PDA

View Full Version : Wear Your Safety Glasses!

racer2c
01-22-06, 11:06 PM
Man O' Man!!!

I kicked off the second game tonight by cracking a beer, cranking up the TV and crawling under the kitchen sink to replace our faucet.
*side bar tangent* The price of kitchen sink faucets never fail to astound me! hey, I'm all about trendy faucets *gomer*, but $800 for a freakin' valve and tube! So my wife grabs a $300 one and thinks that is quite a bargain compared to the $500, $600 and $700 ones. I pick up a $72 one and she gives me that 'look'. You know that look of "we're getting this one".*end tangent*

So I'm under the sink and not two mintues into my disassembly of the old unit, somthing drops right into my eye. Now, I'm quite the project guy and it's often that i get objects in my eye. I usually can just blink a few times and it's gone. I'm usually pretty good about wearing glasses too especially when drilling, sawing, chisling, things of that sort. But I do get complacent at times, especially for small jobs like replacing a faucet.

So my eye feels like someone is stabbing it and I go into the bathroom and commence flushing of said eye. And I flush, and flush and try not to rub and blink and blink and flush and try not to rub. It's up in the top under the eye lid and it's not coming down. Three hours later, my eyes are burning and still in pain, my wife says "enuff 'z nuff', I'm taking you to the emergency room." i say no way. I'm not sitting there for four hours. It will work it's way out any second. I get online and find a medical website that gave the tip of twisting up a piece of tissue paper, get it wet and stick it up under the lid to see if it can't clear the debris. It worked! I went from miserable to normal in under one second. It's amazing how bad something in your eye hurts.

No job is too small, wear your glasses on those home projects people! Your vision is too important.

devilmaster
01-22-06, 11:16 PM
Did I ever tell you guys about the time I had to go to MIS medical to get one of those rubber marbles out of my eye? Couldn't flush it out.

Doc numbed the eye, then lifted the marble out, it was stuck to the inside of my eyelid.

I was wearing sunglasses when it happened too. Just flew in at the perfect angle i guess.....

Oh, I probably didn't tell you guys about it cause it was a nascar race, and i was sitting in the 2nd row..... ;)

racer2c
01-22-06, 11:22 PM
Did I ever tell you guys about the time I had to go to MIS medical to get one of those rubber marbles out of my eye? Couldn't flush it out.

Doc numbed the eye, then lifted the marble out, it was stuck to the inside of my eyelid.

I was wearing sunglasses when it happened too. Just flew in at the perfect angle i guess.....

Oh, I probably didn't tell you guys about it cause it was a nascar race, and i was sitting in the 2nd row..... ;)

No, you omitted that little nugget. Hurts don't it?!!

When I'm in Florida, sometimes I'll take by motorcycle out for a sans helmet ride to the beach. I'll wear sunglasses and little bugs and debris seem to get in my eyes more with the glasses on than off. it's like the glasses accelerates them around and into the eyes.