PDA

View Full Version : Post your ideal 4 weekends of May

ChrisB
01-15-06, 01:51 PM
I already posted this on TF, and well, let's just say there's some resistance to change, OK? And as if that wasn't asking for trouble, now I'll try to post the same thing on a CCWS forum where TG is usually persona non grata! So let me put this in a context that the hardercores can relate to... let's suppose TG switched to the DP07 which allowed CCWS teams to do the 500. (Or heck, if ya want, suppose TG friggin' sold the IMS to Don Panoz.. whatever works)

The problem still remains that leaving the schedule open for the whole month of May with nothing but endless practice, practice, practice... well, things could be better. It has been suggested from time to time that perhaps the month of May should be more like Daytona Speedweeks... which would be ironic since I always thought Speedweeks was Daytonas attempt to be more like Indy with lotsa events leading up to their respectives 500's.

IMO, the current month of May pales in comparison to the stuff that Speedweeks does... a 24hr race, twin 150's, support races, etc. The idea is to have something *interesting* on TV every weekend of May to promote the drivers, teams, & the race as best as possible. There are usually 4 weeknds in May, here's my suggestions, anyone please post yours...

1st weekend: road course - GrandAm or ALMS on Sat, IRL 200 miler on Sunday.

2nd weekend: oval - IROC or (new)Silver Crown on Sat, IRL Twin 150's on Sunday (70's era Trenton!)

3rd weekend: pole day on Sat, bump day on Sun.

4th weekend: The 500

Any other suggestions?

NismoZ
01-15-06, 02:51 PM
You are suggesting a common chassis but all Hondas? Forget it. A "Speedweeks" idea is fine but "IRL" races doesn't sound very enticing to me. If FTG, Panoz, Penske or the Amigos themselves are running the place then it's a single spec series or forget the idea.

Ed_Severson
01-15-06, 03:00 PM
My ideal 4 weekends of May

Saturday, May 6th: Major League Baseball
Sunday, May 7th: Major League Baseball

Saturday, May 13th: Champ Car race in Houston
Sunday, May 14th: Major League Baseball

Saturday, May 20th: Champ Car qualifying in Monterrey
Sunday, May 21st: Champ Car race in Monterrey

Saturday, May 27: Major League Baseball
Sunday, May 28th: Mowing the lawn
Monday, May 29th: The traveling idiot tour leaves my city for another year

Andrew Longman
01-15-06, 03:27 PM
I've said several times that I think one way or the other there is a pretty good chance that the IRL will adopt CCs new spec. How much choice TG has it it is another matter. Whether CC would allow it is also another matter. I assume the intellectual property belongs to CC not Panoz. And fans on both sides may not like it.

But for ChrisB sake and the sake of the thread let's just assume it happens. And whether there is a honda or cosworth in the back is irrelevant.

Personally I like the idea and if it were up to me I'd try to put together an event that was a testiment to speed and real racing (not the stuff that goes on at Daytona... or IMS lately).

So how about:

Week 1: a 12 hour ALMS race on the road coarse,
Week 2: twin Atlantics races on the road course, one Sat one Sun, a sprint CC race on the oval,
Week 3: pole day Sat, bump day Sun
Week 4: 500 mile CC race

Wabbit
01-15-06, 03:29 PM
First Weekend: Camping on the beach flying kites.
Second Weekend: Camping on the beach flying kites.
Third Weekend: Camping on the beach flying kites.
Fourth Weekend: Camping on the beach flying kites.

Can you tell it's been a long winter already? 27 days of rain, and no end in sight.

oddlycalm
01-15-06, 04:36 PM
Can you tell it's been a long winter already? 27 days of rain, and no end in sight. Word. I've got moss where my grass used to live. To put the amount of rain into perspective, total snowfall up at the moutain has been 243" since the first snow fell in Novenber.... Wet year.

But back to Chis B's fantasy... Even with TG were out of the picture I still probably wouldn't care much about the IMS, but it's hard to say because he is still around. IROC and USAC races certainly wouldn't help. Screw the Frances and USAC and their ugly cars as well.

Assuming that someone, or some organization, that I respected and cared about bought the place, Andrew's schedule of ALMS and a couple Atlantics races sounds good to me.

oc

NismoZ
01-15-06, 09:25 PM
I can say running Hondas would certainly be relavant to me, unless they called out Cosworth and ran a 2.65 turbo! THEN we have a plan. ALMS, (not a 12 hr. though) Atlantics (road course), CC qualifying and the race. That'd be a nice "Speedmonth."

Rocketdoc
01-15-06, 09:40 PM
The same way I'd do Long Beach:

'With an eighteen year old, super intelligent young lady, who loves intimacy, a gallon of cold Sapphire Martinis, olive and lemon peel, shaken, not stirred, a fine box of Cohiba’s (the illegal one’s), watching from a 5 star hotel balcony facing the straight.

I can’t think of anything else. Yeah, that’ll do.'

Except for the whole month of May.

Except, that I wouldn't commit to anything IRL for any period of time.

That means that I'd spend the month of May at some other racing venues, but I still want the girl, the booze and the cigars....

Rocketdoc
01-15-06, 09:43 PM
I already posted this on TF, and well, let's just say there's some resistance to change, OK? And as if that wasn't asking for trouble, now I'll try to post the same thing on a CCWS forum where TG is usually persona non grata! So let me put this in a context that the hardercores can relate to... let's suppose TG switched to the DP07 which allowed CCWS teams to do the 500. (Or heck, if ya want, suppose TG friggin' sold the IMS to Don Panoz.. whatever works)

The problem still remains that leaving the schedule open for the whole month of May with nothing but endless practice, practice, practice... well, things could be better. It has been suggested from time to time that perhaps the month of May should be more like Daytona Speedweeks... which would be ironic since I always thought Speedweeks was Daytonas attempt to be more like Indy with lotsa events leading up to their respectives 500's.

IMO, the current month of May pales in comparison to the stuff that Speedweeks does... a 24hr race, twin 150's, support races, etc. The idea is to have something *interesting* on TV every weekend of May to promote the drivers, teams, & the race as best as possible. There are usually 4 weeknds in May, here's my suggestions, anyone please post yours...

1st weekend: road course - GrandAm or ALMS on Sat, IRL 200 miler on Sunday.

2nd weekend: oval - IROC or (new)Silver Crown on Sat, IRL Twin 150's on Sunday (70's era Trenton!)

3rd weekend: pole day on Sat, bump day on Sun.

4th weekend: The 500

Any other suggestions?

Everything sounds cool, except the part about the IRL.

Can the IRL, and it makes more sense.

Andrew Longman
01-15-06, 09:56 PM
I can say running Hondas would certainly be relavant to me, unless they called out Cosworth and ran a 2.65 turbo! THEN we have a plan. ALMS, (not a 12 hr. though) Atlantics (road course), CC qualifying and the race. That'd be a nice "Speedmonth."

My bad. Yes it has to be 2.65 turbo. Absolutely.

ChrisB
01-15-06, 11:28 PM
Actually, by now a 2.65L turbo will be producing too much HP for oval racing... unless you reduce the boost to the point where it's essentially an NA engine with the turbo acting as a muffler. The current 3.0L NA Honda engine in the DP07 would be just fine for ovals... though it needs a good tuned muffler which would make it sound very similar to the turbo engine sound. (and do NOT add an airbox just because it's NA)

There seems to be some consistancy though... of the few posts so far, the 1st weekend has something going on the road course... the 2nd has some kind of short oval races... and the 3rd and 4th weekends are obvious.

Andrew Longman
01-16-06, 10:20 AM
Actually, by now a 2.65L turbo will be producing too much HP for oval racing... unless you reduce the boost to the point where it's essentially an NA engine with the turbo acting as a muffler. The current 3.0L NA Honda engine in the DP07 would be just fine for ovals... though it needs a good tuned muffler which would make it sound very similar to the turbo engine sound. (and do NOT add an airbox just because it's NA)

There seems to be some consistancy though... of the few posts so far, the 1st weekend has something going on the road course... the 2nd has some kind of short oval races... and the 3rd and 4th weekends are obvious.

I think the 2.65 circa 2002 had too much for ovals when they were pushing 18K rpm etc. in open competition with 2-3 other manufacturers.

The current Cosworth is limited to 12000 rpm and is probably down 200hp. Not saying that would work, just more likely to be workable.

If both Honda and Cosworth were in the series there would likely be a spec ECU and other controls to keep manufacturers under control or CCWS won't allow it at all. That may change down the road but for the near term, no one is interested in runaway competition among engine companies. The series needs to get a lot more healthy.

At any rate, the ideal month of May, or any month, has the sound of turbos in it :)

Spicoli
01-16-06, 12:09 PM
new boat
houston
monterrey on TV
new boat

NismoZ
01-16-06, 02:31 PM
R'doc...Seriously? For a whole month? You'd never live to see the dawning of June. (ARE there any 5-stars overlooking the straight?)

Rocketdoc
01-17-06, 02:12 AM
R'doc...Seriously? For a whole month? You'd never live to see the dawning of June. (ARE there any 5-stars overlooking the straight?)

I'd try it for the month.

I didn't mention several tanks of oxygen there, electrical paddles, and if the eighteen year old is that good, any hotel will do.

Ankf00
01-17-06, 08:09 AM
there's going to be that shindig in houston with them nancyboy cars

I think there's also going to be some ncaa super regional action going down too, w00t

and memorial day is for toobing :)

Andrew Longman
01-17-06, 10:23 AM
I'd try it for the month.

I didn't mention several tanks of oxygen there, electrical paddles, and if the eighteen year old is that good, any hotel will do.

You might want to bring along a nurse to keep an eye on your vitals. ;)