PDA

View Full Version : Another one of those Top *** music lists

devilmaster
12-13-05, 02:17 PM
Local classic rock radio station wcsx detroit played the top 400 classic rock albums....

The list is in pdf, unfortunately for some.... (that means downloading adobe reader)

anyways, here's the list
http://www.wcsx.com/content/2005_12400.pdf

racer2c
12-13-05, 02:34 PM
Top 400? Isn't that like everything? :)

Cam
12-13-05, 02:45 PM
This list is crap! :flame: Clash - Combat Rock @ #159 while they put the widely lauded London Calling @ #222???? What a load of BS! :rolleyes: :shakehead

Sean O'Gorman
12-13-05, 05:57 PM
Wow, real controversial. A ranking of albums that are all at least 20 years old. What will those zany radio personalities do next, put Free Bird and Stairway to Heaven at #3 and #8 in the Top 500 classic rock songs next Memorial Day? :rolleyes:

devilmaster
12-13-05, 09:46 PM
Wow, real controversial. A ranking of albums that are all at least 20 years old. What will those zany radio personalities do next, put Free Bird and Stairway to Heaven at #3 and #8 in the Top 500 classic rock songs next Memorial Day? :rolleyes:

Kids don't know s**t. Don't you know that Stairway is number one on a majority of classic rock lists? Learn yer history junior. :shakehead

Sean O'Gorman
12-13-05, 10:01 PM
I know it is, it is in my MP3 playlist. I love the song.

The point is, it has been so long since all 400 of those albums have been released, as well as all 500 songs in the typical countown, that it seems pointless to come out with an annual ranking when the material being ranked is the same every year.

And where is Velvet Underground on that list?????

devilmaster
12-13-05, 10:18 PM
The point is, it has been so long since all 400 of those albums have been released, as well as all 500 songs in the typical countown, that it seems pointless to come out with an annual ranking when the material being ranked is the same every year.

Hmmm. I thought you of all people, with your supposed marketing degree, would grasp and understand the concept of marketing a list to entice discussion and grab listeners.

How I came to know about the list is really the point of why they do it. Sitting in my favorite watering hole last night with my friends, the owner of the pub comes in and sits down with us and started talking about how he was listening a few days ago to some deep cuts from albums in the 300 range of the list. They played 3 to 4 songs from each album. This naturally got everyone into a good discussion about it. After last call, I hop into the truck and throw it on to catch album 5 on the list (who's next) and part of album 4 (hotel california).

I of course threw the discussion up here to see what the older OC'ers thought about it. Mistakenly, I figured that if a member didn't like the music, they really wouldn't comment.

RHR_Fan
12-13-05, 10:22 PM
We played "Stairway" at my final orchestra concert last year, complete with guitar. It was excellent. :thumbup:

~Nicole

Sean O'Gorman
12-13-05, 10:55 PM
Hmmm. I thought you of all people, with your supposed marketing degree, would grasp and understand the concept of marketing a list to entice discussion and grab listeners.

How I came to know about the list is really the point of why they do it. Sitting in my favorite watering hole last night with my friends, the owner of the pub comes in and sits down with us and started talking about how he was listening a few days ago to some deep cuts from albums in the 300 range of the list. They played 3 to 4 songs from each album. This naturally got everyone into a good discussion about it. After last call, I hop into the truck and throw it on to catch album 5 on the list (who's next) and part of album 4 (hotel california).

I of course threw the discussion up here to see what the older OC'ers thought about it. Mistakenly, I figured that if a member didn't like the music, they really wouldn't comment.

I love how you keep insisting that I don't like the music, even though I've said in this thread and elsewhere on OC that the majority of the music that I like is from the 60s and 70s. :shakehead

Besides, if you would read my first two posts in the thread, I mentioned that my beef is with the annual lists of classic rock songs. You know what I'm talking about, they always run them on Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends. How can a ranking of songs that are at least 20 years old change from year to year???

And as far as marketing is concerned, it is mundane stuff like this that is why satellite radio is grabbing so much radio market share.

Dr. Corkski
12-13-05, 11:06 PM

I of course threw the discussion up here to see what the older OC'ers thought about it. Mistakenly, I figured that if a member didn't like the music, they really wouldn't comment.Yeah we get it. You don't like O'Gorman either.

RusH
12-13-05, 11:07 PM
If anything, it`s interesting to see how some of this classic stuff moves up and down in popularity over the years.
Whether a record is rated 20th or 40th is so subjective though, there are so many. But for the life of me, Bob Seger at #2? :shakehead
There is actually about four Seger albums up in the top 50 or so...just can`t stand his music I guess.

Foreigner4 ahead of Rush-Moving Pictures... :saywhat: ?

Sean O'Gorman
12-13-05, 11:08 PM
But for the life of me, Bob Seger at #2? :shakehead
There is actually about four Seger albums up in the top 50 or so...just can`t stand his music I guess.

regional bias

nrc
12-13-05, 11:22 PM

Does it say "supposed" right on the paper? :)

The best part is that they're so easy to do. But "Every album with a track on our playlist by frequency of play." doesn't stir up nearly as much interest. :D

Sean O'Gorman
12-13-05, 11:27 PM
Does it say "supposed" right on the paper? :)

It might, but I'm not sure. There is a bunch of Greek or Latin or something writing on it, maybe it translates to "supposed."

Opposite Lock
12-13-05, 11:37 PM
regional bias

I was wondering about the regional bias. I didn't realize Seger even had that many albums (9?). But only one Nugent album? w.t.f.?

luv,
stan@8mile

racer2c
12-14-05, 12:19 AM
If anything, it`s interesting to see how some of this classic stuff moves up and down in popularity over the years.
Whether a record is rated 20th or 40th is so subjective though, there are so many. But for the life of me, Bob Seger at #2? :shakehead

Foreigner4 ahead of Rush-Moving Pictures... :saywhat: ?

Segar is the worst. Any list that includes that shmuck is worthless to me. But then I don't pay attention to lists.
I haven't looked at the list Steve posted because I know it will make me want to vomit.