PDA

View Full Version : Thank God

spinner26
01-15-06, 06:59 PM
I no longer have to hear about how good the Colt's are. San Diego exposed 'em and Pittsburgh had a great game plan. Once again Peyton fails to win the big one.

Maybe next time. :laugh:

TravelGal
01-15-06, 07:35 PM
Geez, you almost made me feel sorry for the ponies.

Almost.

Go Steelers. Definitely much more their game than the final score showed.

Stu
01-15-06, 07:48 PM
Steelers owned the first half, Colts had the 2nd half, I'd say the final scored was pretty darn reflective of the actual game.

spinner26
01-16-06, 05:37 AM
Steelers owned the first half, Colts had the 2nd half, I'd say the final scored was pretty darn reflective of the actual game.

What game are you refering to? I watched the one on Sun.1-16-06 and the Steelers owned the Colt's. Same fashion as the Chargers did.

Manning has never and will never win the big games, it's just not in his cards. I always thought Dan Marino couldn't get out of the pocket, Manning has taken that to a new level, he turtles up worse than any scared hockey player I've ever seen. :saywhat:

Stu
01-16-06, 09:54 AM
What game are you refering to? I watched the one on Sun.1-16-06 and the Steelers owned the Colt's. Same fashion as the Chargers did.

The one in which the Colts beat the Steelers 18-7 from the end of the 2nd half to the end of the game. The one where the Colts would have tied it up had their kicker not made his first mistake in RCA all year.

Spicoli
01-16-06, 10:45 AM
Payton Manning blows another big game.

you're surprised why? :confused:

Time to trade him.

spinner26
01-16-06, 01:01 PM
The one in which the Colts beat the Steelers 18-7 from the end of the 2nd half to the end of the game. The one where the Colts would have tied it up had their kicker not made his first mistake in RCA all year.

Pittsburgh playing a prevent defense and the Colt's running an "oh crap offense" allowed allowed the Colt's to close the gap.

Vandy should have never been in the position to hit a 40 someodd yard field goal. Yes he has done it and will do it again but it should have NEVER gotten to that point.

There was an interception overturned, worse call of the year in my opinion, that would have allowed the Colt's to not get the ball back and there was a freakish fumble by "The Bus" at the goal line, which should have been a touchdown had Ben not tackled an injured Harper.

Then you have what, second and two or three with like 50 something seconds. Get the first down, then go for the endzone or the field goal.

Easy to be an armchair quarterback I suppose but I just saying it should have never gotten to the point where Vandy had to make a loooooooooong FG.

spinner26
01-16-06, 01:04 PM

Time to trade him.

No suprise here. As a fan of SEC football I've seen it for a long time.

Stu
01-16-06, 02:04 PM
no it shouldnt have gotten to that point. indy never should have been able to come back.

but there was something going on yesterday that rarely happens. 2 teams that are arguably the biggest chokers in the NFL playoffs today.

Bill Cowher vs. Peyton Manning. One had to choke, Cowher came close, but Peyton took the honor.

RacinM3
01-16-06, 02:31 PM
Yeah, what was up with that overturned interception? The ref "explained" it and I STILL couldn't figure out the call. That pick was a great effort.

spinner26
01-16-06, 02:49 PM
Yeah, what was up with that overturned interception? The ref "explained" it and I STILL couldn't figure out the call. That pick was a great effort.

According to the explanation, the DB's right knee never got off the ground before the "next football move" took place.

I am no scholar of the rules book but my interpretation is that if a player gains control of the ball w/o it hitting the ground and is not touched while on the ground by the opposing team he may advance the ball.

It looked pretty clear from all the angles on the broadcast that the DB did in fact intercept the pass, rolled over, maintained control UNTIL he went to move forward and hit the ball with his own left knee.

Clearly a poor call in such a game, unless, the rules are that clear, that the player intercepting cannot cause himself to lose the ball. :confused:

Lizzerd
01-16-06, 02:50 PM

The people who say it was a bad call didn't hear the explanation properly. The deal was that he did catch the ball, but when he lost it, his right knee was still on the turf. Therefore, he lost the ball before he regained his feet underneath him. In other words, he was still "on the ground" when he lost it and he didn't make the necessary "football move" required for the interception to be good. Had his right knee been off the turf and he had taken a step with control of the ball, it would have been an interception and fumble.

And I'm not just saying this because I'm a Colts fan. I was just listening to what the ref said. Nobody else seems to have heard it because the announcers started their ranting as soon as the ref said "incomplete".

Also, had he stayed on the ground initially and been touched by a Colt, it would have been a good interception.

RacinM3
01-16-06, 03:25 PM
Lizzerd, I still don't get it. He catches the ball, has CLEAR posession, rolls on the ground, starts to get up, and with one knee on the ground, his other knee knocks the ball loose. Why is that not simply a fumble, which he then recovered himself?

Stu
01-16-06, 03:54 PM
RacinM3 is right.

Especially when you consider that the NFL came out today and said it was a judgement call. Had the ref made the right call, the NFL would have said, he made the right ruling.

While the referee explained it, he explained an incorrect interpretation of the rules.

Lizzerd
01-16-06, 04:02 PM
Lizzerd, I still don't get it. He catches the ball, has CLEAR posession, rolls on the ground, starts to get up, and with one knee on the ground, his other knee knocks the ball loose. Why is that not simply a fumble, which he then recovered himself?

I'm watching 1st and 10 on ESPN right now. I don't know the talking head's name, but he just repeated basically the same thing I said above. I know it doesn't seem to make sense, but his conclusion was that it boiled down to the ref's interpretation of the rule, as it is written and the call could have gone either way and still been technically correct. The talking head then went on to say "...if that's the rule, then it's a bad rule."

Again, I'm not speaking as a Colts fan, I'm just reporting the facts...

JoeBob
01-16-06, 04:07 PM
Kinda like the "tuck rule"?

spinner26
01-16-06, 04:27 PM

Percisely, seeing as how he was never touched by a Colt's player. It should have been ruled an interception, fumble and Pittsburgh ball.

Who cares, Colt's are done.

Buffalo hasn't been around for years ans won't be around for years so I'll just root against the Colt's til Buffalo get's back on the radar. :D

Dirty Sanchez
01-16-06, 08:01 PM
I know it doesn't seem to make sense, but his conclusion was that it boiled down to the ref's interpretation of the rule, as it is written and the call could have gone either way and still been technically correct.not according to the NFL (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AsruC6aIHjLV2nOfSGcdwYtDubYF?slug=ap-steelers-colts-wrongcall&prov=ap&type=lgns)

spinner26
01-17-06, 10:53 AM
not according to the NFL (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AsruC6aIHjLV2nOfSGcdwYtDubYF?slug=ap-steelers-colts-wrongcall&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Suprise, suprise, suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuprise. Common sense prevails albeit a day late and a dollar short.

fourrunner
01-17-06, 08:12 PM

Time to trade him.

That would just Kill Archie Manning .... His son as disposable goods ! :eek:

Spicoli
01-17-06, 08:45 PM
That would just Kill Archie Manning .... His son as disposable goods ! :eek:

Screw him too. I want a QB with some balls, like Jake Plummer.

fourrunner
01-17-06, 09:52 PM
Screw him too. I want a QB with some balls, like Jake Plummer.

Of course your right ... Payton's Brother seems to have the choking disease also .... Off seasons must be painful at the Family getogethers !

nrc
01-17-06, 10:17 PM
Manning was just too worried about making sure that both his knees would still be bending in the same direction at the end of the game.

dando
01-17-06, 10:20 PM
Why is that not simply a fumble, which he then recovered himself?
I think that would depend on when the whistle was blown.

-Kevin

sadams
01-18-06, 12:31 PM
Dispite the officials trying to give it to Indy, the Steelers STILL won.
Forget the interception how about the offside/false start call. :thumdown:

nrc
01-18-06, 12:47 PM
Dispite the officials trying to give it to Indy, the Steelers STILL won.
Forget the interception how about the offside/false start call. :thumdown:

If your position is that the officials were trying to give it to the Steelers, why would you bring up the offside/false start call? There was clearly a false start in the Steelers offensive line which the officials failed to call.

chop456
01-18-06, 01:48 PM
If your position is that the officials were trying to give it to the Steelers, why would you bring up the offside/false start call? There was clearly a false start in the Steelers offensive line which the officials failed to call.

I don't know how "clear" a false start it was, even in slow motion. There should have been a flag one way or the other, but unless the ref was Steve Austin, I don't know how he could have seen it.

And as long as we're on the subject, why is the center allowed to move his non-snapping arm all over the place after the line's set?

nrc
01-18-06, 01:58 PM
I don't know how "clear" a false start it was, even in slow motion. There should have been a flag one way or the other, but unless the ref was Steve Austin, I don't know how he could have seen it.

And as long as we're on the subject, why is the center allowed to move his non-snapping arm all over the place after the line's set?

It looked more clear to me than about half the false starts I've seen called this year.

Linemen in general are allowed to point and signal line calls as long as they don't break their set or simulate a start.

Dirty Sanchez
01-18-06, 02:06 PM
there were also two missed PI calls against Indianapolis in the first half. if the refs called a good game, Pittsburgh would've rolled. wasn't nearly as close as the final score.

sadams
01-19-06, 09:18 AM
My point was that there should have been SOME penalty. Either false start or offside. You can't have linemen moving before the ball without a penalty unless you're trying to favour one team, in this case Indy and Manning. Replay showed a false start by the Steelers but in real time it looked like an Indy offside so the offcials just picked up the flags and declared no penalty, clearly a favour for Indy.

nrc
01-19-06, 10:00 AM
Replay showed a false start by the Steelers but in real time it looked like an Indy offside so the offcials just picked up the flags and declared no penalty, clearly a favour for Indy.

Their mistake was in blowing the play dead when nobody saw anything. Nobody saw the false start, nobody saw a defensive player make contact, and the Steelers never snapped the ball. You can't call a penalty that nobody saw.

Stu
01-19-06, 12:12 PM
My point was that there should have been SOME penalty. Either false start or offside. You can't have linemen moving before the ball without a penalty unless you're trying to favour one team, in this case Indy and Manning. Replay showed a false start by the Steelers but in real time it looked like an Indy offside so the offcials just picked up the flags and declared no penalty, clearly a favour for Indy.

I was under the impression that defense couldnt be offsides unless they cross the line when the ball was snapped. It would have been encroachment, but it didnt appear that any of the Indy D Line touched the Steelers players.