PDA

View Full Version : Andretti's Final "Statement" To The Fans

JoeBob
03-25-03, 09:34 PM
"Remember that thing I autographed for you? Um... can I have it back?"

http://www.andretti.com/HTML/News/NewsDetail.asp?ID=171

ANDRETTI APPEALS TO FANS FOR HELP IN TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

Photos, Autograph Cards Sought for Indianapolis Exhibit
PHOENIX, Arizona (March 24, 2003) – With the Indianapolis 500 and his retirement from professional driving just 64 days away, Michael Andretti is appealing to race fans across North America and around the world to assist him in creating a photographic exhibit that will highlight memorable moments of his twenty year career as well as pay homage to the scores of fans whose have supported him over the past two decades.

As part of the recently announced Countdown to Indy program Andretti, who has been racing top-tier Indy-style cars since 1983, is seeking fan photos and other visual materials that will become part of a permanent online collection as well as a temporary exhibit he will launch during this year’s 87th running of the Indianapolis 500.

“Over the past twenty years I’ve autographed thousands of cards and photographs of myself or my race cars for fans,” says Andretti who will retire to focus exclusively on the newly formed Andretti Green Racing team with his partners Kim Green and Kevin Savoree.

“I’ve signed some outstanding action and candid photos as well as many of myself with a fan or with someone’s family members. When you see someone in an autograph session you don’t really have much of a chance to ask questions about the photos you’re signing, but I’ve often wondered about many of them and whom they belonged to. I thought it would be interesting to look back at my career through the eyes of race fans and so I am inviting them to send me images they have taken between 1983 and 2003 along with a short description or caption that we can put on display in Indianapolis during the month of May as well as house permanently on the Andretti family website.”

Along with photos, Andretti is also seeking event posters or other visuals including copies of each of the race team autograph cards produced for him between 1983 and 2003. The exhibit will be opened to the public in early May and details on the location and hours will be announced shortly.

With a racing record that includes 15 IndyCar Series seasons with at least one victory; 309 CART starts (for which he is the series all-time leader); 313 IndyCar starts; 6,658 career laps led including 398 laps led at the Indianapolis 500 in six races (which leaves him 12th on the all time laps led list and most of any driver who has yet to win the race); 13 Indianapolis 500 starts and the1991 CART Championship, Andretti remains one of the most dominant and talented drivers in American racing history.

Those interested in contributing photos and/or “hero” cards for exhibition can send them to:

Paula Prime
Andretti International
630 Selvaggio Drive, Suite 500
Nazareth, PA 18064

All contributors are asked to include their name, address and daytime telephone number with their photographs so that they may be contacted regarding authenticity and permissions. Those who wish to have their originals scanned and returned are asked to send a self-addressed, stamped envelope with the correct postage along with their photo. All digital images should be sent on CD, memory card or diskette. Email submissions can be sent to fans@andretti.com.

“I’m really excited to have the chance to see the photos and get to know the stories that go along with them,” says Andretti. “Twenty years is a long time and it’s going to be a lot of fun to see what’s out there. I really appreciate all the time and effort fans have given to supporting me since I began racing. I’d like to let everyone know who these wonderful people are and what they mean to me. It’s been a great twenty years.”

Ziggy
03-25-03, 09:54 PM
Hey Mike

Just imagine Me, flipping you the bird.

Ziggy

WickerBill
03-25-03, 09:56 PM
Cool. All my stuff is on it's way with "sell out" written in Sharpie on each piece... except maybe the 8x10 might hold "Mario would have won 8 titles in your equipment."

Ziggy
03-25-03, 10:00 PM
Just remember, there is still time to get the "thumbs up" from the stretcher sequence. Hang it right by your flipping Stan Fox photo....

Ziggy

Chief
03-26-03, 12:10 AM
Too funny. I'll sell them to him, after all it's a business decision for me.

FortyOneFord
03-26-03, 01:31 AM
Send him some stuff from his F1 days. He ought to love that.

This guy is a bigger ***king tewl than I ever imagined.

chop456
03-26-03, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Chief
Too funny. I'll sell them to him, after all it's a business decision for me.

:D

FMA

Napoleon
03-26-03, 06:54 AM
This is rich.

True story, there is a coarse worker who is from the northeast Ohio area who has worked everything from club to pro events for many years. She is known for taking many pictures at events.

Last year at Cleveland she was in charge of something like allowing access to vehicles to the pit lane. She sees Mikey and having brought with her a picture she took of Mike when he ran a racing school at Nelson Ledges way back in the late 70's she walks up to him, picture in hand, and says while extending her hand with the picture to him "I was working at the race school you took at Nelson Ledges in your Formula Ford and took this picture. I thought you may want it".

Mikes response was to not even bother looking at the picture and saying "no thanks" and turning away.

I doubt she would make the same offer today.

RTKar
03-26-03, 07:46 AM
Fat chance, just say no, don't do it......wouldn't it be wonderful if no one responded?

JLMannin
03-26-03, 01:17 PM
309 CART starts and 313 IndyCar starts? Are 309 of them double counted?

Looks like the IRL is taking credit of the CART years in driver starts.

pchall
03-26-03, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by JLMannin
309 CART starts and 313 IndyCar starts? Are 309 of them double counted?

Looks like the IRL is taking credit of the CART years in driver starts.

Remember all the indignant posts at SpeedNet and RASI when CART included AAA/USAC results in the cumlative history of the championship?

They are consumate hypocrites.

Hink
03-26-03, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by WickerBill
Cool. All my stuff is on it's way with "sell out" written in Sharpie on each piece... except maybe the 8x10 might hold "Mario would have won 8 titles in your equipment."

Simply Brilliant.

DaveL
03-26-03, 04:23 PM
I'd give Mikey my final statement, but I don't know how to make the "finger" emoticon.

devilmaster
03-26-03, 04:30 PM
Dave, go to http://www.mysmilies.com

Look under the obscene catagory.

like these: http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ed/the_finger.gif http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/geno/321.gif http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/funny/moon.gif

Steve

Napoleon
05-19-03, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Napoleon
This is rich.

True story, there is a coarse worker who is from the northeast Ohio area who has worked everything from club to pro events for many years. She is known for taking many pictures at events.

Last year at Cleveland she was in charge of something like allowing access to vehicles to the pit lane. She sees Mikey and having brought with her a picture she took of Mike when he ran a racing school at Nelson Ledges way back in the late 70's she walks up to him, picture in hand, and says while extending her hand with the picture to him "I was working at the race school you took at Nelson Ledges in your Formula Ford and took this picture. I thought you may want it".

Mikes response was to not even bother looking at the picture and saying "no thanks" and turning away.

I doubt she would make the same offer today.

Well I ran into the woman I was talking about above. I made a joke about Mikey and she asked me if I had heard about him gathering old pictures and stuff. She went ahead and sent it to him, although she was tempted to write a catty note to send with it.

RacinM3
05-19-03, 12:47 PM
I've seen this. I love how if you want your stuff back YOU have to send the SASE. Mikey can't even pick up the return postage. As I posted elsewhere, I'm surprised that if you want the stuff scanned into computer and sent back, they're not asking you to provide the computer and scanner too.

Maybe I'll send the ashes of all my Mikey memorabilia - after all, after his defection and attitude it's representative of his career. Oh, wait, I don't have any Mikey memorabilia.

Kate
05-19-03, 02:57 PM
Sorry, Mikey, I never saved anything of yours. I didn't like you when you were a pimple faced brat standing at your dad's elbow, and I don't like you now.

Contact Paul Page. Judging by the fact that he was known to speak your name twelve times in five minutes, he's probably got quite a shrine.

DjDrOmusic
05-20-03, 03:03 AM
I think I'll send an 8x10 of a big shadow, with the caption "Hi Mikey, Here's a picture of your Dad's shadow that you were in your whole career, and that you will never escape, By the way, you learned nothing from him about how to treat the little people you love to pi$$ on all the time!";) :p

Kate
05-20-03, 06:47 AM
Isn't it curious that he didn't care a damn for the "little people" until he perceived "they" could do something to make him look like something he isn't and never will be -- a beloved racing legend?

Hubris is a dangerous thing. This could backfire big time and I hope it does.

cartmanoz
05-20-03, 06:52 AM
I hope no-one hands anything in. I think it's rather pathetic that he's asking for things back at all!

bullet
05-20-03, 06:41 PM
Andretti Appeals to Fans for Help in Trip Down Memory Lane?

Uh, did I read that right? Fans? There are no fans.

Kate
05-21-03, 12:37 PM
http://www.rfmsports.com/Editorials/Editorialsindex.html

RaceChic
05-21-03, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the "accurate" and good read, Kate. :thumbup:
Or should I say truthful? Whatever. It's what goes through my head when I think of Mario's son. :shakehead

RaceGrrl
05-21-03, 01:33 PM
Mikey made his final "statement" to the fans when he left CART.

Don Quixote
05-21-03, 02:48 PM
Kate, nicely done! Which reminds me, what ever happened to Michaelhatesfans at 7G?

Spicoli
05-21-03, 04:16 PM
Excellent work. Crackforum will be in full meltdown.

Lizzerd
05-21-03, 06:06 PM
Very nice, Kate. And very well written. Couldn't have done better myself.
:thumbup:

I can't believe the audacity of that guy, either...

cart7
05-21-03, 06:25 PM
Nice job Kate. :thumbup:

also

:thumbup: to your WRC article. It needed to be said.

Kate
05-21-03, 10:30 PM
Well, Mr. Bryan Herta saw my editorial and let us say he was not pleased. :mad: Well, we should not expect everyone in the world to like us, or we'll never say anything worth hearing.

Opinions are neither true nor false. They are opinions.

Ziggy
05-21-03, 10:43 PM
Kate, that was a GREAT letter, or article

(and we dont agree on much, trust me)

Ziggy

JoeBob
05-21-03, 10:54 PM
Kate,

I especially liked the part that went "Remember that thing I signed for you? Can I have it back?"

Its almost like I wrote it myself

:D :D :D

Kate
05-22-03, 12:45 PM
Sorry, I should have credited you with that.... I meant to although we all know what's paved with good intentions ... that's why I put it in quotes and italics, actually. .:o

If you give me your name or what name you want to credit it to, I'll add it in.

P.S. With the exception of Mr. Herta, and a halfhearted attempt by AR1 to defend YMA, everyone else has agreed with us. This may turn out to be the Meltdown of the Century

DjDrOmusic
05-22-03, 12:56 PM
Very Good Kate, Bravo. I hope the ungrateful little $#!t reads it. Of course with his affection towards the fans I doubt that will happen. I'm honored that you thought my shadow comment was worthy to to mention. :)

Kate
05-22-03, 06:47 PM
Whilst riffling through the May 19, 2003 issue of Autoweak I discovered why Mr. Herta was so passionate in his defence of Young Mikey:

Bryan Herta will do more than be a just-in-case Indianapolis 500 driver for Robby Gordon at Andretti Green Racing. Former CART driver Herta will take the seat reservd for the injured Dario Franchitti (broken back) at the IRL events in Texas and Colorado Springs, and maybe more, in June. Franchitti is expected to be out of action for at least three months because of an early April motorcycle accident. Herta, 32, who took the job just after testing Team Nasamax's alternative fuel Reynard-Cosworth at Le Mans, will turn down a chance to compete the 24 hour race to drive the AGR car. Herta was to drive Le Mans with Romain Dumas of France and Robbie Stirling of Canada.

Not exactly a disinterested bystander, eh?

Don Quixote
05-22-03, 07:43 PM
Who would have guessed that Herta would get any ride in an all oval series anyway?

Kate
05-23-03, 12:20 PM
I have received roughly 600 hits on that particular editorial. Out of all those people, besides Mr. Herta there has been ONE who defended Young Mr. Andretti.

Don't you find that interesting?

Hink
05-23-03, 12:28 PM
Yeah - Andretti is firmly in the "If they don't like you, join 'em" crowd.

Kate
05-24-03, 08:41 AM
AR1 has the interview with Mikey/Marco posted (some salient excerpts appear on crapwagon.com ) and it's kind of interesting to hear that Mikey raced not for love of racing but for fear of failure; and that he was in such a hurry to leave the press conference and avoid all further (unscripted) questions that he left Marco behind!

I rest my case. :D

RTKar
05-24-03, 09:34 AM
Michaels final statement in racing "...and Andretti slows on the back stretch..."

cartmanoz
05-24-03, 07:56 PM
How about '...and Andretti stuff it into the first turn wall on the first lap!!!'