PDA

View Full Version : A NASA writeup of Miller Motorsports park

cameraman
12-30-05, 05:08 PM
Some of the people who work for the Rocky Mountain Region of the National Auto Sport Assn got a tour of the new facility in Utah. (It is still under construction, the tire walls are going in at the moment.) One of the people wrote up a detailed opinion of the facility from the point of view of a driver.

It is a good read.

Link to the NASA forum (http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_forums/showthread.php?t=49)

As promised, here is a writeup of our visit to the new Miller Motorsports Track in Salt Lake City.

I started off the week by having lunch with Mitch Wright who is the Director of Racing for Miller. If the name sounds familiar, Mitch was the head of SCCA Pro Racing and was largely responsible for getting their World Challenge program to what it is today. We spoke about several items, but much of it was how the track will help to promote our events. Since the track owner also owns a TV station, radio stations, two SLC sports teams and about 35 car dealerships, there are many advertising opportunities. All of our events will be open to the public and should be promoted. He is very much behind NASA events at the track is is willing to help make our events happen.

skaven
12-30-05, 08:34 PM
Hmmm... sounds good.

From that site I learned that Centrix is building a road course on the outskirts of Denver. The price tag for that is well short of the $50M being spent at Miller Motorsports Park, so it might not be big enough for Champ Cars, ALMS, etc.

But wouldn't it be nice if promotors like Centrix would replace some street courses will Miller-sized road courses? :D

The Centrix track, if built, will replace Second Creek which was shut down in November. I went to Second Creek once to watch my dentist race his Formula Ford... not that dentist.

cart7
12-30-05, 10:13 PM
Sounds like a fast track more than wide enough to accommidate Champ cars. The possible downside is not only the location but as the writer puts it, not a strong racing type community in Salt Lake City. Would love to see pix. At 4.5 miles for the full course, it sounds like a doozy!

cameraman
12-30-05, 11:21 PM
A spectator berm shot from the track surface.

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/images/PicUploads/12_5_7.jpg

cameraman
12-30-05, 11:24 PM
A whole lot of steel

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/images/PicUploads/12_5_4.jpg

cameraman
12-30-05, 11:28 PM
An overview

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/images/PicUploads/11_17_3.jpg

cameraman
12-30-05, 11:29 PM
Facilities going in

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/images/PicUploads/12_20_5.jpg

theunions
12-31-05, 03:11 AM
Should a brand-new facility be incorporating ANY Armco, let alone that much?

chop456
12-31-05, 05:35 AM
No. Especially on the outside.

Maybe concrete's expensive in Utah.

formulaben
12-31-05, 10:24 AM
Should a brand-new facility be incorporating ANY Armco, let alone that much?

Does it really matter if there are rows of tires and water barriers in front of the wall?

cameraman
12-31-05, 06:00 PM
Not to mention 100 to 400 feet of compacted gravel between the asphalt and steel? Yes, the steel is that far off the track.

All the steel will be covered by two layers of tires which in turn are covered by sheet rubber. Think of it as a latex-based safer barrier.

FCYTravis
12-31-05, 11:25 PM
Holy hell. What a track. I just copied-and-pasted that post off to our drivers... thanks, cameraman!

Can't wait to go there at the end of the season! :thumbup: :cool:

cart7
01-01-06, 12:10 PM
:cool: aerial shot. Lot's of places for a Champ car to "leg" it out on the long course. Some interesting high speed esses on that back stretch creating passing zones if a car is setup right. Nice and without knowing the actual elevation, it's possible to see most of the track from the high seats in the grandstands.

RacinM3
01-01-06, 03:52 PM
Nice. Looks fun!

NismoZ
01-02-06, 03:02 PM
Not a blade of grass, a bush or a tree in sight! Please remember to take your SPF30 and a canteen. What's the avg. temp out there in July, about 109? Maybe the ALMS race will be at night. :D

cameraman
01-02-06, 05:41 PM
There is no grass because it is a construction site.
It was an alfalfa field prior to building the track.

Average daily high temperature for the track location in July runs 85 to 92.
Average relative humidity is 10 to 20%.
There are no mosquitos, gnats, horse flies or any other flying biting insects.

I'll take Tooele in July over Mid-Ohio in July any day.

Methanolandbrats
01-02-06, 05:47 PM
Yup, nice summer weather. The lack of humidity is reflected in the nighttime lows. Not enough water in the air to dampen a gnats balls.

Month High Low
Jan 36 19
Feb 42 24
Mar 51 28
Apr 61 36
May 72 46
Jun 84 53
Jul 93 61
Aug 91 59
Sep 80 51
Oct 66 40
Nov 50 28
Dec 38 21

cameraman
01-04-06, 07:32 PM
Just saw this announcement.

The SCCA Mazda MX-5 Cup will run at MMP on the GARRA weekend in September.

The more the merrier...

And I also just noticed that the Grand Am nine hour race is going to use the shorter (3.06 mile) outer course as opposed to the 2 hour 45 minute ALMS race which will use the full (4.5 mile) version. No comparing times between the two.

FCYTravis
01-06-06, 10:42 AM
The PR from Grand-Am has always said they were planning to run the full 4.5 mile course for the nine-hour race. I wouldn't necessarily trust the schedule posted on the Web site... it's been known to be inaccurate before :)

cameraman
01-06-06, 01:16 PM
I was surprised when I saw that because all they talked about was the long track. Hard facts about the schedule & support events for that race are still a little sparse. MMP links you to the GA site and the GA site links you to MMP :rolleyes: