PDA

View Full Version : MiJack to buy Cleveland GP?

cameraman
12-18-05, 01:06 AM
According to the Cleveland newspaper, The Plain Dealer, it might just be so.

The Grand Prix of Cleveland race, which will celebrate its 25th anniversary in June, is on the verge of getting a new owner. Rena Shanaman, managing director of the event, would identify the new ownership only as "local business interests." The race is scheduled for June 23-25. Champ Car caught the eye of many last summer when both old and new road racing venues, including Cleveland, had increases in attendance numbers. While the Grand Prix of Cleveland would not release 2004 attendance figures, Champ Car said the 89,788 people who attended last season's race weekend were an increase from 2004.

It has been reported that Mi-Jack, the owner of the Houston race, is looking for more races to put under its umbrella. The worldwide equipment and transportation business has offices and terminals in Cleveland.

Mi-Jack will also sponsor the car of Toyota Atlantic series driver Graham Rahal, son of Medina-born race team owner Bobby Rahal. The elder Rahal is a former Indianapolis 500 winner as a driver, who was team owner for 2004 Indy winner Buddy Rice and currently guides an Indy Racing League team that includes driver Danica Patrick.

"This will not be a temporary fix, but a long-term solution for the Cleveland race," Shanaman said of the new owners' investment.

The rest of the story (http://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/sports/1134725473149830.xml?sxcar&coll=2)

Houston and now Cleveland. Interesting.

devilmaster
12-18-05, 01:20 AM
Unfortunately, Mi-Jack wasn't willing to give Conquest more money though. Ranger's agent had to secure a hundred grand loan to allow Andrew to keep racing through the season.

Methinks that had an detrimental effect on him because he couldn't afford to destroy equipment anymore, ergo he didn't push hard the 2nd half of the season.

cameraman
12-18-05, 01:31 AM
They were not willing to fund Ranger wadding up a car every second race.

Learning how not to wreck is probably a good thing.

devilmaster
12-18-05, 01:46 AM
They were not willing to fund Ranger wadding up a car every second race.

Learning how not to wreck is probably a good thing.

I agree in that sense, although Conquest is not a top tier team and from what people like robin have reported and such, its not a top team because they are a small budget team.

All I'm saying is that if Mi-Jack is buying into the series more, great, hopefully they will also up their commitment to the team that has their logo on the car and in the team name.

chop456
12-18-05, 09:02 AM
Maybe buying the race was cheaper than the pile of wrecked tubs. :D

Stu
12-18-05, 09:39 AM
Shanaman indicated, once the deal is finalized, the initial pact could be for up to five years. She said an official announcement could be expected early in January.

Last paragraph of the article.

5 years? Maybe SOG will be able to attend one of those if he can fit it into his schedule.

Sean O'Gorman
12-18-05, 10:50 PM
huhu

driving > spectating

I'll be there if i decide not to run the DC Prosolo, but even if I do go to the race on Sunday, I'll be at Mid-Ohio on Saturday for Grand-Am. ;)

Wheel-Nut
12-19-05, 10:56 AM
Maybe buying the race was cheaper than the pile of wrecked tubs. :D

Exactly . . . bonus $$ if the Mi-Jack drivers hits one of the Mi-Jack banners on the walls? :D