PDA

View Full Version : Very good race...

Eagle104
03-23-03, 06:12 PM
....if I do say so (obviously)myself.;) :thumbup:

Tracy is driving very smart, these days.

Seb just needs to catch-a-break.

Bruno really put on a show in 'never-give-up'.

Great to see Tag show well for Gentilozzi.

Jourdain is still solid..and always fun to see a 'hometown' crowd happy.

Two very good races, so far this year.

RTKar
03-23-03, 06:56 PM
The big difference this year is traction control being gone but also the first two races this year were on wide enough circuits. It'll be interesting to see if the traditionally processional races will be improved without traction control. It's been so much more enjoyable watching the drivers fight the cars a little bit more than constantly having the proper grip.

Shadow
03-23-03, 07:50 PM
I wonder how much Paul is benefiting from the lack of the weight differential of prior years. Has there been any comment on that aspect? It was always felt the extra weight was costing him a quarter of a second per lap.

I wonder if "in his heart" Dario misses CART? I just can't believe he is with the IRL for anything other than the money MA/Honda offered him.

ChrisB
03-23-03, 08:01 PM
Good point about the weight equalization... maybe it was holding PT's back a bit.

Otherwise, a very good race... congrats to PT and Jourdain and the rest!

Hink
03-23-03, 09:50 PM
Tracy really drove away again - which is always good in my book.

Seeing the rookie charging from the back and blow it (like I've been saying about this kid) was funny. Some day he will come along and get the win once he keeps it off the fence.

DaveL
03-23-03, 10:25 PM
It was a decent race but by no means a classic. The elimination of traction control is making a huge difference and seperating the real drivers from the pretenders. That said, the guys who were Larry Foyt slow at St. Pete stayed much closer to the pace today and I would suspect they'll get better as the season goes on.

pchall
03-23-03, 11:02 PM
I enjoyed the race.

Tracy is the best, most complete driver out there right now and with probably the strongest team right now. He will continue to walk away with wins like this until the new teams settle down and the new drivers figure out how to race a champcar instead of just qualify.

Eagle104
03-24-03, 03:17 AM
Forgot to mention: great looking start, too.:thumbup:

Not much to gripe about this year, so far. The only downside is that too few get the chance to see the races. Either -- or both -- of those races would have been a good pick for network/b'cast tv.

oddlycalm
03-24-03, 05:12 PM
Agreed, a credible race. If Bordais can ever get past the fist stop it will be better. Traction control being gone combined with the great low end torque is pretty amusing at times. I really do think that CART is focused on improving the racing.

Tracy reminds me of his younger self. Regardless of equalization, the guy has lost major weight, and I suspect that he's invested a lot of time in physical conditioning. He's also gotten to a place where his attitude seems very positive, which I think is what reminds me of his younger days. Regardless, he's still exciting to watch, but is able to keep the car on the track while others are having frequent offs. Well earned victories IMO, particularly as he had to overcome his #1 nemesis, himself, to get it done.

turn1
03-24-03, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Shadow
I wonder how much Paul is benefiting from the lack of the weight differential of prior years. Has there been any comment on that aspect? It was always felt the extra weight was costing him a quarter of a second per lap.

One of the commentators mentioned the weight issue and indicated that his engineers have grumbled a LOT in the past regarding PTs weight issues. One must agree that less pounds will increase hi performance in a wide range of sectors....

racer2c
03-24-03, 05:21 PM
I'd like to remind everyone that I went waaay out on a limb and predicted a PT victory. I think I was the only one. (wink wink) ;)

Thread (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=927)