PDA

View Full Version : run b!#^@es, run

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Andrew Longman
03-26-09, 09:05 AM
Sadly, the pilot didn't make it out.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/03/26/america/NA-F-22-Crash.php

Sad. Hard to imagine circumstances over an open desert where the pilot couldn't punch out in time. But I'm sure he would if he could.

I'm conflicted about the F22. I love the idea and it performs its mission so well, but at $165m a piece and only being able for field 183 it becomes a toy you never play with. The loss of only one is too much. Like the B2 which they wouldn't fly in the rain.

Gnam
03-26-09, 12:07 PM
:(

Wonder if they were testing the flight characteristics of the airframe in extreme attitudes, stalling it out, flat spins, departures, etc?

I thought they did all that stuff before making the plane operational.

cameraman
03-26-09, 12:29 PM
It could have been problem with the pilot too. He could have blacked out or had some other medical problem. Who knows.

Ankf00
03-26-09, 02:31 PM
I thought they did all that stuff before making the plane operational.

they do.

if they added any systems that would affect physical performance, then they'd be running through those tests again

dando
04-06-09, 06:02 PM
So long, Raptor.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/06/gates.budget.cuts/index.html

Three key priorities are reflected in the changes, Gates said.

The priorities include a stronger institutional commitment to the military's all-volunteer force, a decision to "rebalance" defense programs to better fight current and future conflicts, and "fundamental overhauls" of the military's procurement, acquisition and contracting process.

Among other things, Gates called for production of the Air Force's most expensive fighter, the F-22 Raptor, to be phased out by fiscal year 2011.

-Kevin

Gnam
04-06-09, 06:22 PM
So much for Lockheed's "shovel ready" project.
Gates did request 30 Joint Strike Fighters for 2009, up from 14.

They also want one less carrier battle group. Interesting call with the increased stress on the Navy to patrol more and the Chinese claiming they can blow a carrier out of the water at will. Eventually, the carrier will fade in importance, but it seems a little early to start a draw down.

Ankf00
04-06-09, 08:02 PM
stock up 9% today despite that news :confused:

dando
04-06-09, 08:08 PM
They also want one less carrier battle group. Interesting call with the increased stress on the Navy to patrol more and the Chinese claiming they can blow a carrier out of the water at will. Eventually, the carrier will fade in importance, but it seems a little early to start a draw down.

Draw down? They just launched CVN-77 (H.W. Bush).

-Kevin

Gnam
04-06-09, 08:36 PM
Draw down? They just launched CVN-77 (H.W. Bush).

-Kevin

There used to be 12. There are now 11 (10 Nimitz class + Enterprise). If the new Ford Class carrier is delayed until after the Enterprise is decommissioned there will only be 10.

nrc
04-06-09, 11:28 PM
So much for Lockheed's "shovel ready" project.
Gates did request 30 Joint Strike Fighters for 2009, up from 14.

I think we're quite a ways off from the time when it won't be very desirable to have the ability to park a carrier off the coast and bring air power to bare on the other side of the world.

Gates also wants to buy 30 more F-35 Joint Strike Fighters, and buy 31 more Navy F/A-18 fighter jets but retire 250 of the Air Force’s oldest tactical fighter jets, all during the upcoming fiscal year.
http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2009/04/military_defense_budgetcuts_040609w/

Retire 250 aircraft in a year? I understand that a lot of those are probably old F16s with Guard and reserve units, but what does this mean for the total combat ready aircraft inventory?

It's all well and good to restructure to better meet the requirements of low intensity conflict and create a sustainable force, but on of the big military lessons of the last two decades has been the effectiveness of precision air power as a force multiplier. Assuring air dominance is essential to all of that.

KLang
04-07-09, 07:39 AM
I guess the thinking must be with the UN resolving all international disputes now we don't need all this fancy military hardware anymore. :\

I do hope they at least fund some R&D.

stroker
04-07-09, 10:13 AM
I would guess that some wonk has a sheaf of computer printouts "proving" that the next generation of combat UAVs will smoke the F22 at half the price. That's all a bureaucrat would need to justify cancellation of the Raptor.

cameraman
04-21-09, 01:21 AM
Ooops. If they are looking to retire some aircraft, the folks at Hill helped a little bit with the decision process today.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/Cynops/Crunch.png

BZSetshot
04-21-09, 08:37 AM
Hope the data for the F-22 is better protected than the ones for the F-35!

Cyberspies hack into U.S. fighter project (http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE53K0TG20090421)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Computer spies have repeatedly breached the Pentagon's costliest weapons program, the $300 billion Joint Strike Fighter project, The Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday.

The newspaper quoted current and former government officials familiar with the matter as saying the intruders were able to copy and siphon data related to design and electronics systems, making it potentially easier to defend against the plane.

The spies could not access the most sensitive material, which is kept on computers that are not connected to the Internet, the paper added.

Citing people briefed on the matter, it said the intruders entered through vulnerabilities in the networks of two or three of the contractors involved in building the fighter jet.

Gnam
04-21-09, 04:49 PM
Umm ... what?

EA-18G, Electronic jamming F-18 variant shoots down F-22. (http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2009/02/growler-power-ea-18g-boasts-f-.html)

T-38 trainer shoots down F-22. (http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2009/04/video-youtube-clip-purports-f-.html)

Is there an F-22 silhouette decal available yet?
It could be the new sensation for the import tuner crowd. :p

Ankf00
04-21-09, 06:52 PM
EA-18G, Electronic jamming F-18 variant shoots down F-22. (http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2009/02/growler-power-ea-18g-boasts-f-.html)

T-38 trainer shoots down F-22. (http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2009/04/video-youtube-clip-purports-f-.html)

http://tmideast.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/facepalm2ly3.jpg

emjaya
04-21-09, 07:29 PM
Umm ... what?

I'd see that as a good thing, in a way. If Russia or China comes up witha F22 of their own, you would want to be able to shoot it down, wouldn't you.

Gnam
06-17-09, 04:38 PM
Stop looking at my airplane!

F-22 can't make it to Paris air show.
http://www.dailytech.com/F22+Raptor+Pulled+from+Paris+Air+Show/article15449.htm

Napoleon
07-10-09, 12:19 PM
Sounds to me that the F-22 is a piece of junk (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/09/AR2009070903020.html?nav=hcmodule)

"It is a disgrace that you can fly a plane [an average of] only 1.7 hours before it gets a critical failure"

Gnam
07-10-09, 12:58 PM
Any piece of military hardware can be made to look like an overpriced piece of junk that isn't as good as what it's replacing, but it beats stabbing a guy with a pointed stick. ;)

Sounds like politics to me. Congress, Lockheed, & the Air Force on one side; the White House, Sec.Def, Army & Navy on the other.

oddlycalm
07-10-09, 04:06 PM
Any piece of military hardware can be made to look like an overpriced piece of junk that isn't as good as what it's replacing
Exactly right. If we based our evaluation of the success ratio of F-14 vs T-38 & A-4 at Miramar back in the day you would have concluded the F-14 was a $30 million POS. History demonstrates the opposite was true.

Look close and you realize a T-38 weighs nothing, just engines and seats. It carries no weapons, no complex fire control radar system and barely enough fuel to fly from LA to San Fran on slow cruise. In the hands of a much better pilot we know from literally thousands of flights with hundreds of different pilots that it will win 100% of the time against a much larger and heavier aircraft in a close-in gun fight. Same thing with an EA-18G, though to a lesser degree. It's like racing the best modern GT car against a vintage F1 car from the turbo era with a great driver behind the wheel; not even close.

The glaring flaw in this logic in the real world is that a T-38 would never get within 25 miles of an F-14 or an F-22 unless the larger aircraft was out of ordinance and crippled so it couldn't run. In the case of the F-22 the T-38 would be never find it unless it stumbled across it in visual range by accident.

oc

KLang
07-10-09, 04:24 PM
Sounds like politics to me. Congress, Lockheed, & the Air Force on one side; the White House, Sec.Def, Army & Navy on the other.

And Congress writes the checks.

It's going to be tough to put much of a dent in the military procurement budget. Too many voters building the equipment.

Napoleon
07-10-09, 04:34 PM
OC, maybe true, but his post was in response to the article and the article basically makes the plane sound like the world's most expensive paperweight. Maybe a T-38 does not get within 25 miles of an F-22 in the air but if, to use a couple of things mentioned in the article, it is sitting on the ground overnight waiting for some part of the skin that was glued back on to dry, or without a part because as the planes are assembled the assemblers have to basically customize a bunch of the parts (I think they used the phrase "shim line") therefore making parts hard to interchange, then it is not going to be very effective against a T-38. As I said in my post the story qoutes someone who asserts (an noone in the story contridicts it) that on average the plane suffers a critical failure every 1.7 hours (and the story points out that the number of hours of service for hour of flight time is extremely high)

No wonder they didn't fly one to Paris for the airshow.

(and the article really doesn't even get into much detail that the F-22 really doesn't address threats we actually face).

nrc
07-10-09, 09:18 PM
Seems like every fiasco in weapons capability starts with the notion that we don't have to worry about a particular threat any more. But what the heck, a one to one kill ratio was good enough for our Vietnam era pilots, the undefeated team we've got right now are just a bunch of sissies for not wanting to even the playing field a little.

We were watching a documentary about the F-15 the other day and it was mentioned that the Eagle was designed to address the shortcomings of the F-4 and its poor air combat record. When they mentioned that the F-4 was built on the notion that air combat maneuvers would be irrelevant against all future threats, Missy asked "How could they be so stupid?" I had to chuckle given the current arguments that the F-22 is unnecessary because of the lack of threats.

The F-35 will not be able to replace the F-15 in the air superiority role, let alone the F-22. If we don't build an adequate number of F-22s to maintain decent force size throughout its intended service life then we'll end up either critically short of fighter capability. That, or we'll have to start funding a replacement within the next ten years.

As for the specific problems being fed to the press, every single stealth aircraft has had operational problems with anti-radar coatings. The F-35 will have the same kind of problems even if another generation of development makes them less prevalent. Every top-line aircraft has also had detractors who claim they were killed in training flights by a Cessna with a fly swatter. Those things happen because the rules of engagement are tilted to create a challenge for the pilots.

Air dominance is a more critical aspect of our force structure than ever. Replacing fighters with bomb trucks has failed in the past and it will fail again.

oddlycalm
07-10-09, 10:29 PM
his post was in response to the article and the article basically makes the plane sound like the world's most expensive paperweight.

It may well be, but it's probably too early to say for sure. I don't want to stake out a strong position because not only do I not have a dog in the fight but I don't have an opinion one way or they other. I have seen some programs that were considered real bowsers and were controversial as hell end up looking good (Bradley) and some that were early, on track and under budget that were unremarkable (B1) because the mission it was conceived for had largely changed or evaporated. Most continue to be fine tuned well into deployment. I'll get back to you in 15yrs on the F-22...

oc

Ankf00
07-10-09, 11:01 PM
And Congress writes the checks.

It's going to be tough to put much of a dent in the military procurement budget. Too many voters building the equipment.

Not true. Gates just successfully killed FCS.

Although, to get back to OC's last post, much of the vetronics & C4 tech will be integrated into Bradley & Stryker going forward.

Gnam
07-11-09, 03:59 AM
OC, maybe true, but his post was in response to the article and the article basically makes the plane sound like the world's most expensive paperweight.
Thanks for linking the article. :thumbup:
The final two paragraphs included some interesting details about why that jet crashed in the desert last March.

IMO, the rest of the article is a hit piece full of dubious accusations (it's a piece of junk!) by lots of former somebodys (comptroller!) with the intent of turning public opinion against the program so it's easier to cut. (Who wants to buy a Pinto?)

Some arguments supporting the program have been equally stupid: "We need more planes cause only half of 'em work." :gomer:

But it's not about the plane anymore. Now it's about control and scoring political points, none of which will build a better fighter.

coolhand
07-12-09, 04:11 PM
I was not around in the early 70s but I have read that people said the same things about the F-15 and F-14 being too big and expensive. Anyone who worked carriers for the USN will tell you how much of a maintenance hog the F-14 was. That was part of the reason for the F-18 transition.

Also much of this criticism comes from the fighter mafia, lead by Sprey and Riccioni. These guys were right about the need for the F-16 in the post Vietnam era but have been wrong on everything since. I would actually credit John Boyd and his "Energy-Maneuverability Theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy-Maneuverability_theory)" more with building the right type of aircraft. His work is why we ended up with the F-16 and F-15, planes that go around Mach 2 yet have big wings (with the associated drag) that keep the wing loading down allowing them to turn and slow down.

There was a garbage article in Politico this week pushing this same stuff except saying crap like BVR missiles don't work, yet Russian SAMs are deadly. These articles also use the canard about Vietnam and Sparrow only working 10% of the time. They seem to omit the fact electronics have changed a lot since the early 60s. The ideas were right back then but the technology was not there yet. Even despite that the F-4 phantom had a positive kill ratio versus MIGs.

nrc
07-12-09, 09:27 PM
Keep in mind that we're not just talking about whether the Raptor is the right aircraft for the mission. We're talking about eliminating almost 200 fighters and strike aircraft without replacements. This in an environment where high sortie rates already have aircraft reaching their designed service life sooner than expected.

stroker
07-12-09, 11:33 PM
Also much of this criticism comes from the fighter mafia, lead by Sprey and Riccioni. These guys were right about the need for the F-16 in the post Vietnam era but have been wrong on everything since.

More detail, please. What does "everything" entail?

coolhand
07-13-09, 10:41 PM
More detail, please. What does "everything" entail?

Go read it all from the horse's mouth. They want thousands of aircraft like a F-20 Tigershark or F-16A flying around with 20mm and Sidewinders, you know like how the real men used to do it. Like Luke Skywalker turning off his computer while destroying the death star. Skills not TechMOLogy.

No fun being a fighter jock and having to think about Frequency, Wavelength, electromagnetic properties and signal processing.

Gnam
07-14-09, 12:32 AM
:laugh:

stroker
07-14-09, 08:48 AM
Go read it all from the horse's mouth. They want thousands of aircraft like a F-20 Tigershark or F-16A flying around with 20mm and Sidewinders, you know like how the real men used to do it. Like Luke Skywalker turning off his computer while destroying the death star. Skills not TechMOLogy.

No fun being a fighter jock and having to think about Frequency, Wavelength, electromagnetic properties and signal processing.

Ah. The stuff UAV's are going to be doing within the next 10 years. Gotcha.

Napoleon
07-14-09, 12:18 PM
Ah. The stuff UAV's are going to be doing within the next 10 years. Gotcha.

I actually saw speculation in the last week that the F-35 would be our last manned fighter.

stroker
07-14-09, 03:12 PM
I actually saw speculation in the last week that the F-35 would be our last manned fighter.

People have been saying things like that for more than 50 years, but I think by now it's pretty likely. We're getting pretty close to that old Disney cartoon about Paul Bunyan and his Blue Ox being put out of work by some little dweeb with a chainsaw.

Napoleon
07-14-09, 04:47 PM
People have been saying things like that for more than 50 years, but I think by now it's pretty likely.

Where I saw the speculation the person said that the idea has been out there for a long time but that the performance and abilities of the drones were so inferior it didn't make sense, but we may have finally gotten to the point that even if inferior in some respects you can make it up in numbers.

coolhand
07-14-09, 06:48 PM
At this point in time C3 networks don't have the bandwidth for much more drones. Pinging full motion video for hours on end across the globe takes up space.

Gnam
07-14-09, 07:15 PM
Who needs video feeds when the UAV is doing the driving? :p

Ankf00
07-15-09, 05:06 AM
At this point in time C3 networks don't have the bandwidth for much more drones.

uh huh

Gnam
07-16-09, 07:10 PM
fighter pron (http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/07/picture-this-f-18-buzzes-detroit-apartment/) :thumbup:

Ankf00
07-17-09, 05:06 AM
fighter pron (http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/07/picture-this-f-18-buzzes-detroit-apartment/) :thumbup:

bug ftw!

Gnam
07-21-09, 03:15 PM
Senate kills F-22. (http://www.reuters.com/article/vcCandidateFeed7/idUSTRE56K4KN20090721)

F-35 don't fail us now. :gomer:

cameraman
07-21-09, 04:37 PM
There will still be 180 of them hanging around, looking for a mission at an Air Force base near you.

nrc
07-21-09, 07:38 PM
There will still be 180 of them hanging around, looking for a mission at an Air Force base near you.

I hope you're right. That will mean that North Korea, China, Iran, and Russia have all behaved themselves and the Eagles haven't started falling out of the sky faster than we can replace them.

Ankf00
07-22-09, 04:23 AM
a) only russia's developing a 5th gen fighter (wth India, w00t!!!)

b) LO UCAVs have been in development for 10+ years, not the sexiest for PR, but at the front lines of DoD policy and strategy

coolhand
07-22-09, 03:57 PM
I bet the PAK-FA wont IOC until 2016 or something. Anything earlier than that would mean it is a turkey.

nrc
07-22-09, 04:08 PM
a) only russia's developing a 5th gen fighter (wth India, w00t!!!)
They're not going to leave the Raptor in the garage just because there are no 5th gen fighter threats. They would use the Raptor in any environment with active air defenses.

b) LO UCAVs have been in development for 10+ years, not the sexiest for PR, but at the front lines of DoD policy and strategy

LO UCAVs will be great if they don't turn out to be the world's most expensive target drones. We'll still need air dominance for them to operate with any kind of success rate.

Gnam
07-22-09, 05:18 PM
They're not going to leave the Raptor in the garage just because there are no 5th gen fighter threats. They would use the Raptor in any environment with active air defenses.

It will be interesting to see where/how they are deployed. Will they treat them like rare specimens to be used only in case of emergency, or wear 'em out in an attempt to demonstrate the need for more?

coolhand
07-22-09, 05:46 PM
Anyone of you seen Predator C photos?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predator_C

It is real and is flying. GA developed it on their own dime.

Gnam
07-22-09, 06:48 PM
Had not seen that. :thumbup:

I've heard Boeing's Hummingbird refered to as a 'stealth' aircraft but it might have more to do with being quiet than being invisible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_A160_Hummingbird

cameraman
07-22-09, 06:54 PM