PDA

View Full Version : The DP greenhouse is kinda like the IRL airbox

ChrisB
01-29-06, 09:37 AM
Ever notice how the look of the IRL cars is mostly wrecked by that airbox which seems much disproportionately bigger than it needs to be? The cockpit greenhouse of the DP's is kinda like that!

I mean, I'm occasionally watching this thing from Daytona, and those cars just look all WRONG... and if you study them closely, it's mainly the cockpit greenhouse. Why is it so friggin' big? Not only that, but the rake of the windshield is too high also. It's even more obvious when they're next to a Porsche 911. A DP next to a classic like the GT40 would be a total joke!

I would suspect that it's similar in nature to the IRL airboxes in that their size is mandated by the rules book. What are they thinking when they do this? Don't they get it?

Steve Jobs was in the news this week what with the Pixar sale and stuff. Anyone who knows his history knows he's notorious for letting others know about it (sometimes rudely) when things have poor design. It would be interesting to have him talk to (or yell at) the guys who mandate the body specs and dimensions for the DP (and IRL too).

cart7
01-29-06, 09:44 AM
The DP lineage is a tried and true one.

http://www.tdrake.net/motw/pix/amc-pacer.jpg

http://www.raw-footage.com/Rolex24-2004/TNM/54-2748_small.jpg

:gomer:

NismoZ
01-29-06, 09:45 AM
I don't know for certain but I have heard it said that the "design" was created far less to please the eye or the wind and more to protect the driver in serious accidents.

Accipiter
01-29-06, 11:03 AM
If that's the case, when you see how much head room Justin Wilson has in the car, you can see how much they overdid it.

nissan gtp
01-29-06, 11:18 AM
bubblecars :thumdown:

and NASCAR is next, the "car of the future" has the same bloated looking greenhouse.

Ozarkian
01-29-06, 11:35 AM
I don't know for certain but I have heard it said that the "design" was created far less to please the eye or the wind and more to protect the driver in serious accidents.

We talking about the Pacer or the DP here?

indyfan31
01-29-06, 12:57 PM
My wife has never seen a DP before today. She wakes up, sits down in front of the TV, watches for 10 seconds and says .... "I don't know why, but those cars are ugly." I'm still laughing. :rofl: