PDA

View Full Version : What would be the ideal way to do LB?

Andrew Longman
01-13-06, 06:08 PM
I have been buried at work for months and will be buried a few months more. And I'm jonesin' bad for some methanol and turbos. Cleveland and RA are givens for me but that seems so far off and I'd like to treat myself.

Its probably a pipedream, but Winston W and others, if I were to do LB right, what would it be?

I know i'm making trouble for myself because Trevor is on here all the time. As soon as he sees this posted he'll be making plans ;)

RichK
01-13-06, 07:39 PM
I've been there over 10 times, and our favorite is to stay at the Westin (call now and reserve a trackside room) or the hotel in the middle of the track (Hilton). It's expensive, but so nice to wake up in a Westin bed to the sound of racecars. :)

There's a bar and restaurant on the ground floor, you get to meet lots of drivers in the elevators, and you have a home base for the weekend.

http://www.reservetravel.com/v4/hotelimages/pegs/WI/LGBCH/re_lgbch_b1a.jpg

SteveH
01-13-06, 09:58 PM
FWIW, I saw recently on another forum that the downtown hotels are all sold out. I'm at the Hilton, booked it as soon as the date was announced.

Last year I stayed at a Days Inn on PCH about 2 miles inland, $145/night for a dump. It was an 'interestin' area.

Anteater
01-13-06, 10:39 PM
If the downtown motels/hotels are booked, then I recommend the Best Western Golden Sails Inn. http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=05519

I stayed there last year, and it was a fine little inn. A full-on breakfast buffet is included in the room rate, (a real hot breakfast with eggs and bacon, not that pitiful continental deal), and they have a FREE shuttle that takes you to the track on Sat. & Sun.! :cool: You can take the Passport bus to the track on Friday; the bus stop is right across the street. That's if you want to avoid the parking hassle.

Of course, I have to recommend attending the CCIC dinner (I'm one of the CCIC Local Coordinators for Long Beach). I hope you're a CCIC member, because there is some cool stuff in store for members at Long Beach.

And then there's the traditional kart racing Friday night at Dromo One. It's so much fun!

RHR_Fan
01-13-06, 10:42 PM
Of course, I have to recommend attending the CCIC dinner (I'm one of the CCIC Local Coordinators for Long Beach). I hope you're a CCIC member, because there is some cool stuff in store for members at Long Beach.

And then there's the traditional kart racing Friday night at Dromo One. It's so much fun!

Even though I'm not going to LB, would you like to hook me up with some of that cool stuff? ;) :p

~Nicole

Anteater
01-13-06, 10:47 PM
The CCIC will have cool stuff at RA too, Nicole, so just be patient. :)

TravelGal
01-14-06, 02:04 AM
Isn't it the Hyatt in the middle of the track? The Hilton is outside at the western end, isn't it?

I think there is a Renaissance near the Westin also, if memory serves.

I just bought my tickets yesterday. Whooooohoooooo.

CCIC discount is 10%. They asked for my card number. No SoCal AAA package this year, or so "Adam" thought. At least it has not been anounced to them yet if there will be one, he said.

You MUST be there on Friday. It gets packed by Saturday and Sunday is hopeless for seeing much inside the paddock because there are just too many people.

Bubba Gumps is packed the whole time. You can usually get in fairly quickly at Rock Bottom Brewery (Ocean and Pine) because they have so much space. Oodles of places up Pine, going away from the track. The bar area at the Hyatt is awfully good for people, driver, and CCWS spotting too.

C'mon down. TravelGuy and I would love to say hi.

SteveH
01-14-06, 02:52 AM
Isn't it the Hyatt in the middle of the track? The Hilton is outside at the western end, isn't it?

Yes and yes. The Hyatt was where most of the teams stayed last year. Saw several drivers on Sat. and Sun. afternoon as they were heading back to their room while we were having a few Tecates in the bar. The Hilton is the official hotel, that's where CC is set up for credentials and the like.

Forgot about the CCIC 10%, ordered tickets a month ago. :cry:

coolhand
01-14-06, 04:08 AM
I find the hilton a pain to walk back and forth to the track. I personally would choose the Westin.

CARTNUT
01-14-06, 04:52 AM
Steer clear of the Vagabond on Alamitos. Worst hotel on planet Earth!

Mrs. 'NUT & I will be slummin' it this year. I bribed a co-worker with beer & soda to vacate his apartment on 1st St. for the weekend. < 1/4 mile to turn 11! What a guy! :thumbup:

BTW - Is there a CCIC discount on the Pit Lane Club Deal???

'NUT :gomer:

Winston Wolfe
01-14-06, 10:39 AM
One word - Hyatt.

If you want to "do it right"....

Get a trackside view, higher floors. Its pretty $$$$, but I have stayed there 5-6 times, and all of the rooms have been completely renovated w\in the last 2 years, and lots of teams, drivers, celebs stay there.
5 minute walk to convention center.
5 minute walk to pit lane.
10 minute walk to garage.
1 minute walk to cold beer. :D
2 minute walk from room to hot tub. ( Its nice to sit in the hot tub, and listen to the Trans Am cars honkin' down Shoreline, in the late afternoon on a friday, with an $8 bud light draft in your hand, soaking up sun, hot, chlorinated air with bubbles from the tub, watching people walk across the pedestrian bridge)
Great access to virtually EVERY section of the track ('cept the Hairpin)
Its expensive, but when you get a total of 3 people staying in the room each night (2 beds + rollaway), it becomes palatable.
If you want to "do it the ideal way", I can think of no better way... :thumbup:

Anteater
01-14-06, 11:55 AM
No SoCal AAA package this year, or so "Adam" thought. At least it has not been anounced to them yet if there will be one, he said.

WHAT!?! :confused: I hope "Adam" is wrong--that's been the best deal for years! I didn't see the usual ad for the "Spring Brake" special in this month's Westways, but then it was all full of promos for the Feb. NASCAB race. I hoped that the "Spring Break" deal would be in the March/April edition. Hmmm.

UPDATE: I just checked availability for the BW Golden Sails--they're not available from Thurs.-Monday! :flame: On to Plan B.

RHR_Fan
01-14-06, 01:32 PM
The CCIC will have cool stuff at RA too, Nicole, so just be patient. :)

I know, I know. I'm just messin' with ya!

~Nicole

RichK
01-14-06, 02:37 PM
Oops, yes I meant the Hyatt is in the middle of the track, not the Hilton. I got the "H" part right...

The Rock Bottom Brewery is pretty good and usually a table opens up, as TravelGal posted. Also, the little "strip" of restaurants/bars on Pine St. has turned into a fun area during the weekend.

All of that is walking distance from the track & nice hotels mentioned above.

Have fun!

Andrew Longman
01-14-06, 03:37 PM
OK Hyatt is sold out. Maybe that will wait a year.

What about staying on the Queen Mary? That's sounds cool and its available

Anteater
01-14-06, 03:43 PM
I just checked the AAA travel site; it appears that the Hyatt, the Long Beach Marriott, and the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown LB are booked. I just got a room at the Coast Inn, which is on the waterfront across from the track. It looks pretty sweet: http://www.coasthotels.com/home/sites/longbeach/

How long before this thread gets moved to the "Gatherings" forum?

FCYTravis
01-14-06, 06:49 PM
A lot of the teams book the Hyatt, so it's a good place to people-watch.

manic mechanic
01-14-06, 07:03 PM
WHAT!?! :confused: I hope "Adam" is wrong--that's been the best deal for years! I didn't see the usual ad for the "Spring Brake" special in this month's Westways, but then it was all full of promos for the Feb. NASCAB race. I hoped that the "Spring Break" deal would be in the March/April edition. Hmmm.

Just for the sake of info, AAA doesn't usually release motorsports offers until ~60 days prior to the event. They are busy hyping the AAA 500 NECKCAR event right now, and will proceed to give us LBGP deals in the Mar/Apr issue of the member mag (or that's what I've heard).

I'm stuck with commuting 124 miles a day again this year, but still haven't figured out where to sit on Sunday yet considering that my favorite grandstand is now a hospitality area. :flame:

Chance to say it will all work out before the green flag drops.

manic

Ziggy
01-14-06, 07:55 PM
The best way, avoid forum wankers

Ziggy

TravelGal
01-15-06, 01:19 AM
When Adam said no AAA package, I said to him, "Wait til Manic Mechanic hears this!" He laughed. I don't think he thought it was a real person.

The Coast is a pretty decent hotel. A lot of cruise people stay there because it is so close to Carnival's Long Beach terminal. On normal weekends, they have a shuttle to take guests across the bridge into Long Beach proper. You might ask them what they do for the race weekend.

AndrewL, I don't know how far in advance you have to plan but if a team has some rooms unused from its block in the Hyatt, you might get a room if they release them in time. Say a couple of weeks prior to the race. Price might be through the roof though.

From what I hear, Queen Mary is very historic but it really hasn't been taken care of properly. I haven't actually stayed on it in many years myself but I have not heard good things recently. The public rooms and restaurants are fun. The ghost tours and the boiler room tours are fun. The sleeping rooms are not so much fun.

Hopes this helps.

Signed, Your sorta local travel agent

G.
01-15-06, 05:44 PM
I think that your biggest concern should be, "How do I explain to Trevor what 'jonesin' means and how would I know that?"

:laugh:

Have fun!

Rocketdoc
01-15-06, 09:10 PM
With an eighteen year old, super intelligent young lady, who loves intimacy, a gallon of cold Sapphire Martins, olive and lemon peel, shaken, not stirred, a fine box of Cohiba’s (the illegal one’s), watching from a 5 star hotel balcony facing the straight.

I can’t think of anything else. Yeah, that’ll do.

skaven
01-18-06, 11:48 PM
Rocketdoc - :D

Had dinner and drinks at the Yard House last night right along the water. Excellent food at reasonable prices and an amazing beer list on tap. :thumbup:

CARTNUT
01-19-06, 01:07 PM
As of last night, the Queen Mary Hotel still has Deluxe State Rooms available for around $188. I've never stayed there but it's pretty close to the track and in a nice area.

Anteater
01-20-06, 10:47 PM

Had dinner and drinks at the Yard House last night right along the water. Excellent food at reasonable prices and an amazing beer list on tap. :thumbup:

It was probably nice when you were there, but that place is a madhouse during race weekend! :eek:

Ankf00
01-21-06, 01:52 AM

dont go to the Yardhouse, that's where cork goes to pick up fat, single, fake journalists :gomer:

greenie
01-21-06, 03:08 AM
The best way, avoid forum wankers

Ziggy

:thumbup:

Sweet! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

On topic, hit the Yard House - but year after year it's much more of a c-**** to get in (particularly on late Sat and early Sun).

There are now 10 plus bigtime bars w/in the circuit. There's a bar that you can access w/GA right at the tail end of Turn 1. Perfect spot. I'll see ya'll there.

Spicoli
01-21-06, 08:10 AM
:thumbup:

greenie
01-21-06, 03:22 PM
Hey - Check out this room rate:

Check in: Thu 06 Apr 2006
Check out: Mon 10 Apr 2006
Hotel Information
Hilton Long Beach & Executive Meeting Center
701 West Ocean Boulevard
Long Beach, California
1-562-983-3400 Directions and transportation
Local maps
Area information
Room & Rate Information
Rooms: 1
Guests per room: 1 Adult
Smoking preference: Non-Smoking
Room Description: 2 DOUBLE BEDS
Room Type Preferences: Non-Smoking; Two beds
Your preferences have been submitted with your reservation, and are subject to hotel availability.
Rate type: BEST AVAILABLE RATE
Rate per Night: 109.00 USD

------->>>> Kegger @ the Hilton. :gomer:

racer2c
01-21-06, 03:58 PM
" What would be the ideal way to do LB?"

In front of my large screen TV with a pitcher of bloody mary's made with Clamato and Stoli Pepper. Naked with Klenex boxes on my feet.

I though LB was just for 'event fans'. Us 'real' race fans can't go to LB! :gomer:

CART 500
01-21-06, 05:16 PM
Hey - Check out this room rate:

Check in: Thu 06 Apr 2006
Check out: Mon 10 Apr 2006
Hotel Information
Hilton Long Beach & Executive Meeting Center
701 West Ocean Boulevard
Long Beach, California
1-562-983-3400 Directions and transportation
Local maps
Area information
Room & Rate Information
Rooms: 1
Guests per room: 1 Adult
Smoking preference: Non-Smoking
Room Description: 2 DOUBLE BEDS
Room Type Preferences: Non-Smoking; Two beds
Your preferences have been submitted with your reservation, and are subject to hotel availability.
Rate type: BEST AVAILABLE RATE
Rate per Night: 109.00 USD

------->>>> Kegger @ the Hilton. :gomer:

Nice room rate :cool:
Should interesting carrying a keg through the lobby of the Hilton
:D

SteveH
01-21-06, 06:25 PM
^ or two :laugh: :thumbup:

CARTNUT
01-22-06, 01:15 AM

did ya get the room?

manic mechanic
01-22-06, 04:59 PM
Nice room rate :cool:
Should interesting carrying a keg through the lobby of the Hilton
:D

Save that much money on the room and I'll wager that you could have one delivered without eating into the savings too far! :D

Heck, just get a couple of 5 gallons from Rock Bottom or Belmont Brewing. They are easier to carry and taste better! ;)

manic

greenie
01-22-06, 05:41 PM
did ya get the room?

The preferences is smoking or non smoking, double beds, etc. The room's a go it appears. Credit to CART 500 for finding the deal - it was right as the race date was announced. :thumbup:

SteveH
01-22-06, 06:14 PM
And I have two more just like it :thumbup: :D

CART 500
01-22-06, 06:33 PM
This could be a fun weekend :cool:

SteveH
01-22-06, 10:32 PM

could? Like there's a chance it won't be? http://www.leasticoulddo.com/files/hot/Smilies/beerchug.gif

Anteater
02-22-06, 08:39 PM
Just for the sake of info, AAA doesn't usually release motorsports offers until ~60 days prior to the event. They are busy hyping the AAA 500 NECKCAR event right now, and will proceed to give us LBGP deals in the Mar/Apr issue of the member mag (or that's what I've heard).

Or not. :flame: I just went through my entire Westways magazine (for AAA members). Not a single mention of the LBGP ANYWHERE IN THE MAGAZINE, let alone the usual "Spring Break" deal--not even in the calendar. I knew it was a bad sign when there was nothing about AAA sponsorship in the race brochures. :saywhat:

nissan gtp
02-22-06, 08:47 PM

It'll be ok :D :thumbup:

TravelGal
02-23-06, 04:38 PM
Or not. :flame: I just went through my entire Westways magazine (for AAA members). Not a single mention of the LBGP ANYWHERE IN THE MAGAZINE, let alone the usual "Spring Break" deal--not even in the calendar. I knew it was a bad sign when there was nothing about AAA sponsorship in the race brochures. :saywhat:

It's too bad that AAA has faded away in sponsorhip (or even mention) but the CCIC discount is a better deal anyway. Or at least it was for me.

(don't say I didn't warn ya though)

Anteater
02-23-06, 08:53 PM
Yes, you did warn us, TravelGal, but I'm still disappointed and angry, especially in view of all the bucks they're putting into the damned cab race.

CARTNUT
02-24-06, 03:19 PM
Yes, you did warn us, TravelGal, but I'm still disappointed and angry, especially in view of all the bucks they're putting into the damned cab race.

FAAA!!! :flame:
(wanted to get the credit card key made for the new car this year.)

Thank God we still have King Taco!!! :gomer:

Mr. Toad
02-24-06, 08:40 PM
If I were to do LB right, what would it be?
;)

On someone else's dime. :D