PDA

View Full Version : Aussie motorcyclist killed in Dakar...

devilmaster
01-10-06, 03:16 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=150074

Australian motorcyclist Andy Caldecott was killed during Monday's ninth stage when he crashed his KTM motorbike after about 250 kilometres of the 599-kilometre stage from Nouakchott to Kiffa in Mauritania.

Caldecott, 41, became the 23rd competitor to die in the history of the rally. He was married with one child.

Kiwifan
01-10-06, 04:50 AM
Saw that tonight, so sad. There was quite a segment on the National sports news with the announcers giving their sympathy.

Russell.

Anteater
01-10-06, 08:39 PM
Very sad to learn this. :( While watching a recording of the Dakar Rally show last night, my husband and I discussed how insanely dangerous the race is, and how brave (or crazy) the competitors are. Thoughts and prayers for Andy Caldecott's family and friends.

NismoZ
01-10-06, 10:24 PM
Just curious...that's 23 fatalities in how many years? (how many on motorcycles?)

Anteater
01-11-06, 10:20 AM
The first race was in 1979, so if it was run every year, that's 23 deaths in 27 years. I don't know about the number of motorcyclist deaths, just that 2 died last year alone. :(

emjaya
01-11-06, 09:58 PM
Real number of deaths is about 45,apparently.

Sad about Andy. :(

chop456
01-14-06, 04:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?series=others&id=2292145

Ziggy
01-14-06, 07:54 PM
May I suggest that when somebody in this form of racing does something good, you post about that as well. :thumdown:

thoughts and prayers

jonovision_man
01-14-06, 09:21 PM
May I suggest that when somebody in this form of racing does something good, you post about that as well. :thumdown:

C'mon Ziggy, Dakar is a death wish.

It's a facinating race, but let's not pretend that the fatalities aren't the story. Year in and year out, same damn thing.

Anyone who takes issue with IRL safety should have a much bigger bone to pick when it comes to Dakar!

jono

NismoZ
01-14-06, 10:12 PM
Huh. ANOTHER little kid killed. Last stage to go untimed. I'm out.

trish
01-14-06, 10:47 PM
Huh. ANOTHER little kid killed. Last stage to go untimed. I'm out.
Another? :(

RichK
01-15-06, 01:32 AM
C'mon Ziggy, Dakar is a death wish.

jono

That's what the Swiss said about grand prix racing when they banned the sport in their country.

Dakar is one of the true forms of motorsport left on the planet, and calling it a "death wish" simply shows the comparison with modern "sport" that is cleansed of danger and adventure.

Soon enough, these "death wish" sports will be erased from the Earth & those who would save us from ourselves can sit back on their safe sofa and feel better.

jonovision_man
01-15-06, 01:33 AM
That's what the Swiss said about grand prix racing when they banned the sport in their country.

Dakar is one of the true forms of motorsport left on the planet, and calling it a "death wish" simply shows the comparison with modern "sport" that is cleansed of danger and adventure.

Soon enough, these "death wish" sports will be erased from the Earth & those who would save us from ourselves can sit back on their safe sofa and feel better.

Competitors accept the risks, but kids getting mowed down? Completely unacceptable. :thumdown:

jono

RTKar
01-15-06, 11:36 AM
OLN had some coverage of the race. It was pretty cool. I'd always known about the rally but never really paid attention. After seeing the coverage, you realize what a gruelling race it is. The one thing that struck me was "lapped traffic", motorcycles being overtaken by cars. With the dust and terrain it looked very treacherous. One of the car drivers commented on that aspect of the event.

RichK
01-15-06, 02:03 PM
Competitors accept the risks, but kids getting mowed down? Completely unacceptable. :thumdown:

jono

"Unacceptable" implies that it should be prevented, and since it's a practical impossibility to make Dakar safe for onlookers who cross in front of the race, I assume you suggest Dakar be stopped forever?

jonovision_man
01-15-06, 02:16 PM
"Unacceptable" implies that it should be prevented, and since it's a practical impossibility to make Dakar safe for onlookers who cross in front of the race, I assume you suggest Dakar be stopped forever?

Some of the participants disagree with you. Quick google found:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/motorsport/dakar-safety-under-review-after-childs-death/2006/01/14/1137118997949.html

"The Guinea authorities did what was necessary but they can't put a policeman at every metre of the race," said Kalmanovitz.

Diallo became the ninth spectator of the Dakar Rally to die, the first fatality occuring ten years ago, also in Guinea.

"In the future, it could be necessary, if possible, to have stages in countries where villages are not crossed. In Guinea, this seemed difficult to me," 1993 champion Bruno Saby, the 1993 champion.

"The stages in the desert in Mauritania are less dangerous than those in the bush or in villages," added Dominique Serieys, the head of the Mitsubishi team.

It would be a shame to lose the entire event, it's incredible, but it's become a body count every year. But sounds like they could at least mitigate the danger by moving portions of the course so they don't run through villages. I mean look at that picture...

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/01/14/dakar_narrowweb__300x360,0.jpg

jono

oddlycalm
01-15-06, 04:11 PM
The race has now claimed 48 lives, including eight children, 23 competitors and the founder of the rallye Thierry Sabine, in its 28-year history. Very sorry to see Andy Caldecott perish. He was a very tough competitor.

Ultimately, I feel like it's important to have challenges like the Dakar Rallye, but I'd like to see danger to non-participants minimized. The Isle Of Man and other events that are dangerous to competitors are able to survive, even if they aren't understood by most and labeled bloodsports, becayse they don't endanger bystanders. If there are areas where you can't control the locals, don't go there.

The tribal villages areas of Guinea are particularly hazardous and should probably be dropped from the Dakar Rallye. The government wants the money the rallye brings, but if they are unable to keep the kids from running out in front of vehicles, those stages would be better left out.

oc

RichK
01-15-06, 06:30 PM
Some of the participants disagree with you. Quick google found:

They don't disagree with me at all. I'm all for minimizing the opportunity for bystanders to be harmed.