PDA

View Full Version : More San Jose track changes announced

cameraman
01-12-06, 02:05 PM
I guess they can afford them now...

"By swapping the pit lane and race track we accomplish two goals," said San José Grand Prix Vice President and General Manager, Bob Singleton. "First, we addressed one of the major concerns of the drivers, to improve the pit lane exit and make it safer. Second, we wanted to enhance the view of the pit lane and on-track action from the grandstands. By moving pit lane across the street, we accomplished both goals," he explained. Singleton also noted that, "As a result of the change we have also relocated the Champ Car paddock to inside the Convention Center."

http://www.sanjosegrandprix.com/images/trackmap775.gif

Tickets for the 2006 San José Grand Prix can be purchased online at SJGP.com, Ticketmaster.com, by visiting a Ticketmaster ticket center or by calling 408-998-TIXS (8497), 415-421-TIXS or 510-625-TIXS. Tickets start at $25 for general admission and go up to $160 for a three-day Gold Grandstand seat.

CART T. Katz
01-12-06, 02:43 PM
that is going to be a very long frontstretch. i think a chicane is going to have to go in there somewhere.

tllips
01-12-06, 03:31 PM
At least there is a runoff at the end of that straight now.

Gnam
01-12-06, 03:41 PM
and some runoff for the last turn onto the front straight. Last year, that was the entrance to the pits and the paddock.

NismoZ
01-12-06, 03:42 PM
I remember discussing the pitlane change when we first saw layouts last year. Maybe they solved problems associated with "room for firefighting equipment"? The reason for that worst-chicane-ever-built was lack of runoff at the hairpin but as noted there now is one. I hope it's well done and not just tires stacked at 90 deg. That is a big concern. Smoother rail crossings are a must....or will that detract from the "heritage and tradition" that is San Jose!? ;)

cameraman
01-23-06, 04:49 PM
They are moving the Palm trees off out of the way.

Sixteen of San Jose's signature palm trees will be moved off the Park Avenue medians closest to Plaza de Cesar Chavez because organizers of this summer's San Jose Grand Prix are widening that segment of their course through downtown streets.

Borden said all the changes along Park Avenue are expected to cost organizers $505,000. The other work includes narrowing the medians and removing a light and island on the northeast corner of Park and Almaden.

To remedy the situation, organizers moved the race from the eastbound lane of Park to the westbound lane. Initially, the street is wide enough from the curb to the existing median, but the median expands later in the block, making the course too narrow.

That's where the trees will be removed.

Mercury News (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/the_valley/13685057.htm)