PDA

View Full Version : FAF to GAARA

trauma1
01-04-06, 04:17 PM
bring the tomotoes to LB and welcome the POS, he's doen with earl, no aguri, they are taking thier yen to F1, adn Delphi is not giving out any $$

Lowe’s Fernández Racing to Compete for 2006 Rolex Series Championship"
Adrián Fernández and Mario Haberfeld to Pilot No. 12 Lowe’s Pontiac Riley
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (January 4, 06) – Lowe’s and Fernández Racing today announced the creation of Lowe’s Fernández Racing which will field the No. 12 Lowe’s Fernandez Racing Pontiac Riley Daytona Prototype for drivers Adrián Fernández and Mario Haberfeld in the 14-race Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series in 2006.

The team begins testing on Thursday at Daytona International Speedway in preparation for the 44th running of the Rolex 24 At Daytona. Delphi Fernández Racing’s Indy Racing League driver Scott Sharp, a former Rolex 24 winner, will join Fernández and Haberfeld in their quest to win North America’s premier endurance race.

“This is exciting for all of us,” Fernández said. “I am honored that I can continue my relationship with Lowe’s and build something new with them in Grand American. Last year, we established the foundation of our relationship in NASCAR and now we will build something new together in the Rolex Sports Car Series.”

Fernández, 42, a Mexico City native who now resides in Phoenix, made his mark as an open-wheel star through a 12-year career at the top levels of the sport. In 2005, he branched out to NASCAR running six races with Hendrick Motorsports in the Busch Series.

“I will race in the Mexico City Busch race in March with Hendrick Motorsports, and I think we will have a very good shot at running up front there again,” Fernández said. “I’m looking forward to that opportunity, but my main focus will be on the Rolex Series and getting the No. 12 Lowe’s Pontiac to victory lane.”

Fernández noted he sees tremendous growth potential with the Grand American Rolex Series.“Grand American Rolex Series competition is growing in popularity, and I expect it to keep growing in the coming years. I like the direction this series is headed. Hopefully we will bring a lot of new fans to the sport.”

Haberfeld, 29, a native of Sao Paulo, Brazil, and current resident of Key Biscayne, Fla., is a former British Formula 3 champion, who made his US racing debut in the Champ Car World Series contesting the 2003 and 2004 seasons. “This is an honor for me to join Adrián Fernández, who I have admired my entire driving career, along with a company like Lowe’s, whose racing involvement is so extensive,” said Haberfeld. “It gives me great confidence that this is going to be a successful team on and off the race track.”

The Lowe’s Fernandez Racing team is a new addition to Lowe’s involvement in auto racing. Lowe’s sponsors the No. 48 Nextel Cup car driven by Jimmie Johnson and the No. 5 Busch Series car driven by Kyle Busch. In addition to the Hendrick Motorsports entries, Lowe’s owns the naming rights at Lowe’s Motor Speedway near Charlotte, N.C.
“Lowe’s is proud to have Adrián back behind the wheel and to welcome Mario to Team Lowe’s Racing,” said Bob Gfeller, Lowe’s senior vice president of marketing and advertising. “Adrián’s fans, many of whom are also Lowe’s customers, have demonstrated their passion for Adrián and Lowe’s is proud to support the sport our customers care about. We look forward to supporting Adrián and this team both on and off the track.”

Fernández Racing was formed in 2000 by Fernández and motorsports veteran Tom Anderson. The team has grown to encompass the Super Aguri Fernández Racing and Delphi Fernández Racing teams, which currently contest the IndyCar Series with drivers Kosuke Matsuura and Scott Sharp respectively.

Lowe’s Fernández Racing will be based at the Fernández Racing headquarters in Indianapolis, Ind. Anderson will oversee the program as managing director, with Steve Miller as team manager, Mike Sales as chief mechanic and John Ward as race engineer.

Miller has been involved in motorsports for over 20 years in a variety of roles from mechanic to engineer and team director, and most recently served as general manager for Fernández Racing. Sales has spent the past four years at Fernández Racing in both chief mechanic and team manager roles and, as a veteran of over 33 years in the sport, brings extensive racing experience. Ward’s distinguished career as a race and design engineer dates back to the mid ‘70s, and he most recently served as race engineer with Fernández Racing in the IndyCar Series. His impressive roster of accomplishments include the design of a Daytona 24-Hour and Sebring 12-Hour race-winning chassis.

Lowe’s Fernández Racing will field a Pontiac Riley Daytona Prototype in the Rolex Series. Pontiac earned ten victories and four second-place finishes in 2005 winning their second consecutive series championship. Likewise, Riley Technologies enjoyed a dominant season securing their second consecutive Daytona Prototype constructor’s championship in 2005.

The Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series is the fastest growing auto racing class in the world, leading a resurgence of major-league road racing in North America. It is sanctioned by the Grand American Road Racing Association, which also oversees the Grand-Am Cup Series.

Television coverage of the Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series will be carried on SPEED Channel in 2006. Rolex Series races will also be distributed around the world via ESPN International, and Spanish-language broadcasts via FOX Sports Espanol.

KLang
01-04-06, 04:26 PM
I don't get the connection to Lowe’s. Are they expanding into Mexico?

trauma1
01-04-06, 04:30 PM
they provide the fencing for the border

Wheel-Nut
01-04-06, 04:46 PM

I would think it has more to with attracting Mexicans living in the U S more than expanding into Mexico. According to the last census, the population of Texas is 50% + hispanic. I guess Jimmy Johnson just doesn't have the hispanic pull that Adrian Fernandez does.

Trauma, now that's funny! :thumbup:

cameraman
01-04-06, 05:02 PM
Nice to see Mario Haberfeld finally found a ride.

It makes quite a bit of sense for Lowe's to sponsor Adrian. GARRA has a race in SLC this summer. 28% of the SLC population is Hispanic and they make up 75%+ of the construction trade around here.

Bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bl a,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla,bla

Ignore that, he is still running two cars in the IRL.

Al Czervik
01-04-06, 05:14 PM
I don't have the level of hate for AF that I do for Rahole. Fernandez was caught out by the whole CART collapse and ended up over in Tonyland because it was the only money available to him. It was either go there or close up shop. Champ Car survived undamaged without him, the same can not be said for AF's reputation. I actually feel sorry for him, FTG & Honda just used him and tossed him aside.

:saywhat: ?

trauma1
01-04-06, 05:22 PM
bet anderson hasn't missed a meal

cameraman
01-04-06, 05:28 PM
Wait a minute, is he out of the IRL or not?

I thought he was gone but a closer look at the article says they are still running Sharp & Matsuura.

Are they talking 2005 or 2006???

Turn7
01-04-06, 06:04 PM
You are not looking at the key word in that statement. "currently" means that they haven't officially closed up shop on the IRL but, if a Honda check doesn't make the mailbox by March 1, well a Mexiyen just has to do what a Mexiyen has to do and shut 'er down.

DjDrOmusic
01-04-06, 08:23 PM
Gee I wonder if anyone from the IRL has bothered to even call him yet! Wasn't that the basis for his quick exit to the IRL?? I can hear the press conference now, "we had to do what was right for our sponsor, Visit Mexico, afterall nobody from the IRL would answer any of my questions or even call me, so I decided to withdraw from the IRL and concentrate only on Grand Am, the future of motor racing in Amerixo!" :gomer: :D

fourrunner
01-04-06, 09:11 PM

LMAO !!

They must supply the Fence Cutters too, considering the number of folks that get accross every day ;)

Now that I think of it, it's a brilliant business move ! a constant cycle !!

trauma1
01-05-06, 09:14 AM
Wait a minute, is he out of the IRL or not?

I thought he was gone but a closer look at the article says they are still running Sharp & Matsuura.

Are they talking 2005 or 2006???

aguri is gone with thier $$ to F1, delphi is going bankrupt, and anderson is running to grand am team, so his earl days are over

G.
01-05-06, 12:51 PM
FWIW, I emailed the webmaster and asked if they will still be in the earl next year. The guy says yes, with Matsuur and Sharp.

FWIW.

Jervis Tetch 1
01-05-06, 12:52 PM
:rofl: :thumbup:

devilmaster
01-05-06, 12:57 PM
FWIW, I emailed the webmaster and asked if they will still be in the earl next year. The guy says yes, with Matsuur and Sharp.

FWIW.

Tony Bucks. :shakehead

trauma1
01-05-06, 01:53 PM

FWIW.
hiro is more than likey going to get the f1 ride, and aguri is not poning up $$ for FAF, they need the $$ for f1, sharp maybe indy only, with lowes help, no delphi, FAF has no $$ or sponsors to run in EARL, same thing he did when he left cart, remeber that, he bolted the week of LB and they said they had 2 cars in the cc grid, like FAF word means something

NismoZ
01-05-06, 01:58 PM
Just wondering ... given that DP numbers are now very large, running 40 of them at Daytona with other classes may still be practical, but at Long Beach? Will it be only DPs there? Maybe they should have a grid limit and "Bump Day" qualifying!

cameraman
01-05-06, 02:04 PM
The GA Long Beach race is 1.5 hour DP only.

trauma1
01-05-06, 02:04 PM
they are saving bump day for 07 when grand am car run the hundert

G.
01-05-06, 03:02 PM
Tony Bucks. :shakeheadIf that was the case, then Panther would be racing as well, right?

I'm not saying that I know what goes on in the "mind" of FTG, but I suspect the TonyBucks (tm) have dried up.

But I bet he is paying Honda...

theunions
01-05-06, 03:09 PM
FYI, Lowes IS expanding into Mexico, apparently aggressively.

Is Haberfeld bringing Liofol money?

Spicoli
01-05-06, 05:03 PM
If that was the case, then Panther would be racing as well, right?

I'm not saying that I know what goes on in the "mind" of FTG, but I suspect the TonyBucks (tm) have dried up.

But I bet he is paying Honda...

He's waitin for Mari to dry out so he can get more allowance.

NismoZ
01-05-06, 05:18 PM
The Hut Hundert or the Fi Hunnert? :confused:

Rocketdoc
01-06-06, 01:47 AM

Excellent.

Rocketdoc
01-06-06, 01:50 AM
He's waitin for Mari to dry out so he can get more allowance.

Just ain't enough years left....

Da broads' liver looks like Fallujah.