PDA

View Full Version : Honda drops the price on engines

cameraman
01-21-06, 07:44 PM
They have no choice. They have to get 33 cars somehow.

Indy Racing League president Brian Barnhart said Honda Performance Development has agreed to provide V8 powerplants at a rate that increases the likelihood of a full field.

One-month leases will cost $250,000, half of what teams paid last year. If a team wants to start practicing after the first weekend of qualifying, the rate will be $115,000, down from above $200,000 last year.

As for Indy, Barnhart said he counts more than 40 people who own IRL cars, a function of the league using the same chassis for the fourth consecutive year.

"Certainly the engines are getting cheaper and more equitable, but it's still a struggle to find sponsorship," said Greg Beck, who has fielded Indy-only teams the past three years. "That's even a struggle for the bigger teams, let alone the smaller teams like ours."

Lizzerd
01-21-06, 09:39 PM
Indy Racing League president Brian Barnhart said Honda Performance Development has agreed to provide V8 powerplants at a rate that increases the likelihood of a full field.

Translation:

Indy Racing League president Brian Brainfart said that Lord Tony has agreed to subsidize any wanker one-off for the month of May to help provide V8 powerplants at a rate that ensures that 33 remain just a number.

devilmaster
01-21-06, 09:44 PM
Hmmm, I wonder how desperate he is? Would you guys hate me if I started an indy only team with the only idea of making money by Tony giving me a handout? ;)

G.
01-21-06, 09:46 PM
Hmmm, I wonder how desperate he is? Would you guys hate me if I started an indy only team with the only idea of making money by Tony giving me a handout? ;)Yes.

devilmaster
01-22-06, 01:39 AM
Yes.

ok, what if I can turn the profit into a startup CC team for 07? ;)

rabbit
01-22-06, 02:12 AM
ok, what if I can turn the profit into a startup CC team for 07? ;)
Only if Tony George drives.

Since we haven't had a helicopter crash yet, we should start hoping for a Plan B. ;)

Winston Wolfe
01-22-06, 03:29 AM
Translation:

Indy Racing League president Brian Brainfart said that Lord Tony has agreed to subsidize any wanker one-off for the month of May to help provide V8 powerplants at a rate that ensures that 33 remain just a number.

I'm with Lizzerd on this one.... :thumbup:
the HURL is an absolute disaster.
Rome IS burning,
Thanks, Spicoli.

Winston Wolfe
01-22-06, 03:31 AM
Only if Tony George drives.

Since we haven't had a helicopter crash yet, we should start hoping for a Plan B. ;)

I would love to see TG and Bernie survey the changes to the F1 course, flying in the same chopper that experiences "mechanical" failure.

Open wheel racing fans in NA and the rest of the civilized world could rejoice in unison after a brief moment of silence.

KLang
01-22-06, 10:25 AM
By April they will be giving them away in hopes of filling the field. :shakehead

Lizzerd
01-22-06, 04:15 PM
By April they will be giving them away in hopes of filling the field. :shakehead

Translation 2: By April FTG will be paying the entire engine lease for every team in hopes of filling the field.

devilmaster
01-22-06, 05:18 PM
So what do you guys think? ;)

FHO racing (free handout or hondaout)
OTC racing (on the cheap)
STM racing (stealing Tony's Money)
GGG or Gx3 racing (gimme gimme gimme)
SIM racing (stealing Indy's Money)
FTG racing (kinda self-explanatory)

I will need a crew. Experience not necessary. I figure if we qualify (for money, cause there won't be race quals) we'll just stop before the first pits. So any and all Indy people who have a day to waste, and want some of Tony's money (hell, all the indyites probably gave tony some money that they want back) PM me here and we'll discuss storming the castle.

My preferences for certain crew spots:

Ziggy: crew and car chief
Spicoli: Public Relations
PCHall: Chef
Warlock!: Official Groupie Getter
BIF: head of the team's fan club - plus we need the gremlin as a tow cart
Lizzerd: Official booze go-getter
Mapguy: Official pants no-wearer
Rocket: With his size - Official Whatever the hell he wants to do guy.

(i tells ya, this is starting to look like a winning team :laugh: )

eiregosod
01-22-06, 05:35 PM
KK is undercutting Honda 7 the IRL.

the tables have turned.

Spicoli
01-22-06, 05:36 PM
Count me in. I'll be the guy that punches Scooty Goodyear.

Lizzerd
01-22-06, 07:05 PM

FHO racing (free handout or hondaout)
OTC racing (on the cheap)
STM racing (stealing Tony's Money)
GGG or Gx3 racing (gimme gimme gimme)
SIM racing (stealing Indy's Money)
FTG racing (kinda self-explanatory)

I will need a crew. Experience not necessary. I figure if we qualify (for money, cause there won't be race quals) we'll just stop before the first pits. So any and all Indy people who have a day to waste, and want some of Tony's money (hell, all the indyites probably gave tony some money that they want back) PM me here and we'll discuss storming the castle.

My preferences for certain crew spots:

Ziggy: crew and car chief
Spicoli: Public Relations
Warlock!: Groupie Getter
BIF: head of the team's fan club - plus we need the gremlin as a tow cart

I'll bring the beer.

Lizzerd
01-22-06, 07:31 PM
I just read the entire atricle. (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060121/SPORTS01/601210462/1052)

Somebody please 'splain this to me.

Honda became the sole supplier of IRL engines when Chevrolet and Toyota withdrew at the end of last season. Barnhart said the lack of competition among manufacturers keeps the costs down.

How can this be? No competetion means no more subsidies from FHonda, right? Or, does it? It's going to be cheaper this year for FAGR? Hmmm... last year: four cars, free engines, and a bunch of money for driver salaries. This year, $1.3 Million per car from FAGR. This is cheaper?

I tell ya, these folks have so much spin, I can't believe they haven't passed out from dizziness.

oddlycalm
01-22-06, 07:37 PM
after a brief moment of silence. or flatulence...

oc

mapguy
01-22-06, 09:59 PM
Mapguy: Official pants no-wearer

HEY! I am multi talented I'll have you know. Installing a hot water tank in the buff isn't easy.

mapguy
01-22-06, 10:00 PM
or flatulence...

oc

I'm good at that too. Just as my wife.

nrc
01-22-06, 10:30 PM
I'm good at that too. Just as my wife.

"Just as your wife?" Are you saying that she's good at it too? :confused:

Lizzerd
01-22-06, 10:54 PM
"Just as your wife?" Are you saying that she's good at it too? :confused:

Haven't you ever given your lovely bride the Dutch Oven treatment?

Oops... I didn't notice the "k" was missing.

devilmaster
01-22-06, 11:58 PM
HEY! I am multi talented I'll have you know. Installing a hot water tank in the buff isn't easy.

So you're going to install a hotwater tank onto the car? Ya know those cars are already really slow to begin with, right? ;)

nrc
01-23-06, 02:05 AM
Haven't you ever given your lovely bride the Dutch Oven treatment?

It was the dog, I swear.

cameraman
01-23-06, 07:00 PM

will need a crew. Experience not necessary. I figure if we qualify (for money, cause there won't be race quals) we'll just stop before the first pits. So any and all Indy people who have a day to waste, and want some of Tony's money (hell, all the indyites probably gave tony some money that they want back) PM me here and we'll discuss storming the castle.

You just acquire a chassis?

Thieves steal IndyCar Series show car: A trailer containing an IndyCar Series showcar was stolen from Sinden Racing Services' Indianapolis-based headquarters on Jan. 22.

"It was taken from here at the shop over the weekend," said Scott Jasek, co-owner of Sinden Racing Services. "It's one of our newest trailers with the Racing for Kids showcar inside."

The white trailer was purchased about six months ago and is unmarked, but Jasek is hopeful the car can be recovered soon.

devilmaster
01-23-06, 08:09 PM

It was the dog, I swear.

Spicoli
01-23-06, 08:16 PM

Dood - those aren;t chassis at Sinden, those are EARL *****OXES. :)

dando
01-24-06, 01:02 PM
From out of left field....$10 and my left nut this is being funded by whatever $$$ Toyo paid to get out of their contract w/the EARL. Thoughts?

-Kevin

eiregosod
01-24-06, 03:42 PM
From out of left field....$10 and my left nut this is being funded by whatever $$$ Toyo paid to get out of their contract w/the EARL. Thoughts?

-Kevin

I hope he spends that money wisely.

dont ask be 'cos I am Mindy :gomer:

tantra
01-26-06, 02:51 AM
No one has suggested a driver for this wonderful team. Therefore, I nominate myself. Even though it's been 41 years since I put a sprint car upside down, I think I could drive one of the new sleds around at least until the fuel ran out and we retired to the bar.
Hell, if Mario can survive a bit of a bump going down the back stretch, I'll take my chances .... if the money is right.

An alternative would be to get Robin Miller to drive. He's a bit younger and less experienced than I, but he might work cheaper just to get back to the 'big race' so loves.

tantra the aged

Lizzerd
01-26-06, 04:43 AM

pchall
01-26-06, 11:53 AM

We'll at least eat well if we figure out a way to avoid Tony George's sweetheart deal with Jonathan Byrd's Cafeteria. Sometimes I think the IRL was created just to chase good cuisine out of the garages.

devilmaster
01-26-06, 12:53 PM
No one has suggested a driver for this wonderful team. Therefore, I nominate myself. Even though it's been 41 years since I put a sprint car upside down, I think I could drive one of the new sleds around at least until the fuel ran out and we retired to the bar.
Hell, if Mario can survive a bit of a bump going down the back stretch, I'll take my chances .... if the money is right.

An alternative would be to get Robin Miller to drive. He's a bit younger and less experienced than I, but he might work cheaper just to get back to the 'big race' so loves.

tantra the aged

Tantra my friend, we've met, and i've shook your hand. I couldn't in good conscience put anyone who cares about champcar in one of those cars.

I figured we'll find a driver who'd be willing to drive, and whose willing to offer money up to drive. How are dentist salaries nowadays? ;)

Steve99
01-26-06, 03:09 PM

-Kevin
I don't think Toyo paid anything, they just packed up and left.

dando
01-26-06, 08:01 PM
I don't think Toyo paid anything, they just packed up and left.
By all accounts, they were under contract until '07. There had to be a settlement to get out of it. Even FTG couldn't hire a law team stoopid enough to miss out on that chunk o' change. Could he?

-Kevin

Rocketdoc
01-27-06, 01:33 AM
What was hidden in the fine print is that along with the reduction in price, both on a monthly basis (?) and a full year basis is that the engines will only have seven pistons. Eight holes, but only seven pistons.

Hey, I are Indy....

Andrew Longman
01-27-06, 09:35 AM
By all accounts, they were under contract until '07. There had to be a settlement to get out of it. Even FTG couldn't hire a law team stoopid enough to miss out on that chunk o' change. Could he?

-Kevin

I'm not so sure. I suspect the contract only obligated them to participate in the league and buy advertising time on TV (perhaps elsewhere too). I doubt it obligated them to support teams.

If T says they will not fund teams any longer, and indeed will charge full price for engines, and no team says they can afford that, then Toyota has no customers. There is nothing the IRL can do about that. At best they can hold them to buying TV ad time, which Toyota can just sell to someone else.

Methanolandbrats
01-27-06, 10:16 AM
Yoda's checkbook and legal staff would school FTG. If FTG said "you can't do that, I'll sue", Yoda would laugh.

Steve99
01-27-06, 03:27 PM
I'm not so sure. I suspect the contract only obligated them to participate in the league and buy advertising time on TV (perhaps elsewhere too). I doubt it obligated them to support teams.

If T says they will not fund teams any longer, and indeed will charge full price for engines, and no team says they can afford that, then Toyota has no customers. There is nothing the IRL can do about that. At best they can hold them to buying TV ad time, which Toyota can just sell to someone else.
And also, I doubt there is anything in the contract that says how much R&D money Toyo had to spend to remain competitive. Toyota could just lease them last year's uncompetitive engine. The teams that could afford real engines already switched to Honda, and the others fell by the wayside.

Rocketdoc
01-27-06, 05:40 PM

-Kevin

Very possible, perhaps even probable.

SurfaceUnits
01-29-06, 09:24 AM
I HOle hartedly disuhgree with yoor assumptions. Didn't the leeg announce that it was their idea to go to a single engine supplier. :shakehead Which causes me to wonder, 'How much did the leeg pay yoda to leave?'

Rocketdoc
01-29-06, 07:23 PM
I HOle hartedly disuhgree with yoor assumptions. Didn't the leeg announce that it was their idea to go to a single engine supplier. :shakehead Which causes me to wonder, 'How much did the leeg pay yoda to leave?'

Ass ho,
Yu bring flesh rogic to the argument.

Rocketdoc
01-30-06, 10:03 PM
Hmmm, I wonder how desperate he is? Would you guys hate me if I started an indy only team with the only idea of making money by Tony giving me a handout? ;)

Where do I show up?

Got hemet, Hans device, failing eyesight, overweight, able to turn right too, unbelievable hatred of Tony George, and I make a decent drink.

Spicoli
01-30-06, 10:16 PM
Where do I show up?

Got hemet, Hans device, failing eyesight, overweight, able to turn right too, unbelievable hatred of Tony George, and I make a decent drink.

Team Spicoli has openings. :)

I just need some FTGbucks. ;)

Cam
01-30-06, 11:11 PM
Team Spicoli has openings. :)

I just need some FTGbucks. ;)

Sign me on! What wheel change do ya want me to F up? :gomer: