PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Documentary Fans.

racer2c
01-10-06, 10:02 PM
While flipping channels last night (lamenting the end of MNF), I stopped on PBS that was just starting the first episode of the David Sutherland documentary, 'Country Boys'. I watched all two hours. While not as intriguing as David's 'The Farmers Wife' (which is one of my favorite documentaries) it's a strong piece.

The film is based around two young troubled teens whose story isn't exactly unique. they could be from Anywhere U.S.A., but placed in their impoverished Kentucky mountain town, it's a captivating snapshot of rural America that doesn't get enough attention in these days of McMansions, SUV's and ipod/cell phone sportin' 8th graders.

it starts now on PBS (EST). Sorry for the short notice.

dando
01-11-06, 05:21 PM
While flipping channels last night (lamenting the end of MNF), I stopped on PBS that was just starting the first episode of the David Sutherland documentary, 'Country Boys'. I watched all two hours. While not as intriguing as David's 'The Farmers Wife' (which is one of my favorite documentaries) it's a strong piece.

The film is based around two young troubled teens whose story isn't exactly unique. they could be from Anywhere U.S.A., but placed in their impoverished Kentucky mountain town, it's a captivating snapshot of rural America that doesn't get enough attention in these days of McMansions, SUV's and ipod/cell phone sportin' 8th graders.

it starts now on PBS (EST). Sorry for the short notice.
Damn. I was hoping for a new Ken Burns docu, but he's not due for another one for another year or so. :(

-Kevin

G.
01-11-06, 06:17 PM
saw the first installment, missed the second (Hey! The Shield was on!).

Good stuff, presented without comentary. Not a "reality show", but reality.

nrc
01-11-06, 07:25 PM
I think it's listed as "Frontline" since I have a Tivo Season Pass for Frontline and I saw it recording last night.

trish
01-11-06, 07:54 PM
Looks like I'll be able to catch it tonight at 9.

racer2c
01-11-06, 09:33 PM
The first episode was better than the second IMO. In the first, the two boys seemed full of angst and you saw the disfuntional lives of the one boy who lived in a broken down trailer with his alcholic dad and the other boy who's father killed his mother and then shot himself.

In the second episode, it was more just "I don't want to go to school today". I'm watching tonight just because I've watched the first four hours, I might as well finish it.

If you haven't seen Sutherlands "the Farmers Wife" and like the 'no commentary' documentary style, it's a must see. Captivating.