View Full Version : Wi-Fi network advice

indyfan31
12-23-05, 10:19 PM
Here's what I've got (at home):
1 - PC running XP pro
1 - G4 Powermac running Tiger
2 - Apple Laptops
1 - USB inkjet printer.

What I want to do is give the two desktop computers wired access to the DSL modem, give the laptops wireless access to the DSL modem and give ALL of them access to the printer. Linksys used to have a wireless router with 4 ethernet ports and a USB connection for a printer, but now I can't find it. I found one from D-Link that does exactly what I want but I'd rather not go with D-Link if I can avoid it. Any suggestions?

nrc
12-24-05, 01:26 AM
I'm not a big fan of D-Link. You might want to make sure that print server will work with your Macs. Looks like the specs on some of them say "Windows Only" other say Macs work only with PS printers.

I just share the printer form my system since it's on all the time anyway.

Obviously the other option would be a standalone print server from Linksys but the pricing on those is kind of stiff.

Insomniac
12-24-05, 09:17 AM
I don't think the USB port on that was for a printer.

If you're partial to Linksys then I would suggest getting the wireless router of your choice, B, G, SRX, etc. and also getting the PrintServer for USB with 4 port Switch (PSUS4). It will cost about $60. The nice thing is you can replace your wireless router in the future with another one and still use your print server. Instead of always having to find a router/print server combination.

indyfan31
12-24-05, 02:34 PM
Thanks boss, I missed the Windows only specs, and I'm not a big fan of D-Link either.

Insomniac, you may be right, but I could swear it was indeed a USB print server. Anyway, you may have the best solution, so I'll start shopping for those two pieces.

thanks for the help guys.

Insomniac
12-25-05, 12:58 PM
Thanks boss, I missed the Windows only specs, and I'm not a big fan of D-Link either.

Insomniac, you may be right, but I could swear it was indeed a USB print server. Anyway, you may have the best solution, so I'll start shopping for those two pieces.

thanks for the help guys.

I tried to find it, because I figured you could get a used (or possibly new) one off eBay or Amazon for a decent price but had no luck.