PDA

View Full Version : NFL Playoff Pick'em

WickerBill
01-01-06, 08:46 PM
Hey hey, my my, it's time for Super Bowl hopes to die....

Since we can't really make this like a March Madness bracket, we'll just have to pick one weekend at a time. No spreads, just pick winners.

NFC:
Washington (10-6) at Tampa Bay (11-5)
Carolina (11-5) at N.Y. Giants (11-5)
Weaker advancing team goes to Seattle
Stronger advancing team goes to Chicago

AFC:
Jacksonville (12-4) at New England (10-6)
Pittsburgh (11-5) at Cincinnati (11-5)
Weaker advancing team goes to Indianapolis
Stronger advancing team goes to Denver

Seriously, everyone should play. It'll be fun to tally this up at the end. Two points for wildcard games, two points for second round games, four points for championship games, and eight points for the Super Bowl. Maximum points: 8 per round, 32 total. We'll figure out a tiebreak during the Super Bowl build-up, if necessary.

rabbit
01-01-06, 08:54 PM
(my picks in bold)

NFC:

AFC:

EDwardo
01-01-06, 09:00 PM
..... It'll be fun to tally this up at the end. ....

Fun you say? Sort of like throwing rocks a t the short kid> Isn't fun for the short kid. Have fun when your team is a loser?

OK, entering fun mode.

Skins
panthers
New England
Bengals

Can I vote now for a week 2 game?
Broncos lose

I feel much better now!

Ed_Severson
01-01-06, 09:05 PM
I'll take the 'Skins, Giants, Steelers, and Pats this week.

Lizzerd
01-01-06, 09:06 PM
Washington
New Jersey

Foxboro
Pittsburgh

Sean O'Gorman
01-01-06, 09:07 PM
NFC:

Washington > Tampa Bay
Carolina > NYG

AFC:

New England > Jacksonville
Cincinnati > Pittsburgh

Actually, I think the Steelers will go further, but I want to stick to my original pick of a Bengals/Seahawks Super Bowl.

Car-B-Q
01-01-06, 09:08 PM
Tampa Bay over Washington
Carolina over New York Giants

Cincinnati over Pittsburgh
Jacksonville over New England

Cam
01-01-06, 09:30 PM
TB, NYG, Pitt, Jax. :saywhat:

nrc
01-01-06, 09:58 PM
It's big of you to act like the NFC matters. :D

Washington
Giants

Pats
Bengals

Stu
01-02-06, 09:47 AM
NFC:

AFC:

Classic Apex
01-02-06, 10:03 AM
Tampa Bay
Carolina
New England
Cincinnati

chop456
01-02-06, 10:15 AM
Bucs
Giants
Pats
Picksburgh

dando
01-02-06, 12:49 PM
Bucs, Gints, Pats, BenGals. Most likely upset is Steelers > BenGals, but I'm going with my heart instead. :(

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
01-02-06, 01:05 PM
Carolina will take it all. WGAF about the rest.

Panthers > G-men
Skins > Bucs
Patsies > Jags
Steelers > Bungles

WickerBill
01-02-06, 01:28 PM
Carolina will take it all. WGAF about the rest.

Well since we're playing a pick'em, you either pick them all or we call you "loser" starting immediately. That's WGAF. Otherwise, find another thread to post in.

RusH
01-02-06, 01:30 PM
Bucs
Pats
Giants
Bengals

extramundane
01-02-06, 03:03 PM
Bucs
Giants
Jags
Stillers

skaven
01-03-06, 01:27 PM
Patriots
Steelers
Bucs
Panthers

racer2c
01-03-06, 02:27 PM
Washington, coming off a five game winning streak ends with a Tampa win. But Tampa isn't playing as strong as they were earlier in the year. Close game.

Carolina over the Giants.

If it wasn't in New England I'd pick the Jaguars.

I'll give the home field advantage to the Bengals too.

My winners = Tampa, Carolina, New England and Cinnci.

Don Quixote
01-03-06, 02:41 PM
Tampa Bay
Carolina

New England
Pittsburgh

Wheel-Nut
01-03-06, 02:46 PM
NFC:

AFC:

Winners in BOLD.

tllips
01-03-06, 03:00 PM
NFC:
Tampa
Carolina

AFC:
New England
Pittsburgh

Ozarkian
01-03-06, 04:18 PM
Tampa Bay
NY Giants
Jacksonville
Pittsburgh

But this is ultimately what I'm rooting for:

Broncos lose

:D

Wabbit
01-03-06, 04:47 PM
Seahawks will have their normal playoff performance.....they choke.

Al Czervik
01-03-06, 05:04 PM
'skins
Panthers
Pats
Steelers

I can't believe I just picked 3 road teams.

DjDrOmusic
01-03-06, 07:45 PM
My son is rooting for Jacksonville, he was born there. I'll take anyone but Pittsburgh!!

cartgal
01-03-06, 09:19 PM
OK, I'm in. Here's my picks:
Skins (I'm a homer -- besides, Williams just signed a 3-year exten. with us -- I'm thinking he'll be the next head coach for the Skins...)
Giants (and it's really killing me to pick them... :p )
Pats (a FLA team winning in the cold of Foxboro? nah.)
Steelers -- get on the Bus!! Last chance!

WickerBill
01-06-06, 09:54 AM
Okay, here's mine:

NFC:

AFC:

TKGAngel
01-07-06, 04:48 PM
Tampa, Carolina, New England, Cincy.

WickerBill
01-07-06, 05:35 PM
Entries are closed as of ....3....2....1.....now.

Dr. Corkski
01-07-06, 08:37 PM
Death, Taxas, and Chrissy Simms choke jobs.

Ankf00
01-07-06, 08:51 PM
Death, Taxas, and Chrissy Simms choke jobs.

yea, hitting the WR on the money in the endzone is a total choke job and that game is completely his fault :rolleyes:

where's your boy rodgers again? :gomer: probably at home bitching about Jon Gruden keeping him out of the playoffs :laugh:

Stu
01-08-06, 05:04 AM
yea, hitting the WR on the money in the endzone is a total choke job and that game is completely his fault :rolleyes:

no but throwing it 20 feet over a wide open recevier was. :D

From what I saw of the game though, Simms looked good and there are about 11 guys that are responsible for that loss.

Al Czervik
01-08-06, 11:58 AM
'skins
Panthers
Pats
Steelers

I can't believe I just picked 3 road teams.

Got Saturday right, let's see about today.

dando
01-08-06, 05:50 PM
**** me. Palmer goes down in a heap after the 2nd play from scrimmage, and it doesn't look good. :cry:

-Kevin

WickerBill
01-08-06, 05:58 PM
Pittsburgh are acting like the Miami Hurricanes -- that is, punks. Throw a flag, refs.

Dr. Corkski
01-08-06, 05:59 PM
Bye bye Eli. :laugh:

With Kitna in it's looking good for 4 for 4.

dando
01-08-06, 06:00 PM
Pittsburgh are acting like the Miami Hurricanes -- that is, punks. Throw a flag, refs.
No doubt. Should have been more than one call on the TJ hit in the end zone. Behavior like this is precisely why I prefer college foosball over pro.

-Kevin

EDwardo
01-08-06, 06:03 PM
No doubt. Should have been more than one call on the TJ hit in the end zone. Behavior like this is precisely why I prefer college foosball over pro.

-Kevin

Like VT's Vick's leg stomp last week? :rolleyes:

WickerBill
01-08-06, 06:16 PM
With Kitna in it's looking good for 4 for 4.

Kitna's no slouch. 10-love and the Steelers are all penalties right now.

Classic Apex
01-08-06, 06:27 PM

Exactly.

dando
01-08-06, 07:49 PM
My point was more about the trash talking and BS walking around like a bunch of pimps. Got it? Point to another play like Vick's this season. Right. :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
01-08-06, 07:51 PM
Bye bye Eli. :laugh:

:saywhat:

Gee, Corky lowering himself to the level of laughing @ an injury, go figger. :shakehead You must a Philly fan @ heart.

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
01-08-06, 07:57 PM
:saywhat:

Gee, Corky lowering himself to the level of laughing @ an injury, go figger. :shakehead You must a Philly fan @ heart.

-KevinWhat did Eli hurt other than his ego today? :gomer:

EDwardo
01-08-06, 08:05 PM
My point was more about the trash talking and BS walking around like a bunch of pimps. Got it? Point to another play like Vick's this season. Right. :shakehead

-Kevin

"Southern Illinois running back and "Payton Watch" member Tom Koutsos was likely lost for the season this past week, when the senior broke his wrist on the second play of an eventual 42-24 loss to Murray State. But Koutsos' injury and the scoreboard result weren't the only thing that had SIU and its supporters upset. MSU was flagged for 19 penalties in the game, and reported Sunday's Southern Illinoisan, "most of those infractions came on unsportsmanlike conduct, face masking and personal foul calls." Southern Illinois head coach Jerry Kill confronted Murray State head coach Joe Pannunzio at halftime about what he saw as dirty play, but the situation worsened. SIU tight end Ryan McAllister told the paper, "At the end of the game, it was out of control." Said Kill, "I'm not very happy about tonight. It's embarrassing to college football, and that's the only comment I have."
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/moss_archive/3rdandlong_091802.htm

" Both teams accused the other of dirty play in the rivalry game, with USC complaining about Cal's personal fouls in the fourth quarter.

"That's the best defense we've played all year, but by far the cheapest," Cal guard Aaron Merz said. "I got spit on. I make a good block, and the guy spits on me. I saw that too many times today. It's disgusting. I got poked in the eye. They had their hands in our facemasks all day."
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/gamecenter/recap/NCAAF_20051112_USC@CA

Al Czervik
01-08-06, 08:42 PM
I didn't know that people in Cincy referred to Pittsburgh as "Who Dey" :D

Perfect week 1!

WickerBill
01-08-06, 08:49 PM
XLS results after week 1, congrats to Czervik and cork, who are perfect.

New thread soon for the next round.

extramundane
01-08-06, 10:04 PM

As a VT alum, I'd like to quickly point out that Junior Mexico is not our problem anymore.

That is all.

nrc
01-09-06, 12:42 AM
Carson Palmer has at least a torn ACL and maybe a torn MCL. A couple of games ago the Bengals got a personal foul for a low hit on the quarterback even though the player was chopped into the quarterback. No harm to the QB, just kept their drive alive for a touchdown. Now a player wraps his arms around Palmer's leg and drives his shoulder into his knee, and that's not a penalty?! :mad: I thought the NFL sent their best officials to the Playoffs.

The outcome was pretty much moot after that since there's no way the Bengals were going to beat Denver without Palmer. The Bengals held up better than I expected without Palmer until that field goal screw up in the third quarter. The Colts will crush them unless they injure Manning in the first quarter.

Classic Apex
01-09-06, 12:48 AM
May I begin the next round? :D

Divisional Playoffs

Saturday, Jan. 14 (EST)
Washington at Seattle 4:30 p.m.
New England at Denver 8:00 p.m.

Sunday, Jan. 15 (EST)
Pittsburgh at Indianapolis 1:00 p.m.
Carolina at Chicago 4:30 p.m.

Seattle
New England
Indy
Chicago

Sean O'Gorman
01-09-06, 12:54 AM
If the Bengals never booted Kitna after '03 this wouldn't have happened, and they would've been in the playoffs for the second straight season.

nrc
01-09-06, 01:34 AM
If the Bengals never booted Kitna after '03 this wouldn't have happened, and they would've been in the playoffs for the second straight season.

That's just a stupid notion. Palmer was just as good as Kitna at the beginning of '04 and by the end he was much better. Kitna wasn't going to do anything that Palmer didn't do last season and he certainly wasn't going to be one of the best passers in the league as Palmer was this season.

Sean O'Gorman
01-09-06, 01:55 AM
Yeah but Kitna is more used to the adversity and futility from his years as the Bengals starter, so I think he'd perform better in the playoffs.

nrc
01-09-06, 02:08 AM
Yeah but Kitna is more used to the adversity and futility from his years as the Bengals starter, so I think he'd perform better in the playoffs.

I won't even try to warp my mind enough to understand that logic. :saywhat:

Classic Apex
01-09-06, 02:19 AM
I won't even try to warp my mind enough to understand that logic. :saywhat:

Neither will I.

Kitna more than likely won't remain a Bengal anyway...at the completion of today's game he became a free-agent.

rabbit
01-09-06, 02:24 AM
Carson Palmer has at least a torn ACL and maybe a torn MCL. A couple of games ago the Bengals got a personal foul for a low hit on the quarterback even though the player was chopped into the quarterback. No harm to the QB, just kept their drive alive for a touchdown. Now a player wraps his arms around Palmer's leg and drives his shoulder into his knee, and that's not a penalty?! :mad: I thought the NFL sent their best officials to the Playoffs.

The outcome was pretty much moot after that since there's no way the Bengals were going to beat Denver without Palmer. The Bengals held up better than I expected without Palmer until that field goal screw up in the third quarter. The Colts will crush them unless they injure Manning in the first quarter.
Several Bengals yelled at von Oelhoffen, who spent his first six seasons in Cincinnati and still counts some of the Bengals as friends.
“Guys were infuriated,” right tackle Willie Anderson said. “But I know him. He’s not a dirty player. His momentum just kept him going into Carson. It wasn’t a dirty play.”
The nose tackle explained himself on the field.
“They had every right to be upset. They lost their best player,” he said. “I hope Carson gets better. My apologies to him and his family.
“I was worried about Carson. That kid deserved to play this game.”

nrc
01-09-06, 02:49 AM
Neither will I.

Kitna more than likely won't remain a Bengal anyway...at the completion of today's game he became a free-agent.

We'll see. Kitna is a good backup but is anyone really hard-up enough to bid starting QB money for him? The Bengals have as much money under the cap as just about anyone and now with Palmer possibly out through the beginning of next season they may have just as much need.

nrc
01-09-06, 03:09 AM
I actually forgot that the case where the Bengals were penalized for a similar incident was against the Steelers.

Thursday, December 08, 2005
Ben Roethlisberger escaped another knee injury when rookie Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman hit him low in the second quarter of their game Sunday and was penalized for roughing the passer.

Roethlisberger yesterday called it a dirty hit.

"I'm looking down the field," he said, going through the play. "I threw it to Hines [Ward] early, and I saw [Thurman] coming, so I tried to let my body go limp so I could go down and not hurt my knee.

"From what I heard, he said he got pushed or tripped or something; but anytime you go low on a quarterback, you know it's a little dirty."

The pass was complete to Ward for 18 yards, and another 15 was tackled on for Thurman's personal foul.

Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis contended this week that Steelers center Jeff Hartings tripped Thurman, although he acknowledged his rookie probably would be fined for the hit by the NFL.

"In this case the penalty may not have even been warranted because the defensive player was tripped running free to the quarterback by the offensive center," Lewis said. "Maybe it should have been an offensive penalty. But, again, it was called on Odell. So that's the way it goes."
So for the Bengals a player is tripped, flys forward and hits the quarterback in the hip and slides down to his knee and that's a personal foul, but for the Steelers lunging at the quarterback's legs, wrapping his leg and putting your shoulder in his knee isn't.

Lizzerd
01-09-06, 03:32 AM
Come on, you people. I didn't see any kind of roughness or penalty on that play. The Pitt lineman (don't remember his name) was blocked, fell, and grabbed whatever he could find just as Palmer was making the pass, with planted legs. A very long pass, I might add.

Did you see the remorse he showed in a replay that was shown a couple plays later? It was a football thing.

I felt just as bad as any Bengals fan did seeing that happen, as I hope any Steelers fan would too. It would break my heart to see my QB (Peyton Manning) go down just as much as it would seeing the same as if Rothleshberger goes down the same way next Sunday. It is better to beat the other team at full strength rather than hobbled by losing a major weapon.

I feel for ya, Who Dey's. Damn shame, it is, and good luck to my neighbors to the east in '06.

Lizzerd
01-09-06, 03:36 AM

Like they said... :saywhat:

Sean O'Gorman
01-09-06, 03:46 AM
It is Sean Logic, it isn't supposed to make sense.

:p

Stu
01-09-06, 07:55 AM
You all need to understand that SOG was borderline orgasmic when he saw Carson Palmer get hurt. Don't know why, won't ever understand it, but in his mind there is no one better.

Andrew Longman
01-09-06, 11:18 AM
NY played like Gi-Aints rather than Giants. Pathetic.

Manning continued the horrible mechanics and bad decision making he showed through the second half.

The 8th string LB corp was finally exposed

And Fox out coached NY.

As I said a few weeks ago, one and done.

Not as bad as what Cinncy fans are facing. That stinks and I feel for you.

I did not see the roughing call from a few weeks ago for comparison, but as an unbiased observer, that was not roughing. A big fast man was falling down out of control due to the block put on him and he fell into Carson. And he immediately felt awful about it.

Its a tough sport.

Sean O'Gorman
01-09-06, 11:44 AM
You all need to understand that SOG was borderline orgasmic when he saw Carson Palmer get hurt. Don't know why, won't ever understand it, but in his mind there is no one better.

I was not. But I still like Kitna better than Palmer.

Insomniac
01-09-06, 12:04 PM

Not yesterday. With Kitna you lost the deep ball which is the easiest way to attack Pittsburgh. Palmer has a sweet deep ball.

rabbit
01-09-06, 12:41 PM
I remember reading that when Joe Theisman broke his leg on MNF, Harry Carson and Lawrence Taylor were leaning over him to make sure he was Ok. Theisman yelled something to the effect of, "I'll be back!"

To which LT replied, "Not tonight you won't." :laugh:

That story always cracked me up.

Dirty Sanchez
01-09-06, 01:28 PM
paper tigers :thumbup:

the fact that they were home dogs in a playoff game is all you need to know about this team :laugh: they won one game this year. I'll put money that they don't even make the playoffs next year.

regarding the hit:

Several Bengals yelled at von Oelhoffen, who spent his first six seasons in Cincinnati and still counts some of the Bengals as friends.

"Guys were infuriated," right tackle Willie Anderson said. "But I know him. He's not a dirty player. His momentum just kept him going into Carson. It wasn't a dirty play."its sucks for bengals fans, but it wasn't a cheap shot.

redskins are going to the super bowl this year. just watch. I should start betting football again. I handicapped all 4 correctly this weekend.

Tony George
01-09-06, 01:43 PM

the fact that they were home dogs in a playoff game is all you need to know about this team :laugh: they won one game this year. I'll put money that they don't even make the playoffs next year.

regarding the hit:

its sucks for bengals fans, but it wasn't a cheap shot.

redskins are going to the super bowl this year. just watch. I should start betting football again. I handicapped all 4 correctly this weekend.

They did whip those wankers from Illinois on their home field. :gomer:

Dirty Sanchez
01-09-06, 01:59 PM
that ain't saying much. the bears are the bengals of the nfc. I think carolina's going to roll this weekend :gomer:

Stu
01-09-06, 02:10 PM
They did whip those wankers from Illinois on their home field. :gomer:

Yea well the Browns beat the Bears this year, then got it together and won 6 in a row. When the Bengals played the Bears, they were a garbage team. Same with the Vikings.

The Bengals beat the bad teams they should have beaten, plus won 1 game against a good team (in Pittsburgh).

nrc
01-09-06, 02:12 PM

Gosh, that's pretty bold betting against a team whose franchise quarterback will likely be rehabbing a busted knee part-way into next season. You've got a talent for spotting a three legged dog at a dog fight.

The Steelers are a better team than the Bengals without Carson Palmer. There's a shock. :rolleyes: I don't think that's what anyone besides a few goons who happen to Steeler fans wanted to determine on Sunday.

Dirty Sanchez
01-09-06, 02:25 PM
I didn't realize palmer was a run-stopper :gomer:

Dirty Sanchez
01-09-06, 02:29 PM
I make that bet, not because of palmer's condition (its too early to say what his recovery and rehab schedule is going to be), but because the bengals won't have a powderpuff schedule next year.

skaven
01-09-06, 03:45 PM
redskins are going to the super bowl this year. just watch.

That's crazy talk... :laugh:

Dirty Sanchez
01-09-06, 03:50 PM
That's crazy talk... :laugh:perhaps. but the team is peaking and has been in playoff mode for going on two months now. they are a live dog. redskins +9 is a monster hit.

skaven
01-09-06, 03:59 PM
Someone is peaking. :gomer:

I quit watching the 'Skins after they purged all the washed up Goters... but you are right - 8 teams are left and they all have a chance. However, I wouldn't start betting again on football just yet if I were you. ;)

Insomniac
01-09-06, 06:20 PM
perhaps. but the team is peaking and has been in playoff mode for going on two months now. they are a live dog. redskins +9 is a monster hit.

I guess by peaking you mean 120 yards of offense (95 running, 25 passing).

Dirty Sanchez
01-10-06, 01:49 PM
no, by peaking I mean 6 straight wins (4 on the road and some against quality teams) and 79 points allowed = ~13 points per game.

I'll take the redskins and the points if you're feeling froggy :gomer:

Easy
01-10-06, 02:00 PM

http://www.serie-cart.com/photos/Sebastien-Bourdais.jpg

Insomniac
01-10-06, 03:18 PM
no, by peaking I mean 6 straight wins (4 on the road and some against quality teams) and 79 points allowed = ~13 points per game.

I don;t like anyone in the NFC. They're going to get beat in Detroit and that'll be the end of that.

Dirty Sanchez
01-10-06, 03:54 PM
not sure why you're quoting my post exactly. I wasn't talking about the super bowl :gomer:

Spicoli
01-10-06, 04:21 PM
My team sucks :(

You can be a Colts fan too. Just paint your face blue and grab a PBR, son!

:p

Dirty Sanchez
01-10-06, 04:28 PM
I'm not a fan, I'm an adult.

[clip - that was out of line]

Spicoli
01-10-06, 04:38 PM
I'm not a fan, I'm an adult.
[clip]

you, sir, are a mean spirited racist!

http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/album11/aag.jpg

Dirty Sanchez
01-10-06, 05:16 PM
offcamber :laugh:

Spicoli
01-10-06, 05:26 PM
offcamber :laugh:

looks like you have the attention of the moderators. :shakehead

Dirty Sanchez
01-10-06, 05:28 PM
yeah, looks I brought one out of retirement :rofl:

the stuff people decide to censor makes me laugh. but I have a feeling it has more to do with the post-er than the post :gomer:

Insomniac
01-11-06, 10:00 AM
not sure why you're quoting my post exactly. I wasn't talking about the super bowl :gomer:

Just the reason I'd never bet on an NFC team in the playoffs. They all stink and can beat each other anytime. ;)