PDA

View Full Version : New Atlantic engine

KLang
12-06-05, 10:51 AM
Great article by Kirby on the development of the Ford Focus Duratech engine over at Champ Car here (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=9876) .

pchall
12-06-05, 12:46 PM
Just finished reading that during the usual lunch at my desk. Good reading from Gordon Kirby as usual.

High Sided
12-06-05, 01:58 PM
the little engine that could.....
http://www.focusmidgets.com/specs.html
http://www.theracedepot.com/Seymour%20Ford%20Focus%20in%20Shop/600-DSC_0202.jpg

G.
12-06-05, 02:56 PM
excellent article, specially this:

Originally we were planning for a twenty-car field. Now we're expecting thirty-two cars and up to as many as thirty-six. :eek:

NismoZ
12-06-05, 04:50 PM
:thumbup: And THAT is potentially the best CC news since the Cosworth purchase. The CC Atlantic site lists 26 "interested" teams. That's a possible 52 runners. If some don't go and some run just one, that 32 number is VERY possible!

Methanolandbrats
12-06-05, 05:03 PM
:thumbup: And THAT is potentially the best CC news since the Cosworth purchase. The CC Atlantic site lists 26 "interested" teams. That's a possible 52 runners. If some don't go and some run just one, that 32 number is VERY possible! 32 cars + San Jose = rent some extra dumpsters :laugh:

NismoZ
12-06-05, 05:11 PM
That's no idle concern. Youth and inexperience often conflict with lack of room and concrete barriers. Wasn't it the BMWs (Mazda?) who wouldn't run with CC because of the track types? I don't blame them, BUT...if these guys are preparing for a move up to CC then I suppose they'd better get to know the tracks! Fingers crossed for a breakout Atlantic's season and a boost for the parent series! :thumbup:

Lizzerd
12-07-05, 12:47 AM
26 "interested" teams in '06 could mean a small handful of "interested" teams for CC with the new regs in '07.

Bring it on!

pchall
12-07-05, 12:07 PM
[QUOTE=High Sided]the little engine that could.....
http://www.focusmidgets.com/specs.html

Per USAC: The end result of this development work has been an overall gain of almost 55 horsepower, from 120 to 174.

What pikers. ;)

Cosworth offers a "stage two" streetable package with 240 HP.

NismoZ
12-07-05, 01:24 PM
But Cosworth is saying 8500 rpm is the upper limit for reliability and that is what they'll have to do to get 300hp. Hope they don't break. The car count is also a concern with original planning for 4 engine guys to oversee things at the track for 20 cars. With perhaps 32, Atlantics may have to "borrow" some of the 16 who do CC support. Every positive seems to turn up another negative? Can a motorhead out there tell me why Cosworth didn't do a turbo for Atlantics? Would it have required a whole new engine? Too expensive? I still think a few more hp would have been a good thing in light of the openwheel competition both above and below.

cameraman
12-07-05, 01:32 PM
The car count is also a concern with original planning for 4 engine guys to oversee things at the track for 20 cars. With perhaps 32, Atlantics may have to "borrow" some of the 16 who do CC support. Every positive seems to turn up another negative?

What, they can't change their "original planning"? Too much business is now a bad thing and the world will end if they actually hire a fifth person? You live in Alaska? :shakehead

NismoZ
12-07-05, 06:56 PM
Gee, are you saying too much business is a bad thing and the end is near? I certainly wasn't. You'd never overract for dramatic affect, would you? :D I was merely pointing out how positive changes may also cause other concerns that need to be addressed. Perhaps you took that as a criticism? It wasn't intended as such. I'm sure the Business has things under control and we have little reason to worry. I was merely passing along Cosworth's own observations. Would you treat them as harshly? Go CC. :)

DjDrOmusic
12-07-05, 07:46 PM
:thumbup: The CC Atlantic site lists 26 "interested" teams. That's a possible 52 runners. If some don't go and some run just one, that 32 number is VERY possible!

...And in other news, Tony George announced that the Indy 500 will be open to all Formula Atlantic cars. ;) :D Gee, they'd even have a "Bump" day again!

oddlycalm
12-07-05, 08:11 PM
Can a motorhead out there tell me why Cosworth didn't do a turbo for Atlantics? Would it have required a whole new engine? Too expensive? I still think a few more hp would have been a good thing in light of the openwheel competition both above and below. Probably time more that anything. I don't know the Duratech well, but generally a long stroke slower revving engine is a good platform for a turbo. As far as expense, I doubt it would cost more for the turbo and plumbing than to make the Duratech reliable @ 8500Rpm. They had to go to titanium valves and the crank/rod bearing bearing clearances will become ultra critical as will the oil pump performance. Just ask BMW what happened when their 8000Rpm e46 M3 hit the streets with a loud clunk and a cloud of oil smoke... :gomer:

NismoZ
12-08-05, 10:05 AM
CC Prez Steve Johnson just said "upper 30s" when asked about the Atlantic field next season and Sam Schmidt Motorsports is rumored to have bought an Atlantic car for a driver he manages...Jay Howard. Wouldn't THAT be nice!?

skaven
12-08-05, 10:00 PM
Wow... that's a great article. I've never paid much attention to the ladder series in the past other than tracking the champs, but I'll get cable next year if they have a grid in the high 30's.

KK is executing his plan brilliantly. Can you imagine how much fun he's having building up Champ Car? I know I haven't had as much fun being a fan in a long time. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
12-09-05, 07:42 PM
Wow... that's a great article. I've never paid much attention to the ladder series in the past other than tracking the champs, but I'll get cable next year if they have a grid in the high 30's.

KK is executing his plan brilliantly. Can you imagine how much fun he's having building up Champ Car? I know I haven't had as much fun being a fan in a long time. :thumbup: Yep, it's satisfying to watch them build it up by the numbers after seeing it systematically destroyed for a decade.

Atlantics fans should see some terrific racing in 2006. Having a field the approaching the size of Star Mazda for Atlantics was unthinkable a very short time ago.

oc