PDA

View Full Version : Tracy Futility Watch

NismoZ
01-22-06, 09:38 AM
Larry Foyt Clocks Tracy, By 9 Positions...in Friday Busch testing at Daytona. He REALLY wants to do this? Good luck, but I'm already getting arguments about "who the better drivers are."

trish
01-22-06, 11:26 AM
Paul is just a rookie.

racer2c
01-22-06, 11:26 AM
I've always liked PT's kutzpa, but no one ever accused him have having any brains. He's going to learn the hard way.

Ziggy
01-22-06, 12:26 PM
I think his resume leaves him beyond reproach in this area.

He will be up to Mr. Foit's talent level about the same time the temperature gets up in the tires.

and I would bet on that. :eek:

Hameroids
01-22-06, 12:46 PM
C'mon now - Everybody knows Larry Foyt is a much better driver than Paul Tracy. :shakehead

FailureByDesign
01-22-06, 01:24 PM
FWIW Him driving for the same team as Kim Crosby used to? has already put him at a disadvantage. :shakehead

Spicoli
01-22-06, 02:13 PM
I'm a LarryHead (http://www.larryfoytfanclub.com/) :gomer:

Spicoli
01-22-06, 02:14 PM
And here lies the home of the LarryFoyt IRL Experience! (http://www.mikeypower.com/larryfoyt/)

Ziggy
01-22-06, 02:20 PM
Im pretty sure he's just goofing around. You can do that when your a big time racecar driver. It beats renting a video game.......

I dont know what happened with the Childress operation. I dont follow it much. It goes without saying that he would be better off running one of their cars and the last I heard about it (which was last year at Long Beach) he had done a deal to run this guys cars a couple of times. Maybe RCR is running their cars on a pay as you go basis, or their serious about getting a young talent and developing it. I cant say, as I have no interest in this area of the sport. I keep up on it to keep those who do claim to have knowledge in check. I would'nt know Jimmy Makar from Fatback McSwain if they both worked at Jiffy Lube.

I do, however. think that comparing Tracy to any other Foyt besides AJ constitutes some form of response. (and Im hardly a Tracy fan). The futility thread was started with good reason by a long time poster. It has morphed into the lexicon that now is old hat on this board.

NismoZ
01-22-06, 03:36 PM
That's kind of why I did it. If you can dish it out you'd better be able to take it. Another observation that nobody seems to want to consider: has it occurred to anyone but me that RCR tested and has CHOSEN not to retain PT? Think of all those guys from Europe that only want to do CC if they land with a top team. There just isn't that much room. The same may be true in this case. If nobody has noticed there is certainly a "youth movement" in NASCAB too and I don't think that includes our Paul. My view is PT doesn't think he can be a consistent winner in Busch and Cup in the few years remaining, but he can prolong a career and MAKE MORE MONEY. Then his move makes sense, even if we have criticized others in the past for doing the same thing.

Ziggy
01-22-06, 04:04 PM
Well, there ya' go Karnack. It's not like Larry FOits phone was ringing off the hook. Paul is trying to prolong a career. Paul is a little old by NASCAR standards.

no news there....

Im not even worried about why he didn't get the RCR drive, other than he came with a high price tag. That would about quell any desire from a top team who can get a young kid to drive for three years for peanuts.

Im not dishing anything out, just keeping in check the statistical reference and career achievements which would be used to back up a "futility thread".

Paul Tracy is trying out a stock car, and his test speeds didn't hold up that well

BFD

NismoZ
01-22-06, 05:40 PM
Yep.

TedN
01-22-06, 06:29 PM
Larry Foyt Clocks Tracy, By 9 Positions...in Friday Busch testing at Daytona. He REALLY wants to do this? Good luck, but I'm already getting arguments about "who the better drivers are."

PT quote from Autosport article ....

Despite this foray into NASCAR, Tracy says he still hasn't decided whether he will switch to stock car racing permanently from next season.

"I don't know where my future is going to go, but I have the opportunity to be allowed to do all kinds of different things," he added.

"It is just a great point in my career right now. To drive three disciplines of races cars - a Champ Car, a Busch car and a Grand AM car in one season is something not a lot of people have done.

Ted

theunions
01-22-06, 06:33 PM
Meanwhile, also on Autosport (for which I don't have a paid subscription) - what's this about SeaBass also threatening to do selected BGN races this season?

NismoZ
01-22-06, 07:10 PM
I think the same 5 as Tracy. He needs the "incentive." And a target.

theunions
01-22-06, 08:03 PM
I think the same 5 as Tracy. He needs the "incentive." And a target.

Figures as much. :D

In the "Preseason Thunder" studio show on SPEED airing right now, John Roberts just called PT a "former open wheel star." :shakehead

Ziggy
01-22-06, 09:26 PM
and John Roberts would be a current ass puppet

cameraman
01-22-06, 11:25 PM
So who is John Roberts (beyond his evident status as "current ass puppet")?

theunions
01-23-06, 02:13 AM
One of SPEED's growing ranks of NASCAR-centric studio talking heads...he's done the pre-race and/or post-race show for the past few seasons.

TedN
01-23-06, 08:42 AM
Meanwhile, also on Autosport (for which I don't have a paid subscription) - what's this about SeaBass also threatening to do selected BGN races this season?

from Autosport (not entire article) ...

The Frenchman has revealed he is considering some Busch series events after a successful foray into oval stock car racing last season.

"Yes, I'd like to take part in some of the series' races this year, starting with the Busch Series," Bourdais told Autosprint.

"Having raced in the IROC last year, it's something I'm considering, but it is part of a much larger issue about what's better for my future.

"NASCAR is something completely different from other series; it is a world apart. You don't race in NASCAR - you live NASCAR."

Ted

Insomniac
01-23-06, 02:09 PM
That's a good idea. Race against PT in a car with fenders. ;)

cameraman
01-23-06, 03:12 PM
The press release from the CCWS site:

I Can't think of a better a spokesman for a hair style products company :rolleyes:

http://pix.crash.net/thumbs/187751.jpg

Daytona Beach, Fla. (January 20, 2006) - After over a year of speculation as to whether or not Paul Tracy would make his way into NASCAR, it is official. He has inked a 5-race deal that will see him behind the wheel of a stock car in the NASCAR Busch Series. Frank Cicci Racing with Jim Kelly will be fielding the #34 Chevrolet Monte Carlo for Tracy's 5-race NASCAR debut.

Tracy will make his debut at Daytona and then follow up with appearances in Mexico City on March 5th, Las Vegas on March 11th, Indianapolis on August 5th, and Fontana on September 2nd. Sport Clips (All*Star Haircuts for Men & Boys) will be the primary sponsor at Daytona International Speedway, Indianapolis Raceway Park, and California Speedway, with American Crew (Quality Grooming Products for Men) taking over as a co-primary sponsor with Sport Clips at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. American Crew will appear as an associate sponsor on all of Tracy's races. Frank Cicci's #34 car does not have a sponsor for Mexico City, but with former Mexico City Champ Car winner Paul Tracy in the car, it should make the sponsorship search considerably easier.

"I'm very excited about my first opportunity to race in NASCAR, especially in the biggest race of the year at Daytona. Then moving on to race at Las Vegas, which is my former home, and then on to Mexico City, where I am a former winner in the Champ Car Series," Tracy said. "I am thankful to Sport Clips and American Crew for believing in me and making this work. I also want to thank Frank Cicci and Jim Kelly for putting me in quality equipment and supporting me. I would especially like to thank Doug Barnette for finding the sponsors and bringing the parties together and making this happen."

Sport Clips CEO and Founder, Gordon Logan, was equally excited about the relationship: "We are extremely pleased and excited about partnering with Paul Tracy for his NASCAR debut in the Busch Series. Paul brings an excitement and passion to the sport that will greatly expand the fan base for the Busch Series, resulting in an increased awareness of Sport Clips in all of our markets. Our sponsorship with Paul gives us great geographical coverage with races in Daytona, Las Vegas, Indianapolis and Southern California. Sport Clips is now in 28 states, with an almost-perfect overlay with the NASCAR Busch Series races." He continued, "We are particularly pleased that American Crew is coming on board with us on Paul's car. We have a great relationship with American Crew, a leading edge product line specifically formulated for men and boys - our clients!"

American Crew Vice-President of Sales, John Mulgrew, stated, "American Crew is extremely excited to have the opportunity to work with an American institution like NASCAR, combined with the ability to have a respected and recognized driver like Paul Tracy at the helm of our car. This takes the recognition of our brand and the recognition that Paul creates for us to an exciting new level."

Sport Clips, Inc. is a Georgetown, TX-based enterprise that currently has 315 stores in 28 states. Targeting men and boys, Sport Clips provides high-quality haircuts in a fun sports environment, complete with TVs at every Stylist's station tuned to sports. Every Sport Clips has "guy smart" Stylists who focus on providing the highest level of service to every client. Sport Clips is the Official Haircutter of the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), whose logo will be prominently featured on Tracy's car. For a location near you or for franchise information, please visit: www.SportClips.com.

American Crew continues to lead the way in the men's grooming business. With a passionate commitment to men's grooming, their purpose is to bring men into salons, provide them with a great new experience and show them new ways of incorporating style into their everyday lives. American Crew recognizes the growing number of men that are concerned with their appearance and who want to look their very best. This trend of image-conscious men spans all ages and backgrounds. American Crew has all of their grooming interests in mind. For more information on American Crew, please visit www.AmericanCrew.com

G.
01-23-06, 03:26 PM
to race at Las Vegas, which is my former home, when did he move? To where?

Spicoli
01-23-06, 03:30 PM
when did he move? To where?

He moved to,,,,Florida,,,,to be where the "Action",,,is.

KLang
01-23-06, 03:36 PM
when did he move? To where?

Florida, Ft. Lauderdale area I think. It was talked about in one episode of Race Car Driver. IIRC his wife has family in Florida?

Spicoli
01-23-06, 03:38 PM
Florida, Ft. Lauderdale area I think. It was talked about in one episode of Race Car Driver. IIRC his wife has family in Florida?

Which wife. :)

Isn't this #3 or 4?

tllips
01-23-06, 04:03 PM

I thought it was so that he could live closer to his pal SeaBass. :D

TKGAngel
01-23-06, 05:54 PM
The press release from the CCWS site:

I Can't think of a better a spokesman for a hair style products company :rolleyes:

http://pix.crash.net/thumbs/187751.jpg

But at least the CCWS site has a pic of PT with his current CC team. I was poking around on the Frank Cicci Racing site yesterday and the pics they had up of PT were from his TKG days, which were what, 3 years ago?

trish
01-23-06, 06:48 PM
Jeff Gordon and his former wife used to call Florida their home. Worked out great for Brooke.

NismoZ
01-23-06, 07:14 PM
Parked motor home in Paper's side yard. :gomer:

Easy
01-24-06, 10:58 AM
Florida is the home of NASCAR.