PDA

View Full Version : Forsythe Says 24

NismoZ
01-22-06, 12:44 PM
Not this season, but in '07. The plan just keeps unfolding...and looking good.

trish
01-22-06, 12:50 PM
That's six extra cars. It will be interesting to find out who accounts for them. Current teams adding cars or three additional teams? One will surely be the winner of the Atlantic championship.

KLang
01-22-06, 01:09 PM
He is talking new teams.

"The next step is to get Champ Car to the same level," Forsythe observed. "But you've got to walk before you can run. It just doesn't make economic sense for new teams to come in for this year. But with the new car for 2007 I'm sure you'll see more cars and teams coming in.

"This year will be another building year for Champ Car, but '07 will be the year where Champ Car will step out. We've had a lot of people expressing interest but without the availability of cars for this year, it makes it difficult. But people are planning now for 2007. There's light at the end of the tunnel. I believe there will be twenty-four plus Champ cars next year. I think the interest we have now in the Atlantic series will carry over to Champ Car in 2007."

Link (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9919)

Spicoli
01-22-06, 02:17 PM
Nice. I suppose that will be the last 6 cars left in EARL.

Rogue Leader
01-22-06, 02:29 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if there were more than 24. Based on the current 18, and the definite interest now... They have 1 more year to build this upward momentum, so more than 24 cars is not impossible....

Stu
01-22-06, 02:40 PM
I'd like to see them get to the point where NASCAR is at. Have a set limit of cars for each race (30, 33, ??) and have more teams than spots available. Youd have a full field each week and even have some teams going home unhappy before the weekend starts. It should help the level of competition.

nrc
01-22-06, 02:50 PM
They won't get to the point where NASCAR is at unless there's a serious change in the economics of the sport. Maybe the new engine/chasis formula will cause a shift in the same way that the new Atlantics formula has.

Forsythe should be careful about setting too high an expectation for 2007. If you say 24, suddenly 22 becomes a disappointment. I'm more concerned about putting real, sustainable sponsors on the current cars than expanding the field.

SteveH
01-22-06, 03:14 PM
I'd like to see them get to the point where NASCAR is at. Have a set limit of cars for each race (30, 33, ??) and have more teams than spots available. Youd have a full field each week and even have some teams going home unhappy before the weekend starts. It should help the level of competition.

NASCAR has 43 starters at each race. That's far too many for an openwheel race, IMO. I understand what you're saying, though. However I question how healthy it is to have sponsors not be on the track on a race day. Regardless of how strong the series is, the ROI for those sponsors is zero.

NismoZ
01-22-06, 03:18 PM
Absolutely...I won't say he's a loose cannon or anything, but Gerry has said any number of things in the past, such as impending announcements of new venues or sponsors, that have yet to BE announced. I'm sure he is just being enthusiastic and I find that hard to fault. He is correct in pointing out the forward momentum however and combined with those Mario quotes in Autosprint I believe any combination of new teams, expanded teams and returning (?) teams could yield those 6 cars rather easily. As noted, the sponsorhip element is THE most important aspect of all this and the ONLY thing about NASCAB that should be emulated.

tantra
01-23-06, 11:50 AM
I can't wait!

Team Spicoli Racing

This is getting more exciting all the time! :D

RusH
01-23-06, 12:40 PM
I can't wait!

Team Spicoli Racing

:saywhat:

Will they run the pure grain alcohol experiment? :gomer:

Insomniac
01-23-06, 01:52 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if there were more than 24. Based on the current 18, and the definite interest now... They have 1 more year to build this upward momentum, so more than 24 cars is not impossible....

With N/H presumably adding a car, who is dropping one to keep it at 18?

Andrew Longman
01-23-06, 02:15 PM
Nice. I suppose that will be the last 6 cars left in EARL.

That's what I was thinkinthe first thing I thought of

Spicoli
01-23-06, 03:28 PM
I can't wait!

Team Spicoli Racing

:rofl:

I will go head to head with the evil "Crapus Cheater Team." :p

oddlycalm
01-23-06, 04:43 PM
Forsythe should be careful about setting too high an expectation for 2007. If you say 24, suddenly 22 becomes a disappointment. I'm more concerned about putting real, sustainable sponsors on the current cars than expanding the field. Agree re the sponsors. Also on setting expectations too high, especially when 2006 is still going to be another rebuilding year and may look pretty rough at times. Maintaining credibility is a big deal and it's always better to offer guidance that's a bit conservative and have everyone pleasantly surprised on the upside than to fall short.

oc

Andrew Longman
01-25-06, 10:39 AM
Agree re the sponsors. Also on setting expectations too high, especially when 2006 is still going to be another rebuilding year and may look pretty rough at times. Maintaining credibility is a big deal and it's always better to offer guidance that's a bit conservative and have everyone pleasantly surprised on the upside than to fall short.

oc

Hopefully he IS being conservative ;)