PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the memories Mario the Magnificent

devilmaster
01-24-06, 12:50 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=152104&hubname=

One of the greatest NHL players in history is calling it a career.

The Pittsburgh Penguins have called a press conference where Mario Lemieux will announce his retirement. TSN, The NHL Network and TSN.ca will carry the announcement live at 2pm et/11am pt.

Lemieux, 40, has not played since Dec. 16 because of problems caused by an irregular heartbeat. He had been working out regularly and seemed determined to play again this season.

Lemieux first retired in 1997 following years of back pain, a rare bone infection and a bout with cancer. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame later that year, when the Hall waived the three-year waiting period.
Related Info

Lemieux assumed ownership of the team when it came out of bankruptcy in 1999. He then unexpectedly came out of retirement on Dec. 27, 2000, and helped the Penguins advance to the Eastern Conference final in the spring of 2001.

dando
01-24-06, 12:57 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=152104&hubname=
A sad day indeed. :cry: I was hoping to see him once more when the Pens visited Cbus ~2 weeks ago, but I feared his career was over. First Hull, then Mess, not Lemieux. It's gonna take the NHL a long time to rebuild after losing stars like this. :(

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
01-24-06, 12:58 PM
Good riddance.

Hopefully that douche disappears from hockey altogether.

tllips
01-24-06, 01:37 PM
A sad day indeed. :cry: I was hoping to see him once more when the Pens visited Cbus ~2 weeks ago, but I feared his career was over. First Hull, then Mess, not Lemieux. It's gonna take the NHL a long time to rebuild after losing stars like this. :(

-Kevin

I also was hoping to see Mario one last time a week and a half ago. I was looking Forward to the past (Mario) and the future (Crosby) on the same ice surface. Lord knows the Blackhawks weren't worth the price of admission (even thought the Hawks won the game).

There was a story about a week before that game saying that Mario would be out at least 4 more games. That kind of bummed me out.

Dr. Corkski
01-24-06, 01:47 PM
I also was hoping to see Mario one last time a week and a half ago. I was looking Forward to the past (Mario) and the future (Crosby) on the same ice surface. Lord knows the Blackhawks weren't worth the price of admission (even thought the Hawks won the game).

There was a story about a week before that game saying that Mario would be out at least 4 more games. That kind of bummed me out.At least $Bill decided to show the game on TV because the Michael Vick of hockey and that minor league team from Pittsburgh showed up.

Ovechkin = the Future.
Cindy Crosby = overrated hype.

rabbit
01-24-06, 01:59 PM
Good riddance.

http://www.stuntlife.com/forums/images/smilies/boid.gif

Tifosi24
01-24-06, 02:51 PM
The fact that he tried to play this year was admirable, but I have lost a lot of respect for the guy with how he has managed to run the Penguins into the ground. Certainly a hall of famer who was a dominate player in the early '90s.

tllips
01-24-06, 03:27 PM
I think the Pens were already on a crash course with the ground. Mario just couldn't right the ship by himself. Hopefully, this new buyer (assuming the deal goes through) will be able to use the new economics of the NHL to at least keep the team in Pittsburgh.

Hell, they've had the first overall pick in 2 of the last 3 drafts! There's got to be some talent in there somewhere.

Dr. Corkski
01-24-06, 03:34 PM
I think the Pens were already on a crash course with the ground. Mario just couldn't right the ship by himself. Hopefully, this new buyer (assuming the deal goes through) will be able to use the new economics of the NHL to at least keep the team in Pittsburgh.He just accelerated it with his selfishness and shortsightedness.

Hell, they've had the first overall pick in 2 of the last 3 drafts! There's got to be some talent in there somewhere.Talent isn't the reason why they are a pathetic joke. As long as the current ownership group has ANY influence over personnel decisions they will still be a joke. You can no longer win in the NHL on talent alone.

Night Train
01-24-06, 07:53 PM
I'm glad I finally got to see him play in person this year.

mapguy
01-24-06, 09:15 PM
Good riddance.

:thumbup:

dando
01-25-06, 12:33 AM
Good riddance.

Feel free to remember him as you, pot. I know your pedestal is full with Aaron Rogers. :gomer:

In any case, Super Mario's stats as a player speak for themself. He was a star-crossed superstar, and destined to be one of the top two or three scorers of all-time, no matter how you want to spin it in your warped universe. If Mario hadn't have stepped up (twice), there simply wouldn't be hockey in Pittsburgh. Whether that's a good thing or not is TBD, but I'd rather have hockey in Steeltown than Hotlanta any day.

Go back to your cave, Gollum. :p

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
01-25-06, 12:47 AM
There is no "I" in team, but there are two in marIo LemIeux. :gomer:

All the stats mean is that he was that he was one of the most talented hockey players of all time. But he was one of the worst examples of a professional sportsman and owner in sports. Oh, and there haven't been any NHL level hockey in Pittsburgh the last 5 years, unless you consider the Roids Jackets to be a professional team too. :laugh:

The sooner that franchise completely rid themselves of ANY Lemieux influence, the better off they are. Reitre his number (again) and get it over with but don't even let him poison the franchise again after that. :thumbup: