PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 1.5

WickerBill
12-16-05, 09:50 AM
Anyone using it? What's the compatibility like with all of the extensions and themes I've got on my FF 1.0?

racer2c
12-16-05, 10:21 AM
Anyone using it? What's the compatibility like with all of the extensions and themes I've got on my FF 1.0?

I've been on 1.5 for about two weeks. Some extensions have not been updated to support it. It still has issues with some Flash sites. Great browser though.

devilmaster
12-30-05, 10:31 AM
Hmm. :confused:

I've been running firefox 1.5 for a week now, and I gots a problem with it. Its a cpu hog. I got a funny feeling that one of the old extensions isn't playing right with it.

It constantly hogs 60 to 80% of the cpu even when its not accessing pages - which naturally gives a natural 'hang' to the system for a second or two when its active.

I'm playing with it some more, just wondering if anyone else has either seen or heard what i'm seeing here.

dando
12-30-05, 10:38 AM
Hmm. :confused:

I've been running firefox 1.5 for a week now, and I gots a problem with it. Its a cpu hog. I got a funny feeling that one of the old extensions isn't playing right with it.

It easily and constantly hugs 60 to 80% of the cpu even when its not accessing pages - which naturally gives a natural 'hang' to the system for a second or two when its active.

I'm playing with it some more, just wondering if anyone else has either seen or heard what i'm seeing here.
Yeah, I've been lagging more frequently of late, but I havevn't bothered to investigate it yet (it is college bowl week, ya know). The only significant change I've made the past couple of weeks has been to install 1.5, so that's likely the cause of the probs I'm seeing as well. Time to start watching the system monitoring tools now....

-Kevin

devilmaster
12-30-05, 10:43 AM
actually, just found my problem.... extension torrenttools ver 1.002

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1346&application=firefox

there are a couple other torrentsearch bars other than this one.... don't bother with it.

EDwardo
12-30-05, 11:04 AM
magpie tools don't work with it.

chop456
12-30-05, 12:39 PM
magpie tools don't work with it.

http://home.wi.rr.com/chop456/magpie.jpg

Wheel-Nut
12-30-05, 12:47 PM
Not trying to start anything here BUT . . .

Do you guys really like FireFox? I gave it a try about a year ago and just couldn't get anything to work with it. I even had our IT guy spend some time setting it up but I couldn't get used to it.

I've been using MS Explorer and don't have any of the troubles people always seem to have with it. I keep the virus software updated daily and no problems.

I just don't get the "greatness" of FireFox.

dando
12-30-05, 01:03 PM

Do you guys really like FireFox? I gave it a try about a year ago and just couldn't get anything to work with it. I even had our IT guy spend some time setting it up but I couldn't get used to it.

I've been using MS Explorer and don't have any of the troubles people always seem to have with it. I keep the virus software updated daily and no problems.

Well for one, tabbed browsing is the bomb. The rendering engine has been proven to be faster than IE. Site compatibility and rendering issues are almost nill these days. The only sites I have issues with are those using CraptiveX controls. IE 7.0 will add tabbed browsing, but I'm not sure about other features or security fixes.

Step away from the MSFT crack.... :)

-Kevin

RichK
12-30-05, 01:19 PM
I like Firefox, but I've always had a problem with SpeedTV.com. When I browse to an article (but NOT the main article page), like here:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/21362/

all I see is a gray page, and I have to scroll WAY down to see the article. Never could figure this one out, so I just live with it.

Anyone else ever see this?

IlliniRacer
12-30-05, 01:21 PM

I'd be lost without the AutoCopy and Mouse Gesture Extensions.
I've also made the switch to Thunderbird. (http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/) My father-in-law asked me a question about Outlook the other day and couldn't for the life of me remember how it worked. :)

WickerBill
12-30-05, 01:22 PM
Listen, I do Microsoft for a living and largely sing their praises. I am not an anti-MS fanboy who switched to FF to get away from evil Bill Gates. I switched simply because of three things:

1. Extensions for Firefox are spectacular. The important ones I currently use are ForecastFox (puts the weather in my status bar), Copy as Plain Text, Adblock (the biggie), SwitchProxy -- I couldn't go back to not having those.

2. No popups or flashing banner ads, especially with Adblock. When I go back to IE and look at the same pages, it's hideous.

3. No ActiveX. Yes, I actually view this as a very big positive. Code your pages based on standards, you tools.

Cam
12-30-05, 01:40 PM
I like Firefox, but I've always had a problem with SpeedTV.com. When I browse to an article (but NOT the main article page), like here:

all I see is a gray page, and I have to scroll WAY down to see the article. Never could figure this one out, so I just live with it.

Yeah I get the same thing. I always figured it was something to do with Macromedia being borked. It renders correctly using Opera, with the same version of Flash tho, so I dunno what's causing it. Too damn lazy to look at the source code from Speed to if they are putting in some oddball code that may be causing it. :gomer:

dando
12-30-05, 01:48 PM

I see this occasionally, but usually when I refresh the page, it renders correctly.

-Kevin

jcollins28
12-30-05, 02:01 PM
I have 1.5 and it seems to crash a lot? However I can live with it because of one thing, FOXY TUNES!!!! If you like to listen to music while you surf this extension is made for you. Like another poster said though 1.5 seems a bit buggy. I'm not worried though i just need to find the time to dig and figure out what it is that is not playing right and figure it out. Although i would not be surprise if there was an update posted here shortly.

Sean O'Gorman
12-30-05, 02:38 PM
I just use Firefox for the tabs. I loved the Netscape browser but it is way too buggy.

dando
12-30-05, 03:41 PM
I just use Firefox for the tabs. I loved the Netscape browser but it is way too buggy.

NS 8.x?

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
12-30-05, 03:41 PM
yes

dando
12-30-05, 03:46 PM
yes
Oh, if you only knew.... :) :saywhat: :shakehead

8.2 should be released shortly, but I doubt it will be bug free either. :(

-Kevin

Insomniac
12-30-05, 04:28 PM

All the time. Every now and then I don't have to scroll down. I live with it. :)

Insomniac
12-30-05, 04:30 PM
Firefox has always been a memory hog too. They could really improve that. That would make me very happy.

devilmaster
12-30-05, 05:43 PM
I have 1.5 and it seems to crash a lot? However I can live with it because of one thing, FOXY TUNES!!!! If you like to listen to music while you surf this extension is made for you. Like another poster said though 1.5 seems a bit buggy. I'm not worried though i just need to find the time to dig and figure out what it is that is not playing right and figure it out. Although i would not be surprise if there was an update posted here shortly.

Check the extensions you have, and look them up at the mozilla website. There may be a review of a certain extension that may be causing the lockup. (i noticed a few lockup complaints with a different torrent bar than the one I got rid of today.)

And foxytunes is the cat's meow. I also like firefox for bugmenot.

devilmaster
12-30-05, 05:46 PM
I am not an anti-MS fanboy who switched to FF to get away from evil Bill Gates.

But you may be someday there boss..... ;)

Like the times you have to have to pull 40 hour shifts cause of the next exploit.

WickerBill
12-30-05, 06:31 PM
You mean like the one that came out two days ago? Ha! And the one scheduled for January 5th, my daughter's 10th birthday? Ha!

(not to derail the topic, but you all know that if your precious linux had 92% market share they'd have just as many vulnerabilities exposed; in fact I think there are many more attack vectors for *nix than Win32...)

Hard Driver
12-30-05, 07:01 PM
Using it. Basically use it because I like the tabbed browsing. I don't need seperate pop-up blockers. And I am an IT guy that dislikes the monopoly abuse of Microsoft, and I want to add my tiny slice of non-ms browsers so that sites are forced to code to standards. Also it does not get infected with adware and spyware like MS does.

Insomniac
12-30-05, 07:47 PM
But you may be someday there boss..... ;)

Like the times you have to have to pull 40 hour shifts cause of the next exploit.

Why do you have to pull a 40 hour shift when an exploit is discovered?

Insomniac
12-30-05, 07:48 PM
And foxytunes is the cat's meow. I also like firefox for bugmenot.

It doesn't seem to work anymore for me.

devilmaster
12-31-05, 12:51 AM
Why do you have to pull a 40 hour shift when an exploit is discovered?

That comment was to a thread on here that I can't find. ;)

A couple years back, there was that Windows exploit that would continually shut down systems if infected. (not remembering what it was exactly, but a changed Remote procedure call comes to mind.) anyways, there was a thread here warning people of it, and how to temporarily stop the shutdowns so you could fix the problem.

WB came on with a post about how he'd been working non-stop for a good few days trying to get all the systems at the company he worked at, at the time, fixed. The comment from his post I remember was - 'to all you Linux/Open source people, I can't begin to stress how I don't want to hear from you right now' ;) :D

devilmaster
12-31-05, 01:02 AM
That comment was to a thread on here that I can't find.

WB came on with a post about how he'd been working non-stop for a good few days trying to get all the systems at the company he worked at, at the time, fixed. The comment from his post I remember was - 'to all you Linux/Open source people, I can't begin to stress how I don't want to hear from you right now'

Well, I found the thread:

Wow. :eek: I'm really impressed with my rapidly failing memory. I actually got most of that above post right! And I don't remember getting that pint of Guinness from Aaron.... Mr nz_climber, you gonna pay up soon? ;)

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2269&page=1&pp=25

nrc
12-31-05, 02:27 AM
(not to derail the topic, but you all know that if your precious linux had 92% market share they'd have just as many vulnerabilities exposed; in fact I think there are many more attack vectors for *nix than Win32...)

I guess you're assuming that in such a marketplace we'd have Microsoft Linux. :)

The bigger Linux's market share the more exploits will be found. But I still believe that they'd generally be lesser impact and quicker to be fixed.

Ultimately I'd rather not have any OS (or browser, to get within a stone's throw of the original topic) with 92% of the market. A more diverse marketplace based on open standards and protocols would be the best environment for resisting massive virus outbreaks.

pfc_m_drake
12-31-05, 01:50 PM
On the topic of Firefox extensions, I found this link on another website that I read today. It's a page containing links to the 'Top 50' Firefox extensions, just in case anybody's interested.

http://pchere.blogspot.com/2005/12/50-best-firefox-extensions-for-power.html

Insomniac
01-01-06, 12:03 PM
That comment was to a thread on here that I can't find. ;)

A couple years back, there was that Windows exploit that would continually shut down systems if infected. (not remembering what it was exactly, but a changed Remote procedure call comes to mind.) anyways, there was a thread here warning people of it, and how to temporarily stop the shutdowns so you could fix the problem.

WB came on with a post about how he'd been working non-stop for a good few days trying to get all the systems at the company he worked at, at the time, fixed. The comment from his post I remember was - 'to all you Linux/Open source people, I can't begin to stress how I don't want to hear from you right now' ;) :D

I see. I think Microsoft has helped a lot by finally adding the automatic updates (I'm not sure what versions it is for, I know 2K and XP at least.). I can't think of a virus/trojan hitting that didn't take advantage of a known flaw until some time after it was discovered and a patch was already available. The true hackers wouldn't bother trying to do a mass exploit or publicize the security hole. System Administrators have a tough job. They have to stay on top of every patch that is released for all software on all machines they administer. A missed patch could wreak all kinds of havoc. Working besides a group of people that NASA sub-contracts out all the IT to, I've seen how hard they work and how vigilant they are. They have never been hacked or exploited which is a testament to their hard word ansd security processes. (NOTE: Before everyone starts calling me a liar, this is not all of NASA, just one specific facility.)

Insomniac
01-01-06, 12:06 PM
The bigger Linux's market share the more exploits will be found. But I still believe that they'd generally be lesser impact and quicker to be fixed.

This makes it potentially just as scary to run Mac OS or Linux as it does Windows IMO. How many secuirty holes are there that are not disclosed by people who found them? And they are just being quietly exploited.

nrc
01-01-06, 07:05 PM
I can't think of a virus/trojan hitting that didn't take advantage of a known flaw until some time after it was discovered and a patch was already available. The true hackers wouldn't bother trying to do a mass exploit or publicize the security hole. System Administrators have a tough job. They have to stay on top of every patch that is released for all software on all machines they administer. A missed patch could wreak all kinds of havoc.

It still happens more frequently than it should. There are exploits for unpatched security issues out there right now. There are also cases where MS issues work-arounds rather than patches and automated updates don't cover that.

It amazes me how painful the Windows patch process is for our Windows guys. I have a single Web view of all our Linux systems that shows the patch status of every single one of them. I can push updates out to any machine. Most of them don't require a reboot, all the dependancies are figured out automatically and they rarely break something that was working before. This all comes as part of our base RedHat license but there are free tools that will do basically the same thing.

dando
01-02-06, 09:14 PM
Need we say more:

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/0d644d5e-7bb3-11da-ab8e-0000779e2340.html (http://)

:(

-Kevin

racer2c
01-02-06, 10:02 PM
Need we say more:

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/0d644d5e-7bb3-11da-ab8e-0000779e2340.html (http://)

:(

-Kevin

Dead link.

mapguy
01-02-06, 10:11 PM
I have had no problems at all with 1.5. None, nada.

dando
01-02-06, 10:48 PM
Dead link.
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/0d644d5e-7bb3-11da-ab8e-0000779e2340.html

Try dat linkage.

-Kevin

Clown
01-03-06, 02:15 AM
It constantly hogs 60 to 80% of the cpu even when its not accessing pages - which naturally gives a natural 'hang' to the system for a second or two when its active.Really? Runs way faster (than older builds) on my POS penguin box....

devilmaster
01-03-06, 03:57 AM
Really? Runs way faster (than older builds) on my POS penguin box....

I found the problem and posted a reply earlier in the thread regarding it.... it was an extension that was a cpu hog.... torrenttools ver 1.002.

Removed it, works beautifully now.

And since I've re-read this thread - I'm not completely sure, but it sounds like people think I'm a linux snob - which i'm not.

In fact the thread i started here about knoppix was the first time one of my monitors has even shown linux through its tubes. If knoppix wasn't on a standalone CD, I probably still would have never run it on one of my systems. But i know a few people who swear by it, (just as my programmer friend was throwing a copy of knoppix my way, he's working with ubuntu.)

The whole sidetrack about WB's job was just a thread I remembered from a few years ago, and I brought it back up.....

Insomniac
01-03-06, 12:43 PM
It still happens more frequently than it should. There are exploits for unpatched security issues out there right now. There are also cases where MS issues work-arounds rather than patches and automated updates don't cover that.

It amazes me how painful the Windows patch process is for our Windows guys. I have a single Web view of all our Linux systems that shows the patch status of every single one of them. I can push updates out to any machine. Most of them don't require a reboot, all the dependancies are figured out automatically and they rarely break something that was working before. This all comes as part of our base RedHat license but there are free tools that will do basically the same thing.

Ohhh, okay. The PCs at NASA are quite locked down. They have a lot more security than just Windows obviously. They are able to poush updates down and I'd say the only time a reboot is needed is when a mjopr update is sent (like switching from Office 2000 to 2003). I would guess there are similar tools for Windows.

nrc
01-03-06, 12:54 PM
Ohhh, okay. The PCs at NASA are quite locked down. They have a lot more security than just Windows obviously. They are able to poush updates down and I'd say the only time a reboot is needed is when a mjopr update is sent (like switching from Office 2000 to 2003). I would guess there are similar tools for Windows.

Ye$, all of tho$e feature$ are available for Window$. Our Window$ guy$ u$e Micro$oft$ $M$ package. They $till $eem to reboot for a lot of their update$.

nz_climber
01-03-06, 05:30 PM
steve: still got that beer sitting here waiting for you - you just have to come pick it up ;)

Turn7
01-04-06, 10:48 AM
I have to ftp files back and forth with India, a bunch. FireFTP is muy bueno.

I am noticing some issues with 1.5. On 3 occasions now, there seems to be a "persistant instance" of the program running after I close the program. If I try to launch firefox after I have previously shut it down and all I get is a hourglass for about 30 seconds or so and then nothing, I have to go into task manager and kill the persistant instance of firefox before it will start again.

That is the biggest problem I have encountered as of yet.

Cam
01-04-06, 10:54 AM
I have to ftp files back and forth with India, a bunch. FireFTP is muy bueno.

I am noticing some issues with 1.5. On 3 occasions now, there seems to be a "persistant instance" of the program running after I close the program. If I try to launch firefox after I have previously shut it down and all I get is a hourglass for about 30 seconds or so and then nothing, I have to go into task manager and kill the persistant instance of firefox before it will start again.

That is the biggest problem I have encountered as of yet.

Check your version of the Java plugin...

Turn7
01-04-06, 11:19 AM
Check your version of the Java plugin...

Toos|Options|Downloads|Plugins shows that I don't have one loaded, would that be the issue?

Cam
01-04-06, 11:57 AM
Toos|Options|Downloads|Plugins shows that I don't have one loaded, would that be the issue?

about:plugins

Turn7
01-04-06, 12:04 PM
about?

hold my hand I suppose cause Im not getting it.

Cam
01-04-06, 12:09 PM
about?

hold my hand I suppose cause Im not getting it.

Plug into the location bar exactly what I put above. It will give detailed info on the all plugins installed including the version.

Turn7
01-04-06, 12:15 PM
Is this correct for 1.5?

Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update 4

File name: NPJPI150_04.dll
Java Plug-in 1.5.0_04 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.5.0_04 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.5.0_04 JavaBeans Yes

File name: NPOJI610.dll

application/x-java-vm Java Yes

File name: NPJava11.dll

application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean JavaBeans Yes

File name: NPJava12.dll

application/x-java-applet;version=1.2 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2 JavaBeans Yes

File name: NPJava13.dll

application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3.1 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.1 JavaBeans Yes

File name: NPJava14.dll

application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.2 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.5 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.5 JavaBeans Yes

File name: NPJava32.dll

application/x-java-applet;version=1.3 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1 JavaBeans Yes
Microsoft® DRM

Cam
01-04-06, 12:37 PM
Theres an Update 6 out there, but I doubt that it is the problem. I have seen it with older versions of Java it would cause things to quit funtioning and leave behind the zombi processes like you describe. Have not had it happen since JRE 5.0 tho. Let me think on it a little more.

G.
01-04-06, 01:45 PM
I see. I think Microsoft has helped a lot by finally adding the automatic updates (I'm not sure what versions it is for, I know 2K and XP at least.)Do you guys just let MS push patches out to your OS willynilly? I would think that someday the patch is going to **** with something else you have running, after which BSOD ensues.

I just do manual updates, after setting a recover point up, of course.

Cam
01-04-06, 02:09 PM
Does this (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=239223) look familliar T7?

Turn7
01-04-06, 04:03 PM
Does this (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=239223) look familliar T7?

Yes. Some of it. I'll have to fiddle with it when I get back home and see if I can start disabling some of the extensions.

Thanks for the research Cam!.

Insomniac
01-04-06, 07:58 PM
Do you guys just let MS push patches out to your OS willynilly? I would think that someday the patch is going to **** with something else you have running, after which BSOD ensues.

I'm not sure what their procedure is. I do know no one has to do anything except leave their PCs on. :) Never seen a BSOD. But, like I said, the PCs are locked down. We can only install a few optional programs.

G.
01-05-06, 01:44 AM
Never seen a BSOD. .
YOU'RE THE ONE!!!!!

BSOD= Blue Screen Of Death.

You know, when Winders hangs up. :)

Insomniac
01-05-06, 08:36 AM
YOU'RE THE ONE!!!!!

BSOD= Blue Screen Of Death.

You know, when Winders hangs up. :)

I've definitely seen them many a time. I just meant on my work computer not adminstered by me. It was a surreal experience going from Windows 98 SE to 2000. Had no idea BSOD didn't have to be a feature. ;)

KLang
01-05-06, 10:28 AM
Do you guys just let MS push patches out to your OS willynilly? I would think that someday the patch is going to **** with something else you have running, after which BSOD ensues.

On our home pc's we do take the automatic updates and have never had any problems. At work our firewall won't allow the connection, so i take my work laptop and get the updates through my home network.