PDA

View Full Version : Marco in for Wheldon: Didn't see this one coming

rabbit
12-15-05, 12:06 AM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/21251/

Last month in Mexico City veteran motorsports journalist Gordon Kirby declared that Michael Andretti would come out of retirement to run next year's Indianapolis 500 so he could tutor son Marco, who would be taking Dan Wheldon's seat in the Indy Racing League for 2006.

The assembled media Kirby was addressing nodded our heads like it was possible but all of us quietly chuckled at this preposterous prediction and passed it off as Kirbs spending too much time alone in the woods of New Hampshire.

Well, it turns out 'ol Kirbs was right on the money.

Because SPEEDTV.com has learned that this improbable scenario is going to become a reality.

Marco Andretti will be joining Dario Franchitti, Tony Kanaan and Bryan Herta on the IRL's most dominating team in '06 and his father, the all-time winner in CART who quit racing following the 2003 Indy 500, will be in a fifth car for May.

trish
12-15-05, 12:21 AM
That Michael would use his son and potentially ruin his career for personal gain?

dando
12-15-05, 12:24 AM
And we will yet again hear the immortal words:

Andretti slows on the backstretch!

:D

-Kevin

Lizzerd
12-15-05, 01:01 AM
Mikey should be arrested for child abuse. :mad: :thumdown:

indyfan31
12-15-05, 01:03 AM
Let's see, replace the league's champion with an 18 year old rookie out of Star Mazda who's name happens to be Andretti and would bring gobs of publicity to the league. Yup, that sounds like Mikey.

Lizzerd
12-15-05, 01:14 AM
Let's see, replace the league's champion with an 18 year old rookie out of Star Mazda who's name happens to be Andretti and would bring gobs of publicity to the league. Yup, that sounds like Mikey.

It also sounds like TG writing a check with a big number on it. Has Danicamania faded to Marcomania? Gotta have those publicity stunts, you know...

Brickman
12-15-05, 01:29 AM
absurd
asinine
crazy
foolish
idiotic
illogical
inane
loony
ludicrous
screwy
stupid
utterly stupid

IMHO

CART License
12-15-05, 03:06 AM
slow on the uptake
dim-witted
unwise
dull
dim

I hope he lives thru this, I’m sure MA call up does not have his grand dad’s blessing

fourrunner
12-15-05, 09:44 AM
I'm sure Tony George "Begged" Michael to do this .... Mike's unrequited Love for Tony know's no bounds, so his son became secondary ... This is an "In Your Face" to Mario also ...

You must remember Both Tony & Michael will always be the "lesser" descendents .... playing forever in the Shadow of Greatness... footnotes to the Men that made History !! !

The IRL is Desperate to grab the headlines early!!

chop456
12-15-05, 10:01 AM
It's not just tigers that eat their young.

NismoZ
12-15-05, 10:16 AM
Sickening and disheartening.

Skater_36
12-15-05, 10:19 AM
Bad idea. :shakehead

I have to wonder if this is an early indication of what lengths the IRL will need to go to in order to fill out the field for the 500.

NismoZ
12-15-05, 10:36 AM
No need wondering. Get the kid a huge hunk of cash now because there may be none after next season. Perhaps Indy can become "The Road To Formula Atlantic!"

KLang
12-15-05, 10:39 AM
Wonder what lap Marco and Danica will take each other out? Then watch the ratings plummet as the world changes the channel.

Don Quixote
12-15-05, 10:43 AM
Michael is a piece of crap. The downside to this stunt is too horrible to think about. :mad:

Ankf00
12-15-05, 11:00 AM
How could he let his own child put himself in that kind of risk :saywhat:

what a money-whore.

tllips
12-15-05, 11:02 AM
Next we'll hear that Rahal/Letterman racing will add two cars for Indy - Booby and Graham. :shakehead

spinner26
12-15-05, 11:34 AM
Can Marco's mother file child abuse charges before it happens? What a fricken joke! This guy is loser!

KLang
12-15-05, 12:05 PM
Next we'll hear that Rahal/Letterman racing will add two cars for Indy - Booby and Graham. :shakehead

Graham will be busy racing in Atlantics in Houston and Monterrey the 13th and 21st. Lots bad can be said about Booby, but at least he isn't doing to his son what Mikey is.

Don Quixote
12-15-05, 12:15 PM
Graham will be busy racing in Atlantics in Houston and Monterrey the 13th and 21st. Lots bad can be said about Booby, but at least he isn't doing to his son what Mikey is.
You might be right, but I will reserve judgement until May comes and goes. I think Rahal is capable of the same nonsense, especially if tonybucks are involved.

Cam
12-15-05, 12:31 PM
Two words. Adam Petty. :(

Oh.... And does this meean we will get to see all those damn pit shots of Sandy and her gaudy hats again. :rolleyes:

NismoZ
12-15-05, 12:48 PM
Graham Rahal will run at Indy next season...in front of the F-1 crowd in the IPS race on July 1st. He is very certain that his future is in road racing and the only mention made of his father is in regards to entering the ALMS at some point. He does not trash Indy or oval racing but is clear in saying road racers have to be more skilled drivers. At 16 and 6'-2" he also says he hopes he's finished growing! :)

Insomniac
12-15-05, 12:54 PM
You forget he also let his Dad take a spin too. Hate to think about what would happen if the car didn't land on it's wheels.

I personally don't understand who would risk their ability to walk when a rearward crash almost guarantees a broken back.

Brickman
12-15-05, 12:57 PM
Would opinions differ if he just entered the races at Watlkins Glen, St. Pet, and Sears Point?

chop456
12-15-05, 12:59 PM
At 16 and 6'-2"

Interesting.

How tall is Bobby?

TKGAngel
12-15-05, 01:28 PM
I thought it was very interesting that Marco would go talk to Vasser about what he should do. I feel bad for the kid, since from the tone of RM's piece, it really sounds like he's caught in the crossfire between his father and grandfather. However, the kid has proven successful only on road courses. Wouldnt it make sense to let him go to a series where he could thrive and improve his skills, or am I just making sense?

I would admit, it would be cool to once again have an Andretti and a Rahal in the CCWS world again. That would be one heck of a promo campaign. But, if wishing made it so.

I wonder how this is going to effect the AGR team dynamic. The 'he's the boss' son, so he gets the better stuff' factor could appear, and then it could get ugly at AGR, considering the egos of the other three.

rabbit
12-15-05, 01:32 PM
I can't get over Andretti the Lesser coming out of retirement. How desperate is the IRL when they have to drag a washed-up has-been out of retirement? Where's Joe Tanto when you need him?

Ozarkian
12-15-05, 01:36 PM
I have to wonder if this is an early indication of what lengths the IRL will need to go to in order to fill out the field for the 500.

Probably.

The more I've thought about this, the more despicable it has become. From Michael all the way down to Tony George.

NismoZ
12-15-05, 01:41 PM
"The other three, +1" were joking a LONG time ago about who would have to go WHEN Marco moved up. Maybe Danny just drew a short straw. Actually Michael has said "Wheldon threw a wrench into a lot of what we wanted to do next year." Whether that referred to Marco doing something else or Michael driving in the 500, I don't know but I do think Marco's learning curve was made a lot tighter by Wheldon's move. I hope CC can avoid a similar reaction as regards Legge's future.

Fio1
12-15-05, 02:13 PM
Well Marco, you listened to the wrong Andretti! Listen to the World Champion and multi-time Indy Car champion, not to mention the one that actually WON the Indy 500. Not the one that is famous in Europe for causing more first lap crashes in F1 then Andrea DeCesaris...... :rolleyes:

Chitowncartfreak
12-15-05, 02:13 PM
Interesting.

How tall is Bobby?

He's tall - about 6'1". 6'5" with the Sleep Cheap hat.

FTG
12-15-05, 02:58 PM
Bet Mario joins the field too. "Danica Patrick takes on 3 generations of Andrettis." Then Honda finishes the season with 12 cars.

fourrunner
12-15-05, 03:44 PM
Would opinions differ if he just entered the races at Watlkins Glen, St. Pet, and Sears Point?

Makes more sense, at this stage !!

Joe in LA
12-15-05, 04:03 PM
Bet Mario joins the field too. "Danica Patrick takes on 3 generations of Andrettis." Then Honda finishes the season with 12 cars.

Fill out the field then by adding Al, Al Jr. and Just Al, along with Arie and Arie, Jr. They can have "bring your child to race week".

Insomniac
12-16-05, 08:21 AM

Mine would. Free to race anywhere, ChampCar, IRL or whatever. Not going to see many back-breaking rear entry crashes on a road course.

Insomniac
12-16-05, 08:24 AM
Fill out the field then by adding Al, Al Jr. and Just Al, along with Arie and Arie, Jr. They can have "bring your child to race week".

Danica's mom too. She can just wreck people instead of cheering/hoping they wreck.

Accipiter
12-16-05, 01:15 PM
Poor kid.

Gnam
12-16-05, 01:32 PM
Worse than a stocking full of coal. :thumdown:

Methanolandbrats
12-16-05, 08:25 PM
Marco Andretti, well who gives a ****. He's 18 years old, not six. He could tell his dad he does'nt want to end up a bag of bone fragments and bolts like Uncle Jeff.....but he did'nt. That whole family has Indyitis and is as relevant to Champcars future as Foyt's Spawn or Barney Oldfields great-grandson. People have to get over obsessing about Indy/Unser/Rahole/Andretti/IRL/IMS ********. Champcar has turned the corner and NONE of those old-time Gomers matter. I've said for years the only way for FTG to "save" the 500 is to turn it into a nostalgia swap meet and vintage race and that's exactly where it is headed. Champcar needs no part of that crap.

L1P1
12-16-05, 09:54 PM
"Oh C'mon dad! Larry's dad let him race the Indy 500..."

race chica
12-17-05, 02:07 AM
absurd
asinine
crazy
foolish
idiotic
illogical
inane
loony
ludicrous
screwy
stupid
utterly stupid

IMHO

agreed

rabbit
12-19-05, 09:25 PM
AP just moved:

^BC-CAR--IRL-Andretti, 1st Ld-Writethru,0596
^Michael Andretti expected to make Indy 500 return
^Eds: AMs. LEADS thruout with background and details.
^By MICHAEL MAROT=
^AP Sports Writer=
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Drivers, get ready to face the Andrettis at Indy — again.
Michael Andretti was expected to announce Tuesday that he will drive in next year's Indianapolis 500 after a two-year absence from the driver's seat, taking another shot at the checkered flag that so famously eluded him during an otherwise stellar career.
His son, Marco, also will become a third-generation Andretti driver with a full-time spot in the Indy Racing League during 2006 for Andretti Green Racing. The team, which is co-owned by Michael Andretti, scheduled a news conference for Tuesday morning to announce its 2006 plans.
An IRL official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the team's announcement was pending, confirmed the news to The Associated Press on Monday.
Andretti's team won this year's race with driver Dan Wheldon, who also won the 2005 IRL championship but said last month he is leaving Andretti to drive for Target Chip Ganassi Racing next season.
Marco, who will turn 19 in March, would replace Wheldon. Andretti has three other full-time drivers — Tony Kanaan, Dario Franchitti and Bryan Herta — returning next year.
Team spokesman Al Larsen said Monday he could not confirm either move.
Andretti is perhaps best known for carrying forth his father's legacy of bad luck at the Brickyard; he had retired following the 2003 Indy 500 with the dubious distinction of leading the most laps there — 426 in 14 starts — without winning at least once.
His return would be a major boost for the IRL, which has been trying to gain fan support over the past decade since its split from CART, now known as Champ Car. The series made headway this year with the emergence of Danica Patrick, who finished fourth in the Indy 500.
Andretti, whose father Mario won the 1969 Indy 500, was one of several second generation drivers that joined the Indy car circuit in the 1980s and 1990s.
The Andretti family has long evoked passion among Indy fans. During the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, many were either fans of Mario Andretti or four-time Indy winner A.J. Foyt. But while Foyt's career was defined by Indy wins, the Andrettis' fate at Indianapolis has long been associated with heartbreak.
Mario Andretti spent much of his career chasing an elusive second trip to Victory Lane — a trip that never came before his final Indy run in 1994. Talk of a possible Indy return in 2003 ended with a spectacular crash during testing as his car flipped end over end after hitting debris on the track.
While Michael's final Indy race ended with a golf cart ride after yet another mechanical failure, Andretti Green Racing has become the IRL's top team since he took it over after the 2002 season.
The team has won 19 of the IRL's 33 races over the past two years as Kanaan won the points championship in 2004 and Wheldon did so this year.
Now, Indy can expect a second round of father-son races between the Andrettis. Michael, who turned 43 in October, has 42 Indy car victories, trailing only his father and A.J. Foyt.
Marco took his first laps at Indianapolis in May, at age 18, and spun out on his first lap. But he was good enough to eventually win three Infiniti Pro Series races as he tried to prove he was ready to drive the more powerful Indy cars.

trish
12-19-05, 09:28 PM
I have a feeling that this is a last ditch effort to "break-out" and get the IRL noticed. That's why Michael is using his son. I would love to see that Honda contract because something in it has to be driving this decision.

Lizzerd
12-19-05, 11:17 PM
Attention all racing journalists:

Please be advised that the publicity stunt, er, top story for the 2006 irl500 will no longer be Danicamania as in 2005. You are instructed to devote all or your attention to Mariomikeymarcomania.

Be advised that I have the final say on who gets press credentials to my playground, and who does not.

Best wishes, and Happy Holidays,

Tony George

Hard Driver
12-19-05, 11:47 PM
Marco will be 19. I think Michael started at 20. Sarah Fisher was 20 when she started. The youngest winner in History was 22.

racer2c
12-19-05, 11:51 PM
Attention all racing journalists:

Please be advised that the publicity stunt, er, top story for the 2006 irl500 will no longer be Danicamania as in 2005. You are instructed to devote all or your attention to Mariomikeymarcomania.

Be advised that I have the final say on who gets press credentials to my playground, and who does not.

Best wishes, and Happy Holidays,

Tony George

And yet over in the NASCAR camp...the shoe size of Micheal Waltrip is a bigger story.

Thanks Tony!

The canned pics at Indy of Grand Daddy, Daddy and Marco will be oh so nauseating. Enough to make the three AP journalist on hand gag I'm sure.

I'd rather send my son to Iraq than Indy. He'd have a better chance of coming home unscathed. :thumdown:

dando
12-19-05, 11:57 PM
Gee whiz, let's bring on Graham and Bobby Rahal. Can't we get an Unser reunion, too? 2 bad AJ can't get his fat @zz into a tub anymore...that'd be a hoot, too. Hey, can Mario do some testing, too? :gomer: :shakehead

And we will yet again hear those immortal words, "Andretti slows down the backstretch!" :laugh:

I guess Indy will once again be the Greatest SPECTACLE in Racing:

Definitions of spectacle on the Web:

* something or someone seen (especially a notable or unusual sight); "the tragic spectacle of cripples trying to escape"
* an elaborate and remarkable display on a lavish scale
* a blunder that makes you look ridiculous; used in the phrase `make a spectacle of' yourself
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Hey, maybe that does still fit! :gomer:

-Kevin

NismoZ
12-20-05, 02:10 PM
Marco, Michael AND a 2-car IPS team. Instead of the HRL maybe we should call it the AGRL?

trauma1
12-20-05, 02:45 PM
from crashnet

Should both father and son qualifying for the race - and few expect all 33 grid slots to be filled in 2006 - it will be the first time that two generations of the famed racing family race together in the 500 since 1994,

racer2c
12-20-05, 02:54 PM
The spin doctors are already hitting the web with stories of how Honda being the only supplier will dramatically reduce per car thus ensuring 33 for May.

“The cost of our engine lease program will be very close to $1.3 million for ‘06, and we’re targeting a cost under $1 million for ‘07,” Clarke expects.

The value of a season-long Honda engine lease in ‘05 was $1.8m - “That means a reduction to almost half this year’s cost in only a 14-month span,” Barnhart outlined.

With all those measures, the League president hopes the IRL’s 2006 field will reach numbers healthy enough to ensure 33 cars in the 90th Indianapolis 500.

“The biggest hurdle to participation in racing is always cost, so we believe these announcement will further encourage participation [in the IRL].

“Not only for the full season, but also the cost of the Indy-only program, both for the full month of May or beginning in the second week [of practice] will be significantly reduced.”

HPD and the IRL expect to reveal the exact new costs of Indy-only participation at a later date.

Link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/21268/)

So it looks like they will have incentives for Indy only entries.

dando
12-20-05, 03:44 PM
So it looks like they will have incentives for Indy only entries.
Buy one tub, get one free? :gomer:

-Kevin

FailureByDesign
12-20-05, 05:40 PM
Andretti running the #1 :saywhat: He must still have the delusion that he won the Indy 500.I wonden how offten we'll here him talk about defending the 500 win. :rofl:

Wabbit
12-20-05, 06:04 PM
Considering his team won last year, yes, he deserves to be able to use the #1.

I might actually watch Indy next year. Michael and Mario are the ones that started me watching racing. I wish Michael and Marco well come May.

/puts on flame retardant underwear

rabbit
12-20-05, 06:11 PM

I might actually watch Indy next year. Michael and Mario are the ones that started me watching racing. I wish Michael and Marco well come May.

I wish Marco well. Michael can kiss my @$$.

fourrunner
12-20-05, 06:58 PM
The "Number 1" in the IRL is a dubious acheivement

Basically "I ran slightly better "flat out" better than you ran flat out!"

So who cares who gets the #1

Mario is the real Icon in the Family ... Marco has a ways to go before he can be rated ... so far he's riding on his last name!

Michael is just a bitter beer face!

Steve99
12-20-05, 08:34 PM
Wheldon should get the #1. It's not like AGR built a better car.

Marco didn't even look impressive in Star Mazda. Does that make him more or less qualified for the IRL?

pchall
12-21-05, 08:36 AM
This just in!

(Nazareth, PA) Dee Dee Andretti is expected to announce today that she will be driving the Andretti Green Racing Honda powered Jim Beam sponsored entry at the 2006 running of the Indianapolis 500. "Ever since my grandson Marco started racing I've wanted to whip his butt," the Andretti matriarch is reported to have said while getting a seat fitting in Indianapolis on Monday. Asked by veteran motorsports journalist Tippy Gomez whether she had any reservations about her entry's sponsorship, Dee Dee answered, "Why, no. I drive faster than Montoya's grandmother when I'm drunk."

RichK
12-21-05, 01:23 PM
GO DEE DEE! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :laugh:

NismoZ
12-21-05, 06:37 PM
I think she'll be driving "fat out" within 6 laps!

nissan gtp
12-21-05, 07:14 PM
nonsense. the #1 is for the series champion, and the sure isn't mikey.

how funny will it be when Marco beats dada :rofl:

chop456
12-21-05, 07:36 PM
how funny will it be when Marco beats dada :rofl:

That'll be grate.

Rocketdoc
12-22-05, 12:40 AM
Mikey should be arrested for child abuse. :mad: :thumdown:

Yeah, right after he's arrested for neuron abuse.... he's firmly in the double digit IQ community.

Rocketdoc
12-22-05, 12:48 AM
Marco Andretti, well who gives a ****. He's 18 years old, not six. He could tell his dad he does'nt want to end up a bag of bone fragments and bolts like Uncle Jeff.....but he did'nt. That whole family has Indyitis and is as relevant to Champcars future as Foyt's Spawn or Barney Oldfields great-grandson. People have to get over obsessing about Indy/Unser/Rahole/Andretti/IRL/IMS ********. Champcar has turned the corner and NONE of those old-time Gomers matter. I've said for years the only way for FTG to "save" the 500 is to turn it into a nostalgia swap meet and vintage race and that's exactly where it is headed. Champcar needs no part of that crap.

Good stuff.

rosawendel
12-22-05, 12:33 PM
follow-up article from espn (oreovicz)
linkamadoodle (espn) (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?series=irl&id=2267174)

best line in the article is the last. question is to mario:

As a parting shot, I asked 'The Old Man' whether we should watch for him in a sixth AGR car next May, and he didn't exactly say no. "I know I'd make the field," he said with a twinkle in his eye.
and he's right. at this point he'd make the field with four laps of the car being towed behind a crew cart.

SurfaceUnits
12-24-05, 11:07 PM
And RM Chimes In:
http://speedtv.com/commentary/21352/
Nobody is denying this third generation racer's potential or pedigree, but it just seems like such a rush job for no apparent reason...Robin Miller has his fingers crossed.

dando
12-26-05, 02:24 PM
And RM Chimes In:
http://speedtv.com/commentary/21352/
Nobody is denying this third generation racer's potential or pedigree, but it just seems like such a rush job for no apparent reason...Robin Miller has his fingers crossed.

The fact Marco Andretti is replacing Dan Wheldon for 2006 on Michael's IRL team is troubling to many members of the open wheel family. Naturally, few if anyone has said anything directly to Michael but drivers, mechanics and owners in both camps (IRL and Champ Car) have expressed their concerns in conversation, phone calls and emails.

"What is Michael thinking?", said one prominent IRL owner. "That kid doesn't have enough miles to be in an Indy car."

One veteran driver added: "Why would you put your son in that buzzsaw with no more experience than Marco has? It's insane."

That seems to be the conventional feeling.
:shakehead

And what's Marco supposed to do? He wants to please his dad and he's being offered one of the best seats in open wheel racing. I called it child abuse when A.J. Foyt threw grandson Anthony to the wolves in 2003 because it was. Marco has eons of experience compared to what IV sported at 19
:laugh:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
12-26-05, 07:23 PM
RM writes Michael might enjoy watching those mile-and-a-half kamikaze runs but he wisely opted not to drive in any of them during his brief IRL tour in '03. How could he feel comfortable about putting his son out there with one oval start?

Oh, its a do as I say, not as I do situation for Mikey?