http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?series=wc&id=2302857

How do ya say 'boogity, boogity, boogity' in Japanese? :gomer:

-Kevin

cameraman
01-23-06, 12:59 PM
boogiry, boogiry, boogiry

Methanolandbrats
01-23-06, 01:06 PM
Please, oh please put a Japanese driver in the car........the incredible hail of chicken bones and cans at Darlington would make it almost worth going back there. :D

extramundane
01-23-06, 01:11 PM
Please, oh please put a Japanese driver in the car........the incredible hail of chicken bones and cans at Darlington would make it almost worth going back there. :D

That poor Japanese dude who drove at Martinsville several years ago got the crap booed out of him just for being Japanese. I'm sure some of those same enlightened folk will just love seeing Mikey Waltrip in a Japanese car...

TKGAngel
01-23-06, 01:15 PM
Hey now, DW drives a Toyot-er. AFAIK, he hasnt had cans and chicken bones thrown at him...for that anyways.

dando
01-23-06, 01:26 PM
:rofl:

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
01-23-06, 01:58 PM
How long until Chevy announces they are leaving NASCAR?

Methanolandbrats
01-23-06, 02:07 PM
Hey now, DW drives a Toyot-er. AFAIK, he hasnt had cans and chicken bones thrown at him...for that anyways.

DW is a good ol boy, he got a pass. The last time I was at a NASCAR Race a guy near me was wearing a t-shirt that had an outline map of Japan. The text was "Hiroshima, Nagasaki, two was'nt enough". Maybe they can hire Jimmy Spencer to drive it. :D

TKGAngel
01-23-06, 02:10 PM
That poor Japanese dude who drove at Martinsville several years ago got the crap booed out of him just for being Japanese. I'm sure some of those same enlightened folk will just love seeing Mikey Waltrip in a Japanese car...

Speaking of Mikey Waltrip, did anyone else catch the amazing bit of legal finangling that he engaged in this weekend? He and Jasper Racing formed their own team so that Mikey could use the owner points from the 77 car formerly run by Penske. Bill Davis Racing - who Mikey was supposed to drive for in 2006 - will supply chassis, engines and personnel. The awesome part is that NASCAR approved the deal. You just know that if someone like Robby G. tried to pull off something like this, he never would have gotten approval. :shakehead

Skater_36
01-23-06, 02:40 PM
How long until Chevy announces they are leaving NASCAR?

Between Toyota coming in and the generic "car of tomorrow" I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one American manufacturer leave the series next year.

RusH
01-23-06, 03:09 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/Spw69/toyota-camary2007.jpg

looks familiar :gomer:

Spicoli
01-23-06, 03:21 PM
you all sure watch a lot of NascArs.

and oh yeah. told ya so. :p

trauma1
01-23-06, 03:43 PM
poll results at nascab site, not good

What do you think of Toyota's decision to go Nextel Cup racing in 2007?
I like it 3226 26%
I don't like it 5916 48%
Don't care either way 3233 26%
TOTAL 12375 Votes

rosawendel
01-23-06, 07:00 PM
<yawn>
the "toyota camry" they plan on running has about as much to do with a toyota camry as the rest of the cars in the field have to do with their respective nameplates. i'd be surprised if there'll be a single metric part on the thing.... i don't see how it makes a difference.

NismoZ
01-23-06, 07:19 PM
Wow, I sure wish I'd seen THIS one coming! :shakehead

Trevor Longman
01-23-06, 10:30 PM
There is also a rumor that Honda will be in Nextel cup in '08 and Nissan will be in the trucks that same year. And in case you're wondering, I didn't hear that from DW.

Methanolandbrats
01-23-06, 10:40 PM
Multiple Japanese Marques entering Cup may finally be where NASCAR screws itself. Once Ford vs Chevy, the very thing that built NASCAR becomes Honda vs Toyota, they're going to need a whole new fan base. Anyone who does'nt believe that should attend a NASCAR race and look at what's in the parking lot.

dando
01-23-06, 11:37 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/nascar/21686/

Looks like NASCAB laid down the law for Toyo's participation. Let's see how long that lasts. :gomer:

Toyota’s change in operating philosophy followed meetings with NASCAR officials last year, as the automaker pondered moving up to the top series.

NASCAR CEO Brian France and President Mike Helton both hinted that Toyota was told that, at the Cup level, the automaker would have to operate like General Motors, Ford Motor Co. and DaimlerChrysler, not like a monolithic entity as it does in the Truck Series.

But Illingworth said that was never an issue or obstacle. “From a cost standpoint, it’s a significant cost savings for us,” he said of plans to let the Cup teams function independently. “I don’t think there was ever a plan for us to centralize our operations all the way up to Cup. When you look at the competition level and you look at how the major teams do, it would probably be very foolish of us to think that we could do better than they could.”

-Kevin

jcollins28
01-24-06, 12:38 AM

ROFLMAO!!!!

chop456
01-24-06, 02:10 AM
I hope Toyota wins every race and rioting ensues.

Methanolandbrats
01-24-06, 10:43 AM
I hope Toyota wins every race and rioting ensues. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
01-24-06, 03:16 PM
generic "car of tomorrow" Odd how "tomorrow" in NASCAR-speak seems a whole lot like 1970...

oc

Wheel-Nut
01-24-06, 03:40 PM
Odd how "tomorrow" in NASCAR-speak seems a whole lot like 1970...

oc

2007 NASCAR is no comparison to 1970. 1970 was much more interesting.
http://www.bobbyallison.com/photos/bobby/70s/bcar-030.jpg

oddlycalm
01-24-06, 04:47 PM
2007 NASCAR is no comparison to 1970. 1970 was much more interesting. Agreed, NASCAR was more interesting in every way in 1970. I was just referring to the tube frame chassis and 60's tech engine and tranny.

oc

Wheel-Nut
01-24-06, 04:53 PM
^^^ Yep, the technology is in a downward spiral.

Rocketdoc
01-24-06, 05:24 PM

That means sodomy in Limeyland....

Rocketdoc
01-24-06, 05:31 PM
I hope Toyota wins every race and rioting ensues.

Yeah, and a mob of WW II veterens carrying torches up to the NASACAR offices, and then burn the FN thing down. Of course, with no loss of life; let's keep this civil.

dino
01-24-06, 06:03 PM
Yeah, and a mob of WW II veterens carrying torches up to the NASACAR offices, and then burn the FN thing down. Of course, with no loss of life; let's keep this civil.

Has anyone thought of NASCAR thinking of the bigger picture? Ford and GM might not even be AROUND in ten years? Look at the recent losses and job cuts...

The Japenese auto makers will own the US market in a decade or two.

Rocketdoc
01-24-06, 08:14 PM
Has anyone thought of NASCAR thinking of the bigger picture? Ford and GM might not even be AROUND in ten years? Look at the recent losses and job cuts...

Not with one of my dollars.

racer2c
01-24-06, 08:32 PM

Um, last time I checked Ford and GM were still the first and second largest sellers in the US and GM is still # 1 in the world. With all of their problems, they will be around in ten years, trust me.

chop456
01-25-06, 02:16 AM
Um, last time I checked Ford and GM were still the first and second largest sellers in the US and GM is still # 1 in the world. With all of their problems, they will be around in ten years, trust me.

Toyota could buy GM 10 times over if they chose to.

cameraman
01-25-06, 03:07 AM
Pretty close.
Toyota's market cap is around 170 billion dollars,

GM is around 13 billion,
Ford is 15.6 billion,
DaimlerChrysler is 56 billion,
Honda is 52 billion,

On the market, GM is the smallest of the bunch.

trauma1
01-25-06, 09:45 AM
the real cost of yota in nascar, costs ar going to skyrocket :shakehead

Some owners not quick to welcome Toyota to NASCAR circuit

By Mike Harris, AP Motorsports Writer
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 2:37 PM PST

CONCORD, N.C. - Not everyone is pleased that Japanese automaker Toyota is preparing to join the ranks of America's most celebrated Good Ol' Boys.

NASCAR and Toyota officials jointly announced Monday that the car company will enter its Camry model in both the Nextel Cup and Busch Series beginning in 2007.

Team owner Jack Roush, who runs cars in each of the three top NASCAR series and whose drivers have won two of the last three Cup titles, offered a warning about Toyota's move up.
“If NASCAR manages to get in front of Toyota and tell them what they want to do and enforce it, they'll be the first sanctioning body that ever did that,” said Roush, whose team runs Fords. “I'll watch with some interest, I'd like to say from a safe distance, but my distance is not far enough to be safe.”

Toyota, which has competed in NASCAR's Craftsman Truck Series the past two seasons, was given NASCAR chairman Brian France's blessing.

France told more than 200 reporters taking part in the first day of the annual preseason media tour, “Toyota has proven in the truck series it can be a great partner. NASCAR offered them the best opportunity to build their presence in racing in North America and we're glad they are here.”

Toyota will become the first foreign competitor in NASCAR's top series since Jaguar ran in several races in the 1950s. The Camry is an eligible model in NASCAR because it is built in Georgetown, Ky., one of eight Toyota plants in the U.S.

Toyota, becoming increasingly successful in the U.S. even as General Motors and Ford struggle, previously has been involved in American sports car racing and open-wheel racing. The company has been known in the past for inflating the cost of racing with its free spending, sometimes dominating the series and having a major effect on the rules before leaving for greener pastures.

Toyota also competes in Formula One and reportedly has a budget of $400 million a year.

“I'm concerned,” said team owner Ray Evernham, whose team will run Dodges in all three of NASCAR's top series in 2006. “But NASCAR has to make sure that they keep a handle on it because, if (Toyota) has got a billion dollars to spend, they're going to wipe us out.

“If you can still win a championship on 20 million and somebody else is spending 50 (million), it doesn't matter. But, if it takes 50 (million) to win a championship, you're done. So, NASCAR, more than ever, has to police things. There's a lot of work to do on the competition side.

“NASCAR has done a great job branding, a great job marketing, helping everyone with business,” Evernham added. “But, right now, it's time to focus on what competition's going to be five years from now.”

In the truck series, Toyota brought in a costly factory team approach, making quick inroads by producing the engines and chassis for all of its teams.

Toyota official Dave Illingworth said that will not be the case in Cup and Busch.

“There will be no Toyota branded teams or cars,” he said. “Teams will bring their own sponsorship and we will provide only technical support, much as the other manufacturers in those series have done in the past.”

France said he believes Toyota, which also will continue to compete in trucks, will approach the Cup and Busch in the proper way.

“They recognize that (centralizing their teams) wasn't how NASCAR (works) and wasn't going to be in their best interest in the future,” France said.

Roush hopes that is the way it really works out once Toyota becomes established in Cup and Busch.

“But they operated their truck teams as one program and made the team owners just name owners only in order to justify what they were doing,” he said. “But they have the same cars and the same engines and the same technology and wound up ruling that thing with pretty much of an iron hand.

“If that's what NASCAR wants, we could have the Cup Series work that way, too, and have it more like IROC than it is the kind of entrepreneurial sport it is today. But I don't think that's where it will go. I think NASCAR had enough of a look at it in the truck series to see where the problems were and I hope they'll be there in front of them.”

No teams or drivers were named Monday by Toyota, but the company is expected to announce today at least part of its lineup. Bill Davis Racing and a new team co-owned by Michael Waltrip and Doug Bawel, president of Jasper Engines, are expected to be among those named.

But Greg Biffle, who drives for Roush and finished second to 2005 Cup champion Tony Stewart, doesn't care who Toyota aligns with.

“It doesn't bother me any,” he said. “It's free enterprise. C'mon, bring your best stuff.”

Andrew Longman
01-25-06, 10:47 AM
Toyota could buy GM 10 times over if they chose to.

And they don't because they don't want their massive healthcare and pension liabilities along with their UAW woes and muddled product lines. GM offers nothing that Toyota couldn't produce themselves more easily.

racer2c
01-25-06, 11:11 AM
Pretty close.
Toyota's market cap is around 170 billion dollars,

GM is around 13 billion,
Ford is 15.6 billion,
DaimlerChrysler is 56 billion,
Honda is 52 billion,

On the market, GM is the smallest of the bunch.

Where ja git dim #'s?

When GM claims #1 world status it's their global sales not market value.

I hate GM, so I'm not trying to defend them, but I stand by my prediction that they will be around in ten years in reference to the original poster.

Spicoli
01-25-06, 12:38 PM
Yoda is going to radically change things in NASTARD. Wait til they start buying drivers and sponsoring races. Just look what they did in CART, EARL, etc....ruined I tell ya!

I'm not so sure that the real prollem is the "Japs have entered our playground" issue, but rather "The Japanese philosophy of competition has entered our playground." these guys are A) smarter than your average goober, and B) play the game with no holds barred. These guys push the limits of "cheat".

The Jethros are NOT gonna be happy. Well, unless they sponsor Little E and makey sure he can win stuff - then its allllll gooood. :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
01-25-06, 12:41 PM
Hordes of Japanese engineers in starched white shirts scrurrying around the NASCAR garages is going to be quite a wakeup call to the good ol boys.

Spicoli
01-25-06, 12:45 PM
Hordes of Japanese engineers in starched white shirts scrurrying around the NASCAR garages is going to be quite a wakeup call to the good ol boys.

Exactly my point.

racer2c
01-25-06, 12:47 PM
I try extremely hard not to follow any aspect of NASCAR. Did Toyota ever when a truck title?

cameraman
01-25-06, 12:52 PM
Where ja git dim #'s?

New York Stock Exchange

That's value of the company not car sales. Personally I'd rather be the #1 market cap myself :D

chop456
01-25-06, 01:00 PM
New York Stock Exchange

That's value of the company not car sales. Personally I'd rather be the #1 market cap myself :D

GM's sales figures remind me of the guy selling hot dogs from a cart, 3 for $.25 A customer asks him how he can possibly turn a profit selling them for so little and the hot dog guy says "I make it up in volume!" :gomer:

Andrew Longman
01-25-06, 01:03 PM
New York Stock Exchange

Exactly. GM loses money on most cars they sell. GMAC is the only division to consistently make money. Indeed their business model amounts to giving away cars in order to sell loans.

Yes they will be around in ten years, but in part because they are not attractive enough for anyone to buy. It is entirely likely that they (and Ford) will need bankrupcy to free them of enormous liabilities. They will likely strip the majority of their nameplates and operate as much smaller leaner organizations.

Its also possible that that they will enter entirely new businesses unrelated to auto. Say for example they gain capability with fuel cell technology. That could translate to a whole new business of home heating and power generation.

Anything is possible. Did you know that Nokia used to be a paper company?

racer2c
01-25-06, 01:16 PM
I'll take two Corvettes, an Escalade with 20's and a duelie. :)

TKGAngel
01-25-06, 01:18 PM
I try extremely hard not to follow any aspect of NASCAR. Did Toyota ever when a truck title?

I checked the nascar.com site (which is about as useful as udders on a bull), and from what I can tell, they have not won a championship. Races, yes.

I agree with what Spicoli said upthread about Toyota coming in and changing the playing field. Guys like Rousch and Penske (who have literally redefined the word cheat in NASCAR) are going to be forced to deal with a whole different animal. However, it would not suprise me if Penske did field Toyotas, since he has that relationship with them from the IRL days.

I think if Toyota ever sponsored Lil E, that would be the sign of the apocalypse. Aint no way the goobers are ever gonna believe that St. Junyer would ever drive one a them foreign jobs, especially with a good, wholesome US of A sponsor like Budweiser.

racer2c
01-25-06, 02:18 PM
Toyota is trying very hard to get i=on the good side of the good ol' boy NASCAR fan. I see that they are powering midget/sprint cars now.

hell, I'm willing to bet that 75% of all the vehicles in the parking lot of Southern cup race is foriegn.

If my little southern 'burg is any kind of indicator, I see hundreds and hundreds of 8, 12, and 3's window decals on foreign vehicles.

Spicoli
01-25-06, 02:39 PM
I checked the nascar.com site (which is about as useful as udders on a bull), and from what I can tell, they have not won a championship. Races, yes.

I agree with what Spicoli said upthread about Toyota coming in and changing the playing field. Guys like Rousch and Penske (who have literally redefined the word cheat in NASCAR) are going to be forced to deal with a whole different animal. However, it would not suprise me if Penske did field Toyotas, since he has that relationship with them from the IRL days.

I think if Toyota ever sponsored Lil E, that would be the sign of the apocalypse. Aint no way the goobers are ever gonna believe that St. Junyer would ever drive one a them foreign jobs, especially with a good, wholesome US of A sponsor like Budweiser.

Spickly knows stuff. Sometimes he's even right.

Seriously, i'll bet Cheep & Cappy Liverspots are first on the Yen teet. And they will be rewarded justly.

As far as St. Junyer (that's fookin awesome :D ) He better get with the program RIGHT NOW, or his career is Grand Shamable.

uh-huh, uh - huh. :cry:

Wheel-Nut
01-25-06, 03:12 PM
I've seen this scenario somewhere before . . . oh yes!

http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1020/47759.1020.A.jpg

Plot Outline: When a Japanese car company buys an American plant, the American liason must mediate the clash of work attitudes between the foreign management and native labor.

Rocketdoc
01-25-06, 06:42 PM
Where ja git dim #'s?

When GM claims #1 world status it's their global sales not market value.

I hate GM, so I'm not trying to defend them, but I stand by my prediction that they will be around in ten years in reference to the original poster.

I believe that Toyota is also the largest worldwide now.

Rocketdoc
01-25-06, 06:47 PM

" it would not suprise me if Penske did field Toyotas, since he has that relationship with them from the IRL days. "

That relationship goes way earlier than anything in the HURL, Penske peddles more Yoda's in the US then any other dealership (Longo).