Phil Giebler
Alan Sciuto
Simon Pagenaud
Tony Loniewski
Christiano "Tuka" Rocha

A three day test at Moroso Motorsports Park in Jupiter, Florida, February 6-8

The top two will have rides.

This is the way it should be :cool:

Link (http://www.toyotaatlantic.com/News/Article.asp?ID=1989)

NismoZ
01-23-06, 06:57 PM
Yes...my guess is two from the top 3 on that list. I just sit back and smile when I think what a great deal this "new" Atlantic series is for ChampCar. Brilliant! :D

cameraman
02-09-06, 01:33 PM

Anyone hear anything yet?

Fio1
02-10-06, 02:50 AM
Two rides up for grabs.

Five drivers scheduled:

Phil Giebler
Alan Sciuto
Simon Pagenaud
Tony Loniewski
Christiano "Tuka" Rocha

The top two will have rides.

This is the way it should be :cool:

Link (http://www.toyotaatlantic.com/News/Article.asp?ID=1989)

What determines the top two?

Easy
02-10-06, 10:40 AM
They didn't actually have a driver shoot-out in the traditional sense. Instead, they did a round robin, Rock, Scissors, Paper tourny in the lobby of Uncle Don's hotel.

Sean O'Gorman
02-10-06, 01:48 PM
They didn't actually have a driver shoot-out in the traditional sense. Instead, they did a round robin, Rock, Scissors, Paper tourny in the lobby of Uncle Don's hotel.

,,,, defeats rock!

rabbit
02-10-06, 02:02 PM
,,,, defeats rock!
:laugh:

Easy
02-10-06, 03:23 PM
,,,, defeats rock!

awesome :laugh:

Dr. Corkski
02-10-06, 03:49 PM
,,,, defeats rock! :laugh:

rjohnson999
02-10-06, 11:54 PM
What does it matter? You won't be satisfied no matter who or how.

What determines the top two?

Fio1
02-11-06, 12:00 AM
What does it matter? You won't be satisfied no matter who or how.

100% untrue! :confused: What do you know about anything? :rolleyes: Who the &$%# are you to say who I would be happy with or whatever? :shakehead

I'm betting Giebler and/or Scuito, two guys I rate very highly don't get it because they don't bring the $$$$ Tuka Rocha and the other two guys do. :thumdown:

rjohnson999
02-11-06, 12:10 PM
Your history, Fio, your history. It's all over the net. You seem to always champion drivers who don't get the nod. How long are you going to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different outcome?

100% untrue! :confused: What do you know about anything? :rolleyes: Who the &$%# are you to say who I would be happy with or whatever? :shakehead

I'm betting Giebler and/or Scuito, two guys I rate very highly don't get it because they don't bring the $$$$ Tuka Rocha and the other two guys do. :thumdown:

Fio1
02-11-06, 04:56 PM
Your history, Fio, your history. It's all over the net. You seem to always champion drivers who don't get the nod. How long are you going to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different outcome?

Not really. I've said all alone that Scott Speed is the man, and where is he now? I was the first one in the States that said to look out for Felipe Massa and look where he is now. :cool: Maybe it's because I know what I'm talking about, have you ever considered that? This comes from past racing experiences and working experience. Some guys are really good, but don't have the money to go far, and some guys bought their way to the top. It's a fact of racing, man.

Like I said before, I rate Giebler and Scuito very highly. I've rated both of them for a long time, and hope they get a fair chance. I think this Newman Atlantic, giving back to the sport is a bunch of B.S anyways. It's just another team asking for a s****e load of money.

rjohnson999
02-11-06, 05:42 PM
This is one of the most hypocritical posts ever made. How can you claim to understand the reality of the sport on the one hand and slam Newman Wachs for practicing it on the other?

Not really. I've said all alone that Scott Speed is the man, and where is he now? I was the first one in the States that said to look out for Felipe Massa and look where he is now. :cool: Maybe it's because I know what I'm talking about, have you ever considered that? This comes from past racing experiences and working experience. Some guys are really good, but don't have the money to go far, and some guys bought their way to the top. It's a fact of racing, man.

Like I said before, I rate Giebler and Scuito very highly. I've rated both of them for a long time, and hope they get a fair chance. I think this Newman Atlantic, giving back to the sport is a bunch of B.S anyways. It's just another team asking for a s****e load of money.

Spicoli
02-11-06, 05:57 PM
Atlantics rawks: we are infighting already! :thumbup:

theunions
02-11-06, 05:58 PM
Here's another question...why didn't Sciuto simply go back to PR1 as would've been the logical choice? Simply because he had already consented to participate in this shootout? Or does he know something we don't?

I also will be highly disappointed but not surprised if Phil doesn't land one of those seats.

Sean O'Gorman
02-11-06, 06:08 PM

Emerson Newton-John, Harrison Brix, etc. No offense, but your bias is obvious. Same with pretty much everyone who posts on this forum. theunions will want Giebler to get the spot, I want Loniewski to get it because I outqualified him in the Red Bull search back in '03 (he moved on to the next round, I didn't :mad: ), etc.

mapguy
02-11-06, 06:25 PM
Emerson Newton-John, Harrison Brix, etc.

Don't forget Mike Borkowski.... :gomer:

Fio1
02-12-06, 12:10 AM
My bias towards what? Drivers that are fast and can peddal the car? :rolleyes:
So, I don't rate guys like Buddy Rice and Sam Hornish, no matter how many times they win the Indy 500. Big deal. Isn't that the whole point of forums, to give your opions? A lot of those opinions are based on personal experience, not just by watching races on TV or in person and being a sheep by listening to people like Paul Gentilozzi or Tony George.

nrc
02-12-06, 05:00 AM
Somehow I don't think Paul Newman needs some kid's money. Is Newman's other race team a ride buying operation?

Fio1
02-12-06, 12:06 PM
He's not putting any of his money in the team. It's a deal where someone has an Atlantic budget, can use the 'Newman' association to close the deal. I don't see how that is giving back to the sport? :rolleyes:

theunions
02-12-06, 01:25 PM
According to Robin, only ONE of the original five made the cut?!? :saywhat:

Pageneaud, D'Augustino and/or Grant? (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9955)

Easy
02-13-06, 10:55 AM
I thought D'agostino had a deal for FRenault UK. I heard Tuka had to pull out of the Rock, Paper, Scissors rounds due to a nasty hangnail. This may be why he missed the final three as Mr. Newman is a big believer in this test of hand-eye coordination, anticipation and performance under pressure.

Does anyone know why they held this at one of the worst road courses in the US? Saving $$$$? Or did they want to be in West Palm?

Easy
02-13-06, 11:00 AM

Loniewski doesn't have large backing either. He is/was there because Ove Olsson has worked with him before and knows he's fast.

Moot point now anyway. Once again the series' leading lights pass on American talent and a chance to build popularity by making and marketing American stars.

NismoZ
02-14-06, 12:48 PM
Possibly true from the viewpoint of the overall series, but as a team owner you'd choose nationality and popularity (and perhaps a better chance at winning) over recorded speed and perceived talent?

Dr. Corkski
02-14-06, 12:58 PM
Loniewski doesn't have large backing either. He is/was there because Ove Olsson has worked with him before and knows he's fast.

Moot point now anyway. Once again the series' leading lights pass on American talent and a chance to build popularity by making and marketing American stars.If Loniewski got a sex change he would probably be annouced as Sebastian Bourdais' replacement the next day. :gomer:

Easy
02-14-06, 03:33 PM
Possibly true from the viewpoint of the overall series, but as a team owner you'd choose nationality and popularity (and perhaps a better chance at winning) over recorded speed and perceived talent?

Forsythe, Kalkhoven, Gentilozzi and to a certain extent Paul Newman (due to his very vocal backing of the series) need to see beyond the end of their dick in this situation. Plan for the long term even if it means developing an American driver (even if he's a couple 10ths off the EuroBraz) in your development series who can become a marketable cross-over personality in 5 years and actually help to grow the series. A French Renault World Series driver who will leave for GP2 at the first chance to buy a ride with DPR is not this cross-over personality. Newman-Wachs winning one additional race in Atlantics with a EuroBraz driver will not help keep Champ Car around in 5 years. Finding an American driver that the core customer base, the American public will embrace can help keep this afloat in 5 years.

NismoZ
02-14-06, 05:07 PM
So, that's a "yes", then?

Easy
02-14-06, 05:32 PM
I'm saying they need to develop American talent if they want anyone outside of the hardcore to give a damn after the circus leaves town.

Fio1
02-14-06, 11:29 PM
I'm saying they need to develop American talent if they want anyone outside of the hardcore to give a damn after the circus leaves town.

No kidding! And, all you have to do is look at past history. Look at past champions; Villeneuve, Zanardi, Montoya and DaMatta. They all left the second an offer in F1 arrived. Bourdais would leave tomorrow. That does nobody any good, especially a series needing new fans. What the brass of the series need to do is develop young American or Canadian talent and turn them into the next Sullivan, Rahal, Al jr, Mikey or Vasser. The fact that there are some many good young drivers in America and Canada makes it all the more insulting when a guy says he wants to give back to the sport then hires some French guy no one ever heard of and no one will remember once he leaves for the third driver role at Midland in 2008. :rolleyes:

There are easily a dozen American or Canadian guys around who can do the same job of anyone of these European F3 or F.Renault driverss. All you have to do is give them a chance. Look at Alex Gurney. Someone finally stepped up to the plate and gave him a top ride and he is one of the fastest guys in Daytona Prototypes; out-qualifying ex-F1 drivers & F3000 front runners! And, remember he hasn't done anything for 2 or 3 years. Valiante, same thing! :thumbup:

If these guys are serious in bringing Champcars to the level it once had, then they better take a note from Nascar/Grand-Am and help put stars in the cars, or better yet build new stars by placing them in Atlantics. I would pick guys that will not bail the second a GP2 or F1 test role open up. I.E. pick Americans, Canadian and Mexicans. Champcars is NOT the stepping stone to F1, nor should that be implied! :D

NismoZ
02-14-06, 11:32 PM
Here here! :thumbup: