PDA

View Full Version : Dial up question.

mapguy
03-25-03, 07:57 AM
OK- I know that all of you here have broadband and I hate you all for it. ;) But I am having a bit of a problem here. I use MSN and it is 10 times better than AOL. Whenever I connected the speed would always be between 49.2k and 50.6k. That held true between 2 apartments in two cities and one house over a period of almost three years. That all changed on Sunday. For some reason I now can only get between 45.0 and 46.6 and the difference is noticable. I tried different phone jacks and no change. I went out and bought another phone cable and it didn't make a difference.

Could it be the modem?

Warlock!
03-25-03, 08:04 AM
Consider yourself lucky. I'm 28.8 - 32.2 at home in Bufu, NW Ohio. Makes it a painstaking project to try to download, well... you know... :cry:

Of course I get what I pay for, which is $109/year

Warlock!

WickerBill
03-25-03, 09:04 AM
So wait... you're saying you use... what was it? The PHONE LINE to connect to the internet? You mean like a normal telephone connection?

;) ;)

If you made no changes, then the change was elsewhere. Your speed drop is (honestly) negligable. The issue is likely noise on the line, and it would take very, very little noise to effect that kind of change (from 49 to 45). A connector at the phone box could be rusting, you could have a somewhat loose connection at the pole, it could have gotten damp... there's just no telling. Unfortunately.

Eagle104
03-25-03, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Warlock!
Consider yourself lucky. I'm 28.8 - 32.2 at home in Bufu, NW Ohio. Makes it a painstaking project to try to download, well... you know... :cry:

Of course I get what I pay for, which is $109/year

Warlock!
Consider yourself lucky, I'm 21.6, 99.9% of the time. The other 1/10% will actually reach 24k/bps.

The result of living-in-the-sticks at the azs-end of an old telephone trunk. And it will pr'y never get better.

:(

Of course, being a 'promotional' intnt service customer means it's free...

Turn7
03-25-03, 11:20 AM
The only other quick fix idea I have is check and see if you have a secondary dial up number. If so, connect using that number and see if there is any speed difference.

Sean O'Gorman
03-25-03, 11:32 AM
Wow, 28k? :laugh: I feel your pain though, I went from 768kps MSN DSL at my old house, to about a month of dial-up because MSN Broadband wasn't available at the new house. Now I have a 2.9mbps connection with COX HSI (cable) and it is almost mind boggling.