PDA

View Full Version : Burgers

Ankf00
12-11-05, 07:15 PM
Bleu Cheese & Jalapeno, Swiss Cheeseburgers :D mmmm, fatty...

-3 large japs, gut the membranes+seeds if you're OGorman
-1 pound fatty beef, 80%/20% is as fatty as they'll grind up at the store :(
-4 oz. package crumbled bleu cheese
-1 Tbsp onion powder
-1 Tbsp garlic powder
-1 Tbsp soy sauce
-1 Tsp salt, a Tbsp if you prefer sudden heart attacks

For later:
-2 slices cheese, swiss
-2 big phatty buns, Kaiser rolls have worked well before

dice, mix, knead, form into 2

get briquettes going

now for most important step:
fix a makers mark & rocks, rum & coke, or whatever tickles your fancy, this is key!

grill, toss cheese on top, melt cheese, toss on kaiser roll, toss on condiments

fix another makers mark & rocks, rum & coke, or whatever tickles your fancy.

enjoy, while Derrick Johnson knocks Drew Bledsoe into the turf, or whichever game your local CBS affiliate may be carrying :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/Ankf00/cheesemelted.jpg

Stu
12-11-05, 07:20 PM
http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/midi/froehlich/d028.gif

Ankf00
12-11-05, 07:28 PM
next time I'll post about microwave meals so you can feel included :gomer:

Stu
12-11-05, 07:54 PM

whatever, the only time i use a microwave is to melt stuff.

extramundane
12-11-05, 09:49 PM
Replace the crumbled bleu with feta, the swiss w/ sharp provolone, add some sauteed 'shrooms, grilled onions, horseradish mustard that would bring down a baby rhino, and a bottle of Allagash Curieux (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/allagash-curieux/38037/) and you've got something to work with.

nrc
12-11-05, 10:37 PM

Maybe you can post about something edible so I can feel included too.

Ankf00
12-11-05, 10:43 PM
guess I can't compete with Ohio's finest, the skyline "chili" :gomer:

http://www.hollyeats.com/images/OhioAndWest/SkylineChili-5Way.jpg

feta & provolone sounds like a good experiment for next weekend :)

racer2c
12-11-05, 10:52 PM
Replace the crumbled bleu with feta, the swiss w/ sharp provolone, add some sauteed 'shrooms, grilled onions, horseradish mustard that would bring down a baby rhino, and a bottle of Allagash Curieux (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/allagash-curieux/38037/) and you've got something to work with.

I like what you be written'! How'd that t-day dinner turn out BTW?

Sean O'Gorman
12-11-05, 10:55 PM
Skyline Chili is disgusting. I had it once, it didn't even taste like chili. There is more meat in a can of Hormel than in that garbage.

extramundane
12-11-05, 10:56 PM
I like what you be written'! How'd that t-day dinner turn out BTW?

Pretty bloody good, if I do say so myself. Most of the traditionalists gorged themselves on turkey, so I had tenderloin leftovers for the first time ever. I gotta stop waiting 'til Thanksgiving to make that stuff.

nrc
12-11-05, 11:07 PM
guess I can't compete with Ohio's finest, the skyline "chili" :gomer:

http://www.hollyeats.com/images/OhioAndWest/SkylineChili-5Way.jpg

feta & provolone sounds like a good experiment for next weekend :)

Mmmm Skyline. Just a three-way is fine, thanks.

Paintergeek
12-11-05, 11:22 PM
Yeah, whats the deal with noodles in chili? Stick with the killer, lose the filler.

Had never heard of that in my life until I met someon at a Steak n Shake a few years back and he ordered some chili and it came oured on noodles like spaghetti.

Man, i dont get that at all.

burger looks good duder.

dando
12-11-05, 11:29 PM
:drools:

I'm with you on that, boss. I'm not picky, but a 5-way is my preference.

Ank, not a bad recipe. BTW, if you don't like the grind in the store, get a chuck 'steak' and grind it yerself in a food processor. That's what I do for real chili.

-Kevin

Ankf00
12-11-05, 11:34 PM

http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/pukey.gif

dando
12-11-05, 11:35 PM
Yeah, whats the deal with noodles in chili? Stick with the killer, lose the filler.

Had never heard of that in my life until I met someon at a Steak n Shake a few years back and he ordered some chili and it came oured on noodles like spaghetti.

Man, i dont get that at all.

burger looks good duder.
Have ya tried it? It's not bad, and a good change of pace.

Oh, and the S&S chili is horrid.

-Kevin

dando
12-11-05, 11:35 PM
http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/pukey.gif
Whitey C's are even better. :D

-Kevin

cart7
12-11-05, 11:46 PM
My heart slowed about 10 beats just looking at the picture! :eek:

Sean O'Gorman
12-12-05, 01:55 AM
For the record, the Steak & Shake stuff is actually pretty good. But like I said, Skyline=suck

chop456
12-12-05, 02:20 AM
The king:

http://www.bishopschili.com/

:thumbup:

Tony George
12-12-05, 02:20 AM
For the record, the Steak & Shake stuff is actually pretty good. But like I said, Skyline=suck

Like the Browns???

Stu
12-12-05, 07:21 AM
Skyline puts water in their chilli. Thats nasty.

Skyline is for southern ohioans.

racer2c
12-12-05, 09:53 AM
Steak and Shakes in FL sux! Who wants to have a waitress bring you $7 hamburger that is arguably not even as good as the Wendy's next door and then I have to tip her on top of it. The one time I went it cost me $20 for two crappy hamburgers. No wonder we were the only ones in there. :thumdown:

vancouver
12-12-05, 10:34 AM
This thread dispells the notion that men never step into the kitchen!

I like the fact that we have gone for fast food!

Can anyone add any vegetarian recipes for people like moi!

race chica
12-12-05, 04:20 PM
BTW, if you don't like the grind in the store, get a chuck 'steak' and grind it yerself in a food processor. That's what I do for real chili.

-Kevin

My dad did that all the time, makes the best chili ever!

extramundane
12-12-05, 04:46 PM

You Ohio people are weird. Where I come from, "three-way" doesn't have anything to do with chili. :eek:

Ankf00
12-12-05, 05:18 PM
This thread dispells the notion that men never step into the kitchen!

I like the fact that we have gone for fast food!

you would need to talk to my mom and sis, b/c all the veggie stuff they taught me went in one ear and out the other :gomer: :D

dando
12-12-05, 05:23 PM
Steak and Shakes in FL sux! Who wants to have a waitress bring you $7 hamburger that is arguably not even as good as the Wendy's next door and then I have to tip her on top of it. The one time I went it cost me $20 for two crappy hamburgers. No wonder we were the only ones in there. :thumdown:
Yeah, I don't get the attraction. The shake part is pretty good, but not the steak.

-Kevin

cart7
12-12-05, 05:39 PM
Love steak and shake burgers and their shoestring fries, after that I've got to go to the Eat-rite greasy spoon to get a decent burger around these parts.

eiregosod
12-12-05, 10:42 PM
is it just me, or does kneaded ground beef not need any 'additives' like onion etc.. ?

Sean O'Gorman
12-12-05, 10:58 PM
You Ohio people are weird. Where I come from, "three-way" doesn't have anything to do with chili. :eek:

Where you come from, the three-way involves people related to each other. :gomer:

extramundane
12-12-05, 11:25 PM
Where you come from, the three-way involves people related to each other. :gomer:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040324/040324_abercrombiefitch_vmed_12p.widec.jpg

skaven
12-13-05, 01:03 AM
Ahhh.... this thread calls me.

Drove past the defunct PPIR on my way to drinks in Pueblo tonight. Bwahahaha... :laugh:

The ank-burger looks yummy coming from a snowgoter engaged to a vegetarian while the Skyline photos are great considering my Cincy livin' grandma sends me pallets a year of Skyline cans.

Fortunately, there's a horde of Indianer and Ohier folk out here who are more than happy to take a couple cans of Skyline home with them after a night o drinkin'. We do our part to keep the Porkopolis profitable and grandma feeling useful. :thumbup:

racer2c
12-13-05, 01:26 AM
is it just me, or does kneaded ground beef not need any 'additives' like onion etc.. ?

I'm with ya. Keep your bacon off of my filet mignon, keep your spices off of my sirloin (Outback), keep your Kraft Itailian marinade off of my ribeye (mother in law), keep your onion soups mix out of my ground beef, and keep your A1 away from all of them (is your steak so bad I need sauce to cover it up?)

:)

Ankf00
12-13-05, 01:30 AM
being a ground-beef purist is something akin to being a fried-oppossum buff. :gomer:

extramundane
12-13-05, 09:52 AM
being a ground-beef purist is something akin to being a fried-oppossum buff. :gomer:

You've obviously never had ground beef from free-range, hormone-free, grass-fed cattle. The difference is amazing and immediately noticeable.

Ankf00
12-13-05, 11:47 AM
no, halal meat does taste amazing... it's dressing it up after you've already mutilated it to all hell that's the issue :)

KLang
12-13-05, 11:52 AM
You've obviously never had ground beef from free-range, hormone-free, grass-fed cattle. The difference is amazing and immediately noticeable.

Kinda OT but, at the request of my wife, I got a free-range, hormone free, etc.. Turkey to fry for Thanksgiving this year. It just didn't taste 'right' to us. I suspect it actually is what turkey is supposed to taste like compared to the usual Butterball but we really didn't enjoy it as well.

Ankf00
12-13-05, 12:02 PM
next time you're grilling steaks or something at home, check out if you've got a Hal'al meat market near by. You probably do over by Katy. Give it a shot, seriously.

TKGAngel
12-13-05, 01:18 PM
I'm with ya. Keep your bacon off of my filet mignon, keep your spices off of my sirloin (Outback), keep your Kraft Itailian marinade off of my ribeye (mother in law), keep your onion soups mix out of my ground beef, and keep your A1 away from all of them (is your steak so bad I need sauce to cover it up?)

:)

So I suppose admitting that I put ketchup on my steak would be equal to sacrilege? :)

devilmaster
12-13-05, 01:28 PM

*shudder*

K, I tain't no vegetarian, but there is something I like to grill now and then with the steaks and such, and it would classify as whatcha lookin for.

Very simple - and good. Grab 3 or 4 Portobello mushrooms (or how many you want). Clean and cut stems off. Coat with good olive oil (or use an infused oil if you so prefer) - sprinkle on some sea salt, cracked black pepper, dry oregano and red chili flakes. Place on a grill or under a broiler and cook till softened. In the last couple minutes or so - if you so choose - place a little goat cheese on top and let it melt. Slice into thin strips, or eat whole.

racer2c
12-13-05, 01:30 PM
So I suppose admitting that I put ketchup on my steak would be equal to sacrilege? :)

I've notified the food police. Please put all condiments down and wait for futher instructions. :)

dando
12-13-05, 01:38 PM
Step away from the kitchen, please. :gomer:

You should watch the Alton Brown Good Eats episode on sauces (it was just on last night even). He pokes fun @ A1, calling it B2, and shows how to make a decent brown sauce fer yer steak. Good Eats! :thumbup:

-Kevin

extramundane
12-13-05, 02:34 PM
I suspect it actually is what turkey is supposed to taste like

Bingo. No preservatives, no hormones, no force-feeding, no unsanitary processing plant, etc. I'm not going to tell you it'll taste better to you - you like what you like- but the beef I get (directly from the farm) definitely tastes different from what you buy at the store, even the 'organic' brands.

extramundane
12-13-05, 02:42 PM
Very simple - and good. Grab 3 or 4 Portobello mushrooms (or how many you want). Clean and cut stems off. Coat with good olive oil (or use an infused oil if you so prefer) - sprinkle on some sea salt, cracked black pepper, dry oregano and red chili flakes. Place on a grill or under a broiler and cook till softened. In the last couple minutes or so - if you so choose - place a little goat cheese on top and let it melt. Slice into thin strips, or eat whole.

I do something similar: baby 'bellas, peppers (usually bell, but any will work), sweet onions (Vidalia preferably), and artichoke hearts. Marinate in basil-infused olive oil, balsamic vinegar, black pepper, sea salt & garlic for an hour or two, skewer 'em up then throw on the grill 'til the onions are blackened. Great with a steak, but pretty good on its own too.

TKGAngel
12-13-05, 03:08 PM
Step away from the kitchen, please. :gomer:

You should watch the Alton Brown Good Eats episode on sauces (it was just on last night even). He pokes fun @ A1, calling it B2, and shows how to make a secent brown sauce fer yer steak. Good Eats! :thumbup:

-Kevin

I have seen AB before and am always amazed at how good he makes the food sound, and how easy it appears.

Regarding the ketchup and the steak, the sad part is, I'm the cook in the family. My mother considers salt and pepper flavorful enough for anyone, while my father's idea of cooking is to throw pepper flakes into anything. I like reading about cooking from you folks here.

Ed_Severson
12-13-05, 03:36 PM
<-------- Any idiot can handle this one ... one of my favorites in the winter. Here's what you'll need:

One of those long Bridgford pepperoni sticks ... I may be out of my gourd, but I think they're 23 oz. Do not, under any circumstances, buy sliced pepperoni; you'll be sorry. Fresh pepperoni from your deli/meatcutter will of course work as well.
Two large baking potatoes, coarsely chopped
One white onion, coarsely chopped
One quarter head of fresh cabbage, coarsely chopped
One 16 oz. bag of frozen shoepeg corn
One 16 oz. bag of whatever other frozen vegetable you're into (carrots, peas, lima beans, etc.)
One quart of tomato juice

Slice the pepperoni into fairly thick slices, roughly a quarter inch or a bit more. Boil 2 quarts of water in a 5-quart saucepan; when you get a rolling boil, add the pepperoni and let 'em swim for about five minutes. After that, add everything else and let it simmer for 45 minutes. Add salt, pepper, oregano, and paprika to taste. Makes between 4 and 5 quarts, and is a great reheater if you need something quick. Add a grilled cheese or peanut butter sandwich and you're all set. :thumbup:

Ankf00
12-13-05, 03:40 PM
^^^ + the 'shrooms post, finally some people getting the intention of the thread :D

G.
12-13-05, 04:00 PM
Can anyone add any vegetarian recipes for people like moi!NO!

:p ;)

Just wait until oddlycalm chimes in about how to slow roast that burger over a three day span. Yum.

(vancouver, if you are a [my word] "militant" vegetarian, I would advise you against reading anything food-related on oc. Pretty positive that the topic will involve seared dead animal flesh at some point. The OC term for vegetarian food is "side dish". Oh, and welcome to OC!)

Just started reading Mr. Brown's I'm Just Here For the Food. Funny and informative.

chop456
12-14-05, 02:21 AM
Bingo. No preservatives, no hormones, no force-feeding, no unsanitary processing plant, etc. I'm not going to tell you it'll taste better to you - you like what you like- but the beef I get (directly from the farm) definitely tastes different from what you buy at the store, even the 'organic' brands.

I've been through slaughterhouses and packing plants and "unsanitary" couldn't be further from the truth.

Ankf00
12-14-05, 02:24 AM
I've been through slaughterhouses and packing plants and "unsanitary" couldn't be further from the truth.

why do meatpackers only test the meat going out to their fast-food customers who test their incoming product themselves, and not the meat that goes to the general public...

meatpacking in places like CO and NE is just as dirty as it always was... well maybe a few notches better, you have to think that 90+ years later they'd have achieved *something*

extramundane
12-14-05, 11:24 AM

Guess it depends on the plants, then. I've been through a couple of Valleydale plants and, as a result, I'll never eat their products again.

G.
12-14-05, 11:41 AM
no, halal meat does taste amazing...Why, exactly?

From my uninformed knowledge, Hal'al meat is the same as any other, it's just prayed over, slaughtered with a knife, and bled out. How is that different from the bolt to the head and bled out?

Does hal'al meat get fed differently?

I'm trying to learn here. I may be having a dinner party with my neighbor/friend/co-worker, who eats only Hal'al (or the other - starts with a z i think).

Ankf00
12-14-05, 01:11 PM
well, maybe it just coincidentally happened to be halal as well, but went with my Paki buddy to his butcher, the cow chopped up at his place apparently had the 5 star treatment while still living, no steroids, etc...

http://www.soundvision.com/info/halalhealthy/halal.kosher.asp

Halal is a comprehensive Islamic term encompassing not only the matters of food and drink, but all other matters of daily life.

http://www.tahira.com/web/certification.htm

Throughout the cycle of raising of livestock for human consumption, the utmost courtesy and respect towards the animal is obligatory.

I think that's the part that mandates the animal be able to get regular exercise, have a reasonable amount of space to live in, only vegetarian & organic feed, no steroids, etc... instead of being stuffed into a pen with 0823480320423 others head to toe and shot up full of chemicals...

halal encompases the whole life-cycle not just the slaughter... and they can't slaughter any animal they think isn't completely healthy either.

another one I found:http://macdonald.hartsem.edu/mattsonart2.htm

At the same time, the Qur’an and the Prophet Muhammad restricted the way animals can be killed for consumption and the kinds and amounts of meat that can be consumed.

During their lives, animals must be treated kindly and with dignity; among the practices explicitly forbidden by the Prophet Muhammad are the castration of animals, branding or striking animals on the face, loading them with very heavy burdens, cutting off a piece of flesh from a live animal, separating baby animals from their mothers and delaying the milking of animals to the point that their udders become uncomfortably full. If animals are to be killed for food, many rules to prevent the suffering of the animals must be observed. When the Prophet Muhammad observed a man sharpening his knife in the presence of an animal he said, “Do you want to inflict death on the animal twice—once by sharpening the knife in its sight and once by cutting its throat?”[5] Thus, conscious effort should be made to shield the animal from any fear that it will be harmed.