PDA

View Full Version : All Brazilian Podium-Hey Buddy Jobe, Remember This?

DaveL
03-23-03, 06:51 PM
"I've got nothing but respect for the Brazilian drivers, but we've got like eight of them right now. They are happy to be here because they bought their ride.

I just don't think that it is good for the sport that a race fan has no ties to [drivers] or knows who they are."

Buddy Jobe-1995

Lizzerd
03-23-03, 07:35 PM
Please pardon my ignorance, but who is Buddy Jobe?

pchall
03-23-03, 07:37 PM
Owner of Phoenix before selling to ISC. Still runs the facility for the France family and minions.

DaveL
03-23-03, 07:42 PM
If anyone has Leo Mehl's quote about how the JJ Yeleys of the world would be the new heros of the sport rather than the Helios, please post it.

The all-Brazilian podium today is just too sweet and ironic to be ignored. The Lemmings are now peeing all over themselves with their love and affection for Tony and Helio, when it wasn't that long ago they were saying that these were the "nameless faceless Brazilians" who were the unworthy replacements for the Unsers, Rutherford, Johncock, etc.

Lizzerd
03-23-03, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by pchall
Owner of Phoenix before selling to ISC. Still runs the facility for the France family and minions.

Thanks, Pete.

My oh my, how blatant the hypocrisy...

Hot Rod Otis
03-23-03, 07:56 PM
The lemmings are all running out to buy Brazilian flags for May.:laugh:

Their new-found love for Brazilian road racers is a treat to watch. Especially Castroneves. Helio was THE poster boy for what was wrong with C^RT. A whole pack of rich Brazilian road racers with long, funny sounding names with hyphens in them. Foreign road racers that the average fan couldn't identify with, that had names that the regulars @ IRP couldn't begin to pronounce or spell correctly, who couldn't wait to get an F1 ride. Now the IRL is being dominated by them, and now they love 'em. :laugh: Its rather amusing to watch.:laugh:

Ziggy
03-23-03, 09:08 PM
Hell Otis, I think it's sad to watch. It's not like these guys are perfecting anything. They are driving around in circles for fans who in truth, hate them.

Welcome to big time open wheel racing in The Greatest Country on Earth.

It was Cary Agajanian who made some ludicrous statements in regard to Tony Stewart. It went along the lines of Jack My Root asking "Carry, how did you know that Mr. Stewart was so talented"?
Carry replied, "Heck jackass, We got a ton of young talent running Sprints and Midgets, I could name 20 guys who should be in these cars"

Where are Carry and Leo?

The sad fact of the matter is, Tony could care less about tradition and patriotism. This "chosen chassie manufacture" Falcon was a total fabrication and a slap at Lola. The promise and guidlines laid down by Mr George have long been forgotten. There are no more American's getting drives than the pre split era. Hornish did earn a seat, but not until his family "bought" him a ride at PDM Racing, and Panther Racing gave him a shot. All the others are running either on past glory or bring the cash to run the car. Wither Buddy Lazier? Eddie Cheever? the only American's to win the Indy 500 post split. Both are either out of a job, or cant afford to run there own equipment (after shooting their mouths off and losing the money) Poor Billy Boat didnt make any waves, didnt crash too much, was competitive, and is out on his ear. Stewart is gone taxi racing, hating it while basking in the boat load of dollars. Leffler never got going after a ghost Penske effort in ready for a full attack on the league. Bliss, Blaney are also on the NASCAR gravy train. How long will it be before Chevy either pulls the plug, or the braintrust at the IRL will give them concessions to make them competitive? How much does an IRL engine cost to LEASE? Who gets the special parts? Who builds shocks? Which engine manufactures are, or soon will be, calling the shots?

What is different now than pre split?

Tony is in charge, and racing be damned, thats all he really cares about.

Nice to see the Copper World Classic doing so well, hell, even the staunch USAC supportes are voting with their wallets.

Ziggy

Eagle104
03-23-03, 09:17 PM
Ziggy! .. tell it!

Railbird
03-23-03, 09:21 PM
Very well put Zig.

Hink
03-23-03, 09:47 PM
Hahaha - the one track I was bummed we lost during the split was Phoenix. They had some fun races there back in the day. Seeing this old quote from "Buddy" is great!

RTKar
03-23-03, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy

It was Cary Agajanian who made some ludicrous statements in regard to Tony Stewart. It went along the lines of Jack My Root asking "Carry, how did you know that Mr. Stewart was so talented"?
Carry replied, "Heck jackass, We got a ton of young talent running Sprints and Midgets, I could name 20 guys who should be in these cars"

I remember that qoute and probably have it on a vcr tape. I taped some of the early races back then and saved them thinking I might want to watch these years from now to remember some of the rhetoric and garbage racing the irl was putting on.

Hot Rod Otis
03-23-03, 10:16 PM
:thumbup: Ziggy :thumbup:

DaveL
03-23-03, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by RTKar
I taped some of the early races back then and saved them thinking I might want to watch these years from now to remember some of the rhetoric and garbage racing the irl was putting on.

By all means post some of the "He's just the kind of driver the IRL was made for", and "this is what the IRL is all about" stuff they liked to repeat.

And Ziggy, great post.

Ziggy
03-23-03, 10:28 PM
The all time classic was from Donald Davidson at the first Micky Mouse race.

some backround

Donald Davidson is from England. He came to the US in the early 60's I believe. As far as I can learn, He has never become a US citizen. As an autoracing historian, His mind is second to none. Having had some dealings with Mr Davidson, America has been very, very good to him. Especially the US Auto Club.

Out of his piehole during the qualifying session for that very first IRL race. Picture Michele Albereto running on the track "Tony has established this new league in order to get many of the American's a shot at racing at Indianapolis, an idea that I tend to agree with". Next out, Tyce Carlson of course!

This was the same race with the Helmegarn hoodoo wagon shedding its left front suspension for no good reason. Same outfit in which Davy Hamilton crashed at Indy in '95, repaired the car, and lost the undertray in an 11th hour qualifying attempt. Good thing Tony started a league for this guy and this team and other's of this ilk. Broke down nobodies who are now on the outside looking in.

Who's your favorite IRL team? Penske, Rahal, MoNunn or Andretti???

Ziggy

chop456
03-24-03, 01:49 AM
"Take Billy Boat, for example. I've watched Billy all of his career. He's 31 now. I think He will turn out to be one of the finest talents that Indy Car racing has ever seen. John Menard, who put Tony Stewart in his car at Orlando, asked me where I'd found him, and I was reported to have said "I have 10 more, 20 more just like him" and I do. But it's not me, it's America's short tracks. Our driver A-list includes not only the USAC sprint and midget drivers, but also those from WOO where there are a number of splendid drivers."

- Cary Agajanian, USAC VP in charge of the IRL. August 1996 Racer Magazine.

The rest of the article is pretty funny, too.

chop456
03-24-03, 01:50 AM

Who's your favorite IRL team? Penske, Rahal, MoNunn or Andretti???

Ha. :D

cart7
03-24-03, 10:16 AM
This mornings STL paper has the AP results of the race with 2nd place going to:

Julio Castro Neves. :laugh:

Wheel-Nut
03-24-03, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by cart7
This mornings STL paper has the AP results of the race with 2nd place going to:

Julio Castro Neves. :laugh:

Wasn't he Lamont's friend on Sanford and Son?

sundaydriver
03-24-03, 10:51 AM
Ah the Vision. Chalk full of lies, half truths and bogusness. :D

DaveL
03-24-03, 11:21 AM
That quote is just too sweet, Chop. Thanks for posting it.

Let's say this was Speednet and the year is 1997. Anyone want to take a stab at what the Lemming response would have been had we posted that in 2003, the Phoenix podium would be all Brazilian road racers driving factory backed cars powered by leased engines that the teams could not work on?

pchall
03-24-03, 11:59 AM
e-stand/northsnore/HWC would be having a hissy fit.

Ah, the bad old daze of SpeedNet.

oddlycalm
03-24-03, 03:58 PM
What is different now than pre split?

Lets see, around 25% of the power is gone, the cars got ugly, they sound like a goose fart on a muggy day, the crowds and TV audience is long gone, a third of the field are wankers that wouldn't know what a checkered flag meant if one was accidentally waived in front of them, and when Juan Montoya's grandmother shows up Indy Racing will have two (alleged) females driving.

I'm sure I left something out...

oc

JLMannin
03-24-03, 06:34 PM
How come none of our Off-Camber pet lemmings are participating in this thread? :eek:

Great comments, Ziggy. :thumbup: