PDA

View Full Version : A MUST READ - John Oreovicz on the .1RL's new marketing deal

Chitowncartfreak
01-11-06, 08:10 PM
Too freaking funny!!!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?series=irl&id=2288415

NismoZ
01-11-06, 08:26 PM
I liked it.

devilmaster
01-11-06, 08:33 PM
hooo boy.

There's gonna be some exploding lemmings in Indy tonite. :laugh:

Elmo T
01-11-06, 09:11 PM
So how does he REALLY feel? :rofl:

pchall
01-11-06, 09:27 PM
All marketing, no product.

Isn't that the American way these days?

The Vision™ is at the leading edge as always!

tantra
01-12-06, 12:08 AM
Ok, so which one of you here actually wrote that piece?
pc, are ghost writing again to pick up a few bucks to get your old ars to more races this year?

DagoFast
01-12-06, 12:29 AM
I can't imagine what kind of articles they have to look forward to in May, this is some bad stuff to have written about you in January for crying out loud.

Then again, I havent been this excited for May since 1995! :rofl: :rofl:

Winston Wolfe
01-12-06, 12:35 AM
:rofl: :rofl: That has GOT to be written by one of the faithful CART \ CCWS fans from this or another site. :D
He hit 'em right between the eyes with a 2x4 and didnt hold back. Apart from throwing in "coke addled, misguided, lucky ***** club member" Tony George , Oreovicz just hit one out of Yankee Stadium....

CrackForum explosion in 3,2,1......

dando
01-12-06, 12:56 AM
:rofl:

:thumbup: :thumbup:

"This is unique and aggressive, and I think that's a stance we have to take," commented Barnhart, the IRL's president and chief operating officer. "We're really excited to see Gene and Rich bring their entertainment sense and marketing ideas and what they bring in terms of connections to the IndyCar Series at a point in time where we need to be thinking outside of the box.

"It's very aggressive, and I think it's exactly what the IndyCar Series needs."

Oreo forgot one part: "Barnfart was last seen re-arranging the deck chairs....." :gomer:

-Kevin

Spicoli
01-12-06, 03:04 AM
:shakehead :shakehead

What's really funny is that this is on ESPN.com, "the Broadcast Partner"'s webiste.

:cry:

cart7
01-12-06, 06:40 AM
ABC/ESPN, we've got Nascar now, who needs the irl? :laugh:

TKGAngel
01-12-06, 09:32 AM
Oreovitz is my new hero after that column, but this one had me laughing...

Dario Franchitti and Tony Kanaan could plug in the Gibson guitars they won as trophies for winning IRL races at Nashville Superspeedway, and they could recruit their buddy Patrick Carpentier to play drums. With Dan Wheldon tapping a tambourine and Patrick on lead vocals, they could be the next Spice Girls.

All they need is Helio and Danica as the backup dancers and they could go on tour!

EVL29
01-12-06, 10:16 AM
"Tony you're a rich man, who owns a speedway
Gonna rule open-wheel 'round the world one day
You got millions of bucks
CART fans think you suck
But just smile and wave and wish 'em good luck
Singin' I Am, I Am Indy!
I Am, I Am Indy!"

Oreo= :thumbup:

:laugh:

NismoZ
01-12-06, 11:36 AM
Yeah, it's unique and aggressive, alright...like taking aim at the moon and shooting yourself in the ass.

Hard Driver
01-12-06, 11:45 AM
Good article, except the text of the add he wrote for Tony George at the end. I think that Tony's little ad should read.

" I am an idiot that has destroyed my families legacy. I have squandered the reputation of the Indy 500 and have now had a realization that I need to end this destructive course of action, called the IRL. I am now asking for the Champcar World series to please come back and save the institution of the Indy 500. I will happily return to my previous job of milking the Indy 500, but now with the realization that I am a lucky idiot and should leave any real thinking to other people."

Andrew Longman
01-12-06, 12:30 PM
"I Am Indy," which the IRL claims is the first official theme song for a professional sport. An IRL news release actually had the cheek to compare "I Am Indy" to Queen's now-generic sports anthem "We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions."

Maybe that's because no other sport feels they need it. Or maybe that's because its a truly stupid idea.

I'm not a fan of Queen but aren't We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions actually two different songs?

Accipiter
01-12-06, 12:49 PM

True!
:rofl: :rofl:

dando
01-12-06, 12:53 PM
I'm not a fan of Queen but aren't We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions actually two different songs?
Technically, yes.They are listed as separate tracks on CDs. But many consider them to be one and the same since We Will Rock You bleeds into We Are the Champions.

-Kevin

dando
01-12-06, 12:59 PM
Except that they don't have NASCAB for another year, and they have the TWIRL through '09 (IIRC).

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
01-12-06, 01:52 PM
I am a marketing VP and I would never hire a marketing firm where the first important message to the market was that I had hired them. This seems way beyond the normal press release kind of stuff. Where does it say anywhere why Gene Simmons is especially qualified or suited to help the IRL? What other brands has he raised?

Think about other great marketing organizations. Quick, who is Apple's marketing firm? Google? American Girl? Coke? American Express? Nike?

Their firms let their work speak for their clients. Gene Simmons seems to be promoting himself as much as the IRL.

But given how bad the song is and the response has been, even over at TF, I somehow don't think this is going to last very long. About as long as lil Al in the dracula suit.

TKGAngel
01-12-06, 02:13 PM
I am a marketing VP and I would never hire a marketing firm where the first important message to the market was that I had hired them. This seems way beyond the normal press release kind of stuff. Where does it say anywhere why Gene Simmons is especially qualified or suited to help the IRL? What other brands has he raised?

Think about other great marketing organizations. Quick, who is Apple's marketing firm? Google? American Girl? Coke? American Express? Nike?

Their firms let their work speak for their clients. Gene Simmons seems to be promoting himself as much as the IRL.

But given how bad the song is and the response has been, even over at TF, I somehow don't think this is going to last very long. About as long as lil Al in the dracula suit.

Word to your entire post. Maybe the Simmons whatever agency is hoping to drum up new clients by working on the IRL? Yeah, I know, what's the likelihood that all 5 people watching the IRL are looking for an ad agency?

Lil Al in a Dracula suit? WTF?

racer2c
01-12-06, 03:29 PM
Word to your entire post. Maybe the Simmons whatever agency is hoping to drum up new clients by working on the IRL? Yeah, I know, what's the likelihood that all 5 people watching the IRL are looking for an ad agency?

Lil Al in a Dracula suit? WTF?

I couldn't find him in the Dracula custome but here is some of that good ol' IRL marketing savy.

http://www.racediecast.com/INDY%20CARS/unserjr-00dracula64act.jpg

Cam
01-12-06, 04:49 PM
The Robin gets a few kicks (http://speedtv.com/commentary/21526/) in for himself. The Gomerati are not having a very good week! :D

Chitowncartfreak
01-12-06, 09:51 PM
The Robin gets a few kicks (http://speedtv.com/commentary/21526/) in for himself. The Gomerati are not having a very good week! :D

Another spot-on assessment of the situation!

pchall
01-12-06, 10:02 PM
Ok, so which one of you here actually wrote that piece?
pc, are ghost writing again to pick up a few bucks to get your old ars to more races this year?

I owe you a couple of beers in the esses. :)

SteveH
01-12-06, 11:25 PM

Week? They wish they were that lucky. Since the season ended they've been swimming in shinola. Not one bit of good news.

RichK
01-13-06, 01:19 PM
http://www.mccomputersonline.com/chriswillard/images/10142000/AlUnserJr.JPG

formulaben
01-13-06, 03:54 PM
:shakehead