PDA

View Full Version : It's blockbuster season

G.
12-09-05, 02:30 PM
End of year movies coming out. What's the buzz?
Anything sound good this year?

I'm so out of the loop on movies. I think that last movie I saw in a theater was Jimmy Neutron. :laugh: I may actually go see one or two this year! Yay me!

I kinda looking forward to that good old-fashioned cowboy movie that coming out. What's it called, "Brokeback Mountain"?

Yep, good ol' cattle rasslin, gun slingin' shoot-em-up will hit the spot.

Ankf00
12-09-05, 02:37 PM
I kinda looking forward to that good old-fashioned cowboy movie that coming out. What's it called, "Brokeback Mountain"?

and it involves 2 gay ranch hands too, notthattheresanythingwrongwiththat ;) the "defense of marriage" folk have been in quite a tizzy over the book & impending movie lately. The book did win a Pulitzer...

I'm going to check out The Polar Express and Batman Begins soon... Lords of Dogtown too to see how it compares against the documentary w/ similar name which chronicled the origins of skateboarding down in socal, the docu was a great flick :thumbup:

Read mixed reviews about Kingdom of Heaven, but Ridley Scott directed it so I'll check that out too I think...

and if you don't watch Arrested Development, go rent the first season, you can thank me later :)

chop456
12-09-05, 02:53 PM
Not exactly new, but if you haven't seen it yet, rent "The Life Aquatic". It's the best movie I've seen in a long time, especially if you like Wes Anderson's stuff. Killer soundtrack, too.

As long as we're talking about stale movies, Donnie Darko fits that bill, too.

Wabbit
12-09-05, 03:06 PM
If you haven't read Goblet of Fire, don't see Harry Potter. I left the theater going huh? They seemed to have skipped a couple of important parts.

dando
12-09-05, 03:18 PM
End of year movies coming out. What's the buzz?
Anything sound good this year?

I'm so out of the loop on movies. I think that last movie I saw in a theater was Jimmy Neutron. :laugh: I may actually go see one or two this year! Yay me!

If you go to see a movie, King Kong looks to be killer. It's getting alotta buzz.

If you want a good, light, family-friendly comedy rental, try Mystery Alaska. It's a hoot.

-Kevin

tllips
12-09-05, 03:35 PM
Not exactly new, but if you haven't seen it yet, rent "The Life Aquatic". It's the best movie I've seen in a long time, especially if you like Wes Anderson's stuff. Killer soundtrack, too.

Is this the one with Bill Murray??

skaven
12-09-05, 03:36 PM
King Kong is on the list for sure. I am excitement. :gomer:

Narnia has a decent rottentomotoes rating (currently at 76% fresh), so I might see that one too.

I have read Annie Proulx's Wyoming Stories - good story, but I think Brokeback Mountain is more of a Netflixer. Lords of Dogtown is pretty tight - rent it if you liked the documentary. Watched it two or three times coming back from Europe in Sept.

Batman Begins is good (saw it last week on Netflix). Stay far, far away from Kingdom of Heaven though. Aeon Flux is 10% fresh. Ughhh...

However, after King Kong, the next movie on my list is First Descent - a Z-Town-esque docu-drama about the start of snowboarding. w00t ! ! !

KaBoom21
12-09-05, 03:48 PM
and it involves 2 gay ranch hands too
No, that's Bareback Mountain. :eek:

dando
12-09-05, 04:04 PM
Is this the one with Bill Murray??
Yup.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0362270/

-Kevin

dando
12-09-05, 04:07 PM
King Kong is on the list for sure. I am excitement. :gomer:

Narnia has a decent rottentomotoes rating (currently at 76% fresh), so I might see that one too.

I have read Annie Proulx's Wyoming Stories - good story, but I think Brokeback Mountain is more of a Netflixer. Lords of Dogtown is pretty tight - rent it if you liked the documentary. Watched it two or three times coming back from Europe in Sept.

Batman Begins is good (saw it last week on Netflix). Stay far, far away from Kingdom of Heaven though. Aeon Flux is 10% fresh. Ughhh...

However, after King Kong, the next movie on my list is First Descent - a Z-Town-esque docu-drama about the start of snowboarding. w00t ! ! !
Lots of buzz about Munich, too. That's not flick that looks to require a big screen, tho. TLTW&W is on my list as well. I had no idea about the religious implications of the books until recently. I guess CS Lewis stirred up a hornets nest.

-Kevin

TKGAngel
12-09-05, 04:47 PM
I highly recommend RENT. Great cast, great story, great soundtrack, but if you've seen the stage show, the movie version may be a little jarring.

Munich looks like one of those movies that would be really good to watch from the comfort of my own couch.

No interest in seeing King Kong. I think the special effects are completely overdone and look really fake.

Ankf00
12-09-05, 08:12 PM
harold & kumar go to amsterdam...

http://www.moviehole.net/news/20051209_second_course_at_white_castle.html

Opposite Lock
12-09-05, 08:34 PM
harold & kumar go to amsterdam...

http://www.moviehole.net/news/20051209_second_course_at_white_castle.html

Cool! You were great in the first one!

btw, if anyone rents the dvd of White Castle, leave it in the player for a little while without selecting Play or anything. Mild hilarity ensues.

oddlycalm
12-10-05, 06:39 PM
harold & kumar go to amsterdam... Dude, where's my slider crosses the pond, eh? Since success for comedies depends solely on the talent of the actors and the writing (which broke down toward the end of H&K #1), I'm not sure taking the show on the road will add anything.

The only film that may get me to brave the cineplex during sniffle season is 'Syriana'. Not sure I wanna wait 6 months for the DVD...

oc

Ankf00
12-13-05, 02:02 AM
batman rocked. :cool:

re: Syrianna: had 2 friends that fell asleep during it, which is very unlike them, read some reviews that said it was a bit of a mundane flick as well, kind of as to Traffic as Snatch is to Lock Stock...