PDA

View Full Version : Olympics - where's the hype?

G.
01-12-06, 02:39 PM
I never really realized it, but the winter olys start soon. Where has the hype been? Nothing.

Don't know if that's refreshing or dangerous for NBC.

Heard that there will be even more coverage than before. :cool:

I heard about them in resonse to the skiier Bode Miller and his comments on skiing while drunk on 60 Minutes.

I am SOOOO sorry (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060112/ap_on_sp_ot/ski_miller_apology;_ylt=Auj.tKrHzwrdmygRxgx3VuoDW7 oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl)

Spicoli, any thoughts on drunk skiing?

Stu
01-12-06, 02:54 PM
I saw parts of the interview, why apologize. Its not like he said it was sweet to get drunk and ski.

Anyway, the only time I will care about the winter olympics is if they preempt Scrubs, Earl, or the Office. :flame:

rabbit
01-12-06, 03:08 PM
I'm hyped. I love the winter olympics - all the bobsledding, luging, skeletoning, downhill skiing, and speedskating a man could ask for. And I love the addition of the snowboarding etc. in recent years.

racer2c
01-12-06, 03:11 PM
Get ready for nausiating marketing of Bode Fever.

KLang
01-12-06, 03:25 PM
There was an article in Newsweek a few weeks ago titled 'The Stealth Olympics'. :laugh: The usual questions about having all the venues done in time and security.

I'll be watching. Still haven't read about the plans for HiDef coverage other then DishNetwork having a dedicated HiDef channel.

Spicoli
01-12-06, 03:27 PM
I never really realized it, but the winter olys start soon. Where has the hype been? Nothing.

Don't know if that's refreshing or dangerous for NBC.

Heard that there will be even more coverage than before. :cool:

I heard about them in resonse to the skiier Bode Miller and his comments on skiing while drunk on 60 Minutes.

I am SOOOO sorry (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060112/ap_on_sp_ot/ski_miller_apology;_ylt=Auj.tKrHzwrdmygRxgx3VuoDW7 oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl)

Spicoli, any thoughts on drunk skiing?

bode is the man. Anybody saw that 60m interview should walk away with no other impression. He's a very hard worker, is talented beyond belief, and has his game ON. I see a bit '0 PT in him, but he's more laid back.

every 2 years we get to watch guys like this - or who want to be like this - and sure there is "Bode-mania" and all that hype, but WGAF? Kick it up a notch and enjoy.

Try going down Birds of Prey at 100mph. skaven been there, eh? ;)

I think you all will like Bode the more you see of him. Watch out for Daron Rahlves too.

Spicoli
01-12-06, 03:31 PM
P.S. - Drunkered skiing rawks. :thumbup:

racer2c
01-12-06, 03:32 PM
bode is the man. Anybody saw that 60m interview should walk away with no other impression. He's a very hard worker, is talented beyond belief, and has his game ON. I see a bit '0 PT in him, but he's more laid back.

every 2 years we get to watch guys like this - or who want to be like this - and sure there is "Bode-mania" and all that hype, but WGAF? Kick it up a notch and enjoy.

Try going down Birds of Prey at 100mph. skaven been there, eh? ;)

I think you all will like Bode the more you see of him. Watch out for Daron Rahlves too.

Bode is the man, I just cringe at what the media is going to do to him though. But, he'll survive, they all do. Even Mary Lou.

Wheel-Nut
01-12-06, 03:35 PM
I hope the American Bobsled Team got Dick Trickle signed to a contract.

Ankf00
01-12-06, 03:35 PM
Winter games pwn aside from the nancyboy skating crap :gomer:

although I'm not looking forward to another round of Tiana and curling from 4 years ago ;) :p

Hockey USA is gonna get mudhole stomped in 'em :(

Gnam
01-12-06, 03:37 PM
OLN is covering the Alpine Skiing World Cup Events leading up to the Olympics. I believe they call it 'Ten weeks to Torino.'

Personally, I could do without any figure skating hype. And how do you hype curling? :p

racer2c
01-12-06, 03:38 PM
Bode's drinkin' and skiin' comments have made the front page of CNN which linked here. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/olympics/2006/01/12/bc.ski.millerapology.ap/index.html?cnn=yes)

KLang
01-12-06, 03:45 PM
Not a big fan of figure skating either but I did really enjoy watching Sarah Hughes win in 2002.

Al Czervik
01-12-06, 03:53 PM
OLN is covering the Alpine Skiing World Cup Events leading up to the Olympics. I believe they call it 'Ten weeks to Torino.'

"Ten Weeks to Torino" sounds like a show with Mulletts, cinder blocks, and a mid '70's Ford coupe.

G.
01-12-06, 04:20 PM
I'll be watching. Still haven't read about the plans for HiDef coverage other then DishNetwork having a dedicated HiDef channel.Heard on the radio that there would be two hidef channels with oly programming.

KLang
01-12-06, 04:44 PM
Heard on the radio that there would be two hidef channels with oly programming.

Just announced yesterday (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10791823/)

NBC HD and Universal HD. I won't have access to Universal HD until later this year from DishNetwork. Hopefully their announced 'HD olympic channel' will be the Universal HD feed. I also hope the NBC HD coverage isn't a day behind like it was in 2002.

Schedule (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10792454/)

Edit:

Found a more complete annoucement at a satellite forum:

NBC HD
The Torino Games will feature the most high definition coverage in Olympic television history. For the first time, Olympic HD viewers will see a simulcast of the analog broadcast - same time, same broadcasters, same graphics - but in High Definition and in 5.1 surround sound.

Figure skating, hockey, long and short track speed skating, ski jumping, freestyle aerials and moguls, and the Opening and Closing Ceremonies will all be broadcast in 1080i high definition because those venues in Torino are wired for high definition coverage by the host broadcaster. From those venues where the host broadcaster is unable to provide a high definition signal, a 16:9 signal will be upconverted by NBC.

:cool: :thumbup:

Just realized I'll be on vacation in Mexico the first couple days.

TKGAngel
01-12-06, 08:42 PM
God bless the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation for providing an alternate to the NBC point-of-view.

I'm excited about skiing, and bobsledding and luge. Figure skating only works if the guys are cute.

Sean O'Gorman
01-12-06, 11:32 PM
Is that one hot Canadian skater with the d-bag boyfriend coming back?

Opposite Lock
01-12-06, 11:57 PM

You haven’t heard?

Rumor has it that the Olympic Committee has just commissioned Gene Simmons to write a new anthem for the ‘lympics. So far all they have released are the lyrics to the chorus, although the chorus is said to be about 95% of the song:

"I am Limpy!
I am Limpy!
I am Limpy!
Hey!!"

Gene says that once the check clears, he will provide verses, which "will really blow you away”.

Lizzerd
01-13-06, 03:01 AM
Olympics time is just one more reason to thank myself for working at home. TV in my office... but not HD.