PDA

View Full Version : RM rips on USAC

cameraman
01-23-06, 02:50 AM
Ten of those ugly ass Silver Crown sleds started at the Copper Classic.
And around 3000 people bothered to show up to watch.
And there is now a cheating scandal starting up.

:shakehead

The irony of Sunday's inaugural Silver Crown race with these fat, slow, ugly toilets is that USAC managed to piss off three of the four car builders who did embrace the new cars. Joe Devin, Bob Riley and Stealth Racing charged that C&R Racing (which won the pole and feature with Dave Steele) had cheated the rulebook and USAC looked the other way because it needed C&R's four cars so there would be double digit starters.

The Copper World Classic: 1977-2006, RIP (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/21664/)

Elmo T
01-23-06, 08:59 AM
The IRL's magic touch:

Then, when the Indy Racing League discovered it couldn't draw 10,000 at PIR, it leeched onto the Copper World and sucked the life out of it. Instead of being a stand alone showcase for the short track guys, the Copper World became an afterthought of the IRL weekend. They'd make sure to run the midget main while the sun was going down on Saturday night in front of at least 500 people.

oddlycalm
01-23-06, 05:13 PM
Naturally, as it has since its inception, USAC didn't bother getting its members' approval, it simply pulled the trigger and blew up its strongest division. Some things never change. There was a reason CART was formed, and the reason is still valid today as it pertained to USAC. :shakehead I hope the folks that own the legacy cars do form their own organization to run them.

oc

NismoZ
01-23-06, 07:23 PM
There is a Daytona design to all this. (and FTG precipitated it a long time ago.)

extramundane
01-23-06, 10:40 PM
Some things never change. There was a reason CART was formed, and the reason is still valid today as it pertained to USAC. :shakehead I hope the folks that own the legacy cars do form their own organization to run them.

USAC couldn't even live up to the IRL's expectations. No more need be said.

Methanolandbrats
01-23-06, 11:09 PM
This is more evidence we are finally emerging from the last decade of pain.....all the floaters are sinking.

tantra
01-23-06, 11:37 PM
I'm just happy to still have old RM to call an ugly race car a 'turd.'
Any other journalists write with such finesse and grace these days?

dando
01-23-06, 11:53 PM
I'm just happy to still have old RM to call an ugly race car a 'turd.'
Any other journalists write with such finesse and grace these days?
:thumbup: RM

Tact is a four-letter word in RM's book. :)

-Kevin