PDA

View Full Version : Has Newman-Haas dropped the ball?

molive
03-24-03, 12:56 PM
I've no doubt that Bourdais is a very good driver, and Bruno has already proven he's one of the top guns of CART.

BUT.

That's 2 races in which Players/Tracy have walked away with a rather easy-looking win. So, I wonder, what (if anything) has happened to NH? Is it them who are slipping away, or has Player/PT raised their game?

:confused:

pchall
03-24-03, 01:14 PM
Yes.

They have "out-smarted" themselves twice trying to protect their hot rookie in the pitstop sequence.

And they have just left Bruno out to dry...

Some teams just make their own bad luck and N-H 2003 is one of them.

JLMannin
03-24-03, 06:28 PM
Weight limit = car + driver

This is the formula that explains PT roaring success. And it is why, IMO, daMatta was untouchable last year. He was the lightest guy out there.

The Players team also is not distracted by Marion County Speedway. I'm not convinced that N/H can say the same.

Fenster
03-25-03, 04:23 AM
Well... if Bourdais would have kept it together and N-H would have gotten their pitstops right, I don't think anyone would have had much for him. PT has been quick... and not to take anything away from him, he's driven beautifully... but I am not sure he'd have won these two races had Bourdais not befallen such bad luck (created by himself or not).

JLMannin... I am not sure what you mean by a weight issue. Are you saying that PT's weight loss has something to do with his speed? I think that he is about at a weight similar to the rest of the drivers now, maybe even bigger than most of the smaller guys... so what advantage does that pose?

I do, however, think that his weight loss and seemingly new dedication to fitness, etc. has played a role in his performance... but it has nothing to do with lowering the weight of his car. I think it has had more to do with the mental and physical condition benefits that fitness brings to any person.

I see him biking the track for many miles during race weekend. Flying around all decked out in bike gear, working out, studying the track. You have to give it to the guy... he's showing some dedication... maybe it's paying off on the track.

But you can count on N-H getting it straight real quickly. And when they do, look out... Bourdais will be tough to beat.

Just my opinon.

--Fenster.

mapguy
03-25-03, 07:44 AM
Fenster-

What Mr. Mannin means is that until this year the minimum weight was for the car only. I read somewhere (I can't remember where.) that 10 pounds equates to approximately one tenth of a second per lap on a road/street course. Therefore the bigger guys, like Tracy, Papis and Vasser were already at a disadvantage against the featherweights like daMatta and Kanaan. Last season Tracy outweighed daMatta by 50lbs. That is a half a second per lap he was giving up to daMatta.

Well... if Bourdais would have kept it together and N-H would have gotten their pitstops right

As Keke Rosberg would say "If my Aunt had balls she would be my Uncle."

I don't think anyone would have had much for him. PT has been quick... and not to take anything away from him, he's driven beautifully... but I am not sure he'd have won these two races had Bourdais not befallen such bad luck

All Bourdais has done is stay about 1 second ahead of PT for about 15 laps. If he can do that without him or the team stepping on thier *****s and resisting Tracy attacking for an entire race then I'll be impressed.

Don't get me wrong. He's quick. But he chokes when he gets behind.

WickerBill
03-25-03, 07:49 AM
I don't think he chokes when behind as much as he simply isn't accustomed to driving one of these cars in traffic. That's why I wonder how long it would take a veteran to get by him once they started encountering the Hiro end of the field to lap them.

mapguy
03-25-03, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by WickerBill
That's why I wonder how long it would take a veteran to get by him once they started encountering the Hiro end of the field to lap them.

Great point Boss.

molive
03-25-03, 10:11 AM
LB isn't an easy track to pass, lots of traffic means real pressure on rookies. I expect Bruno to raise his game and challenge Tracy. Bourdais will have another learning day...:)

KobySon
03-25-03, 10:45 AM
I remember that Montoya was a rookie at long beach. I seem to recall him making it look easy.

RaceGrrl
03-25-03, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Fenster
Well... if Bourdais would have kept it together and N-H would have gotten their pitstops right, I don't think anyone would have had much for him. PT has been quick... and not to take anything away from him, he's driven beautifully... but I am not sure he'd have won these two races had Bourdais not befallen such bad luck (created by himself or not).

But you can count on N-H getting it straight real quickly. And when they do, look out... Bourdais will be tough to beat.

I think you're spot on. Once he gets past his rookie jitters and settles in, he'll be tough. It doesn't help that he's been screwed on pit strategy both races so far.

cart7
03-25-03, 11:09 AM
originally posted by Wickerbill

I don't think he chokes when behind as much as he simply isn't accustomed to driving one of these cars in traffic. That's why I wonder how long it would take a veteran to get by him once they started encountering the Hiro end of the field to lap them.

After watching him in F3000 over the winter, he seemed to be fast if alone at the front or not in traffic. When pressed, he could be pushed to mistakes. JMO though.;)

Personally, I thought "Up in smoke" Enge or Pantano would have been better choices to bring into Cart.

rabbit
03-25-03, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by KobySon
I remember that Montoya was a rookie at long beach. I seem to recall him making it look easy. Montoya is Montoya. Bourdais is good, but I don't think we'll see another rookie like Montoya for a long, long time.

eric1
03-25-03, 05:47 PM
Bourdais had a problem with his radio that is why he missed his pit stop. Now for hitting the wall..........