PDA

View Full Version : My Sony VAIO Laptop Two Months On

racer2c
01-25-06, 03:38 PM
Day 2: I go to burn my first DVD on my new laptop and I receive a "No DVD burning device available" message. Hmm, that's weird, it has a DVD burner. A reinstallation of the drives drivers fixes it. No biggy, I guess.

Day 25: I'm cleaning my screen and notice a little stubbern spot that won't come off. Hey, wait a sec, that's not dirt it's a burnt pixal! Grumble mumble grumble!

Day 37: I hit reply on my Outlook email and I get a message that my default editor is not configured. Hey, this has been working fine since I got this thing! outlok won't let me send emails so I do a repair. Doesn't fix it. I uninstall it and reinstall but get a message that the install exe isn't valid. I research the issue and download a registry cleaner from M$ that is supposed to fix the install problem. It doesn't. I choose to reformat. it's new and not much on it, so I reformat and within an hour I'm back up and running perfectly.

Day 50: I had to go into the office and when i got home I proceed to take my laptop out of it's bag, open it up and low and behold, three arrow keys and the 'end' key fall right out as I lift the screen. That was the first day it was ever out of the house.

This was a fairly top model too. I'm not happy.

Spicoli
01-25-06, 04:06 PM
Day 2: I go to burn my first DVD on my new laptop and I receive a "No DVD burning device available" message. Hmm, that's weird, it has a DVD burner. A reinstallation of the drives drivers fixes it. No biggy, I guess.

Day 25: I'm cleaning my screen and notice a little stubbern spot that won't come off. Hey, wait a sec, that's not dirt it's a burnt pixal! Grumble mumble grumble!

Day 37: I hit reply on my Outlook email and I get a message that my default editor is not configured. Hey, this has been working fine since I got this thing! outlok won't let me send emails so I do a repair. Doesn't fix it. I uninstall it and reinstall but get a message that the install exe isn't valid. I research the issue and download a registry cleaner from M$ that is supposed to fix the install problem. It doesn't. I choose to reformat. it's new and not much on it, so I reformat and within an hour I'm back up and running perfectly.

Day 50: I had to go into the office and when i got home I proceed to take my laptop out of it's bag, open it up and low and behold, three arrow keys and the 'end' key fall right out as I lift the screen. That was the first day it was ever out of the house.

This was a fairly top model too. I'm not happy.

Nice blog. :D

racer2c
01-25-06, 04:13 PM
Nice blog. :D

I'm all about the blog. :)

Gnam
01-25-06, 04:25 PM
PEBKAC. :p

KLang
01-25-06, 04:26 PM
I just bought a VGN-S580 a couple weeks ago to use for astrophotography. Haven't used it much yet but no problems so far. We've been buying Sony's for home use for quite a few years now with never a problem. Hope their quality control hasn't slipped.

indyfan31
01-25-06, 04:27 PM
A friend of mine bought a $500 HP laptop. Can't wait to see what happens to THAT in a month or so.

KLang
01-25-06, 04:30 PM
Day 2 and 37 problems kinda sound like a bad hard drive. Have you run the check disk utility?

racer2c
01-25-06, 04:33 PM
Right. If I wasn't a 20 some year PC user, who makes a lucritive living as a developer and all around PC geek who at one time was on cloud nine because I was the first on the block to have SLI Voodoo 2's who I just had to OC them to 250mhz along with my OC'd Celeron 300A to 550mhz back in '97/'98 I just might believe you. :p

racer2c
01-25-06, 04:35 PM
Day 2 and 37 problems kinda sound like a bad hard drive. Have you run the check disk utility?

Actually didn't. I'm leaning towards Norton having somehand it those two. i found some message boards with people with similer problems and they mentioned new updates by norton hosed theri stuff. i uninstalled the most recent updates with no affect.

B3RACER1a
01-25-06, 07:27 PM
I bought a $500 Acer laptop 6 months ago, no probs at all. Its junk, but does it does all my CAD stuff. Crossing fingers! :D

Stu
01-25-06, 07:38 PM
A friend of mine bought a $500 HP laptop. Can't wait to see what happens to THAT in a month or so.

Probaby nothing cuz its an HP.

nissan gtp
01-25-06, 09:21 PM
http://crispierry.typepad.com/applepie/logo-apple.jpg

:D

cart7
01-25-06, 09:27 PM
Sony laptop, haha, sony laptop. :D

I guess you're finding out why Sony has been slowly sliding off their pedestal they've been on for so long. ;)

pfc_m_drake
01-25-06, 10:00 PM
Right. If I wasn't a 20 some year PC user, who makes a lucritive living as a developer and all around PC geek who at one time was on cloud nine because I was the first on the block to have SLI Voodoo 2's who I just had to OC them to 250mhz along with my OC'd Celeron 300A to 550mhz back in '97/'98 I just might believe you. :p
There are no words for how much this post kicks ass.

dando
01-25-06, 10:37 PM
Sony = the GM of consumer electronics. :gomer:

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
01-25-06, 10:40 PM
I will never purchase a Sony product. Nothing like a company that will make a product for listening to digital music, and then sue people for downloading digital music for said player, only to place spyware on the legal forms of the music. :shakehead

racer2c
01-25-06, 11:03 PM
I'm sunk guys! Why oh why to I subject myself to such self torture! I just got back from Best Buy after dropping off my laptop. I bought the accidental plan and they are going to put a new keyboard in it. They won't replace the monitor until there are three burnt pixals though so I'm stuck with that one little tiny pixel laughin' at me every time I boot that SOB up.

Oh, but back to why I'm sunk. Well, I can't stand not having the latest and greatest. So tonight I bought a 50" Grand WEGA™ SXRD™ HDTV. 1080p baby! The only other 1080p tv they had was a Mitsi that didn't come close to the Sony IMO. F'n Roethlisberger's gonna be throwing me the football!
They had to order it so I don't get it until Saturday. I hope I have better luck with this than with my laptop.

I'll just have to buy an Xbox360 to compensate for my Sony purchase. :)

racer2c
01-25-06, 11:04 PM
I will never purchase a Sony product. Nothing like a company that will make a product for listening to digital music, and then sue people for downloading digital music for said player, only to place spyware on the legal forms of the music. :shakehead

yeah, that bugs the crap out of me too. It really does. I won't buy a PS3 because of that.

dando
01-25-06, 11:10 PM
Oh, but back to why I'm sunk. Well, I can't stand not having the latest and greatest. So tonight I bought a 50" Grand WEGA™ SXRD™ HDTV. 1080p baby! The only other 1080p tv they had was a Mitsi that didn't come close to the Sony IMO. F'n Roethlisberger's gonna be throwing me the football!
They had to order it so I don't get it until Saturday. I hope I have better luck with this than with my laptop.

So what's your 1080p HDTV source for that pic, homey? Mmmm, thought so... :p

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
01-26-06, 12:28 AM
yeah, that bugs the crap out of me too. It really does. I won't buy a PS3 because of that.

I wont buy a PS3 because of the problems I had when I owned a PS2. They are about as unreliable as the old NES systems. At least with my Xbox I know that if its going to fail, there are going to be flames, and it is going to be spectacular. :cool:

pfc_m_drake
01-26-06, 01:08 AM
I don't disagree - but if we ever found out the backstory, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the above was more of a BMG thing than a Sony thing, but that's just my guess.

Classic Apex
01-26-06, 01:08 AM
I bought a Toshiba Satellite widescreen in September. It runs for at least 8 hours a day, and I've never had one problem with it.

Now because I have posted this info, I fully expect it to crap-out on me tomorrow.

:D

Stu
01-26-06, 08:06 AM
So what's your 1080p HDTV source for that pic, homey? Mmmm, thought so... :p

-Kevin

I'm sure he'll buy HDDVD or Blue Ray DVD in 2-3 months when they hit the shelves too.

Cam
01-26-06, 09:54 AM

Good grief! Going from one extreme to another!!! :thumdown:

KLang
01-26-06, 10:20 AM
I'm sure he'll buy HDDVD or Blue Ray DVD in 2-3 months when they hit the shelves too.

It won't matter, the Sony doesn't accept a 1080p input. From what I've read, so far HP makes the only sets that accept the 1080p signal at this point. There is also no guarantee that the new HD DVD players will output 1080p either. I've read it will likely be 1080i.

KLang
01-26-06, 10:22 AM
So tonight I bought a 50" Grand WEGA™ SXRD™ HDTV. 1080p baby! The only other 1080p tv they had was a Mitsi that didn't come close to the Sony IMO.

Sweet! One of the best, if not the best, RP sets on the market right now.

Insomniac
01-26-06, 11:00 AM

Please don't bring up anything related to 3dfx. It saddens me. :(

Insomniac
01-26-06, 11:03 AM
I wont buy a PS3 because of the problems I had when I owned a PS2. They are about as unreliable as the old NES systems. At least with my Xbox I know that if its going to fail, there are going to be flames, and it is going to be spectacular. :cool:

My NES still works. :)

Insomniac
01-26-06, 11:05 AM
I don't disagree - but if we ever found out the backstory, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the above was more of a BMG thing than a Sony thing, but that's just my guess.

It's a RIAA thing. Have to protect the labels insane profits while ripping off artists and protect the only point of their existence.

Insomniac
01-26-06, 11:06 AM
It won't matter, the Sony doesn't accept a 1080p input. From what I've read, so far HP makes the only sets that accept the 1080p signal at this point. There is also no guarantee that the new HD DVD players will output 1080p either. I've read it will likely be 1080i.

Still nice to have a line doubler. :)

racer2c
01-26-06, 11:29 AM
The 'sales guy' was telling me it will upsample the 1080i to 1080p. Any truth to that?

KLang
01-26-06, 11:45 AM
The 'sales guy' was telling me it will upsample the 1080i to 1080p. Any truth to that?

Yes. It will covert everything to 1080p. Deinterlacing 1080i to 1080p should be simple.

dando
01-26-06, 07:48 PM
in 2-3 months

My point, grasshopper. But he mentioned the Super Bowl...he ain't gonna find that in 1080p nowheres in years. 1080p is years away from becoming a standard format. Heck, mfgs are still releasing 480 and 720p products left and right.

-Kevin

dando
01-26-06, 07:57 PM
True. Hence why I am buying an HD conversion DVD player for $200 to mate with my new $2K 720p front PJ (1080p PJ = $10K). However, the source material is still lower res, and with upconversion, YMMV, depending on the source. However, my DVD player will co$t 1/10th of the 1080p HD players once they are released. :)

I should start a series called the Frugal AV Guy on PBS. ;)

-Kevin

racer2c
01-26-06, 11:54 PM
True. Hence why I am buying an HD conversion DVD player for $200 to mate with my new $2K 720p front PJ (1080p PJ = $10K). However, the source material is still lower res, and with upconversion, YMMV, depending on the source. However, my DVD player will co$t 1/10th of the 1080p HD players once they are released. :)

-Kevin

Another question, the specs on the Monstor HDMI cable says it supports up to 720p/1080i. It doesn't mention 1080p. When I get a HDVD player will I need a new 1080p cable or do you think this one will work and that the progressive 1080 just wasn't out much when they packaged the cable?

Insomniac
01-27-06, 08:57 AM
My point, grasshopper. But he mentioned the Super Bowl...he ain't gonna find that in 1080p nowheres in years. 1080p is years away from becoming a standard format. Heck, mfgs are still releasing 480 and 720p products left and right.

-Kevin

I'd be surprised if it ever becomes a broadcast standard. Those are the types of standards that do not change quickly. However, that will not stop cable and satellite from offering them. I know DirecTV will be sending all their HD content down using MPEG4 and coukld easily switch to 1080p if content providers are willing to provide it.

Otherwise, you still get a line doubler. If anyone remembers back to the line doublers used on regular broadcasts. Given HDTV resolution, the improvement won't be as dramatic, but you're still getting it.

Insomniac
01-27-06, 08:58 AM

-Kevin
1/10th? They announced a $500 HD-DVD player at CES. I doubt Blu-Ray will be much more if they want to compete.

Insomniac
01-27-06, 09:00 AM
Another question, the specs on the Monstor HDMI cable says it supports up to 720p/1080i. It doesn't mention 1080p. When I get a HDVD player will I need a new 1080p cable or do you think this one will work and that the progressive 1080 just wasn't out much when they packaged the cable?

Assuming the cable couldn't handle the extra bandwidth (doubtful), your TV can't accept a 1080p signal anyway. You won't need a new cable. BTW--Are you going to use the cable for something right now?

Al Czervik
01-27-06, 09:17 AM
I'm sunk guys! Why oh why to I subject myself to such self torture! I just got back from Best Buy after dropping off my laptop. I bought the accidental plan and they are going to put a new keyboard in it. They won't replace the monitor until there are three burnt pixals though so I'm stuck with that one little tiny pixel laughin' at me every time I boot that SOB up.

Only the 50"? I went for the 60. Incredible picture!

racer2c
01-27-06, 10:54 AM
Only the 50"? I went for the 60. Incredible picture!

I could have walked out of the store with the 60" as I am actually picking up mine tomorrow morning (they didn't have the 50" in stock).
I learned my lesson with the size thing and 60" would be waaaay to big for our family room. It's an awkward room with double french doors on one side leading to the dinning room and on the other side is the entry foyer. So the tv sits in the corner. Wemade our choice off of the 60". I wish the elephant ear speakers were removable though.

I thought that HDDVD and Blu Ray were going to output to 1080p?

Stu
01-27-06, 06:59 PM

-Kevin

REALLY OMG! THE SUPERBOWL ISNT 1080P??????

1080P is still better than having a 1080i or 720p set. Had he bought a 1080i set, he would have an infereior picture since the Superbowl this year is on ABC which broadcasts in 720p.

While 1080p will not be a broadcast standard anytime soon due to bandwidth issues, it will be a HDDVD and Blu Ray DVD standard, so hes buying something future proof.

If I were to buy a TV today, itd be 1080p. Its stupid to buy anything else right now.

nrc
01-27-06, 09:01 PM
If I were to buy a TV today, itd be 1080p. Its stupid to buy anything else right now.

Thanks, I'll keep that extra $1000 in my pocket until it buys me something I can actually use.

Stu
01-27-06, 09:05 PM
Thanks, I'll keep that extra $1000 in my pocket until it buys me something I can actually use.

Like 3 months from now?

nrc
01-27-06, 09:25 PM
Like 3 months from now?

BS. Nobody is going to be broadcasting 1080p 3 months from now. I'm not going to have a 1080p DVD player 3 months from now unless you're planning on dropping one off sometime between now and then.

HD is stunning to watch, but I'm not going to rush out and replace my DVD player when HD DVDs become available.

Stu
01-27-06, 09:33 PM
I said earlier that they wont be broadcasting in 1080p anytime soon, probably not for half a decade.

Do whatever you want man, I just wouldnt spend the money now on a huge TV that will be hard to sell in a few years cuz it doesnt have 1080p capability.

Sean O'Gorman
01-27-06, 09:47 PM
I just wouldnt spend the money now on a huge TV that will be hard to sell in a few years cuz it doesnt have 1080p capability.

Get a real job first, you bum

Stu
01-27-06, 09:52 PM
Get a real job first, you bum

Lets compare paychecks.

Ankf00
01-27-06, 10:15 PM
Lets compare paychecks.

*ahem* *cough* *cough*

Get a real job first...

*awaits stock response* :gomer:

Do whatever you want man, I just wouldnt spend the money now on a huge TV that will be hard to sell in a few years cuz it doesnt have 1080p capability.

shouldn't you, like, you know... get cable before, you know... well, mocking others' TV choices? :gomer:

Stu
01-27-06, 11:05 PM
Who am I mocking? I stuck up for Racer2C's choice for spending the extra money on a 1080p set and yes, I do not think it is smart to be buying a non 1080p set right now, unless you are looking for something cheap to last you 1-2 years. If you are gonna spend the big bucks, spend them.

What does me having cable have to do with anything? The majority of what I want to watch is on regular networks. All I would watch if I had cable would be ESPN 1 through Ocho, Speed, and anything with good racing or Indians baseball. I'm sorry if I don't think thats worth the 50+ dollars a month.

racer2c
01-28-06, 12:09 AM
But but but my TV upconverts!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :)

Insomniac
01-28-06, 12:53 PM
I thought that HDDVD and Blu Ray were going to output to 1080p?

I'm sure they will output 1080p.

racer2c
01-28-06, 01:03 PM

Damn, I just read that my TV will not accept a 1080p source. Everything is upconverted from 1080i. I went back and talked to the sales guy and he said it's because the HDMI cable doesn't support it 'yet'. I don't beleive him.

KLang
01-28-06, 01:07 PM

So far the announced models do not. At least according to a quick google.

I don't think 1080p input is a big deal at this point. I don't see cable, satellite or OTA providing it anytime soon due to bandwith issues. Deinterlacing 1080i to 1080p should be a trivial task and I can't imagine there would be any visable differences between a 1080p input and a deinterlaced 1080i input.

The technology is changing so rapidly it is not possible to make a future-proof purchase IMO. I prefer to buy the best available and enjoy.

Insomniac
01-28-06, 04:28 PM
Damn, I just read that my TV will not accept a 1080p source. Everything is upconverted from 1080i. I went back and talked to the sales guy and he said it's because the HDMI cable doesn't support it 'yet'. I don't beleive him.

You haven't been reading this thread closely enough. ;)

You are right, don't trust him. Has nothing to do with the cable. It was a Sony design decision. I only think very few models actaully accept a 1080p signal, which, as of today is really only useful if you are hooking your PC up to your TV.

A few things you should know. 1080p is just a buzz word right now. LCD, Plasma, DLP, LCoS (SXRD) do not "draw" the screen in an interlaced fashion (odd lines in one pass, even lines in another). They "draw" the screen all at once, 60 times a second. So any of them who have a 1920x1080 native resolution just call them 1080p, regardless of whether or not it can actually accept a 1080p signal. 1080p isn't even an official broadcast standard.

Some time this year, there will be things sending out a 1080p source material (which would mean if your TV accepted it, it wouldn't need to do any conversion to display it). Your TV is going to take any signal it gets (and can accept) and convert it to the native resolution which is 1920 x 1080p. According to what was said at CES, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are supposed to and according to Sony at E3 in 2005, the PS3 is supposed to as well. Although it's interesting that none of their TVs accept a 1080p signal.

Insomniac
01-28-06, 04:31 PM

I don't think 1080p input is a big deal at this point. I don't see cable, satellite or OTA providing it anytime soon due to bandwith issues. Deinterlacing 1080i to 1080p should be a trivial task and I can't imagine there would be any visable differences between a 1080p input and a deinterlaced 1080i input.

The technology is changing so rapidly it is not possible to make a future-proof purchase IMO. I prefer to buy the best available and enjoy.

For some reason, I thought they would, and thought announcements were made at CES to that affect. Would only make sense. Presumably the video would be MPEG2 at 1920x1080, 24fps so it would be a matter of the electronics. Be just like DVD players now (progressive scan vs. non-progressive scan).

Insomniac
01-28-06, 04:43 PM

Sony's BDP-S1 is announced to have 1080p output.
Press Release: http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/6400
Picture: http://news.sel.sony.com/digitalimages/photo?photo_id=185491

I can't find anything for HD-DVD. The Toshiba players coming out in March have specs that only say 720p/1080i and the Pioneer one says it will upconvert to 1080p.

oddlycalm
01-28-06, 05:01 PM

The technology is changing so rapidly it is not possible to make a future-proof purchase IMO. I prefer to buy the best available and enjoy. Agreed, it will take a lot of expensive new equipment purchases on the part of companies that are still in the process of spending a ton of money migrating to HD broadcast equipment before we will see 1080p as a reality. Disk players will undoubtably come first.

For the moment the liquid crystal on silicon (LCoS) light engine on the Sony and JVC sets is the best rear projection technology IMO, so I'd sit back and enjoy the ride. As long as the market is controlled by companies rooted in cultures where "specsmanship" is the major mode of competition, there won't be any pause in the specs race any time soon. ;) Whether any of those spec changes result in an actual visual difference the real question you have to ask when you're buying.

As far as the DVI/HDI cable question, consider this; these are the very same cables we are using to drive our computer monitors to 1920x1200 prgressive scan with no problems. Displays normally don't require dual-link input until they get to WQXGA (2560x1600) resolution. It does require a different cable, but you can buy a 12ft. Belkin dual-link cable for $100.

BTW, dual-link doesn't mean two cables, it means higher bandwidth capability by using dual transmitters and receivers. Both the output of the video device has to be dual-link capable, any switching device in the signal path as well as all of the cabling from end to end. I don't see displays getting to the WQXGA level for quite a while yet due to cost issues. We've only just gotten to semi-affordable ($2200 + $750 vid card) 30" 2560x1600 LCD monitors. Anyway, I don't use my TV as a graphics workstation, so I absolutely don't care. :gomer:

oc

KLang
01-28-06, 07:50 PM
Sony's BDP-S1 is announced to have 1080p output.
Press Release: http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/6400
Picture: http://news.sel.sony.com/digitalimages/photo?photo_id=185491

I can't find anything for HD-DVD. The Toshiba players coming out in March have specs that only say 720p/1080i and the Pioneer one says it will upconvert to 1080p.

:cry: Google let me down. Couldn't have been an operator error. ;)

I'm sure eventually they will all output 1080p. Have the copy management concerns/standards been agreed upon yet? I am sure that my 5 year old HD display with only analog inputs days are numbered.

Insomniac
01-28-06, 09:26 PM
:cry: Google let me down. Couldn't have been an operator error. ;)

I'm sure eventually they will all output 1080p. Have the copy management concerns/standards been agreed upon yet? I am sure that my 5 year old HD display with only analog inputs days are numbered.

I think they have. HDMI/HDCP connector or it downsamples to something like 960x540 (which will at least scale easily on 1 1920x1080 display ;)).

Insomniac
01-28-06, 09:30 PM
Agreed, it will take a lot of expensive new equipment purchases on the part of companies that are still in the process of spending a ton of money migrating to HD broadcast equipment before we will see 1080p as a reality. Disk players will undoubtably come first.

For the moment the liquid crystal on silicon (LCoS) light engine on the Sony and JVC sets is the best rear projection technology IMO, so I'd sit back and enjoy the ride. As long as the market is controlled by companies rooted in cultures where "specsmanship" is the major mode of competition, there won't be any pause in the specs race any time soon. ;) Whether any of those spec changes result in an actual visual difference the real question you have to ask when you're buying.

As far as the DVI/HDI cable question, consider this; these are the very same cables we are using to drive our computer monitors to 1920x1200 prgressive scan with no problems. Displays normally don't require dual-link input until they get to WQXGA (2560x1600) resolution. It does require a different cable, but you can buy a 12ft. Belkin dual-link cable for $100.

BTW, dual-link doesn't mean two cables, it means higher bandwidth capability by using dual transmitters and receivers. Both the output of the video device has to be dual-link capable, any switching device in the signal path as well as all of the cabling from end to end. I don't see displays getting to the WQXGA level for quite a while yet due to cost issues. We've only just gotten to semi-affordable ($2200 + $750 vid card) 30" 2560x1600 LCD monitors. Anyway, I don't use my TV as a graphics workstation, so I absolutely don't care. :gomer:

oc

Very good point on the cable! HDMI cables should have the same bandwidth as a DVI cable.

racer2c
01-29-06, 04:18 PM
Well, I spent most of yesterday getting the new Sony up and running with the new cable reciever I had to get. My old receiver didn't have the HDMI port and the verdict is....it looks like a$$.

I read every page of the tv and reciever manual. Did the advanced setup on the cable box and the picture looks no different when it says it's outputing to 480i than it does when it says 1080i. I switched out the HDMI with my old Monster componant cable and it gives a red tint to all channels and won't let me output to HD modes. Must be a bad box is all I can think of. I'm going to switch out the box tomorrow with a new one.

signed: bummed.

oddlycalm
01-29-06, 06:05 PM
Must be a bad box is all I can think of. I'm going to switch out the box tomorrow with a new one.

signed: bummed. Really sorry to hear that, and you're probably right. Cable boxes are about as crappy a piece of electronics gear as you can find. Made to a price under huge contracts and all. Hope it's just that individual box.

oc

Insomniac
01-29-06, 06:12 PM
Really sorry to hear that, and you're probably right. Cable boxes are about as crappy a piece of electronics gear as you can find. Made to a price under huge contracts and all. Hope it's just that individual box.

oc

Plus it's probably used. Who knows what the person before did with it.

racer2c: You can also inquire about getting a CableCard instead. The drawbacks being you wouldn't be able to order PPV over your remote, access VOD (if your cable comapny has it) or the on screen programming guide. Also, if your cable box is also a DVR you probably don't want that either. It would basically allow you to flip channels like the old days without a cable box. :)

KLang
01-29-06, 06:20 PM
Well, I spent most of yesterday getting the new Sony up and running with the new cable reciever I had to get. My old receiver didn't have the HDMI port and the verdict is....it looks like a$$.

I read every page of the tv and reciever manual. Did the advanced setup on the cable box and the picture looks no different when it says it's outputing to 480i than it does when it says 1080i. I switched out the HDMI with my old Monster componant cable and it gives a red tint to all channels and won't let me output to HD modes. Must be a bad box is all I can think of. I'm going to switch out the box tomorrow with a new one.

signed: bummed.

Are you sure the channels you are trying to watch are HD? With my satellite hook-up I ran both the component cables and an S-Video cable to the display. It looks best when I send 480i to the display over S-Video and let the better scaler in the display do the upconversion. HD I only send over the component cables. Of course that means I need to switch the outputs on the receiver and the inputs on the display depending on what I am watching but a programable remote handles that. Don't know if you can do something like this with a cable box.

OT:
HD ALERT! Tonight on HDNet at 8:00 central, Vertigo//2005 U2 Live from Chicago.

racer2c
01-29-06, 06:36 PM
Are you sure the channels you are trying to watch are HD? With my satellite hook-up I ran both the component cables and an S-Video cable to the display. It looks best when I send 480i to the display over S-Video and let the better scaler in the display do the upconversion. HD I only send over the component cables. Of course that means I need to switch the outputs on the receiver and the inputs on the display depending on what I am watching but a programable remote handles that. Don't know if you can do something like this with a cable box.

OT:
HD ALERT! Tonight on HDNet at 8:00 central, Vertigo//2005 U2 Live from Chicago.

Understanding that not all that is shown on the HD channels are 1080i sources, I went back to Best Buy and checked out their 60" floor model of the same Sony I have. the picture was awe inspiring. They have a dedicated DirectTV feed going to only that TV. It's their 'premier' TV. The guy switched it with their regular cable feed and changed the channels from ESPNHD to FOXHD, to PBSHD and each of them were spectacular and I was standing two feet away so it's not like it's a distance issue at home. The best picture I can get still has pixel-like halo's around peoples heads and people in the background have no detail whatso ever. Whereas the TV at Best Buy looked like you could put your hand into the tv and pull the guys whiskers.

Oh, and I'm running an optical cable from the new cable box into my audio receiver and while it's accepting the digital feed it's only reading it as a ProLogic feed, not DolbyDigital. Another readon to think the cable box is junk. It's an Explorer 8300HD BTW.

KLang
01-29-06, 08:44 PM
Have you tried hooking up a DVD? That should show you if the display is working properly.

racer2c
01-29-06, 10:44 PM
Have you tried hooking up a DVD? That should show you if the display is working properly.

yeah, it displays fine, although admitedly my DVD player needs to be updated itself. I'm looking at the Sony DVD player the upconverts to 720p/1080i.

Link (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7276903&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03013&id=1118839101053)

Stu
01-30-06, 08:19 AM
yeah, it displays fine, although admitedly my DVD player needs to be updated itself. I'm looking at the Sony DVD player the upconverts to 720p/1080i.

Link (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7276903&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03013&id=1118839101053)

You seem like an early adopter, hold off and buy one of the next gen DVD formats instead of a upconverting dvd player. Its more money but also more future proof.

Insomniac
01-30-06, 09:08 AM
You seem like an early adopter, hold off and buy one of the next gen DVD formats instead of a upconverting dvd player. Its more money but also more future proof.

Amazon already has the Toshiba HD-DVD on pre-order for $500.

KLang
01-30-06, 10:20 AM

Good, sounds like the display is OK and the cable box is probably the problem. If you happen to have a 'rabbit ear' antenna laying around you could use that to try to pull in local digital broadcast stations. You might actually get a better picture OTA then with cable anyway.

Joelski
01-30-06, 10:35 AM
My Sony laptop works real good! :gomer:

racer2c
02-01-06, 10:41 PM
Follow up: the cable tech brought a new HD box out, plugged it in and everything was 100%. while he was at it he switched out every cable end (which I never new deteriorated) and the two splitters I had. He said they fade with the years. :)

A buddy of mine at work said they had to switch his HD box out three times before it looked right.

So, now my new Sony is performing flawlessly and I absolutly love it.

I can't wait to get my laptop back. I miss it. :(