PDA

View Full Version : NFL Week 17

WickerBill
01-01-06, 01:35 PM
Giants got their AFC East title yesterday. Broncos blasted the Bolts with scrubs in half the game.

We find out the remainder of the playoff lineup today, and starting next week, every NFL fan on this forum will be required to make picks for every playoff round.

Winner gets nothing but a few "hail hail"s and bragging rights.

Sean O'Gorman
01-01-06, 02:26 PM
Last week games with teams that have nothing or everything on the line are great. Alot more going for it on 4th down. :thumbup:

dando
01-01-06, 04:50 PM
All I'm saying is the Who Deys better git there **** together fast, or it's one and done. :shakehead I'm not liking what I've since since the Pitt W on 12/4. Thankfully they had two high school teams on the schedule the two weeks afterwards. :gomer:

-Kevin

WickerBill
01-01-06, 05:27 PM
Hello? Bengals?

spinner26
01-01-06, 05:45 PM
Thanks to the kid looking for a job, McNown, Indy won today. :rolleyes:

Even with the reserves playing, Indy should have performed better.

I remember a Broncos team who went 13 -0 lost two, won one and went through the playoffs. Could history repeat?

Stu
01-01-06, 06:47 PM
All I'm saying is the Who Deys better git there **** together fast, or it's one and done. :shakehead I'm not liking what I've since since the Pitt W on 12/4. Thankfully they had two high school teams on the schedule the two weeks afterwards. :gomer:

-Kevin

wow so if a high school team in the nfl is one that goes 6-10, then i guess there are 14 high school teams in the NFL. :rolleyes:

dando
01-01-06, 06:56 PM
wow so if a high school team in the nfl is one that goes 6-10, then i guess there are 14 high school teams in the NFL. :rolleyes:
Like I said b4, Stubeedoobeedoo...@ least the Clowns won't need to worry about a top ten draft pick to go bust. :laugh: Time to draft another Willie Green! :gomer:

Go back to watchin' the Cavs... :p

-Kevin

Stu
01-01-06, 06:58 PM
Like I said b4, Stubeedoobeedoo...@ least the Clowns won't need to worry about a top ten draft pick to go bust. :laugh: Time to draft another Willie Green! :gomer:

Go back to watchin' the Cavs... :p

-Kevin

1 good year in 15. congratulations.

spinner26
01-01-06, 07:43 PM
How bout Flutie's drop kick! :thumbup:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=1461364

nrc
01-01-06, 07:45 PM
1 good year in 15. congratulations.

The Bengals have won two Division Championships since the Browns had their last one. The Browns record over the last 15 years is really nothing to crow about.

nrc
01-01-06, 07:51 PM
How bout Flutie's drop kick! :thumbup:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=1461364

I heard about this and wondered why. This story really doesn't answer that. Was it an option, if it's open throw it if not kick it? Was it just a for, um, kicks?

A lot of people these days don't even realize that a "dropkick" is not executed the same as a punt. The ball has to hit the ground.

Stu
01-01-06, 07:54 PM
The Bengals have won two Division Championships since the Browns had their last one. The Browns record over the last 15 years is really nothing to crow about.

who is saying it is? you guys rip on the browns like you are good.

if you were steelers fans, ok, i can understand it. but seriously, 1 good year in 15. 1. not 4. not even 2. 1. and then you guys think you are hot stuff because your fans of a team that tied for the divisions best record. congrats.

oh and its funny how stats work. yes, the bengals have 2 division championships since 1990. however in the last 20 years, we've been to the playoffs 7 times. bengals? 3. you can make stats say whatever you want.

none of it matters though, neither team has won a chamionship since the Browns did it in 64.

EDwardo
01-01-06, 08:01 PM
...... starting next week, every NFL fan on this forum will be required to make picks for every playoff round.

Winner gets nothing but a few "hail hail"s and bragging rights.

AS if I care. I had a bad feeling when we lost to the Buffalo marching band.
Beat the Pat, beat the Nags, crushed the Bengals and miss the playoff. Just goes to show you what happens when you let a wanker team beat you.

You want a prediction? OK. Jake steps on his snake and the Broncos exit.

See ya Dick. We love you but we expected some magic but got another 5 years plus one plan.

I hate football till the start of training camp in July.

EDwardo
01-01-06, 08:03 PM
Hello? Bengals?

Nothing like getting your ass handed to you going into the playoffs.

rabbit
01-01-06, 08:11 PM
Anyone care to venture a guess as to the last time the Browns and Bengals combined to win 17 or more games in a season?

(flip over monitor for answer)

nrc
01-01-06, 08:14 PM
Hello? Bengals?

The Bengals are working on a "No Tackle" defense to go with their "No Huddle" offense.

Seriously, even though the Bengals didn't play a lot of starters, those that did play didn't play nearly well enough to go anywhere in the Play Offs. Palmer looked good in the first Quarter but everyone else was flat and Kitna certainly didn't help his prospects for going anywhere else.

There's some hope that the defensive line can get healthy and play better after this week but the big problem remains at in the secondary where the Bengals are down two Safeties. Ifeanyi Ohalete brings the complete package of being able unable to cover or tackle and it amazes me that evidently nobody on the bench is any better.

I'll hope for the best, but next Sunday evening will be a disappointing end to a good season if the Bengals don't play much better next week.

EDwardo
01-01-06, 08:38 PM
The Bengals are working on a "No Tackle" defense to go with their "No Huddle" offense.

Seriously, even though the Bengals didn't play a lot of starters, those that did play didn't play nearly well enough to go anywhere in the Play Offs. Palmer looked good in the first Quarter but everyone else was flat and Kitna certainly didn't help his prospects for going anywhere else.

There's some hope that the defensive line can get healthy and play better after this week but the big problem remains at in the secondary where the Bengals are down two Safeties. Ifeanyi Ohalete brings the complete package of being able unable to cover or tackle and it amazes me that evidently nobody on the bench is any better.

I'll hope for the best, but next Sunday evening will be a disappointing end to a good season if the Bengals don't play much better next week.

Larry Johnson finished the season with 1750 yards, (chiefs record) 21 tds and 9 straight hundred yard games and 10 for the season (3 in the first half) and he didn't even start until Holmes was injured in I think the third game.

Trent Green gets 4000 yards passing.

Sean O'Gorman
01-01-06, 08:38 PM

if you were steelers fans, ok, i can understand it. but seriously, 1 good year in 15. 1. not 4. not even 2. 1. and then you guys think you are hot stuff because your fans of a team that tied for the divisions best record. congrats.

oh and its funny how stats work. yes, the bengals have 2 division championships since 1990. however in the last 20 years, we've been to the playoffs 7 times. bengals? 3. you can make stats say whatever you want.

none of it matters though, neither team has won a chamionship since the Browns did it in 64.

All that matters is this season.

Ed_Severson
01-01-06, 09:08 PM
I heard about this and wondered why. This story really doesn't answer that. Was it an option, if it's open throw it if not kick it? Was it just a for, um, kicks?

Just for the hell of it, apparently.

Sean O'Gorman
01-01-06, 09:09 PM
Greatest. Play. Ever.

Me and Cork were talking for at least a month now how great it would be if someone did a drop kick in an NFL game again (not counting Hines Ward :rofl: ), I can't believe it happened.

Now, someone needs to do a drop kick from a fair catch on a punt return. :D

nrc
01-02-06, 12:06 AM

You seem to change how you define good everytime you post. Pick a definition that you can stick to and we can discuss.

chop456
01-02-06, 12:21 AM
Cedric Benson should have held out until he was 40.

RHR_Fan
01-02-06, 12:31 AM
I actually watched the Packers today. :eek: But they did win so that is good.

~Nicole

Stu
01-02-06, 09:46 AM
You seem to change how you define good everytime you post. Pick a definition that you can stick to and we can discuss.

in the first post i said you guys had one good year.

in the 2nd i did not clarify but implied that you have not had a good historic franchise.

so what i am saying is, though you had 1 good year this year, the bengals are still not a good franchise. the browns and bengals have both been so incredibly bad over the last 14 years, that the teams are quite similar. the browns are right where the bengals were as they completed their first season under lewis.

you bengal fans rip on the browns for how bad the browns have been since the 80s, but you forget your own history during those same years because you guys managed to go 11-5 this year.

so congrats on the year. you've been waiting 15 seasons to smell the playoffs. you have a good team and could go far in the playoffs, but you also went 3-4 against good teams this year, so don't get too cocky, or you will end up just like the browns did in 2002 against the steelers.

chop456
01-02-06, 10:04 AM
The Browns haven't even been in existence 14 years. Use that stat to your advantage.

WickerBill
01-02-06, 10:11 AM
Since Wk 17 is over, I'm ready to play director....

AAAAAAAAAAAAND, CUT!

As in, "neither one of you is going to have an epiphany and cross to the other's POV so let's drop it"

Andrew Longman
01-02-06, 10:41 AM
Giants won the division and look brilliant at times. They only got blown out by SD and were utterly pathetic offensively agianst the Vikes. Huge improvement on last year.

Most important. I'm glad I don't live in Ohio and have to decide between the The Browns and the Bengals :D

nrc
01-02-06, 03:09 PM
so what i am saying is, though you had 1 good year this year, the bengals are still not a good franchise. the browns and bengals have both been so incredibly bad over the last 14 years, that the teams are quite similar. the browns are right where the bengals were as they completed their first season under lewis.

The whole premise of "You can't say we suck because you sucked" is silly. I've never claimed that Bengals weren't bad over the last 15 years and given that I was in the stands for much of that futility I certainly haven't forgotten about it.

Stu
01-03-06, 08:23 AM
The whole premise of "You can't say we suck because you sucked" is silly. I've never claimed that Bengals weren't bad over the last 15 years and given that I was in the stands for much of that futility I certainly haven't forgotten about it.

Its not that, its when Bengal (not necessarily you) fans rip on the Browns for what they have done in the past and not just this year. You guys want to rip on us for going 6-10 in a rebuilding year when you went 11-5, fine. But when I hear crap about our past from a water-downed chilli fan, then thats just hypocritical.

nrc
01-03-06, 10:08 AM
Its not that, its when Bengal (not necessarily you) fans rip on the Browns for what they have done in the past and not just this year. You guys want to rip on us for going 6-10 in a rebuilding year when you went 11-5, fine. But when I hear crap about our past from a water-downed chilli fan, then thats just hypocritical.

What you've just said is, "It's not that, it's that." Why not just compete the effect with something like, "KEep preying fOr uPhil wader, water-downd Chilli fans!"

Wheel-Nut
01-03-06, 10:46 AM
Go Steelers!

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2005/03/02/17/header_2005_3_51254.jpg

Stu
01-03-06, 10:47 AM
What you've just said is, "It's not that, it's that." Why not just compete the effect with something like, "KEep preying fOr uPhil wader, water-downd Chilli fans!"

So are you saying that it is not hypocritical for a Bengals fan to rip on the Browns for their past, just because the Bengals went 11-5 this year?

Stu
01-03-06, 10:48 AM
Go Steelers!

:rofl:

Andrew Longman
01-03-06, 10:48 AM
Go Steelers!

No 5th or 6th seeded team has ever gone to the Super Bowl. Only one team has won three road games to even make the the big show and that was NE when they were blown out by Da Bears in 85.

Best of luck ;)

Stu
01-03-06, 11:02 AM
No 5th or 6th seeded team has ever gone to the Super Bowl. Only one team has won three road games to even make the the big show and that was NE when they were blown out by Da Bears in 85.

Best of luck ;)

How many times does a 5th or 6th seed team finish 11-5? The problem of course is the Steelers history of choking in the playoffs.

racer2c
01-03-06, 11:15 AM
The Raiders were the first to win the Super Bowl as a wild card team. '81 over the Eagles.

nrc
01-03-06, 12:12 PM
Wild Card Super Bowl Teams

2000 – Baltimore Ravens*
1999 – Tennessee Titans
1997 – Denver Broncos*
1992 – Buffalo Bills
1985 – New England Patriots
1980 – Oakland Raiders*
1975 – Dallas Cowboys

* won Super Bowl

Of course, in the old play-off system the top seeded Wild Cards got a home game. None of those wild card winners had to go all the way on the road and no Wild Cards have made the Super Bowl since the restructuring.

Wheel-Nut
01-03-06, 12:28 PM
Wild Card Super Bowl Teams

2000 – Baltimore Ravens*
1999 – Tennessee Titans
1997 – Denver Broncos*
1992 – Buffalo Bills
1985 – New England Patriots
1980 – Oakland Raiders*
1975 – Dallas Cowboys

* won Super Bowl

Of course, in the old play-off system the top seeded Wild Cards got a home game. None of those wild card winners had to go all the way on the road and no Wild Cards have made the Super Bowl since the restructuring.

Until this year!! :thumbup:

Insomniac
01-03-06, 12:49 PM

A lot of people these days don't even realize that a "dropkick" is not executed the same as a punt. The ball has to hit the ground.

It wasn't an option thing. He went out there to do just that. From what I gathered, Flutie did it in the CFL and Berman (Edit: Chris Berman from ESPN) mentioned to Bill Belichick that Flutie could do a drop kick. Belichick asked Flutie if he could and he said yes. Belichick decided if there was an opportunity to do one, he'd let him.

I figure, first, Belichick is a historian of the game and you could see how happy he was afterward (and you rarely see him smile). He also said something about Flutie having a skill and putting it to use. Kind of a neat way to end a career.

Insomniac
01-03-06, 12:52 PM
How many times does a 5th or 6th seed team finish 11-5? The problem of course is the Steelers history of choking in the playoffs.

The AFC Championship can't be in Pittsburgh. ;)

spinner26
01-03-06, 02:47 PM
Go Steelers!

:rolleyes:

Wheel-Nut
01-03-06, 02:58 PM
^^^ What's wrong, you don't like The Steelers?

Wheel-Nut
01-22-06, 07:48 PM
Who's laughing now baby!!! :thumbup:

Wheel-Nut
02-06-06, 11:43 AM
I just wanted to bring this one back up for another gloating session!! :thumbup:

http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent/2006/02/05/19/sbxl_rooney__62412.jpg

nrc
02-06-06, 12:58 PM
I'm having a pretty good laugh right now. :laugh:

Insomniac
02-07-06, 09:17 AM
Congratulations. I'm not a fan, but your team won it all and got the one for the thumb.