PDA

View Full Version : NFL Playoff Pick-um

Wheel-Nut
01-27-06, 11:54 AM
Did I miss the update after Confrence Championship round?

Sean O'Gorman
01-27-06, 06:47 PM
I'm kicking ass, what more do you need to know?

Stu
01-27-06, 06:54 PM
Did I miss the update after Confrence Championship round?

There was no update. But SOG is in the lead.

Ankf00
01-28-06, 04:00 PM
Aggy is crying, again...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2309668

Texas A&M unhappy Seattle fans called '12th man'
Associated Press

FORT WORTH -- The Seattle Seahawks are facing the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl, but they have an off-the-field battle brewing with Texas A&M.

School officials are upset with the Seahawks' use of the "12th Man" theme to recognize their fan support. A&M has legal claims to the "12th Man" moniker, a school tradition that dates to the 1920s.
Kyle Field
Texas A&M contends the 12th man lives at Kyle Field, not in Seattle.

The Seahawks have celebrated their fans as a "12th Man" since the 1980s, when they used to turn the now-demolished Kingdome into one of the NFL's loudest venues.

Sean O'Gorman
01-28-06, 04:18 PM
Even though I'm not much of a Browns fan, I do know their 12th man actually makes a difference in games.

The Dawg pound grew and grew. Along the way, they began to get national recognition, and got a reputation as being a bunch of unruly fans sitting in the cheap seats. This was a reputation that they relished, and as the seasons went on, they did everything they could to uphold and expand it. Many Browns players stated that this group was no less than a 12th man on the field. The Pound proved this on more than one occasion, but perhaps the most remembered example of this was a game against the hated Denver Broncos.

Denver came to Cleveland, on the heels of beating them in the AFC Championship game the year before. The two teams did battle, and early in the fourth quarter, John Elway found his offense pinned against the goal line, on the Dawg Pound side of the field. The crowd noise was so loud, that Elway's line couldn't hear the calls from their QB. That's not where the harrasment ended, though. Fans from the vaunted Dawg Pound began pelting the Broncos with everything from Milkbones to batteries. This continued for about 10 minutes, and even warnings to the fans from the referee couldn't stop this attack. As it turned out, the game officials had to move Denver to the other side of the field to finally end this "Air War." This move, one not performed in the NFL for as long as anyone could remember, was extremely significant because it put the Broncos in a position where they were driving against the wind. This turned out to be a huge factor as Cleveland forced a Denver punt into the wind, and set up excellent field position. Cleveland used this field position to win the game.

dando
01-28-06, 05:09 PM
Even though I'm not much of a Browns fan, I do know their 12th man actually makes a difference in games.

Hence the famous quotage from Bengals coach Sam Wyche after a few snowballs were tossed during a game in the late 80s:

You don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati!! --Sam Wyche

:D :laugh:

-Kevin

Stu
01-29-06, 12:30 PM
well I will make the first official pick:

Pittsburgh

rabbit
02-01-06, 12:50 PM
I guess this is the Super Bowl picks thread. I can't find another one.

I'll take Pittsburgh. If WB needs a score for a tiebreaker, I'll go with 28-17.

MVP=Roethlisberger :thumbup:

Wheel-Nut
02-01-06, 01:05 PM
I'm sticking with a winner . . . . Pittsburgh

Dr. Corkski
02-01-06, 01:10 PM
Carolina. :cry:

Ankf00
02-01-06, 03:49 PM
I would like to see Cowher win, also because Cowboys fans hate Pittsburgh for obvious reasons. Dallas fans squirming brings me joy :)

However, I want to see Joey Porter on his butt all game long...

"They don't want to play smashmouth football," Porter said. "They want to trick you. They want to do the hurry-up offense. They want to try to catch you substituting. They don't want to just call a play, get up there (and) run a play. They want to make you think."

awww, poor baby, having to think :(

dando
02-01-06, 07:34 PM
Yo, WB...still disconsolate after the Nags gots pwn3d by Steeltown? ;)

"I'll take the Supewr Bowl XL Champions for $1K, Alex."

"Who are the Seahags?"

-Kevin

dando
02-01-06, 07:36 PM
I would like to see Cowher win, also because Cowboys fans hate Pittsburgh for obvious reasons. Dallas fans squirming brings me joy :)

What kills me about the comment Porter made is that it came after the Stillers ran @ least three trick plays against the Bengals. :saywhat:

****ing moron. :laugh:

-Kevin

EDwardo
02-01-06, 10:27 PM
So, where is WB and his, "lets have some fun" picks? Nag fatigue?

Stealers gonna do a rain dance.......... :D

Insomniac
02-02-06, 10:26 AM

I agree about the thinking, but Peyton hurrying up to the line while the other team is substituting for a cheap 5 yards is pretty sad...

racermike
02-02-06, 03:39 PM
Hope your all ready to eat crow on Monday,

After Seattle wins 41-14

Ankf00
02-02-06, 03:46 PM
I agree about the thinking, but Peyton hurrying up to the line while the other team is substituting for a cheap 5 yards is pretty sad...

that's the exact advantage of the hurry up... the D is either tired out, or taken advantage of while they try to sub.

UT did that no-huddle against USC for the same exact reasons, and I was calling for it before the game. attack depth w/ speed.

tell you what, if Joey Porter decides to quit disguising blitzes and taking part in zone blitzes, then he can whine, until then he can shut it about having to "think"

Insomniac
02-02-06, 04:52 PM
Hope your all ready to eat crow on Monday,

After Seattle wins 41-14

I hope this happens. :)

Insomniac
02-02-06, 04:56 PM
that's the exact advantage of the hurry up... the D is either tired out, or taken advantage of while they try to sub.

UT did that no-huddle against USC for the same exact reasons, and I was calling for it before the game. attack depth w/ speed.

tell you what, if Joey Porter decides to quit disguising blitzes and taking part in zone blitzes, then he can whine, until then he can shut it about having to "think"

I have no problem with the no huddle. But it's not like the other team is stupid. They aren't trying to substitute when the other team is at the line. The Colts aren't at the line and they start sibstituting and Peyton hurries everyone up there to snap it. Not only that, it's to get the cheap 5 yards. It's not even to catch the team out of place/position and hit a big play. Or take the free shot since you're going to get 5 yards.

Ankf00
02-02-06, 05:20 PM
It's the D's responsibility to have who they want out there before the snap whenever it comes, 5 yards or 50.

also: I never said Peyton wasn't a tosser... just that whining about facing a hurry-up, audibles, and having to "think" is for little b@#$es.

TKGAngel
02-04-06, 11:57 AM
Picking Seattle to win on Sunday.

I have lousy numbers in my pool (S-2, P-0), so that looks like $2 down the drain.

Stu
02-04-06, 12:21 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a118/icemanstuewe/ourtowel.jpg

Don Quixote
02-04-06, 02:02 PM
Seattle, just to be different.

Lizzerd
02-04-06, 11:41 PM
I think this is a Super Bowl pickem thread. If not, my two cents...

Steelers 21
Seahawks 17

stroker
02-05-06, 01:39 AM
I'm a cheesehead and I don't really care much who wins. Gotta take the Hawks due to Holmgren, though. I think it's gonna be close--three point game. I hope nobody gets hurt.

Stu
02-05-06, 01:19 PM
Per my conversation last night with SOG. He seemed pretty solid about picking Pittsbrugh although he still seemed a little hesitant.

He did say however that he wont make his pick until the last second, so expect it around 6:15 or so.

Little runt made sure he is gonna have internet access at his friends (yes he has 1 or 2 of them) house right before the game.

dando
02-05-06, 01:28 PM
Per my conversation last night with SOG. He seemed pretty solid about picking Pittsbrugh although he still seemed a little hesitant.

He did say however that he wont make his pick until the last second, so expect it around 6:15 or so.

Little runt made sure he is gonna have internet access at his friens (yes he has 1 or 2 of them) house right before the game.
Taking this a bit too seriously? He's acting like he's never won anything b4... :gomer: :D

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
02-05-06, 04:18 PM
I think I'm going to....

(keep scrolling)

(a little further....)

(you're almost there!)

Make my pick in my next post. :D

It isn't so much that I've never won anything, but its more fun seeing it drive Stu up a wall.

dando
02-05-06, 04:34 PM
nrc, can you conveniently reboot the server(s) ~6pm ET? :D

-Kevin

nrc
02-05-06, 04:37 PM
Since WB hasn't been around to call this. I'm going to lay some ground rules so that we're not treated to a 300 post "Did not," "Did too," thread.

If WickerBill doesn't appear from the mists to call a deadline:

No picks will be valid after 6:20PM EST according to the posted time on the forum (doesn't matter whether the forum clock is accurate or not).

No pick will be valid if it is edited in any way.

My pick: the Seahawks.

Sean O'Gorman
02-05-06, 04:38 PM
My pick: Steelers

dando
02-05-06, 04:40 PM
My pick: the Seahawks.
Same here.

-Kevin

Cam
02-05-06, 05:51 PM
Burgh.

-There! I just gave 'em the kiss o' death! :cry:

skaven
02-05-06, 06:10 PM
Seattle then...

Opposite Lock
02-05-06, 06:14 PM
Stillers.

Ankf00
02-05-06, 11:11 PM
Porter pushed me over to pulling for the Seahawks, that and Holmgren calls plays like I like it. Sucks for them...

Great to see Cowher, Bus, and Rooney win the Lombardi trophy, though :cool:

oh yea, and Casey Hampton's player intro was :cool: too ;)

dando
02-05-06, 11:29 PM
Meh. Could care less either way. The 'hags had their chances in the 1st half, but couldn't take advantage of field position and good play by their D. They just couldn't close the deal when they had the chance, could have forced Pitt to change teir gameplan. The refs had their heads up their @sses on several calls. How they called that penalty on Hasslebeck on the INT is beyond me. :shakehead

-Kevin

Stu
02-05-06, 11:56 PM
It isn't so much that I've never won anything, but its more fun seeing it drive Stu up a wall.

My pick: Steelers

It's not really driving me up the wall when I knew 10 days ago you were picking Pittsburgh.

dando
02-05-06, 11:58 PM
Oh, and Joey Porter can suck my dick. Line up and play straight up foosball? BS! The Steelers ran more 'trick' plays than any other team in the playoffs. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but admit it and don't mouth off about how other teams play. :flame:

-Kevin