PDA

View Full Version : Lost, Desperate Housewives

vancouver
12-29-05, 02:21 PM
Here in the UK, season 1 of Lost is approaching the end.

I have grown to like it despite the storyline being a tad slow in parts.

When the season or series is up we get the 2nd season of Desperate Housewives.

This was brilliant last year! Mike Delfino! ;) :thumbup:

As far as I know North American viewers get to watch everything before the Brits. Even E R.

What was your opinion on these two shows.

Does Desperate Housewives really depict the typical surburban American lifestyle?

Did you feel there was misrepresentation in this show?

For example, do all the ladies pop round for tea and cakes and gossip or go shopping like Gabrielle Solis whilst the husbands go out to work?

By the way, this is for a report for my degree assignment. Be as honest as you can.

If you didnt enjoy either of these shows then please say.

Thankyou

RaceGrrl
12-29-05, 02:46 PM
I'm a Law and Order SVU/Criminal Intent fan. I also like Criminal Mimes. It's riveting although Richard and I are a little disappointed that they have yet to show a criminal mime. We also watch Mythbusters, My Name is Earl and South Park.

Ankf00
12-29-05, 02:57 PM
Out of the 2 I'd say Lost.

But I prefer Scrubs and Arrested Development myself.

WickerBill
12-29-05, 03:01 PM
You pay me a small fee and I'll Slingbox anything you want from our TV to you. ;)

KLang
12-29-05, 03:10 PM
I've never seen either. The only stuff besides news I watch regularly are Boston Legal, Battlestar Galactica and Star Gate Atlantis. Oh and Sopranos when it comes back.

tllips
12-29-05, 03:17 PM
Scrubs or 2 1/2 Men are the only regular shows I always watch.

racermike
12-29-05, 03:34 PM
I have not seen one episode of either of them.

If I had to write-in something,

would be Family Guy, Scrubs, and Conan O'Brien

vancouver
12-29-05, 04:50 PM
Well, this is interesting because when both shows were being marketed here. it was reported that they were massive shows in USA and Canada.

Apparently not.

KLang
12-29-05, 05:05 PM
Well, this is interesting because when both shows were being marketed here. it was reported that they were massive shows in USA and Canada.

Apparently not.

They do receive big national ratings. Apparently the members of this forum are not very representitive of the population of the country.

Dr. Corkski
12-29-05, 06:00 PM
I also like Criminal Mimes. :laugh:

ChampcarShark
12-29-05, 06:39 PM
Apparently the members of this forum are not very representitive of the population of the country.

Of course not, we are a unique breed.. ;)

by the way I still enjoy re-runs of the Dukes of Hazzard

RHR_Fan
12-29-05, 07:09 PM
I'm a Law and Order SVU/Criminal Intent fan. I also like Criminal Mimes. It's riveting although Richard and I are a little disappointed that they have yet to show a criminal mime. We also watch Mythbusters, My Name is Earl and South Park.

I love SVU too! I've watched both LOST and Desperate Housewives, but I always catch LOST. In fact, my friend gave me the complete guide to LOST book for Christmas. I'll have to look at that soon.

Other shows I watch:

-CSI: Miami
-House
-Law and Order: SVU
-CSI: New York
-Everwood
-ER

I also catch South Park and Family Guy and the Simpsons too sometimes. Shows like Wife Swap can be funny at times.

~Nicole

RacinM3
12-29-05, 07:16 PM
I like Lost, it's different than your run-of-the-mill shows, but it also pisses me off because it goes for 3 or 4 weeks, then goes into reruns for a month. Why? To let people who missed it catch up? Who cares about those slackers? Let 'em wait for the rerun season!

Re: Desperate Housewives - I can't stand that stupid show. Although, I would have said that it didn't represent the US - until I moved into our current neighborhood where it REALLY seems like all the housewives ARE running around with each other - no jobs, complete with bolt-ons and all! A couple are even aerobics instructors! Life imitates art (and I use that term loosely), it seems.

TKGAngel
12-29-05, 07:53 PM
I'll watch Desperate Housewives, but it doesn't seem like it goes anywhere anymore. Its like 4 separate storylines with no main hook to draw the 4 leading ladies together, like there was in the first season.

Lost is great to watch, but you actually have to be watching it, not doing something else while its on, or otherwise you miss something really big. West Wing and Grey's Anatomy are really the two shows that I try not to miss.

trish
12-29-05, 08:12 PM
I've never watched Lost, don't even know what it's about. I've watched two episodes of Desperate Housewives, it's ok but not likely to become habit forming.

indyfan31
12-29-05, 09:18 PM
I don't watch either one of those shows, but I did watch the pilots of both. Desperate Housewives was ok, just not worth watching again. Lost on the other hand, was pure nonsense.

Shows I don't miss:
House
CSI
CSI Miami
Gilmore Girls
Bones
Supernatural
Two and a half men

I purposely avoid any garbage tagged "Reality shows"

HTH

racer2c
12-29-05, 09:22 PM
I haven't seen either. A buddy told me I would probably dig Lost, but DH kinda just seems like Sex in the City in the 'burbs but watered down for network broadcast (based on people I know who watch it).

nrc
12-29-05, 09:27 PM
Best show on TV this year was "Over There", which unfortunately isn't being renewed by FX.

Favorite series right now is probably "Monk."

racer2c
12-29-05, 09:35 PM
Best show on TV this year was "Over There", which unfortunately isn't being renewed by FX.

Favorite series right now is probably "Monk."

My dad and my daughter like Monk but they say it went down hill bigtime after some main supporting actor left the show. He'll always be the guy from Wings to me. :)

theunions
12-29-05, 10:36 PM
I no longer watch any first-run network episodic TV that isn't animated, just because the premise/storyline/characters are of zero or less interest to me. Frankly I have more fun watching the local cops bust in on (or just plain bust) the sundry Lost actors - that's infinitely more entertaining than the actual show.

rabbit
12-29-05, 10:56 PM
24 :thumbup:

racer2c
12-29-05, 11:33 PM

Have they given Kiefer Sutherland's charachter any other line than "Tell me where the bomb is!" lately? :)

eiregosod
12-30-05, 01:41 AM
Meh,

where i live, the print media think that every aspect of Desperate Housewives is the ultimate goal of everyone. every basic need is now being described with a "desperate housewives' spin on it. clothes, lifestyle etc...

as for lost, thats another show where the print media are heralding as the book to live your life by. I get very suspicious when basic functions that are necessary to live by are desrcibed by a lost/sex in the city/desperate housewives/ narrative.

vancouver
12-30-05, 09:28 AM
Other shows I watch:

-Everwood

Everwood - now that is what i call perfect day time televison. We've just had the first season. It was popular due to Ephram's (Greg Smith) cuteness.

All the housewives were tuning in. :D

G.
12-30-05, 11:53 AM

Apparently not.
They are pretty massive, but not necessarily with ChampCar fans. You can save the reasons behind that comment for another report.

DH is an eye-candy soap opera, IMO. Mrs. G. loves it. (Note that the second season is reported to be pretty bland. They hired a new producer - the Producer hired his replacement actually.)

Lost is a decent show, but I cannot commit to an hour a week at 7:00 PM to follow it. If you don't follow it every week, it's pretty non-sensical.

What do I watch? Over There was great, sad to see it go. The Shield (can't wait for next season). My Name is Earl and The Office (yes. An American ripoff of the Brits.) are the only live actor sitcoms that I watch. The Office is rare in that it really is about as good as the British original.

And the History Channel. Almost anything on it. I've taken some days off during the Holidays, and that channel is ALWAYS on.

Family Guy and The Simpsons I catch as well.

Joe in LA
12-30-05, 01:47 PM

Yep, the general plot line may be repetitive, but the show keeps you glued to the set.

vancouver
12-30-05, 02:46 PM
The best thing abot DH is probably Gabrielle Solis' catchy one liners and the way Bree van de kamp delivers her quips. :rofl:

rabbit
12-30-05, 02:58 PM
Have they given Kiefer Sutherland's charachter any other line than "Tell me where the bomb is!" lately? :)
I just got hooked on it within the last week. A friend was telling me how great it was and that I should rent the first few seasons. My wife and I watched seven episodes in a row non-stop the first night and have watched nine more since then. It's now our weekly "date."

Warlock!
12-30-05, 03:12 PM
Anything on channel 596... it's the only thing that keeps my attention.

At least until I finish...

Insomniac
12-30-05, 04:32 PM
I'll watch Desperate Housewives, but it doesn't seem like it goes anywhere anymore. Its like 4 separate storylines with no main hook to draw the 4 leading ladies together, like there was in the first season.

Lost is great to watch, but you actually have to be watching it, not doing something else while its on, or otherwise you miss something really big. West Wing and Grey's Anatomy are really the two shows that I try not to miss.

Grey's is far better than DH this year.

TravelGal
12-30-05, 09:06 PM
Of the two I have to say Desperate Housewives because we never started witht Lost. Once you're behind, you're....lost.

Had to watch DH because, yes, it's true, I've known Jamie (James) Denton for quite a while. I used to do the travel for his internet fan club. edit: And, yes, the complaints that the four stories diverged this year are all over the websites. Mark Cherry seems unconcerned. :rolleyes: Ego.

To answer the question, no DH is not realistic but satire for most of America. Although Huntington Beach and other spots may resemble it more than most. (news to me!)

As for what we watch.
HOUSE! Yes, best show on TV, although season one had much more bite.

Tied with 24, which is too intense for my little psyche so I disappear to my computer and read Champ Car stuff while it's on.

Monk definitely tailed off when "Sharonna" left but is still worth your eyesight.

Numbers. Geeze you guys, give it a look. Smart and brainy. But then, no sex, so I suppose interest wanes for some .............. :p

Am enjoying Commander in Chief because I can't stand Donald Sutherland and in this show you are SUPPOSED to hate him.

Without a Trace is still good. Cold Case is inconsistent this year. E-Ring has its moments.

We should be a Neilsen family. We watch a lot. Or I should say, we tape it so we can zap through the commericals.

Racing Truth
12-30-05, 09:24 PM
"House" is the best show on television, IMHO. If you're easily offended, well, too #%$#% bad. ;)

stroker
12-30-05, 11:16 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. Otherwise, prime time TV is complete crap. Thank God for the History Channel, the Science Channel, the Discovery Channel, the Military Channel, <cough>Speed<cough>...

stroker
12-30-05, 11:21 PM
Yep, the general plot line may be repetitive, but the show keeps you glued to the set.

Last year's story line sucked so bad I gave up on it after 4 weeks.

Whatever happened to the kid?

RHR_Fan
12-30-05, 11:31 PM
Everwood - now that is what i call perfect day time televison. We've just had the first season. It was popular due to Ephram's (Greg Smith) cuteness.

All the housewives were tuning in. :D

I actually started watching Everwood since my mom watches it. I really like the writing on that show. The teenagers/young adults, I think, actually act like me and other people my age. It's not stupid or unbelievable. And Gregory Smith is a cutie too, I'll admit that. :D

~Nicole

vancouver
01-06-06, 01:01 PM
My name is Earl debuts here tonight.

Just checked the profile on IMDB - should be a good show.

The critics have described Earl as part Homer Simpson and part born-again Christian. :laugh:

G.
01-06-06, 01:33 PM
My name is Earl debuts here tonight.

Just checked the profile on IMDB - should be a good show.

The critics have described Earl as part Homer Simpson and part born-again Christian. :laugh:Watch it! You should enjoy it.

And yes, there are people just like this in the US. We call 'em NASCAR fans. ;)

Steve99
01-06-06, 05:20 PM
I'm not sure I'd call Earl a born-again Christian, but it is a good show.

I'm surprised so many here watch CSI: Miami. I've tried it a few times but find it to be one of the worst shows I've seen. Bad writing, stupid plots, and terrible acting. They just seem to arrest everyone they can find it till they can make it stick.

Turn7
01-06-06, 08:41 PM
Well, if Desperite Houswives is supposed to be an accurate portrayal of Suburbia Americana, I need to move cause these bitches be nappy on my block.

vancouver
01-07-06, 01:36 PM
My name is Earl was great!

Some nice catchy one liners too, like this one from last night.

Randy: What's karma?
Earl: I don't know, it's something Carson Daly came up with. :laugh:

TravelGal
01-07-06, 02:33 PM
I'm surprised so many here watch CSI: Miami. I've tried it a few times but find it to be one of the worst shows I've seen. Bad writing, stupid plots, and terrible acting. They just seem to arrest everyone they can find it till they can make it stick.

I am SO with you on that one Steve99. I watched the one with Champ Car in Miami and nearly gagged on that one. I've caught parts of others but I just can't stand it. The dialog is beyond the pale. I guess we're in the minority though.

Ankf00
01-07-06, 04:49 PM
Well, if Desperite Houswives is supposed to be an accurate portrayal of Suburbia Americana, I need to move cause these bitches be nappy on my block.

I take it you don't live in The Woodlands or Sugarland ;) :D

G.
01-07-06, 07:27 PM
My name is Earl was great!

Some nice catchy one liners too, like this one from last night.

Randy: What's karma?
Earl: I don't know, it's something Carson Daly came up with. :laugh:What surprised me, more than anything, is that fine, fine specimen of Americana, Jaime Pressly, can actually act!

All of the acting is great, esp. Jason Lee, but Jaime does good? Wow!

anait
01-07-06, 07:53 PM
Haven't seen either Lost or DH. Lost seems too angsty for my taste. And DH seems too ridiculous. :p Yeah, those are housewives I know...

Mr anait watches JAG every night. I join him once the kids are sleeping. He loves anything about the military, especially aviation. Plus he enjoys watching Colonel Mackenzie. :D I enjoy Admiral Chegwidden. :cool:

West Wing is our weekly must-see. Missed a lot of season 4 or 5...but the last two have had us glued to the set again. I will miss John Spencer's Leo dreadfully. :(

Last year, the new Doctor Who was also a weekly date. I LOVED Doctor #9. Saw this year's Christmas episode, to kick off the new season with Dr. #10...he's okay, but he's not Christopher Ecclestone. The rest of the new season doesn't start until spring, the UK broadcaster said. I'm hoping spring comes in Britain a whole lot earlier than in Manitoba...

Other than that, we watch Mythbusters, stuff on History and Discovery, HGTV and Food. Plus sports wherever they're on. And I channel surf through Newsworld and CNN regularly throughout the day.

Methanolandbrats
01-07-06, 07:58 PM
Anything on channel 596... it's the only thing that keeps my attention.

At least until I finish... Finish what? I'm confused :confused:

anait
01-07-06, 08:05 PM
Finish what? I'm confused :confused:

...wait for it...

devilmaster
01-07-06, 08:23 PM
:laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

[edit] better not.... being a family forum and all...