PDA

View Full Version : USGP Class Action

Spicoli
01-19-06, 10:42 PM
Dragging this up from several months ago, seems like things will be heating up again here in Indy.

My Q is this: Since Michelin basically gave everyone a free ticky, does this mitigate the damages? I think THAT is the arguement. There are 100 other smaller arguements, but what' your take now.

I'd be really interested to know, and I should have some more info on this case tomorrow...which i will, o course, share with the class. :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
01-19-06, 11:23 PM
Dragging this up from several months ago, seems like things will be heating up again here in Indy.

My Q is this: Since Michelin basically gave everyone a free ticky, does this mitigate the damages? I think THAT is the arguement. There are 100 other smaller arguements, but what' your take now.

I'd be really interested to know, and I should have some more info on this case tomorrow...which i will, o course, share with the class. :gomer:My take? All the asshats who feel "damaged" can ****off. Go watch NASCAR if you want a "show".

Hard Driver
01-19-06, 11:34 PM
You know, if I had spent a bunch of money on plane fare and hotels, I would be pissed. But then again, I bought a ticket to Nazareth when CART was there and the race was called for rain. I was also pissed, even more so because they opened the race up for free the next day. But did I sue. :rolleyes:

SO life sucks sometimes. But there was no intent to defraud, so live with it and move on. If you couldn't afford the race, then you should not have gone.

RusH
01-20-06, 12:42 AM
You know, if I had spent a bunch of money on plane fare and hotels, I would be pissed.

...and that`s the point.
In 01, and 02 I spent way more that the ticket price to see the race ....coming from FL.
To watch six cars take the lights would piss me off to say the least. :shakehead

Good thing I`ve skipped on it, so?...WGAF :gomer: :D

cameraman
01-20-06, 01:05 PM
The lawyers get 99 cents you get one cent. The suit is ********.

Life sucks sometimes, deal with it.

Spicoli
01-20-06, 02:29 PM
The lawyers get 99 cents you get one cent. The suit is ********.

Life sucks sometimes, deal with it.

That's pretty much what I feel. The arguement that what if NASTARDS ( :) ) started a "race" and crashed up 3/4 of the field, would anyone even GAF?

That's Racin' :gomer:

Dirty Sanchez
01-20-06, 02:30 PM
sweet thread, gonzo :thumbup:

Stu
01-20-06, 02:41 PM
That's pretty much what I feel. The arguement that what if NASTARDS ( :) ) started a "race" and crashed up 3/4 of the field, would anyone even GAF?

That's Racin' :gomer:

Well first off, at least NASCAR is smart enough to not let something like that happen these days.

Second, I wonder if there is any fine print in the ticket buying agreement. That fine print on the back of the ticket that no one ever reads? Like mentioned earlier, what if the race was rained out and done the next day, but you had to fly back home that night? Oh well, tough luck.

Spicoli
01-20-06, 04:07 PM
Well first off, at least NASCAR is smart enough to not let something like that happen these days.

Second, I wonder if there is any fine print in the ticket buying agreement. That fine print on the back of the ticket that no one ever reads? Like mentioned earlier, what if the race was rained out and done the next day, but you had to fly back home that night? Oh well, tough luck.

You can bet they covered their ass in the ticket contract and disclaimers. But that's never stopped litigation before! :cry:

Still waiting to here what's up.

Stu
01-20-06, 04:52 PM
True. Clear cut facts have never been a deterrent to lawyers before.

The thing is, the people still got to see a race, no matter how lame it was.

RacinM3
01-20-06, 05:39 PM
Can't believe it hasn't been said.

Some might say this was karmic payback for those who gave their money to TG.

Roll around with the pigs; you're gonna get muddy.

Gangrel
01-20-06, 06:18 PM
Anyone can sue anyone for any reason. Disclaimers and waivers do nothing to stop that process. What the waivers and disclaimers do is act as evidence for the defense. However, by the time it gets to that stage of the game, the defense is already spending money on lawyers and court costs, which do not get recouped no matter who wins. Therefore, the defense will typically try to reach a settlement just so they don't "lose" in a favorable judgement in court.

As for class action suits...these are mainly a way for a group of lawyers to make money from a company because a bunch of people are unhappy with something they did. The named plaintiffs in a class action suit very rarely gain much of anything from such a suit. I think the most I have ever gained from a class action suit was a $6 coupon from Jiffy Lube. :gomer: Once the settlement is reached, any court costs are paid out of the proceeds, then the lawyers take anywhere from about 66% - 75% of the net proceeds, and the remaining amount is divided among the plaintiffs on a pro-rata basis. And...ta-da! Here is your check for $0.17 for your trouble because F1 only put 6 cars on the grid. :D

JoeBob
01-20-06, 06:32 PM
But then again, I bought a ticket to Nazareth when CART was there and the race was called for rain. I was also pissed, even more so because they opened the race up for free the next day. But did I sue. :rolleyes:

What about the year I flew in, and it snowed!

Tony George
01-20-06, 06:37 PM
sweet thread, gonzo :thumbup:

DAMN!!! :eek: :rofl: