PDA

View Full Version : Wilson and Dinger In Rolex 24

NismoZ
12-06-05, 04:37 PM
Lexus-Riley with Michael Shank Racing. Who's next? They need about 150 drivers, don't they?

cameraman
12-06-05, 07:36 PM
Okay, how will they do that?

Dinger is 5' 6", Wilson is 6' 3.5".

How are they going to change the seat, peddles, mirrors, belt mounts or whatever that much in 30 seconds or so when they change drivers?

How often do drivers differ in size by that much?

Cam
12-06-05, 07:57 PM

How are they going to change the seat, peddles, mirrors, belt mounts or whatever that much in 30 seconds or so when they change drivers?

How often do drivers differ in size by that much?

Dude! Its a Lexus! They have that cool electronic seat position memory thingo! Just push a button, you're good to go. :gomer: :D

FCYTravis
12-06-05, 09:25 PM
Wilson matches up well with rich tall guy Mark Patterson, who's funding the car.

Dinger matches up well with fast short guy Oswaldo Negri, Jr.

extramundane
12-06-05, 10:27 PM
Who's next? They need about 150 drivers, don't they?

For starters...
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/grandam/2005/th/grandam-2005-th-lr-0166.jpg

Steve99
12-07-05, 01:19 PM

I think A.J. will just sit on Justin's lap and steer. :D

Seriously, they say they are doing it with a single seat insert. Good interview over at motorsports.com (http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=206874&FS=GRANDAM-GRANDCUP).

NismoZ
12-07-05, 01:28 PM
Little Al sat on a telephone book in his sprintcar when he was 15. :)

theunions
12-07-05, 03:09 PM

The pit stops I've witnessed in person from start to finish involving driver changes tend to take longer than that just to fully refuel and do other routine maintenance (I suppose that's why they usually don't show pit stops involving driver changes from start to finish on the telecasts). And I suppose that's why unlike in open wheel and NASCAR, that's why they actually will let you shoot over the wall (if you're in Nomex) - because the standard pit stop is typically much more leisurely by comparison.

FCYTravis
12-07-05, 06:59 PM
Driver changes take longer than 30 seconds. Grand-Am rules limit teams to having four crewmen over the wall, plus one firefighter and one person assisting the driver change.

So, two front tire changers, a rear tire changer and a fueler - can't change all four at once like you can on a Champ Car. That limits the pit stop speed.

cameraman
12-07-05, 07:41 PM
I thought you were not allowed to do anything while fueling or is that just tire changing and/or mechanicals?

Sean O'Gorman
12-07-05, 07:47 PM
I thought you were not allowed to do anything while fueling or is that just tire changing and/or mechanicals?

That's ALMS.

Steve99
12-07-05, 07:47 PM
That's a LeMans/ALMS rule. I don't think they have that rule in GrandAm.

cameraman
12-07-05, 07:54 PM
Oh. Nevermind then. :rolleyes: