PDA

View Full Version : Team USA announced

dando
12-19-05, 11:37 PM
Something old, something new, no JR, and some Blues. :gomer:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/winter06/hockey/news/story?id=2265626

POS Hatcher still makes the team, tho. :flame:

Team Canucklehead will be announced Wed.

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-20-05, 12:21 AM
well, so much for medaling...

Dr. Corkski
12-20-05, 12:48 AM
Let's see:

-Overpaid, over the hill forwards
-Defense slower than a traffic cone or softer than Chrissy Simms
-Leaving the best goalie off the roster

Sounds like USA Hockey should be wearing these jerseys:
http://sportsgear-hockey.com/cbj/jersey-white-buy.jpg

dando
12-20-05, 12:49 AM
well, so much for medaling...
Nah...order up another bronze for the Yanks. :shakehead It's gonna be another Olympics b4 the the US Jr Team kids will make the team. :(

-Kevin

dando
12-20-05, 12:52 AM
Let's see:

-Overpaid, over the hill forwards
-Defense slower than a traffic cone or softer than Chrissy Simms
-Leaving the best goalie off the roster

Sounds like USA Hockey should be wearing these jerseys:
http://sportsgear-hockey.com/cbj/jersey-white-buy.jpg
I prefer the 3rd jersey, BTW. :)

CBJs new slogan:

We are the tallest dwarf.

:gomer:

-Kevin

Tifosi24
12-20-05, 12:59 AM
No medals for America with this roster. There is some solid younger talent there but Rick isn't going to get us to the promised land and the AARP member in Chelios is ridiculous. We need more Leopolds on the team and fewer Hatchers. Oh Phil Kessel I can't wait for 2010 when you will be riping it up for us.

Night Train
12-20-05, 01:33 AM
I can tell Waddell picked the team and not Laviolette. If you've watched the Hurricanes play this year ,you'd see that they have a lot of young, speedy players. In other words, the antithesis of this team.

Bleech.

dando
12-20-05, 12:07 PM
No medals for America with this roster. There is some solid younger talent there but Rick isn't going to get us to the promised land and the AARP member in Chelios is ridiculous. We need more Leopolds on the team and fewer Hatchers. Oh Phil Kessel I can't wait for 2010 when you will be riping it up for us.
You're making a big assumption on the Ricker being the #1 G (especially after last night's stellar .647 saves % performance). Hell, the CBJs scored 3 on him. Corky can tel you what that means. :gomer: IMHO, it's 50/50 b/w him and Bob.

-Kevin

KLang
12-20-05, 12:18 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/winter06/hockey/news/story?id=2265626

'All 23 players are in the NHL'.

I generally enjoy the olympics but I refuse to watch Hockey or Basketball since they let the pros play. :mad:

dando
12-20-05, 12:22 PM
'All 23 players are in the NHL'.

I generally enjoy the olympics but I refuse to watch Hockey or Basketball since they let the pros play. :mad:
The Olympics aren't the Olympics anymore, homey. It's just a big international hockey tourney these daze. We'll never see another miracle on ice...unless Japan somehow makes the show and upsets the Canucks to win the gold medal. :) The Deam Team seemed like a good idea @ the time, but the loss of amatuer atheletes in the Olympics has ruined the Olympic spirit, IMHO. But hey, progress is progress, and the times do change...just not always for the better. :(

-Kevin

TKGAngel
12-20-05, 01:17 PM
The Sabres, the #3 team in their conference and probably one of the hottest teams in the league right now, only get one lousy player on the team? :confused:

Nothing against Chris Drury, who is deserving, but you could argue that Tim Connolly and Ryan Miller deserved a shot. Connolly has really turned it on this year, turning into the offenesive threat he's supposed to be. Can someone also tell me how Esche - who is currently injured - was picked over Miller, who at least has recovered from an injury?

dando
12-20-05, 01:27 PM
The Sabres, the #3 team in their conference and probably one of the hottest teams in the league right now, only get one lousy player on the team? :confused:

Nothing against Chris Drury, who is deserving, but you could argue that Tim Connolly and Ryan Miller deserved a shot. Connolly has really turned it on this year, turning into the offenesive threat he's supposed to be. Can someone also tell me how Esche - who is currently injured - was picked over Miller, who at least has recovered from an injury?
All I can guess is they, errr Waddell, favored experience and past performance over youth and recent performance. Hell, I'm surpised they dint bring Housely back on D. :gomer:

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-20-05, 01:43 PM
The Olympics aren't the Olympics anymore, homey. It's just a big international hockey tourney these daze. We'll never see another miracle on ice...unless Japan somehow makes the show and upsets the Canucks to win the gold medal. :) The Deam Team seemed like a good idea @ the time, but the loss of amatuer atheletes in the Olympics has ruined the Olympic spirit, IMHO. But hey, progress is progress, and the times do change...just not always for the better. :(

-Kevin

so track athletes who collect pro paychecks shouldn't be running either? :saywhat:

as for sabres not making the team, this isn't the NHL all-star team where you're representing all the teams. this is the national team, it shouldn't make a diff if 0 or 10 ppl make it from any one club.

spinner26
12-20-05, 01:44 PM
With OUTSTANDING goalie play they MIGHT get a fourth, otherwise this is a 6th or 7th place team at best, considering what they are up against.

dando
12-20-05, 02:02 PM
so track athletes who collect pro paychecks shouldn't be running either? :saywhat:

They don't have pro track leagues, eh? It is what it is...the Dream Team opened up Pandora's Box, and the Olympics as we knew them were lost forever. The Olympics were always about amateur athletics and national spirit. Guys like Jim Thorpe lost medals they won due to pro contracts they had signed. Now it's simply a matter of show me the $$$. What's past is past, and it can't be changed. I can remember watching the Olympics since '76 (Jenner), and they changed ~'88, when I can remember getting geeked up for the mens volleyball, which is when Karch & crew were just getting out of college. Since '92 (Dream Team), it hasn't been the same, outside of the initial NHL forray into the Olympics and Herbie's return in '02, as more and more sports have taken over by pro athletes, which I can see on any given Sunday.

Unfortunately yer not old enough to remember them from back in the day, especially the Miracle on Ice. The kids beating the Soviet 'pro' team was incredible. Miracle is a fair representation of that event (and I've spoke w/Mike Eruzione about it, BTW), but it doesn't come close to matching the emotion of that moment in time.

-Kevin

RacinM3
12-20-05, 02:04 PM
Surprised Chelios is on there. Look for good things from Conroy, though, he's been on a tear lately!

Ankf00
12-20-05, 02:39 PM
They don't have pro track leagues, eh?

-Kevin

what do you think the world's top track & field athletes are doing in europe all summer? they're out earning their green.

Surprised Chelios is on there.

yea, they're going to have to install a handicap accessible portion along the bench to accomodate his walker. :gomer:

dando
12-20-05, 03:37 PM
what do you think the world's top track & field athletes are doing in europe all summer? they're out earning their green.

Meh, I said pro leagues. :gomer:

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
12-20-05, 04:37 PM
You're making a big assumption on the Ricker being the #1 G (especially after last night's stellar .647 saves % performance). Hell, the CBJs scored 3 on him. Corky can tel you what that means. :gomer: IMHO, it's 50/50 b/w him and Bob.

-KevinIn The Rick's defense (since his idiot GM didn't give him one this year) he is playing behind a pretty bad defensive team. That being said the dude has always been streaky and you never know game in or game out whether he is going to show up. Esche has been somewhat shakey on a good team and Grahame has been even worse. Leave it to Waddell to leave the only goalie that has been consistent (Ryan Miller) off the roster.

Kazakhstan has a better chance of medaling than this team.

Ankf00
12-20-05, 06:41 PM
Meh, I said pro leagues. :gomer:

-Kevin

ATP, WTA? :gomer:

Kazakhstan has a better chance of medaling than this team.

Nabokov will annihilate the capitalist pigs!!!

TKGAngel
12-20-05, 08:06 PM
as for sabres not making the team, this isn't the NHL all-star team where you're representing all the teams. this is the national team, it shouldn't make a diff if 0 or 10 ppl make it from any one club.

I never said it was a popularity contest. My point was that Miller - who is healthy - wasn't selected, because a goalie (Esche) who is injured was selected. How does that work? Miller has a lower GAA, and a higher save percentage. In fact, Miller has a higher stats than DiPietro and Graham (stats courtesy of nhl.com).

As for Connolly, his game is based on the wide open speedy style of play seen in the international game. Sure him and Miller have little international experience, but so did that group of 20-somethings in 1980, and look what happened.

Dr. Corkski
12-20-05, 08:38 PM
Nabokov will annihilate the capitalist pigs!!! Nabokov is a traitor that will be playing for Russia. Vitaliy "The Mullet" Kolesnik will crush him like Stalin.

BTW, when a Buffalo Sabre gets selected for anything, you can be sure it's anything but a popularity contest. :laugh:

trauma1
12-21-05, 03:38 PM
I prefer the 3rd jersey, BTW. :)

CBJs new slogan:

We are the tallest dwarf.

:gomer:

-Kevin
btw we want our coach back in grand forks, thieves :rofl:

dando
12-21-05, 04:22 PM
btw we want our coach back in grand forks, thieves :rofl:
No way. He'll be our head coach shortly. ;)

-Kevin