PDA

View Full Version : Start Your Mullet! The Return of the Camaro!

racer2c
01-10-06, 09:15 PM
This week Chevy debuted a concept of what may become the new Camaro. Retro in design ala the Mustang and recent Dodge Challenger concept.

While I was never a real fan of the Camaro ( I hate GM), I did have a 69 Z28 and a 71 (350) in high school.

the new Camaro Concept. the retro Mustang is selling strong and essentially killed the last F-body (thank god), so returning to the cars of yester-year is probably not a bad idea. I'm not anti-retro even as tired as it gets these days. the last few F-bodies were so fugly that they don't even stand up to two years gone.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/09/Autos/funonwheels/detroit_camaro_concept/chevrolet_camaro.03.jpg

Here is the latest Dodge Challenger concept which is rumored to be hitting the production line.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/04/Autos/funonwheels/dodge_challenger/dodge_challenger.03.jpg

The very bumpy, deceased Firebird.

http://www.pfyc.com/cotm/fb/15-bjackson.jpg

Sean O'Gorman
01-10-06, 09:21 PM
Those are cool and all, but shouldn't GM be concentrating on cars that most people actually WILL be buying, instead of those they dream about buying?

Stu
01-10-06, 09:25 PM
Those are cool and all, but shouldn't GM be concentrating on cars that most people actually WILL be buying, instead of those they dream about buying?

oh but they can buy them once they roll out with Super Red Tag Employee Pricing with 0% financing and 10,000 dollars cash back.

Rob
01-10-06, 09:33 PM
I really like that Camaro. It's got a lot of the '67-'69 Camaro in it, but the forms are new and fresh. The Challenger, on the other hand, is way too similar to the early '70s cars for my tastes. I like retro with innovation, not a direct rehash of what's been done before.

nrc
01-10-06, 09:38 PM
The reason the Mustang has hung around while the Camaro disappeared is that it has always had models that were practical to own and drive. Some purists hate it, but that's the way it's always been.

If GM builds a Camaro that seats 2.5 adults and has no trunk space it will fizzle out again once the styling wears off.

racer2c
01-10-06, 09:45 PM

If I were the design lead for GM I would have pushed my team to design the Camaro for the future. A small, lightweight, four cam V6 or small cid v8, like maybe a 4.0 liter that revs high, shifts great, handles like a dream and a sleek, but tough look. Something that looked like a cross between the last gen RX7 and the new 350 ZX.

I blame the Mustang. it's all demographics. More people in their 30's buy Mustangs than 20 year olds cuz they always wanted one when they were in high school. Now we're all well fed and rich and can afford two giant SUV's and a new Mustang. Ford knows this and that is why they design around the retro look. I'll take a new 350ZX any day. the last year of the Camaro, the Mustang was outselling it 5 to 1. Why? IMO, it's because the Fbodies didn't look like the cars folks had or wanted in high school, the Mustang did/does. Nostalgia sells.

So, yes, I agree Sean, while they are 'coolish' in a way, it's still static (if not backwards) thinking buy the big 3. Notice how similar their concepts are?

Stu
01-10-06, 10:20 PM
oh but they can buy them once they roll out with Super Red Tag Employee Pricing with 0% financing and 10,000 dollars cash back.

speaking of which:

GM plans to cut prices on 57 models. (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,181210,00.html)

tllips
01-10-06, 10:56 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/09/Autos/funonwheels/detroit_camaro_concept/chevrolet_camaro.03.jpg

I think the Camero looks like someone stepped on a Mustang. :saywhat:

Wabbit
01-11-06, 11:38 AM

When I could finally afford a Camaro, it was discontinued before I could get one. The wife and I had already agreed it would be my next car. :cry:

Ankf00
01-11-06, 12:04 PM
werd, yo.

NismoZ
01-11-06, 01:12 PM
All this just reminds me that in the last 48 years I have only missed 2 racing seasons, '69 and '70. Mark, Sam, Swede, Dan'l, Rufus, Hall...! Two of the best Trans Ams ever. Big hole in the picture albums! Now, if we could crank up an Aussie V-8 style Trans Am series staring these 3 cars? (Chev/Ford/Dodge) I'd go watch!

Wheel-Nut
01-11-06, 01:34 PM
If the Big 3 want to see sales go through the roof . . . put these three cars (BODY STYLES) on the track at Daytona next year. Put the STOCK back in NASCAR . . .

oddlycalm
01-11-06, 04:08 PM
The reasons why the Mustang is selling well is that it has no direct competition and Ford has evolved the product to a level where it meets the expectations of the market. It's a nice niche if you have 100% of it, but not if you have 20% of it as a new Camaro likely would once it finally arrived. If it was me I would not greenlight a Camaro that consisted of yet another trip to that tired corporate parts bin with retro sheet metal that misses the timing of the market by years.

DCX will probably build the Challenger because they can. Their product cycle is short enough to catch the market wave and their product development overhead is low enough to make a niche product profitable. Having the shortest and lowest cost design/development cycle in the business is an investment that continues to pay off.

oc

stroker
01-11-06, 04:46 PM
The Challenger will just be a Charger with a different body on it, I'm sure.

The Camaro will probably be a GTO with a different body on it, I'm sure.

Some things never change.

:shakehead

racer2c
01-11-06, 09:48 PM
The Challenger will just be a Charger with a different body on it, I'm sure.

The Camaro will probably be a GTO with a different body on it, I'm sure.

Some things never change.

:shakehead

And the GTO is a fifteen year old Holden and the Hummer H2 is a Chevy Pickup. :)

Ankf00
01-11-06, 09:51 PM
And the GTO is a fifteen Holden and the Hummer H2 is a Chevy Pickup. :)

interestingly enough, both rides are hideous :)

Cam
01-11-06, 11:37 PM
And the GTO is a fifteen year old Holden and the Hummer H2 is a Chevy Pickup. :)

Nuttin wrong with a Holden!!! You tryin to pick a fight? ;)

ChampcarShark
01-13-06, 01:06 PM
If the Big 3 want to see sales go through the roof . . . put these three cars (BODY STYLES) on the track at Daytona next year. Put the STOCK back in NASCAR . . .

You Mean IROC racing.

It would be nice to see them all at the Daytona 24 Hrs. Good PR

Wheel-Nut
01-13-06, 01:31 PM
You Mean IROC racing.

It would be nice to see them all at the Daytona 24 Hrs. Good PR

I don't think enough eyeballs see IROC.

No, I mean line up 43 of 'em and let 'em go. Just like in the days before common body templates, hell, even before that. Back when you DROVE your race car to the track, raced it, drove it home and took the kids to school in it the next day!

oddlycalm
01-13-06, 03:26 PM
Nuttin wrong with a Holden!!! You tryin to pick a fight? ;) Seriously, GM would be doing itself a favor if they just went ahead and made lefthand drive versions of the Holden range for North America and didn't re-style them into something hideous. Holden is hostage to the same GM parts bin, but they somehow don't feel compelled to make butt ugly cars.

oc

Cam
01-13-06, 04:17 PM
Seriously, GM would be doing itself a favor if they just went ahead and made lefthand drive versions of the Holden range for North America and didn't re-style them into something hideous. Holden is hostage to the same GM parts bin, but they somehow don't feel compelled to make butt ugly cars.

oc

The Commodore is a good looking set of wheels. That would be cool if they did, but I really want them to import the U Beaut Ute!!! :D

http://www.pccruisers.com/Ute_History_small.jpg

ChampcarShark
01-13-06, 06:28 PM
No, I mean line up 43 of 'em and let 'em go. Just like in the days before common body templates, hell, even before that. Back when you DROVE your race car to the track, raced it, drove it home and took the kids to school in it the next day!

You are right, the new generation does'n have a clue what IROC means.

It would be nice if racing got back to its roots

Sean O'Gorman
01-13-06, 07:25 PM
You are right, the new generation does'n have a clue what IROC means.

Doesn't it mean Italian Retard Out Cruising?

nrc
01-15-06, 02:03 AM

Imagine that. Check out this video of GM designers working on the Camaro display model. What's that car in the background. :)

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/2005/media/naias06.camaro.wmv

Hard Driver
01-15-06, 05:11 AM
http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2006_detroit/chevy/camaro/pages/01.htm

Sorry, but I think that Camaro front end is fugly. And the only reason I can see for the "retro" styling is that they can't think of anything new.

The last Camaro was not bad looking, I looked at one. But the design was really bad. It was a rather large car and a Miata probably had more praticality.