PDA

View Full Version : College football offseason "Huh?" Moment of the Week

Ed_Severson
01-14-06, 11:37 AM
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Purdue quarterback Brandon Kirsch will forgo his final season of eligibility and enter the NFL draft.

"I had a good time at Purdue, but I feel that it's time for me to move on," Kirsch said Friday in a news release issued by the school. "I went through the evaluation process, talked to a lot of people and got some good reviews. That made the decision a little easier."

Last season, Kirsch started six times and played in eight games, completing 59.1 percent of his passes for 1,727 yards with seven touchdowns and eight interceptions.

In 25 career games, including 12 starts, Kirsch completed 59.7 percent of his passes for 3,532 yards with 23 touchdowns and 16 interceptions. He rushed for 757 yards on 165 carries and five touchdowns.

"I think the NFL is in Brandon's heart, and he should follow his heart," Purdue coach Joe Tiller said.

Now, you may be asking yourself "who in the hell is Brandon Kirsch?" And if you already know the answer to that question, you're almost certainly asking yourself "what the **** is Brandon Kirsch thinking?"

2005 was supposed to be Kirsch's breakout year as Purdue's quarterback after Kyle Orton quit football and went into the looking-like-a-hobo industry. So, what were Kirsch's breakout year stats?

152 for 257 (59.1 %), 1727 yards, 7 TDs, 8 interceptions, 118.4 rating (76th best in college football). He also rushed for an enormous 198 yards and 1 TD.

Oh, and he was 2-4 as Purdue's starting quarterback this year before losing his job to a kid that had never taken a college snap when the season started. :thumbup:

So, from the very bottom of my heart, I'd like to wish Brandon the best of luck. Have fun getting your brains knocked out playing semi-pro football in Evansville. That's got to be much more rewarding than finishing your education and admitting to yourself that you just aren't cut out for the NFL.

Cam
01-14-06, 11:53 AM
*dumbazz* tag ensues. :rofl:

Stu
01-14-06, 12:08 PM
maybe he figures last season was his best year and that he wants to cash in now. hopefully he'll get drafted in the 5th or 6th round, work a year and make the league minimum (which would be a nice salary for an average person).

spends a year or 2 in the NFL, maybe even takes a snap, gets released, goes back to school, finishes his degree and gets a real job.

sounds like a nice plan.

devilmaster
01-14-06, 12:15 PM
what stu said.

he could come back and get sacked a break a leg - and never make it.

At the very least, he doesn't get drafted, gets signed to an NFL Europe team and continues to try and get good enough to be on an NFL team.

This is a perfect example of why the NCAA and their rules suck.

Ed_Severson
01-14-06, 12:41 PM
maybe he figures last season was his best year and that he wants to cash in now.

Maybe you've never seen Brandon Kirsch play football before. :gomer:

The kid was supposed to be a team leader, and he wound up losing two thirds of the games he started, threw more interceptions than touchdowns, and lost his job. Hopefully he'll get drafted in the 5th or 6th round?

Hopefully I'll win the lottery. I don't play the lottery, but it seems to me that my chances are just as good as Brandon's.

This is a perfect example of why the NCAA and their rules suck.

The NCAA's got nothing to do with this. It's an open-and-shut case of terminal stupidity.

Barring a major injury, Kirsch would never have played another down of college football even if he wasn't as dumb as a box of rocks and decided to stay at Purdue. He's got no shot in hell of playing at any professional level. What he does have, though, is a severely overinflated sense of his own abilities, apparently paired with an agent who has a special talent for taking advantage of the tragically inept and oblivious.

Stu
01-14-06, 01:05 PM
Maybe you've never seen Brandon Kirsch play football before.

The kid was supposed to be a team leader, and he wound up losing two thirds of the games he started, threw more interceptions than touchdowns, and lost his job. Hopefully he'll get drafted in the 5th or 6th round?

No I haven't seen him play, but again, maybe he thinks he has peaked in College Footbal, maybe he doesnt like where his team is heading, who knows.

Yes Hopefully he'll get drafted in the 5th or 6th round. Just need a Butch Davis type coach to take a chance on him (Luke McCown).

Ankf00
01-14-06, 01:23 PM
when I read that on espn i spit out my beer :laugh:

did he even put in for a draft status evaluation with the league?

Purdue had a cake sched last year and he couldn't deliver :shakehead

WickerBill
01-14-06, 01:45 PM
You guys may not be far off -- it very well could be that he was told he'd be on the bench for the remainder of his career at Purdue, and instead, he's hoping to ride on some Brees/Orton Purdue QB momentum and land "the best job in sports", backup quarterback.

Ed_Severson
01-14-06, 02:44 PM
"the best job in sports", backup quarterback.

I thought long snapper was the best job in sports. Those guys make the league minimum and work about ten minutes a year. :thumbup:

WickerBill
01-14-06, 02:50 PM
I only say that because, for about 70% of teams in the NFL, the backup QB is the most popular guy in town. Everyone always thinks the backup would do better, but then if and when that backup gets in the game, there are basically no expectations and any good play is hailed as magic.

See: Rosenfels, Garcia, Dorsey, Holcomb, Banks, Tuiasusopo, Garrard... and on and on.

Ed_Severson
01-14-06, 02:58 PM
Good point. For all the perks of long snapping, there is one certain drawback ... people will only know who you are if you screw up at a terribly inconvenient time.

Dr. Corkski
01-14-06, 03:35 PM
Now why can't we get this lucky with Drew Tate? :cry:

This guy couldn't even take Purdue to a bowl game with a cupcake sked this year. With that kind of ineptitude as a QB he should change his name to Drew. Breaking a leg would be the best thing to happen to him so that he realizes that he is well on his way to flaming out of NFLEurope, CFL, and arena ball as a backup. :laugh:

spinner26
01-14-06, 03:57 PM
I thought P U U only brought in intelligent kids. What a dumbazz! :shakehead

Ankf00
01-14-06, 04:16 PM
I only say that because, for about 70% of teams in the NFL, the backup QB is the most popular guy in town. Everyone always thinks the backup would do better, but then if and when that backup gets in the game, there are basically no expectations and any good play is hailed as magic.

See: Rosenfels, Garcia, Dorsey, Holcomb, Banks, Tuiasusopo, Garrard... and on and on.

right on, Jason Garrett turned a couple of decent games for the Cowboys into a 10 year paycheck :laugh:

and if you're Jesse Palmer you can score a hot wife off of a TV show :D

dando
01-14-06, 07:40 PM
when I read that on espn i spit out my beer :laugh:

did he even put in for a draft status evaluation with the league?

Purdue had a cake sched last year and he couldn't deliver :shakehead
Stop drinking Natty Light, and that won't happen. :gomer:

d00d gets drafted in the late rounds and he won't even get a signing bonus. Hell, I'd take Ron Mexico Jr. over this dumbazz. :shakehead

-Kevin

IlliniRacer
01-14-06, 10:00 PM
Just something I'll throw out. I have no idea what kind of kid he is, but maybe he wouldn't be able to play next year anyway.

I remember Illini fans lamenting Marcus Liberty turning pro after his Junior. That fact of the matter was, Liberty was on the verge of flunking out of school. More than likely, he wasn't playing next year anyway.

Easy
01-16-06, 11:15 AM
Now why can't we get this lucky with Drew Tate? :cry:

He has learned from his mistakes, and will now be the next Joe Montana/John Elway/Dan Marino/Cade McNown all rolled into one dude. :laugh:

Ankf00
01-20-06, 10:10 PM
Fred Rouse kicked off of FSU (http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060120/BREAKINGNEWS/60120050) , too bad he's only 19 or he could go join Kirsch and Vick in the "qb's no one wants to draft" category :gomer:

Honestly, how badly do you have to f@#% up to be to have Bobby f'ing Bowden kick you off for "conduct detrimental to the welfare of the football team?"

extramundane
01-20-06, 10:21 PM
Honestly, how badly do you have to f@#% up to be to have Bobby f'ing Bowden kick you off for "conduct detrimental to the welfare of the football team?"

He went to class and made good grades?