PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR agrees to 8-year ESPN/ABC deal

dando
12-07-05, 02:12 PM
Holy Bajeebus!

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?series=wc&id=2251049

So NBC is out.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- NASCAR agreed to an eight-year television deal Wednesday that will split its schedule among four networks beginning in 2007.

NASCAR's 36-race schedule will be divided among ABC/ESPN, Fox and TNT, and the annual all-star race will be aired on the Speed Channel. The deals with all the networks will run through the 2014 season.

Wonder what this means for the bradcast partner's relationship with the .1RL? :D FTG! I can see the flames....

-Kevin

chop456
12-07-05, 02:13 PM
OLN is currently increasing their motorsports presence. :gomer:

Howdy, partner! :laugh:

RichK
12-07-05, 02:15 PM
ESPN is a long way back from doing interviews in parking lots & helo pads!

dando
12-07-05, 02:22 PM
OLN is currently increasing their motorsports presence. :gomer:

Howdy, partner! :laugh:
Why not? They took on another .1 orphan in the NHL. If the take on the .1RL, they should just change the name of the network to .1LN. ;)

-Kevin

JLMannin
12-07-05, 05:26 PM
Why not? They took on another .1 orphan in the NHL. If the take on the .1RL, they should just change the name of the network to .1LN. ;)

-Kevin

I like 0LN better. More subtle.

TKGAngel
12-07-05, 05:39 PM
Wonder what this means for the bradcast partner's relationship with the .1RL? :D FTG! I can see the flames....

-Kevin

Well, there is still ESPN2 for no one to watch the IRL races on.

Gnam
12-07-05, 05:42 PM
ESPN's networks also will be home to the lower-tier Busch Series. While most of the Busch races will be on ESPN2, the deal calls for no less than three events to air on ABC.
IRL's gonna get squeezed out there too. :D

cameraman
12-07-05, 05:45 PM
Just bloody wonderful...

SPEED will increase NASCAR programming as the continuing exclusive home for the Craftsman Truck Series as well as the new home for the Gatorade Duels, Nextel Cup Series Pit Crew Challenge and Nextel Cup Series All-Star Challenge.

"This new television package solidifies the evolution of NASCAR TV on SPEED," said Hunter Nickell, SPEED executive vice president and general manager. "Building on our signature Daytona Speedweeks coverage, the viewership growth of the Craftsman Truck Series since moving to SPEED and the success of popular SPEED programs like NASCAR This Morning, Trackside and Inside Nextel Cup, the network is excited to have the opportunity to elevate fan-favorite events, including the Gatorade Duels, the Nextel Cup Series Pit Crew Challenge and the Nextel Cup Series All-Star Challenge."

Wally
12-07-05, 06:10 PM
Whatever.........does this mean Speed could possibly return to some sort of normality or must the hilljack reality fest continue? :shakehead

Methanolandbrats
12-07-05, 06:34 PM
Whatever.........does this mean Speed could possibly return to some sort of normality or must the hilljack reality fest continue? :shakehead I'm afraid it means watching Mikey Waltrip having his **** bleached will be the norm. :(

Steve99
12-07-05, 07:50 PM
So is ESPN2 going to become NASCAR-TV2 every evening?

TKGAngel
12-07-05, 08:27 PM
I'm afraid it means watching Mikey Waltrip having his **** bleached will be the norm. :(

Only if Ken Schrader was around to give Mikey his 'WTF, are you really that stupid look?'

If NASCAR's going to air on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2, does this mean the IRL gets shunted to ESPNU or ESPNnews?

Lizzerd
12-07-05, 10:17 PM
Whatever.........does this mean Speed could possibly return to some sort of normality or must the hilljack reality fest continue? :shakehead

It means they should just quit calling themselves SPEED and officially rename the channel NASCAR-TV. :mad: Not :mad: at you, Wally, :mad: at SPEED.

devilmaster
12-08-05, 04:04 AM
If NASCAR's going to air on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2, does this mean the IRL gets shunted to ESPNU or ESPNnews?

ESPN 8 - The Ocho!

Insomniac
12-08-05, 09:06 AM
Finally! Someone who doesn't have a racing package or football on Sunday afternoons. ChampCar, please get all your races on one channel starting in 2007, NBC.

Andrew Longman
12-08-05, 10:36 AM
So NBC is out.
-Kevin

I believe TNT is an NBC property.

tllips
12-08-05, 10:51 AM
I believe TNT is an NBC property.

Doesn't General Electric own NBC?

And I think TNT is owned by Time-Warner. Turner must have a stake in it somewhere though. Is he a big shareholder of Time-Warner?

Insomniac
12-08-05, 01:09 PM
Doesn't General Electric own NBC?

And I think TNT is owned by Time-Warner. Turner must have a stake in it somewhere though. Is he a big shareholder of Time-Warner?

TNT is owned by AOL Time Warner, but I don't think Ted Turner is a majority share holder any more.

And GE does own NBC (and Bravo and USA Newtork).

dando
12-08-05, 04:52 PM
TNT is owned by AOL Time Warner, but I don't think Ted Turner is a majority share holder any more.

And GE does own NBC (and Bravo and USA Newtork).
The Mouth is a big shareholder of TWX, but he's only a minority stakeholder now.

-Kevin

devilmaster
12-09-05, 11:17 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-motorsportscompaniesdownafter&prov=ap&type=lgns

Motorsports companies down after NASCAR TV deal disappoints
By MARY ELLEN LLOYD, AP/Dow Jones Newswires
December 8, 2005

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Shares of motorsports companies fell Thursday after NASCAR's new television rights package fell short of some expectations.

Shares of Daytona, Fla.-based International Speedway Inc. dropped $5.56, or 11 percent, to $47.24 a share on the Nasdaq Stock Market

Shares of Speedway Motorsports Corp. of Concord, N.C., fell $3.47, or 8.9 percent, to $35.50 a share on the New York Stock Exchange.

NASCAR Wednesday announced an eight-year package of contracts valued at $4.48 billion with the Walt Disney Co. units ESPN and ABC, the News Corp. Fox channel and Speed Channel networks and Time Warner Inc. unit Turner Sports.

The industry's average annual fee of about $560 million for television rights under the latest contract represents a 40 percent increase over the current average of $400 million, A.G. Edwards said in a note to clients downgrading the stocks. The firm had expected a six-year-deal with a total value of $3.91 billion, or about $652 million annually. "We believe our expectations were one of the more conservative on the Street," analyst Tim Conder wrote.

Stu
12-10-05, 02:00 PM
Finally! Someone who doesn't have a racing package or football on Sunday afternoons. ChampCar, please get all your races on one channel starting in 2007, NBC.

NBC could work but I highly doubt it. Champ Car isnt ready for the big time.

NBC still has big contracts for Sunday Night Football, Arena Football, the Olympics, College Football, and Horse Racing.

They'd have trouble with CC every Sunday cuz of Arena Football early in the season. It'd be a slim possibility if they held races on Saturday in the spring, and Sunday in the summer and fall.

Ankf00
12-10-05, 02:23 PM
Arena Football is a joke.

Sunday Night Football is, well, at night; and that will only coincide with the Champ Car sched for a couple of months.

NBC only televises Notre Dame home games, they have nothing else to do with College Football outside from the Gator Bowl which obviously isn't during CC season; the ND sched totals to about 2-4 games coincident w/ Champ Car season and those are on Saturdays not Sundays.

The Summer Games occur once every 4 years.

And honestly how often is horse racing televised in the first place?

dando
12-10-05, 03:35 PM
NBC could work but I highly doubt it. Champ Car isnt ready for the big time.

NBC still has big contracts for Sunday Night Football, Arena Football, the Olympics, College Football, and Horse Racing.

They'd have trouble with CC every Sunday cuz of Arena Football early in the season. It'd be a slim possibility if they held races on Saturday in the spring, and Sunday in the summer and fall.
NBC also has a few PGA events, the US Open (golf), tennis (Wimbledon, French Open), and the NHL.

Stick with CBS and build the brand and benefit from ALMS being on CBS as well.

-Kevin

Stu
12-10-05, 04:38 PM
Arena Football is a joke.

Sunday Night Football is, well, at night; and that will only coincide with the Champ Car sched for a couple of months.

NBC only televises Notre Dame home games, they have nothing else to do with College Football outside from the Gator Bowl which obviously isn't during CC season; the ND sched totals to about 2-4 games coincident w/ Champ Car season and those are on Saturdays not Sundays.

The Summer Games occur once every 4 years.

And honestly how often is horse racing televised in the first place?

I think horse racing is on 4 or 5 times a year.

Arena Football may be a joke, but its on NBC in the Spring, and gets similar ratings to CC on CBS.

Dando brought up a lot of other sports NBC carries.

It's not gonna happen.

Ankf00
12-10-05, 04:56 PM
yes, and you know how arena football games take 5 hours every afternoon they're on, perhaps you've heard of this thing called a "double-header"...

seems in the past abc managed to pair CC and golf easily enough, and it's not as if CBS doesn't have its share of NFL and PGA obligations as well, you know, sunday AFTERNOON football? Since when did NHL start airing on broadcast Sundays?

airing on NBC is hardly the impossible situation you make it out to be

Stu
12-10-05, 05:01 PM
yes, and you know how arena football games take 5 hours every afternoon they're on, perhaps you've heard of this thing called a "double-header"...

seems in the past abc managed to pair CC and golf easily enough, and it's not as if CBS doesn't have its share of NFL and PGA obligations as well, you know, sunday AFTERNOON football? Since when did NHL start airing on broadcast Sundays?

true, they can move stuff around and squeeze it in if they wanted to.

if they wanted to.

Sean O'Gorman
12-10-05, 05:08 PM
They'd want to if it is a time buy. ALMS has been on NBC for years.

dando
12-10-05, 06:23 PM
Sweet! And now NBC has curling on, eh? :gomer:

-Kevin

trish
12-11-05, 09:22 AM
Stocks fell with new tv deal announcement. http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-motorsportscompaniesdownafter&prov=ap&type=lgns

Kevin Tynan, an analyst covering International Speedway with Argus Research, said he didn't consider the contract specifics particularly disappointing. "I think they're actually pretty good considering it's 43 guys making left turns all day," he said.

Insomniac
12-15-05, 01:35 PM

Exactly. ChampCar and NBC can certainly work it out. Obviously ChampCar will have to work around the guys already there, but that can't be that big of a deal. ChampCar can adjust the start time of most U.S. races. CBS no question has Sunday afternoons blocked for the NFL season. Sure, they don't have double headers every weekend, but the local market gets to choose which game they want to show, early or late. So fans would be faced with the Miami situation of a couple years ago.

On NBC, they're always on one network. So maybe some golf fans stick around, or Arena league fans do. It's hard to expect peoiple to jump around as much as ChampCar does.