01-10-06, 01:55 PM
Interesting take on the rear wing.

http://images.f1racing.net/large/54558.jpg

http://images.f1racing.net/large/54541.jpg

http://images.f1racing.net/large/54536.jpg

pchall
01-10-06, 03:06 PM
Interesting take on the rear wing.

Yup. The anhedral suggests that they find the airflow around and off the airbox a bit too turbulent while the outboard sections get cleaner and better flow down lower.

If Max had a brain there would be a flat span rule for wings.

Ruok
01-10-06, 04:32 PM
In the head-on shot it makes for a certain symmetry with the front wing, kinda nice in a way.

A friend had the opportunity to visit their r&d near Oxford a couple of weeks ago, got a personal tour. Lots of interesting things to see and report, but did not get to see any aero. For what it's worth, they told him they were currently only 8-10 bhp behind where they were last year.

Cam
01-10-06, 05:31 PM
For what it's worth, they told him they were currently only 8-10 bhp behind where they were last year.

So much for MM's theories on slowing them down and reducing costs. What a maroon! :shakehead

oddlycalm
01-10-06, 09:49 PM
If Max had a brain there would be..... :D Exactly. If Max had a brain he would have left things alone and saved teams a serious fortune into the bargain. The next time he stands up and announces F1 is going to save money by having the teams build all new cars and engines it would fittin if the teams all told him to piss off.

oc

Hard Driver
01-11-06, 10:31 PM
Interesting how the sidepod air intakes are so contoured. Looks like their computer aero modeling was working overtime since last year.

Dirty Sanchez
01-12-06, 11:34 AM
For what it's worth, they told him they were currently only 8-10 bhp behind where they were last year.impossible. that would be less than a 1% decrease in power. I'm hearing closer to 750bhp for the most powerful V8s (initially). reliability is a big question mark.

the STR cosworth V-10 is rev-limited @16,700rpm... with a 77mm air restrictor. that's closer to a 15-20% reduction. the whole STR thing is going to be interesting. the FIA should've closed that loophole the moment Minardi was sold to Mateschitz.

B3RACER1a
01-12-06, 02:16 PM
I can see 80-100 hp down, but 8-10? Dang! Hope its true, but seems a bit far fetched. Hope its true!

Ruok
01-13-06, 09:50 AM
I can see 80-100 hp down, but 8-10? Dang! Hope its true, but seems a bit far fetched. Hope its true!

Yeah, I think something was lost in the translation there. My assumption was what was said was 8-10 per cylinder. I guess we will know (sort of) shortly.

One interesting bit: he said they had 7 of those laser/resin modelers. I am not certain what they are called, you know they make a 3D resin model a fractional layer at a time. These are running 24/7 pumping out prototype parts. In fact he said the facility is running not too far from that. He stopped in late on a Sunday and it was all activity.

oddlycalm
01-13-06, 04:52 PM
One interesting bit: he said they had 7 of those laser/resin modelers. I am not certain what they are called Stereo Lithography machines. There are two major types, SLA and SLS. As I recall the SLS process uses powdered resin and the SLA process liquid.

oc

Michaelhatesfans
01-14-06, 01:12 AM
Stereo Lithography machines. There are two major types, SLA and SLS. As I recall the SLS process uses powdered resin and the SLA process liquid.

oc
You're good. :eek:

Dirty Sanchez
01-14-06, 09:38 PM
Toyota confident lap times will drop
Sat 14 Jan, 4:36 PM

The introduction of 2.4-litre V8 engines is of course the major technical novelty facing Panasonic Toyota Racing in 2006. The change represented a major challenge for Luca Marmorini and his team, but aside from the V10 to V8 switch, there have been other notable alterations and stipulations in the engine regulations for 2006.

The FIA now require as mandatory the adoption of a 90-degree vee angle, as well as a minimum weight of 95kg. With other specifications also concretely fixed, it’s the first time that engine designers have been so restricted in terms of engine development.

Mike Gascoyne does not believe the switch to V8 engines will negate overall lap times in the long-term: “Needless to say the cars will have less power and we expect to see lap times in the region of two seconds slower,” he says, “but there will be softer rubber and the usual pace of car development, which will see this deficit reduced all the time. Will someone actually go quicker than they did last year? In some places they will probably come close even with a V8 engine.”

The change of engine has of course had a major impact on the chassis side – for example, it is 10cms shorter and has different cooling requirements – but it has had other wide reaching effects on the way the TF106 (and its tyres) have been developed.

“We have roughly 200bhp less, so it’s a massive difference in terms of energy input into the rear tyres,” says Pascal Vasselon. “It’s a massive difference as well in terms of top speed, so for sure the development of compounds and aero efficiency is affected. If you want to simplify it, apart from the engine, the performance of the car is mainly about the combination and correct usage of two maps: the aerodynamic map and the tyre map.”

Opposite Lock
01-14-06, 09:47 PM
"Condensed."

Dirty Sanchez
01-23-06, 01:28 PM
"The challenge with a brand new F1 car is the same every year, but nevertheless there were even more intensive tasks to be dealt with this year than ever before," admitted Mercedes motorsport director Norbert Haug. "The regulations require new V8 engines with a 2.4-liter capacity, and in addition to this the need to compensate for the restriction of the aerodynamics, this took a lot of time and effort.

"The power reduction by more than 150hp put additional strain on the aerodynamic concept. The aim was to further reduce drag and maintain or even increase downforce – which with the given limitations reminded the technicians that it is possible to achieve the impossible."

Gomerbilly
01-27-06, 02:35 AM
I think it's interesting that McLaren and Renault have taken similar design directions (narrow nose, highly sculpted side pods, etc.) while everyone else has taken a more conventional approach (visually at least). Consequently, they have been the fastest cars recently. It will be interesting to see if they lead again this season.

pchall
01-27-06, 12:08 PM
Interesting how the sidepod air intakes are so contoured. Looks like their computer aero modeling was working overtime since last year.

Fugliest sidepods in F1 ever?

cameraman
01-27-06, 02:10 PM
Fugliest sidepods in F1 ever?

Go review the Honda photos :rolleyes:

It is a strong competition for the fugliest title.

Rocketdoc
01-27-06, 09:30 PM
Yup. The anhedral suggests that they find the airflow around and off the airbox a bit too turbulent while the outboard sections get cleaner and better flow down lower.

If Max had a brain there would be a flat span rule for wings.

It could be that they want the "streamlines", or the air separation points to be equal across the wing. The airbox separates a pretty sizable air mass, but it also "lifts" it as it exits the airbox sideplane.

Or not.

BTW, I've never had explained to me what those semi-vertical dorsal or winglets outboard of the mirrors are for.

It would seem to be for air control over...what?

Rocketdoc
01-27-06, 09:35 PM
So much for MM's theories on slowing them down and reducing costs. What a maroon! :shakehead

I believe that they will have split the rear wing into two parts, each right behind the rear wheels next year, in the interest of reducing rear downforce (crappy, turbulent air off a spinning wheel) and more importantly, allow a higher pressure area immediately behind the leading car, for passing opportunities.

NismoZ
01-31-06, 01:59 PM
Saw a rear view from slightly above showing the wings/flaps/etc. clearly. Anyone else come across that? Can't remember where. Post it if you can, we should all see it. Strangest things I've ever seen on a race car. No longer will we read words like "clean" or "sleek" in describing a new F-1 car. But, if it works...?

chop456
01-31-06, 02:32 PM
http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/photos/2006/index_team-renault_01.shtml

Cam
01-31-06, 02:36 PM
http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/photos/2006/index_team-renault_01.shtml

:eek: Looks like a bowl of noodles exploded! :saywhat:

NismoZ
01-31-06, 03:53 PM
YES! That's it...feel the need to wear body armor just walking near it! Kinda like that guy who tried to take Ben-Hur out!

FTG
01-31-06, 06:26 PM
http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/photos/2006/team-renault/diapo_123.jpg

cameraman
01-31-06, 06:49 PM
You would think the the diecast model pattern makers would be ready to slit their wrists right about now :eek: