PDA

View Full Version : Hemelgarn loses EtOH and Dana to Rahal

cameraman
01-07-06, 12:36 PM
Doesn't this leave Hemelgarn sponsor/driver-less?

Paul Dana and officials of the Ethanol fuel sponsorship program are in discussions with Rahal Letterman Racing, which employs Patrick and Buddy Rice in the IRL. Dana, who drove for Hemelgarn Racing under the Ethanol banner last year, is optimistic details will be finalized next week. "I cannot comment on that at this time, but if you want to reference the fact that changing teams is highly likely, you wouldn't be wrong," Dana, 30, said Friday.

The really sad thing is the story starts out with the words "Danica Patrick..." :shakehead

Indy Star (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060107/SPORTS01/601070461/1052)

cart7
01-07-06, 08:40 PM
Hello? Key Liquidators? This is Ron Hemelgarn, former IRL team owner. Are you still offering those group rates to ex-IRL teams? Can you squeeze me in after Panther? You can call me on my cell for a couple more days but Ethanol is paying the bill for that so I'm not sure how much longer this number will be good.. Let me know soon.

Ron.

Ziggy
01-07-06, 10:39 PM
Since when did Hellagarner even have a legit race team? Their building has been full of wrecked exotic cars for the past 14 months or so..........

guess that deal got held up in court as well :thumbup: :D

FailureByDesign
01-07-06, 11:15 PM
I would trust that guy with a toy hot wheels let alone a car he can drive with other people on the track.

Fio1
01-07-06, 11:58 PM
Are there any original IRL team left other then Foyt, or are they all ex-cart teams? :shakehead

cart7
01-08-06, 07:40 AM
Are there any original IRL team left other then Foyt, or are they all ex-cart teams? :shakehead

Technically, Foyt was an ex-CART team as well as Hemelgarn, both of whom crossed over in 1996. Only Stepson racing would be considered an IRL team and I'm not sure you can even consider that a team.

CART T. Katz
01-08-06, 11:38 AM
and wasn't that team originally patrick racing? if it was, then there are NO irl teams left, only ex-CART teams.

extramundane
01-08-06, 09:55 PM
Technically, Foyt was an ex-CART team as well as Hemelgarn, both of whom crossed over in 1996.

I wouldn't consider Hemelgarn a "former CART team." They were primarily an Indy-only team that would only turn up at other events if there wa$ a compelling rea$on.

Lizzerd
01-09-06, 12:29 AM
Doesn't this leave Hemelgarn sponsor/driver-less?

The really sad thing is the story starts out with the words "Danica Patrick..." :shakehead

Indy Star (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060107/SPORTS01/601070461/1052)

Danica, Danica, Danica... Geez... Even in the off season those retards want to give her the 16th minute of fame. Her 15 are over and done with.

Marco will be the media sensation of '06, and Danica will just be another woman driver.

Re Hemelgarn: Yep, as extramundane says, Big Ron was a CART wannabe and Indy regular. But let's not forget Buddy Lazier's heroic victory for the legendary team owner in the inaugural irl500 in '96.

theunions
01-09-06, 01:15 AM
and wasn't that team originally patrick racing?

Actually Kelley, which dated back to 1998 (1997 if you count Kelley Automotive sponsoring PDM).

As for Hemelgarn, Ron was a full season CART operation, often with healthy sponsorship, from the time he bought out Primus in 1985 to 1989.

Wheel-Nut
01-09-06, 11:08 AM
First Bank of Indiana: Hello, this is First Bank of Indiana . . . . Oh good morning Mr. George . . . . sure, we'll send those additional checks out right away.

TKGAngel
01-09-06, 11:17 AM
So if the IRL is now comprised totally of former CART teams, can we assume that in 10 years Champcar will now contain those same teams?

RichK
01-09-06, 01:14 PM
This deal speaks volumes about the health of the IRL. The top teams are now officially scraping the bottom of the barrel for money.

Spicoli
01-09-06, 02:27 PM
So if the IRL is now comprised totally of former CART teams, can we assume that in 10 years Champcar will now contain those same teams?

Nope. Evidently KK is well aware of the mistakes maken by CART pre-2003... every single one of those teams is getting factory support, and everyone in the sport knows it. The only exception may be Vi$ion$, and maybe Foyters. TG writes the checks for both of those.

I think CCWS has the clearrer vision, pardon the pun. yopu really think Ganasty, Rahole, Pimpske and Fernandeth will be welcomed back? Not on your life. They can't find sponsorships.

IlliniRacer
01-09-06, 07:45 PM
I need a little help with my math:

3 (Rahal) + 2 (Penske) + 5 (Andretti) + 2 (Ganassi) + 1 (Vision) = 33

It is 33 isn't it?

Wheel-Nut
01-09-06, 07:49 PM
I need a little help with my math:

3 (Rahal) + 2 (Penske) + 5 (Andretti) + 2 (Ganassi) + 1 (Vision) = 33

It is 33 isn't it?

You forgot Team OneOffs +20

DagoFast
01-09-06, 09:14 PM
You forgot Team OneOffs +20

You mean Roger Rager found a honda school bus engine? Kewl. +19!

Jervis Tetch 1
01-11-06, 03:20 PM
Lost in all this is that Paul Dana is one of the biggest wankers as a driver since Scott Mayer.

cameraman
01-23-06, 05:12 PM
But he is a signed, long term wanker now.

Rahal Letterman Racing confirmed this Monday that it will remain a three-car operation for the 2006 IRL IndyCar Series season, with American Paul Dana joining team regulars Buddy Rice and Danica Patrick in the Ethanol-backed No.17 Panoz-Honda.

A multiyear deal with Rahal/Letterman.

Team owner Bobby Rahal outlined the importance of the new multi-year Ethanol sponsorship, as the IndyCar Series gets ready to be fully powered by the renewable fuel beginning in 2007.

trauma1
01-23-06, 05:22 PM
But he is a signed, long term wanker now.

A multiyear deal with Rahal/Letterman.

yeah right ,FBR will bail after this year :rofl:

cameraman
01-23-06, 05:32 PM
If someone is willing to pay him to be there in 2007, Rahal will be there in 2007. The man has never met a pile of cash he didn't like.

Easy
01-24-06, 11:01 AM
Paul Dana will however have the second most career car race wins of the RLR driver line-up...