PDA

View Full Version : Bedford Gun Juice replacement

oddlycalm
12-29-05, 02:51 PM
Back in the 1950's my grandfather aquainted me with a "do-everything" product called "Bedford Gun Juice" which he invariably referred to as Panther Piss, which amused my mother not at all. As the decades have fallen away I've always kept a large supply of Panther Piss on hand to do everything from cleaning black powder residue from fouled muzzle loader bores to detailing my motorcycle engines to cleaning dried chewing gum off of wood without damaging the finish. Alas, after more than 100 years production ceased some years back, my supply eventually ran out, and a hunt for a worthy successor commenced. Once again, nothing good lasts forever. :(

After trying more than a dozen products, I found one that came close to filling the shoes of Panther Piss, and that product is Ballistol (http://www.ballistol.com/) . It will clean the worst crud off metal, including black powder residue, it lubricates, preserves and manages to do that without harming whatever finish is on the metal. This stuff even smells a bit like Panther Piss, which I find oddly comforting. Better yet, Ballistol is both nontoxic and biodegradable leading to its authorization by the USDA for lubricating machinery in the meat and poultry industries and bottling machinery in beverage factories. Nice to know if you have kids and pets.

Another more specialized product that I've used for some years is Kroil (http://www.kanolabs.com/) which is the best penetrating oil for frozen and rusted fasteners I have discovered. Also good from Kano Labs is their Molyfilm dry molybdenum di-sulfide lube. This stuff even works at severe below freezing temperatures, which oil of any kind will not.

I know this isn't a subject that has the same level or romance as some, but it can't be Christmas everyday....

oc

Ankf00
12-29-05, 02:55 PM
Kroil huh? thanks :)

eiregosod
12-30-05, 02:00 AM
the older generations knew what effin worked and what didnt. :thumbup:

G.
12-30-05, 11:06 AM
funny. Kroil = Panther Piss in my family. :laugh:

Ferdman
12-30-05, 01:15 PM
Go through the gun forums and they can't say enough good about both Kroil and Ballistol

oddlycalm
12-30-05, 04:27 PM
Go through the gun forums and they can't say enough good about both Kroil and Ballistol Right, and both have plenty of uses around the average house and for anyone that owns a car as well. The consumer stuff like WD40 simply doesn't cut it.

oc

G.
12-30-05, 04:43 PM
The consumer stuff like WD40 simply doesn't cut it.

ocI used WD40 on a shotgun once, for the final after-cleaning protectant. Within DAYS there was surface rust on it. DAYS!. Straight back to the real stuff based on rotten dinosaur carcases.