PDA

View Full Version : Accents

vancouver
12-14-05, 09:59 AM
Whats you favourite accent?

For me, being British and all, it has to be the American and Canadian accents!

Although, i can't tell the difference between the two!

I only like the northern accents not the southern ( e.g texas)

KLang
12-14-05, 11:04 AM
Australian. (think Bronte Tagliani :cool: )

indyfan31
12-14-05, 11:17 AM
I was going to say Australian hands down. But I spent a few minutes talking to an Apple support tech the other day, she was Irish. I could have listened to her ALL DAY. :)

Dr. Corkski
12-14-05, 11:39 AM
I only like the northern accents not the southern ( e.g texas)So you don't like the New Jersey accent? :gomer:

Gangrel
12-14-05, 12:06 PM
Whats you favourite accent?

For me, being British and all, it has to be the American and Canadian accents!

Although, i can't tell the difference between the two!

I only like the northern accents not the southern ( e.g texas)

There's a lot more American accents than that...My wife was born English and raised in the midwestern U.S., and people confuse her accent for a New England accent all the time! Then there's the California/surfer accent, the Texas drawl, the Louisiana creole, NYC and NJ accents, and of course, the infamous Chicago accent. Da Bears! :D

As for myself? I feel torn between a russian or a soft Australian accent...

Sean O'Gorman
12-14-05, 12:17 PM
Australian > Southern > ALL

spinner26
12-14-05, 12:34 PM
Does ebonics qualify? cause, no wai'msayin, I's dig dims ebonics yo. :rolleyes:

G.
12-14-05, 12:37 PM
Proper British/Irish from the birds
Auzzie

For some stupid reason, I just cannot accept that people with Southern (US) accents or German accents are intelligent people. This is a character defect of mine.

Warlock!
12-14-05, 12:53 PM
Ohio. The easier it is for me to understand a person, the better.

Ankf00
12-14-05, 01:01 PM
british > scandinavian > southern > texan > *

TKGAngel
12-14-05, 01:09 PM
If a Southern accent is coming out of the right person, it can sound amazing (ex: Josh Holloway from Lost). I also like NYC and Boston accents, but only in smaller doses.

I heart my Buffalo accent. Flat 'A' for everyone!

dando
12-14-05, 01:09 PM
Yeah, but you northern oHIans talk funny. :gomer:

Aussie makes my heart melt:

http://wsyx6.com/images/station/talent/simone_wilkinson.gif

Local news hottie, Simone Wilkinson.

I do like the Scotts, too.

-Kevin

Robstar
12-14-05, 06:07 PM
Definately Irish :thumbup:

trish
12-14-05, 06:11 PM
I like Southern US accents. I hate the New Jersey accent.

mapguy
12-14-05, 06:48 PM
A french accent usually does me in. Especially if the speaker has big zoomers...

Michaelhatesfans
12-14-05, 06:51 PM
British/Irish works for me. I spent a bit of time with a girl from Co. Derry, up in Northern Ireland. That was a good one.

Of course, I prefer Mrs. MHF's London accent, of course. Did I say "of course?"

DjDrOmusic
12-14-05, 07:02 PM
I actually studied dialects in broadcasting school, and I loved the European, Canadian and most of the US accents. The one I could never comprehend or accept was Pittsburgese, Yens Gon Dawntawn? I'm jes jaggin ya! ;) :D

DjDrOmusic
12-14-05, 07:04 PM
...and I use to loathe listening to Myron Cope doing Browns-Steelers games, "Da Bronze are runnin' dawn da feeld!" :saywhat:

anait
12-14-05, 07:23 PM
K, I'm thinking WAY too much about this... :o

I love Irish accents. Love to listen to Bono speak.

Some Scottish accents, like Sean Connery. Nice and gravelly.

Some Australian, like the actor who appeared briefly on JAG.

I think I like different accents for different occasions. :cool:

RTKar
12-14-05, 07:46 PM
K, I'm thinking WAY too much about this... :o

I love Irish accents. Love to listen to Bono speak.

Some Scottish accents, like Sean Connery. Nice and gravelly.

I think I like different accents for different occasions. :cool:

Hmmm...you mention all guys :p

Well then...an Irish lass's, a southern bell, an Aussie :thumbup: even northen Minnesota, how can anyone not like a French accent?

anait
12-14-05, 08:06 PM
Hmmm...you mention all guys

Funny, that. ;)

how can anyone not like a French accent?

Actually, I do like a French-Canadian accent...rougher, more down-to-earth than a Parisien accent. There was this handsome French-Cdn at Le Festival du Voyageur one year, who sold me a necklace and told me I had the most beautiful eyes... :cool:

Stu
12-14-05, 08:16 PM
...and I use to loathe listening to Myron Cope doing Browns-Steelers games, "Da Bronze are runnin' dawn da feeld!" :saywhat:

As much as I hate the Steelers, Cope was awesome. :thumbup:

Anteater
12-14-05, 11:18 PM
You'd have no trouble understanding me, then--despite being born and raised in California, I sound just like a Buckeye! I blame my parents and sisters.

Favorite accents: anything from the British Isles, French, and Brazilian.

Al Czervik
12-15-05, 12:03 AM
Southern Belle for me. Listen to Andie McDowell at the end of Groundhog Day

"It's too early"

"I bought you, I own you."

Not to be confused with General Hillbilly, i.e. INsurance and UMbrella. Makes me cringe...

dando
12-15-05, 12:17 AM
Southern Belle for me. Listen to Andie McDowell at the end of Groundhog Day

"It's too early"

"I bought you, I own you."

Not to be confused with General Hillbilly, i.e. INsurance and UMbrella. Makes me cringe...
Uh, Dukes of Hazard will cure you of that. ;)

My most hated southern accent words are 'sweet tay'? :saywhat: Put down the sugar and step away from the iced tea! :gomer:

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-15-05, 12:35 AM

My most hated southern accent words are 'sweet tay'? :saywhat: Put down the sugar and step away from the iced tea! :gomer:

-Kevin

dude, you're from O-HIO. Like euro-trip and Scott says "we're the manchester united fan club... of O-HIO." just like that... O-HIO...

only minny/wisky have more of a glass house :gomer:

Lizzerd
12-15-05, 12:58 AM
There is a lovely young lady, < 25 years old, petite, thin, long blonde hair, that works a register at the Office Depot where I buy my stuff, and I always hope she's working when I have to go there. I asked her one day where she was from, because I thought her accent was beautiful, and that's not a come-on line. I'm old enough to be her father. It really is a beautiful accent she has. There was nobody else behind me in line at the time and she told me a story about how her immediate family escaped the old Yugoslavia in the mid or late '90's when she was a young girl, when the nasty stuff was going on over there. I asked her if Indianapolis is "Home" now and she said it was, but she missed her homeland and many family members who she knows are either dead or that she will never see again.

TKGAngel
12-15-05, 09:22 AM

-Kevin

Word. Iced tea is meant to be drunk unsweetened with either a lemon or lime slice inside. None of this adding sugar so that its so sweet you get a cavity just looking at the glass.

He did have a nice accent. Sad to say that he died last year, I think. For Australian accents, I would have to go with Phil Keoghan, host of the Amazing Race.

WickerBill
12-15-05, 09:31 AM
Irish. Scottish. British. Russian.

Least favorite:
French. Indian. Rural Georgia.

trish
12-15-05, 09:32 AM
Word. Iced tea is meant to be drunk unsweetened with either a lemon or lime slice inside. None of this adding sugar so that its so sweet you get a cavity just looking at the glass.

I didn't know that.

racer2c
12-15-05, 09:40 AM
My parents hosted exchange students when I was a teen (my sister was the exchange) but I got to stay all summer with two really hot Frenach and Itallian girl. The French girl was petite and pouty and her pouty little voice would melt an iceburg. She didn't shave though.

The Italian girl was tall, dark and beautiful. When she spoke it was like she was singing the words. I would go into a trance when she would speak.

Those two helped allot. ;)

TKGAngel
12-15-05, 11:09 AM
I didn't know that.

Maybe its a regional thing? I know up here most places only serve unsweetened tea.

Ankf00
12-15-05, 11:14 AM
Maybe its a regional thing? I know up here most places only serve unsweetened tea.

definitely a regional thing, sweet tea's a staple over in the deep south... and I'm sure the diabetes that accompanies it is as well

anait
12-15-05, 11:57 AM
It's sweetened iced tea up here, too. Although I don't like it super sweet, just a little bit sweet. Ours doesn't taste liked brewed tea, either...more drink mix sorta thing. :D

Trevor Goddard was the actor from JAG; he died of an apparent overdose in 2003. IMDB says he was actually from London, but was able to do an Australian accent so well he'd often edge out other actors for roles.

So last night I was still pondering over what accents I like :rolleyes:, and ended up dreaming I met a 60 yr old German professor from Harvard named Jurgen. :confused: Oh, well, at least he thought I was cute. :rofl:

Mr anait loves to put on accents (we both like to act, hopefully will do more when the kids are older). So far this week, he's read bedtime stories to the kids in Yiddish, upper class British, and Russian accents. Last night was the Russian accent. It was like having the Russian astronaut from Armageddon in my living room..."Components. American components, Russian Components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! "

KLang
12-15-05, 12:07 PM
Trevor Goddard was the actor from JAG; he died of an apparent overdose in 2003. IMDB says he was actually from London, but was able to do an Australian accent so well he'd often edge out other actors for roles.

I was surprised to see the other night that some floor cleaning product is still running ads he did for them.

dando
12-15-05, 01:53 PM
Oh definitley. It starts in WV and VA and heads south and SW from there. When I stop @ a Wendy's in WV, I get asked, "Sweet Tay?" And I always cringe and reply no. What kills me is that all of the bottled or fountain tea products are sweetened, so it impossible to find good iced tea unless it's brewed. Wendy's actually has good iced tea, as does Skyline. Arby's is horrible. I don't frequent BK or MC D', so I don't know about them. Whitey C's requires soda. :)

Back to your normally scheduled thread already in progress...

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-15-05, 02:28 PM
you can't go anywhere in TX and not get unsweetened tea, fountain products/fast food joints notwithstandings... but almost all normal eateries ALWAYS have some fresh iced tea awaiting :cool: Being an iced tea guy, this is important me. :D

Lizzerd
12-16-05, 02:15 AM
Sweetened iced tea is like putting mustard on a prime rib. Or a TonyCar on a road course.

Gangrel
12-16-05, 11:07 AM
Sweetened iced tea is like putting mustard on a prime rib...

Ahh...you say that because you haven't had prime rib crusted with a nice mustard horseradish cream sauce...mmmmm....

JohnHKart
12-16-05, 02:13 PM
I must have a favorite accent in English but have turned my attention to the accents in Spanish. Bogota, Colombia Spanish is my favorite accent, it's beautiful, close at times to the Spanish in Spain.

John

race chica
12-16-05, 05:41 PM
Oh definitley. It starts in WV and VA and heads south and SW from there. When I stop @ a Wendy's in WV, I get asked, "Sweet Tay?" And I always cringe and reply no. What kills me is that all of the bottled or fountain tea products are sweetened, so it impossible to find good iced tea unless it's brewed. Wendy's actually has good iced tea, as does Skyline. Arby's is horrible. I don't frequent BK or MC D', so I don't know about them. Whitey C's requires soda. :)

Back to your normally scheduled thread already in progress...

-Kevin

everytime i get the brewed tea at McD's i check to see if its stale or not, most of the time it is....

TKGAngel
12-16-05, 06:57 PM
everytime i get the brewed tea at McD's i check to see if its stale or not, most of the time it is....

I would be happy with hot french fries.

I was surprised to see the other night that some floor cleaning product is still running ads he did for them.

Probably depends whether the company has the budget to make a new ad, or they only run a seasonal flight or something. Look at the holiday commercials for Folgers, that focus on Peter returning home. Those commercials have been running for so long, Peter should be ready for his AARP card and have a family of his own.

trish
12-16-05, 07:16 PM
I would be happy with hot french fries.

Ask for them without salt. They have to make a fresh batch. :)

Lizzerd
12-16-05, 09:40 PM
Ahh...you say that because you haven't had prime rib crusted with a nice mustard horseradish cream sauce...mmmmm....

I meant the yellow kind you put on a hot dog. :D

Night Train
12-17-05, 01:33 AM
Southern, no doubt.