PDA

View Full Version : RIP Ak Miller

cameraman
12-21-05, 01:34 PM
He was a fixture out on the flats.

Ak Miller, a pioneer drag racer who helped found the National Hot Rod Association, has died at his Pico Rivera, Calif., home at the age of 84.

Miller, who died last week of a heart attack, was a racing driver and a car builder for six decades, reports The Los Angeles Times. He served twice as president of the Southern California Timing Association and was a charter member of the NHRA. He also won a place in the Dry Lakes Hall of Fame.

Miller had competed in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, Baja 1000 off-road races and events in Italy and Mexico. With Ray Brock as his crewman, Miller won in his class nine times at Pikes Peak and also won the 1963 Baja 1000, the Times reported.

Born Akton Moeller in Denmark, Miller migrated to California with his parents as a child. There will be no services as Miller had informed friends that his ashes be scattered at the Bonneville, Pikes Peak and Baja racecourses, the report said.

pchall
12-21-05, 05:26 PM
Wasn't it Ak Miller who ran in with Carerra Pan America with a hot rod Ford with a Model T body and kept the sports car gang worried?

http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/lg_1071_2_lg.jpg

Yup. Olds V8, ’50 Ford chassis, Model T body, and a Lincoln rear end.

cameraman
12-21-05, 05:51 PM
Now there is a design spec for the Indy 500.

A giant pile of parts, you build it and run what ya brung.

chop456
12-21-05, 06:26 PM
"Caballo de Hierro" :laugh:

(Okay, I had to look up 'hierro')

NismoZ
12-21-05, 06:27 PM
That's exactly what the 500 needs according to Andy Granetelli. I must admit it is the "stock" route I really thought The IG was going to take. Probably would have brought a lot more fan, sponsorship and participant interest. Maybe we'll find out when Honder tires of the whole mess. The Rolex Indy 500.

Rocketdoc
12-22-05, 12:45 AM
I can remember the ads in Hot Rod magazine when Ak Miller ran a 1956 Ford 312 over 150 MPH at Bonneville.

Thanks for the memories, Ak.