PDA

View Full Version : Another business regulated out of CA

RacinM3
12-07-05, 02:08 PM
The surfboard industry is a small one, but still it is a $200 million industry. A LOT of people depend on it for their jobs. As of Dec 5, 2005, Clark Foam, the company that makes the foam blanks that are the basis of surfboard shapes (the foam is shaped into the surfboard, then the fiberglass and resin is applied for the hard outer shell) shut it's doors suddenly after over 40 years of production, claiming it was being harassed too much by government regulators over the storage and use of a chemical called TDI, essential in production of the foam.

The industry assumes that foam production will continue in places like Thailand and Australia, but Clark Foam provided up to 90% of the foam used in surfboard production - so it will take months if not years to meet demand. Meanwhile, local surf shops are doubling and even tripling the price of their current inventories, and small-time shapers are having real problems taking orders, because they have no idea when they might be able to fill them. I've always custom ordered my boards from the smaller shapers like Carl Hayward (RIP) or Chas Wickwire, and shapers like them are going to have their livelihoods taken away.

So, once again, you can thank your goverment (always protecting us from ourselves) for the destruction of yet another industry that was innovative and home-grown in the US, and watch those jobs fly out abroad. :thumdown: :thumdown: :thumdown:

Here is the kind of letter that shapers are getting from their foam distributors:

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Allocation_letter/allocation_letter.html

Here is an article on the closure of Clark Foam:

THE END OF THE CUSTOM SURFBOARD?
Clark Foam closes its doors

Monday December 5th, 2005 was a dark day at shaping bays and in surf shops around the country. Orange County-based Clark Foam -- far and away the world's largest supplier of surfboard blanks -- shut its doors after over 45 years in business due to a series of ongoing environmental and safety concerns.

The main issue, as outlined by Gordon 'Grubby' Clark in a seven-page fax that was circulated among shapers today, is a toxic chemical in use at Clark Foam called Toluene Di Isocynate, commonly called TDI. Most companies using this chemical have already left California; in 1999, the federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) implemented a slightly weaker version of California's existing anti-TDI law, while California itself instituted stronger laws. The Orange County Fire Authority repeatedly reported Clark Foam to other government agencies, including the 9th district of the EPA, who gave the blank manufacturer a 10-page citation that is still unresolved. "The seriousness of the citation could mean that I have to go to prison and be fined an astronomical amount of money," Clark writes in the fax.

Other issues contributing to the closure were, according to the fax, polyester resin, dust, trash, and the fact that almost all the technology inside the factory was designed and/or built by Clark specifically for making surfboard blanks. And due to the fact that all Clark's equipment is original, the EPA claims is does not meet industry standards.

"The only apology I will make to customers and employees is that I should have seen this coming many years sooner and closed in a slower, more predictable manner" Clark writes. "I waited far too long, being optimistic rather than realistic."

The fax is slightly cryptic, because, as Clark writes, "I have been advised by my attorney to say as little as possible. I do not want this document to be used as an admission of wrongdoing nor am I going to help the government prosecute me." But while its explanations were less that clear, its effects were immediately felt around the world.

San Diego-based boardmaker Rusty Preisendorfer received his regular shipment of blanks at noon today, and the fax came through at 2pm. "It was a really heavy afternoon," Rusty said. "And it was really sudden -- I wish he'd have given us a little warning. I have a whole warehouse of employees to think about, not to mention everyone else in the industry."

And it's not just a few SoCal surf companies or shapers that'll be affected, either -- anyone that buys surfboards will be hit. It's estimated that 90% of the world's blanks came from Clark Foam. Grubby developed, designed and built all his own technology and guarded it ferociously and his well-known aggressive business practices and unending pursuit of innovation assured him the lion's share of the market. Sure, there are other blank manufactures in Australia and a few here in the US, but no one is prepared to deal with the huge gap left by Clark Foam's closure. Surfboard prices will go up overnight and shapers still aren't quite sure what will happen next.

Ryan Sakal, of Sakal Surfboards in Huntington Beach is concerned. "I've never used anything other than Clark Foam," he says. "I don't have any backup or any contacts on how to get anything else."

Some folks think Clark Foam's closure is the beginning of the end. "The culture around the custom shaper is getting smaller," Allan Seymour, longtime industry observer, surf auction organizer and friend of Clark's explained. "This is definitely the end of an era."

"In the short term, it's a really big challenge," Rusty continued. "But I'm sure we'll find other sources of foam."

Other big name shapers are reeling but optimistic as well. Rich Harbour of Harbour surfboards posted the following on his website: "I have been on the phone non-stop for the past 6 hours. I have talked to many old friends in the industry and we all are confident that this billion-dollar industry will survive. There are many options, such as Australian foam, overseas foam and PVC foam. Over the next few days we will look into all of these and come up with some solutions. We have a stock of blanks on hand, but customers will have to be a little more flexible on their choices. In closing, Harbour Surfboards has been at this since 1959 and have no thoughts of quitting. There will be a solution, and we will find it."

Gordon Clark himself sees an end of an era. "When Clark Foam started it was a far different California," he writes. "Businesses like Clark Foam were very welcome and considered the leading edge of innovation and technology. Somewhere along the way, things have changed."

Stay tuned to Surfline as this story unfolds.

Although everyone agrees that the production of this foam created hazards, one has to believe that there was a compromise possible that could save a whole industry. :rolleyes:

Methanolandbrats
12-07-05, 02:18 PM
That state sucks. Too many laws where a few people decide what's right for everybody else. Morons want to outlaw selling auto paint to individuals too. Also no diesel cars. Worse yet other states sometimes adopt California laws. Once all the business' leave, there will be nobody to pay the bills. The Feds might as well make a pre-emptive strike and give it back to Mexico.

RacinM3
12-07-05, 02:26 PM
Don't forget that it's not just about CA on this one - the EPA is involved, and it's not like production will go to, say, Arizona. It's going to go to another country .

Ankf00
12-07-05, 02:37 PM
Don't forget that it's not just about CA on this one - the EPA is involved, and it's not like production will go to, say, Arizona. It's going to go to another country .

he should set up a reverse immigration system, set up shop in Tijuana, have his peeps come south during the day, pay off the federales so he pays no taxes, and his peoples pay no US or CA income tax as revenge :gomer:

RichK
12-07-05, 02:40 PM
Of all the industries for California to f**k, the surfboard industry is the most ironic & saddening considering the state's image, culture and way of life.

I wonder why Clark Foam didn't relocate to Tijuana?

indyfan31
12-07-05, 02:42 PM
There's more to this than Clark is saying. There's an article in the O.C. Register, the writer contacted the EPA who said "Clark's plant is safe and in full compliance with state and federal codes, including how it stores TDI."
As tragic as this closure is, one of the two sides is lying.

RichK
12-07-05, 02:42 PM
ank, you and I posted about Tijuana. MANY U.S. companies are already doing this. I spent a couple years travelling to Tijuana once per week. Lots of Americans cross the border daily to work there, so it can be done.

Ferdman
12-07-05, 02:47 PM
That state sucks. Too many laws where a few people decide what's right for everybody else. Morons want to outlaw selling auto paint to individuals too. Also no diesel cars. Worse yet other states sometimes adopt California laws. Once all the business' leave, there will be nobody to pay the bills. The Feds might as well make a pre-emptive strike and give it back to Mexico.

That's why we refer to this place as The People's Republic of Kalifornia.

I was thinking of buying a new stick to resume surfing again. I did price some surfboards on the North Shore of Oahu over the Thanksgiving holiday and thought the prices were steep. That was before Dec. 5. :mad:

coolhand
12-07-05, 04:28 PM
It's kinda ironic that surfers are all enviornmentalist when it comes to keeping the oceans pristine and stuff but yet their surfboards use some of the most toxic chemicals around.

RacinM3
12-07-05, 04:40 PM
There's more to this than Clark is saying. There's an article in the O.C. Register, the writer contacted the EPA who said "Clark's plant is safe and in full compliance with state and federal codes, including how it stores TDI."

I have seen similar things written today now, such as the OC Fire Authority spokesperson who said that the plant is in compliance and that Clark is getting up on a soapbox, while in the background he is really just closing up shop for business reasons.

Like you said, someone is lying. I hope it's not Clark. Why wouldn't he simply unload the business, if that were the case? Maybe too many worker's comp claims due to the volatile chemicals to make the business worth anything?

More will come of this.

Hard Driver
12-07-05, 05:00 PM
I think all the facts need to come out before the "truth" is known. I do know that the feds can be a pain, but the regulations are also there for a reason. I am also certain that if toxic chemicals were poisoning people, maybe you would not think this is such a tragidy. So while I am not one to blindly trust the government. when it comes to the EPA, usually they don't play politics and stuff, they just try to ensure the safety of people. So my guess is that there is either real safety violations that would be too costly to fix, or the owner just decided he wanted to throw in the towel.

racer2c
12-07-05, 05:03 PM
Note to self; foreign surf boards = bad, foriegn cars = good. :)

RacinM3
12-07-05, 05:29 PM
R2C - that's not a fair comparison, and you know it (as I'm guessing by the :) ). There's a difference between an industry at the cutting edge of their field being in essence shut down (if that is indeed what happened here)by the government and an industry that's short sighted and can't seem to pull their heads out long enough to give the public what they want and deserve. In all probability, the US car industry will end up being propped up by the government.

Cam
12-07-05, 05:31 PM
Note to self; foreign surf boards = bad, foriegn cars = good. :)

And just what is wrong with Aussie made surfboards? :saywhat: ;)

Gangrel
12-07-05, 05:35 PM
when it comes to the EPA, usually they don't play politics and stuff, they just try to ensure the safety of people.

You're kidding, right? :rolleyes:

though usually when the EPA errs, it errs in the other direction...

coolhand
12-07-05, 05:51 PM
My favorite EPA agent
http://www.edbrucemusic.com/images/scrapbook/fire2.jpg

oddlycalm
12-07-05, 06:26 PM
Like you said, someone is lying. I hope it's not Clark. Why wouldn't he simply unload the business, if that were the case? Maybe too many worker's comp claims due to the volatile chemicals to make the business worth anything?

More will come of this. Agreed, too early to tell much. Clark has been around doing this since the first foam longboards in the early '60's, but his version leaves some real big question marks in my mind. Legitimate complaint of government BS? Tired of business? Serious illness or onset of demensia?

First, it's a two week shutdown according to independent sources, yet he paints a picture of permanent closure, fines and possibly prison. Second, he's had years to deal with this issue. Third, dealing with this stuff is a well worn path and every company out there that makes flexible urethane foam flats uses Toluene Diisocynate, and all of them are not closing down. If he really didn't want to deal with it, he had the option of moving his operation a couple hours South to Tijauana or (my choice) Ensenada.

One thing for sure is that regardless what anyone thinks, we all want some level of oversight on the the storage and use of TDI. It's a very serious lung toxin, so a fire or explosion has the potential to turn Laguna Niguel into a mini-Bhopal situation. If it got into the ground water us taxpayers would be coughing up megabucks to buy up a lot of Laguna Niguel real estate along with yet another superfund site to clean up. No thanks on both counts.

There are alternative materials out there and with old man Clark on the sidelines, even if it's only for two weeks, I expect people to move in those directions quickly now that Clark has demonstrated he's an unreliable supplier whatever the reason.

oc

Dr. Corkski
12-07-05, 08:24 PM
California. :gomer:

JLMannin
12-08-05, 01:45 PM
Somehow, this must be the fault of the UAW.

theunions
12-09-05, 05:20 AM
The closure (including shutdown of the three-person Wahiawa office) was the lead story in one of the local dailies Tuesday and on the front page of the other's business section yesterday. No mention made of this being anything but permanent.

TrueBrit
12-11-05, 01:42 AM
And just what is wrong with Aussie made surfboards? :saywhat: ;)

You mean OTHER than being Aussie made...??? ;)

TrueBrit
12-11-05, 01:46 AM
:shakehead

Yeah, that whole MAJORITY rules thing bites doesn't it? :shakehead

Funny thing that, surfers are all about the environment, except when it comes to toxic sh** in their boards...

Stick to cheese and we'll all be better off alright matey....

BTW, how are your Packers doing this year....??? ;)

G.
07-14-06, 01:05 PM
Digging into the past...

It's a (free) registation-required site, so I'll post the whole article.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-0607130229jul13,1,3391658.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

Epoxy surfboard riding high after years of disdain

By David Sheff
New York Times News Service
Published July 13, 2006

At 2 Mile Surf Shop in Bolinas, Calif., John Moore guided an electric planer along a thick loaf of foam. Wearing shorts, flip-flops and a ventilator mask, he was shrouded in a swirling cloud of snowlike particles. He was carving what will be -- after it is sanded, wrapped in fiberglass cloth and sealed in a hard finish -- a high-performance surfboard. Though it will look like a traditional board, it won't be one. It will be an example of the most significant shift in surfboard technology in decades -- the embrace of epoxy-finished boards.

Epoxy surfboards have been available since the 1970s, but the flaws of early models hampered their widespread adoption. "Most people who rode them were those who thought it looked cool to drive around with a surfboard on top of their car, but never got wet," said Moore, the owner and shaper of Mystic surfboards. "But that was before Black Monday, when everything changed."

For decades virtually all quality surfboards have been made with a polyurethane foam core, fiberglass cloth and polyester resin. Ninety percent of the foam cores, or blanks, came from a company in Southern California called Clark Foam, whose owner, Grubby Clark, shocked the industry when he abruptly closed his doors last Dec. 5 -- the Black Monday, also known as Blank Monday, referred to by Moore.

Toxin used in manufacturing

In a letter faxed to his customers, Clark said he was succumbing to pressure from state, local and federal environmental officials, which he asserted had targeted him because of his use of a toxin called toluene diisocyanate. Officials have since said that Clark Foam was in full compliance when it went out of business, leaving customers mystified as to what led to the company's demise. (Numerous efforts to reach Clark were unsuccessful.)

With the leading supplier of polyurethane foam out of the picture, the industry reeled. "Some shapers rolled a bunch of fat ones and pulled the blinds down," said Martin Pious, a 47-year-old long-board surfer from Santa Cruz. "But others, even some of the hard-core traditionalists, began to experiment with alternatives."

As a result, epoxy-finished boards -- once considered a laughingstock by most surfers -- got their moment in the spotlight and won fans. Al Merrick, whose company, Channel Islands, sold 20,000 boards in 2005, estimates that 20 percent of his orders for custom boards are now for epoxy, a twentyfold increase since Clark's closing.

Within a few months, new suppliers of traditional polyurethane cores began filling the void left by Clark. But by then, more durable, epoxy-sealed boards had impressed professional surfers and amateurs alike, securing their place in the market. "What changed overnight is that these days just about every one of the world's top surfers has epoxy in his quiver," Merrick said.

Smaller, local shapers, such as Bob Pearson of Arrow, a company in Santa Cruz, now also make epoxy boards. "Six months ago, no one asked for epoxy," Pearson said. "Now there's a conversation, with people asking, `What are the pros and cons?'"

The pros are numerous. EPS foam, which has become a substitute core in epoxy-finished boards, is plentiful and not as heavy to haul around. Because EPS foam -- the same material used for coffee cups and beach coolers -- cannot be coated with polyester, which melts it, shapers use epoxy instead. Boards sealed with epoxy, a hard resin, are much stronger and longer-lasting.

"Regardless of Grubby folding, our industry had to come up with a better surfboard," said Randy French, a shaper who runs Surftech in Santa Cruz, which makes the most epoxy-finished boards nationwide. "What other product costs more than $500 and, used exactly as it's meant to be used, is trashed in from a month or two to a year? The sport of surfing was growing, and we were getting more sophisticated customers who demanded a better product."

`Why did it take so long?'

A competitor, Richard Novak, the owner of NHS, the parent company of Santa Cruz Surfboards, agreed that epoxy is superior: "Now the industry is saying, `Why did it take so long for us to switch over?'"

Both Surftech and Santa Cruz Surfboards were already making epoxy-finished boards before Clark folded, and therefore were positioned to satisfy the increased demand. Their products were better, they argued, because traditional surfboards were susceptible to cracks and erosion of the coating, which can lead to foam getting waterlogged.

"But surfers are stubborn," said French, who has made epoxy-finished boards since 1989. "Original Hawaiian surfboards were made of ulu, koa and wiliwili wood, but redwood, which was much lighter, took over. There were people who said it was sacrilegious to switch." He added: "There are always people stuck in time, but better technology always wins out."

It took decades for shapers to design an epoxy board that was easy to maneuver. The first models "were junk, barely surfable," said Chris Mauro, the editor of Surfer Magazine. "So they got a bad reputation."

In recent years, the most talented shapers have figured out how to work with different thicknesses and densities of EPS foam and to modify their design to compensate for the lighter material. They have been so successful that today's epoxy boards are the fastest-growing segment of the surfboard market, said Travis Wilkerson, the spokesman for the Surf Industry Manufacturers Association. "Serious surfers who never would have considered epoxy are switching," Wilkerson said.

One is John Swinton, who recently bought a sleek epoxy-sealed board. "I thought they were kiddie toys," said Swinton, who surfs San Francisco's Ocean Beach. "But I tried one. It was better than anything I ever surfed before."

Not everyone is as enthusiastic, because of disadvantages, including a higher price: Epoxy boards are often an extra $50 to $150 because their materials cost more.

Nor do all surfers like how they perform. Last month, Michael Tilson, who rode a traditional potato-chip thin board, waited in the lineup at Sewers, a break in Santa Cruz. He caught a steep wave and carved a series of flashy Z's along it. "Try that on epoxy," he said. "Who wants to ride a" -- he spat out a string of expletives -- "beer cooler?"

In addition to handmade epoxy boards, mass-produced, machine-molded boards such as those made by Surftech and Santa Cruz Surfboards, are also available. They are far more durable than tailor-made ones and are designed by some of the world's best.

Weighing the options

More options than ever exist to satisfy surfers of all appetites. A million surfboards are sold each year, from high-end custom ones to shell-less ones similar to boogie boards, the surf association says.

How to decide? Even experts disagree about whether surfers should buy an epoxy-finished board or stick with a conventional one. "If you want bulletproof, buy a molded board," said William Riedel, an award-winning shaper, referring to a mass-produced epoxy board. "If you want the highest performance, you want custom. Of those, epoxy is better -- if it's shaped right."

Rob Machado, the pro surfer, disagreed, at least for big-wave riding. "There are no disadvantages to epoxy in under head-high waves," he said. "But epoxy is less responsive in overhead waves."

And yet, Anthony Tashnick, a 20-year-old from Santa Cruz, made a convincing argument for epoxy by winning the 2005 Mavericks big-wave surf competition on an innovative 9-foot-4 four-fin epoxy board.

"We're going to see more and more epoxy," said Pearson, the Arrow shaper. "Because though surfers moan about everything new that comes along, in the end it all comes down to the ride."

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune

oddlycalm
07-14-06, 02:46 PM
Thanks for posting that G., and glad that the end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it predictions didn't materialize. I'd heard that Tashnick had used an epoxy board at Mavs, but didn't know the rest of the story.

oc

Gangrel
07-14-06, 03:30 PM
Sounds a little like Yoda in Champ Car circa 1999, when Ganassi took his 4 consecutive Honda championships and changed his team over to the engine package that up until then had been the perennial fodder of the backmarkers. Everyone thought Chip was crazy (and I wouldn't say that assertion is completely unfounded ;) ), but it is hard to argue against the fact that he saw the winner emerging before anyone else did.

These epoxy boards sound like they are friendlier on the environment, anyways. I would think surfers would consider that a big selling point in and of itself, much like we scuba divers generally do with our own gear and techniques....

RacinM3
07-14-06, 06:11 PM
After all of this, I'm still on a Clark Foam board. It's getting a little long in the tooth, though, and the majority of the surf I'm in is head-high or less, so I'll be looking into epoxy. I had heard the same things that Machado was quoted as saying in that article about epoxy boards in overhead surf.

Going tomorrow! 68 degree water temp, 80 degree air temp, 2'-3' surf! Not epic, but fun anyway.

RichK
07-14-06, 07:44 PM
68 degree water temp

hmph!! :mad: :cry:

Opposite Lock
07-14-06, 07:57 PM
I had heard the same things that Machado was quoted as saying in that article about epoxy boards in overhead surf.

What creates the differences in performance - rigidity/flexibility? buoyancy? thickness?

Anteater
07-14-06, 10:47 PM
Clark Foam may be gone, but you can buy a Clark Foam t-shirt:
http://beckersurf.com/ProductDetails.asp?product_id=26769&product_subgroup_id=291&KBID=1023